• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Harry's Law gets a back 6 script order, meaning there'll be an official back 6 sometime in the near future if it doesn't drop this week.

David E. Kelley faithful - this doesn't mean it'll come back next year, just that NBC has nothing else and can just stick the show whenever.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Shadow780 said:
TNrfX.gif
I has a sad. :-(

clav

Bored, I tuned into Last Man Standing last night, and I thought it was OK.

The show on the surface seemed like Home Improvement for the 21st century.

Granted, I don't watch a lot of TV outside of sports, The Daily Show and The Colbert Robert, and the Food Network, but I had a few laughs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
cory. said:
Last Man Standing - 3.5

Good news, as I really enjoyed the show. Laughed out loud several times--I think Tim Allen still has some of that Home Improvement magic left for ABC.

ivysaur12

Banned
cory. said:
Last Man Standing - 3.5

The fact that it self-started at 8 is impressive, but let's see where it goes in a few weeks.

And a look from NY Mag about just how awful Last Man Standing is:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/10/last-man-standing-tim-allen-homophobia.html

Tim Allen's Last Man Standing premiered last night, wringing every precious molecule of humor from the dry, dry well of misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, and the profound hatred of change (well, at least until Work It wrings some more). Ugh, men today — they bathe themselves, and use such villainous, gay-making products like "hair gel" and "citrus body wash." At least at Allen's outdoorsy workplace, it "smells like balls," which is a relief.
So what was the most offensive aspect of the first two episodes? Let's take a look at the contenders!

Standing stars Tim Allen as Mike Baxter, a gruff guy with a long-suffering wife, three daughters, and a toddler grandson. He doesn't want to drive the family minivan, and he won't drop the moppet off at day care because it's too "hippie hippie rainbow." "Ruby's two dads are here and they're making muffins," the wimpy guy in charge of the day care tells Mike. "Flax and pumpkin." "I hope those aren't their names!" Mike zings back, because of all the gay men named Pumpkin.

Then there's Mike's parenting: It's confusing to see him take such an interest in his grandson's child-rearing, considering his relationship with his own daughters. Is not knowing your child's age really something to brag about? "You're grounded until you learn how to change a tire," Mike tells his ditzy middle daughter, over and over. He never explains why he won't just teach her how to do it.

Casual homophobia and crummy parenting aren't new elements to the sitcom universe, which speaks to Standing's insistence on being uninventive. The first episode features a watered-down version of a George Carlin bit about boy names becoming less macho, though it gets the last part of the bit wrong: While Carlin lumps Kyle in with trendy names, Standing I.D.'s "Kyle" as a beacon of masculinity, until Kyle, Mike's office acolyte, himself says that it's his mother's maiden name. Ha, ha-ha, ha. The second episode focuses on the alleged ridiculousness of baby-proofing, which of course leads to a doofy guy getting his head stuck between the slats of a banister. You might recognize that as a plot point from the legendary comedy Full House. When DJ Tanner can solve your characters' problems, you're in trouble.

Lest we forget, there's also toilet humor, both language-wise and literally. The pilot assumes just the mere utterance of the word "anus" counts as a joke, and the second episode finds poor Nancy Travis peeing in a child's potty chair.

Last Man Standing seems to think that its jokes and premise and crappy worldview are, like its hero, endangered somehow. What it doesn't seem to realize is that there's a reason shows like this have gone extinct.

Meier

Saw the synopsis and name for Man Up and can't see it lasting more than 2 episodes. Why do the networks even spend money on some of these shows? Good lord.

TheNatural

My Member!
Stumpokapow said:
It's not a shame, though. Nielsen ratings aren't used to determine which shows are watched. They don't care which shows are watched. They're used to determine how much they can soak advertisers for. Why do they only care about 18-49 year olds? Because advertisers only want to pay for 18-49 year olds. Why are Live+Same Day numbers counted while Live+weeks later numbers not counted? Because advertisers only want to pay for people watching ads within a very narrow window of the intended air time.

