• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.
ivysaur12 said:
ABC's number one new drama and their saving grace for the Wednesdays at 10 spot... But hey, you were right on the money for Charlie's, so props.

I wonder why they're still airing the episodes? Just shuffle them off and start supporting comedies there. Would ABC do comedies Thursdays at 8 and 8:30 next year? Hmm...

ABC needs a lost calibre drama

ivysaur12

Banned
planar1280 said:
ABC needs a lost calibre drama

Ratings wise or creatively? Because no one is getting a Lost-like drama (ratings wise) this year. Dramas are down. Comedies are up. ABC will be investing much more time in comedies. I wouldn't be surprised if DWTS continues to get chipped away for comedies.

ivysaur12 said:
Ratings wise or creatively? Because no one is getting a Lost-like drama (ratings wise) this year. Dramas are down. Comedies are up. ABC will be investing much more time in comedies. I wouldn't be surprised if DWTS continues to get chipped away for comedies.

creativity. it needs something like that and become a network like Fox. They still believe in Fringe after the ratings.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Hey ivysaur need your help my friend

I have shows on my DVR, I haven't watched some of them, because I don't want to invest time in them, then they get taken off

These are the shows I have on my DVR:

Person of Interest - 4 shows, Pilot to Latest
Revenge - 4 shows, P2L
Terra Nova - 3 shows, P2L
Pan Am - 3 Shows, P2L
A Gifted Man - 4 Shows, P2L

Should I watch all of them?, all keepers?

ivysaur12

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Hey ivysaur need your help my friend

I have shows on my DVR, I haven't watched some of them, because I don't want to invest time in them, then they get taken off

These are the shows I have on my DVR:

Person of Interest - 4 shows, Pilot to Latest
Revenge - 4 shows, P2L
Terra Nova - 3 shows, P2L
Pan Am - 3 Shows, P2L
A Gifted Man - 4 Shows, P2L

Should I watch all of them?, all keepers?

PoI is really just a boring CBS procedural with hints of mythological elements that aren't really there at this point. Will get a full season, but hasn't been that strong in the ratings.

Revenge is good. Not my type of show, but people like it a lot. Looking very, very strong right now - will do very well for ABC.

No to Terra Nova. So bad. Not sure on a season 2, we'll see the next three weeks.

Pan Am isn't that great, and will probably get pulled soon.

A Gifted Man isn't good either and will get pulled soon.

So... Revenge.

vicissitudes said:
Whitney: 3.3 -> 2.5 -> 2.3 -> 2.0

How low can it drop?!

something something apple bottom jeans something

planar1280 said:
creativity. it needs something like that and become a network like Fox. They still believe in Fringe after the ratings.

Lost was a fluke that will never be repeated. But The River is a really good script that supposedly looks amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnaZxJIsnFE

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
OP and title should be updated to reflect the Charlie's Angels cancellation. Stumpokapow, you're slipping!

Yes, everyone expected it, but still...

Also, the moral of the story is that revivals are never a good idea. The Hawaii 5-0 remake was just a one-in-a-million success.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
twinturbo2 said:
OP and title should be updated to reflect the Charlie's Angels cancellation. Stumpokapow, you're slipping!

Yes, everyone expected it, but still...

I have to drive home from work some time!

ReturnOfTheRAT said:
With this show bombing quickly, I expect the Chelsea Handler show to go down in flames even quicker.

Another few weeks and it'll be at Community numbers.

NBC is a joke. Their entire Thursday night would be flushed down the toilet (except for The Office) on a real network.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dead souls said:
NBC is a joke. Their entire Thursday night would be flushed down the toilet (except for The Office) on a real network.

But it's not clear their entire Thursday night would have been managed the same way if it were on a "real network". I mean, unless you really believe that every NBC show is less appealing to the public than every CBS show, at some point you need to start assuming that NBC being in the toilet is a contributing factor towards NBC being in the toilet rathr than it being able to be 100% explained by poor development or creative choices.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Significantly larger.

I'm not a fan, but she's pretty popular.

The show will do fine, actually. It might be what NBC needs.

Stumpokapow said:
But it's not clear their entire Thursday night would have been managed the same way if it were on a "real network". I mean, unless you really believe that every NBC show is less appealing to the public than every CBS show, at some point you need to start assuming that NBC being in the toilet is a contributing factor towards NBC being in the toilet rathr than it being able to be 100% explained by poor development or creative choices.

It's a combination of both. Developing niche productions doesn't help.

Unlike the CW, they have football and some ratings winners. They can use those to slowly build of successes. At least, that's Greenblatt's plan. The CW has nothing to fall back on.

ivysaur12 said:
It's a combination of both. Developing niche productions doesn't help.

Unlike the CW, they have football and some ratings winners. They can use those to slowly build