If I made a TV show called the "stump cooks eggs happy hour" and literally no one watched the show, literally 0 people, but advertisers were willing to pay millions of dollars for ads, the show would be renewed by tv channels. Nielsen ratings are only important because they set the rates for advertising.

DVD sales and merchandise are, with very few exceptions, frosting on top of the cake. They don't change money-losers to money-winners. Shows are financed by advertising. Yes, people are going increasingly digital or PVRing or catching up on DVD. That's a problem for the industry, because their business model is not set up to profit off shows that everyone watches, but no one watches live. Even international syndication or off-network domestic syndication is seen as a marginal influence on the profitability of a show, even moreso when the primary victor from syndication is the show's production house rather than the airing network.

Pay cable is a little different because subscription fees pay for shows and so there's some indirect value in someone watching a show and maybe that'll eventually subscribe or tell a friend who will or whatever, but network TV is based on advertising.

Maybe in an ideal world, full budget TV shows would be produced exclusively for commercial-free digital and/or DVD audience. We're not there, though. So Nielsen's serve the purpose they're intended to serve.

Good explanation of things, since this Nielsen stuff is made out to be the law of the TV land, my question with all of this is always: how the hell do we know this stuff is actually ACCURATE?

Yeah I get that sampling and all that stuff has shown to be scientifically valid method to get a good estimate of a population, but I have a hard time believing that it can work with something as personal as what someone watches on TV. It seems to me that a lot of this demographic breakdown is so flawed, there's little to be believed.

Another criticism of the measuring system itself is that it fails the most important criterion of a sample: it is not random in the statistical sense of the word. A small fraction of the population is selected and only those that actually accept are used as the sample size. In many local areas of the 1990s, the difference between a rating that kept a show on the air and one that would cancel it was so small as to be statistically insignificant, and yet the show that just happened to get the higher rating would survive. And yet in 2009 of the 114,500,000 U.S. television households only 25,000 total American households (0.02183% of the total) participated in the Nielsen daily metered system.

I find it hard to believe that the size of many pro or college basketball arenas is determining what TV shows are or aren't being watched. And among these people, you're going to tell me that X amount of 18 year old girls are watching this, and X amount of 28 year old guys are watching that, when it's all very personal what someone is interested in or not and the sample size is SO small you're dictating percentage points of what survives or not off of that.

I would like to see what the breakdown of what a shows rating does in this system that causes it to fluctuate week to week. For example, if a show has small ratings, how many more or less people within that sample size causes a rating to go up? It all seems like bullshit that has a ton of flaws.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Disheartening to anyone who likes good television:

Hurr durr

It wasn't that bad. If you're looking for HBO-quality stuff, a Tim Allen comedy is not the right place to look.

There is an audience that has been waiting for a decent family-style sitcom to hit the airwaves again. That's why crap like According to Jim lasted seemingly forever. This show, so far, is light years better than According to Jim.

For those complaining, it will take up a 1/2-hour block of TV one night a week. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

P.S.--It was infinitely more entertaining than Community.

ivysaur12

Banned
Plinko said:
Hurr durr

It wasn't that bad. If you're looking for HBO-quality stuff, a Tim Allen comedy is not the right place to look.

There is an audience that has been waiting for a decent family-style sitcom to hit the airwaves again. That's why crap like According to Jim lasted seemingly forever. This show, so far, is light years better than According to Jim.

For those complaining, it will take up a 1/2-hour block of TV one night a week. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

P.S.--It was infinitely more entertaining than Community.

It's taking up a half hour of television that could go to something better. In an already-crowded field of ABC comedies, the world does not need its weakest (Last Man Standing) to be a breakout hit. It's not as bad as Work It! but it's almost at this level. I also love family sitcoms - not one as atrocious as this.

I'm all for low-brow sitcoms - I've been watching (and enjoying) Workaholics. This was atrocious on multiple levels.

Also, Hart of Dixie and The Secret Circle also get back 9s.

My guess is that this was the point in the development cycle where the writers are breaking the 12th or 13th. Makes it easier to keep up production this way.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

ivysaur12

Banned
Happy Endings was up to a 3.3 (series high, will probably tie series high for a 3.2 in the finals) and Revenge was up to a 2.7. Revenge was #1 show at 10pm - ABC DOMINATION.

I expect full season orders for both of them in the coming days, if not today (Happy Endings only got a 13-season order).

The Middle - 2.8
Suburgatory - 3.0
Modern Family - 5.7 (holy shit)
Happy Endings - 3.3
Revenge - 2.7

Up All Night - 2.0
Whitney (R) - 1.3 (beat out Free Agents repeat)
Harry's Law - 1.2 (most watched NBC show of the night)
SVU - 2.1

Survivor - 3.2
Criminal Minds - 3.7
CSI - 2.6

Ringer (R) - 0.4 (matches H8R)
America's Next Top Model - 0.8

cory.

Banned
Happy Endings should get an Infinity Order®
New episode every day of the year, until technology allows for people to live inside the show.

ivysaur12

Banned
cory. said:
Happy Endings should get an Infinity Order®
New episode every day of the year, until technology allows for people to live inside the show.

Show scores a 3.3/3.2 yet no one on GAF talks about it. Le sigh.

The CW signs a 4-year streaming deal with Netflix. THESE are the kinds of moves Pedowitz needs to make. Nice work.

October 13, 2011 — CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Television Group announced today a licensing agreement with Netflix [Nasdaq: NFLX] allowing U.S. members of Netflix to instantly watch previous seasons of scripted series that air on The CW from its current schedule through the 2014-15 season.

As part of this four-year output deal, Netflix has licensed the rights to stream more than 700 hours of previous-season episodes of The CW’s young-skewing dramas as well as future programs. These rights extend for four years after each series, current or future, ends its broadcast run on the network. The CW content can also be made available via traditional syndication windows, electronic sell-through services and, on a partial-season basis, through authenticated cable providers.

Programming available to Netflix members will include the eight dramas on The CW’s Fall 2011 schedule, including new series “Ringer,” “Hart of Dixie” and “The Secret Circle;” returning hits “The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl,” “90210,” “Supernatural,” “Nikita” and mid-season series, “One Tree Hill.”

Previous seasons of “The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl,” “One Tree Hill” and “Nikita” will be available to watch instantly on October 15, with previous seasons of “Supernatural” and “90210” beginning in January 2012. Episodes of all scripted series airing on The CW this broadcast season will premiere for Netflix members in Fall 2012. In addition, all episodes of future scripted series appearing on The CW through the 2014-15 season will be available to stream from Netflix through a commensurate window.

With this agreement, Netflix members can catch up on prior seasons of the network’s addictive serialized dramas streaming from Netflix as well as watch new episodes on The CW during their in-season broadcast.

“This is a forward-thinking agreement for a network whose programming occupies a unique space in the content marketplace,” said Leslie Moonves, President & Chief Executive Officer, CBS Corporation. “It is a model that opens a new door for The CW programming to expand its audience reach through the terrific Netflix service, and creates a brand-new window for CBS and Warner Bros. to be paid for the content we supply the network. It also further illustrates how new distribution systems are providing premium content suppliers with additive revenue streams while still preserving traditional monetization windows.”

“This proves once again the overriding importance of content in our business, while showing how emerging platforms such as Netflix are adding value to the traditional TV ecosystem,” said Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. “And to open a new window like this for our television product strengthens the increasing value of our powerful, deep and growing portfolio.”

“We have long admired the CW’s ability to connect so passionately and directly with a very important and difficult to reach demographic,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer at Netflix. “This is programming for the on-demand generation and we hope this agreement deepens the relationships viewers already have with these powerful entertainment brands.”

“This agreement is a clear example of why content creators and providers can and will grow stronger through technology partnerships tailored to the consumer,” said Bruce Rosenblum, President, Warner Bros. Television Group and Office of the President. “It extends our traditional syndication windows with a strong, additive revenue play perfect for serialized dramas, and portends even greater growth opportunities for our studio as we continue to explore and define the marketplace.”

“This deal works across multiple levels for us,” said Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW. “Not only will we be able to recruit new viewers for our shows through the powerful reach of Netflix, but it also makes The CW an even more attractive option to the creative community.”

I don't get why they're waiting until next year for Supernatural and 90210 (demo research thing?) but I couldn't be happier. I finally can watch Nikita.

cory.

Banned
Wow, that's awesome.
No idea about 90210, but Supernatural might be because it's their (well, WB's) most valuable property out of those.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:

The CW signs a 4-year streaming deal with Netflix. THESE are the kinds of moves Pedowitz needs to make. Nice work.

I don't get why they're waiting until next year for Supernatural and 90210 (demo research thing?) but I couldn't be happier. I finally can watch Nikita.

Yay! Now everyone has a chance to catch up on One Tree Hill before the final season! :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
That CW/Netflix deal is amazing. I still think that OTH seasons 1-4 is one of the best high school dramas ever. Will watch profusely.

And I haven't gotten to watch Supernatural all the way through, and I can finally jump on the TVD bandwagon.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
CW and Netflix made a deal? I couldn't think of a better union of two irrelevant companies!

(in b4 the Qwikster jokes)

Busty

Banned
planar1280 said:
I just hope Person of Interest survives

I have a feeling that POI might pull 'a Fringe' and survive despite the odds.

While it hasn't set the ratings world alight it's still doing okay in the time sot. CBS might feel that a move to another time slot could improve it's chances.

BluWacky

ivysaur12 said:

It seems to me that Happy Endings skews to a very different audience than GAF. It's not geek-friendly comedy, if you get what I mean - the dialogue's very clever but not in an arch, knowing way a la 30 Rock or just geek-tastic like Community. It can also be surprisingly camp at times - all this on the same network that's airing Last Man Standing!

twinturbo2 said:
CW and Netflix made a deal? I couldn't think of a better union of two irrelevant companies!

(in b4 the Qwikster jokes)

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Shitty deals like that aren't going to get me to turn the streaming portion of my Netflix account back on.

ivysaur12

Banned
BluWacky said:
It seems to me that Happy Endings skews to a very different audience than GAF. It's not geek-friendly comedy, if you get what I mean - the dialogue's very clever but not in an arch, knowing way a la 30 Rock or just geek-tastic like Community. It can also be surprisingly camp at times - all this on the same network that's airing Last Man Standing!

Right. Someone on reddit mentioned that it doesn't have any "geek-cred," which I guess would explain it. It also skews heavily female, an demo that GAF doesn't succeed in.

cory. said:
Suburgatory and Revenge picked up, Happy Endings gets 6 more scripts.

No surprise here. ABC has too many comedies that are doing well, it'll be interesting to see their strategy at the end of the season.

I expect Man Up! and Work It both to fall, leaving Modern Family, Suburgatory, The Middle, Happy Endings, Cougar Town, Last Man Standing, and Apartment 23. Of those, Cougar Town and Happy Endings are in the most danger (assuming, of course, that Apartment 23 and Cougar Town perform in their new timeslots). We'll see, though. I'd assume that ABC will want to invest most of its resources in comedy in the next development season.

dead souls said:
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Shitty deals like that aren't going to get me to turn the streaming portion of my Netflix account back on.

You have the DVD but not the streaming part of Netflix? I would have thought it would be the other way around for most people.

ivysaur12 said:
You have the DVD but not the streaming part of Netflix? I would have thought it would be the other way around for most people.

As somebody who stays pretty much caught up on TV the streaming library is worthless to me.

Since I never go to the theater I watch nearly every film I see via Netflix. 3-out plus blu-ray for me.

cory.

Banned
The X Factor - 3.6
Charlie's Angels - 1.3
Person Of Interest - 2.7
The Secret Circle - 0.8
Whitney - 2.0
Prime Suspect - 1.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom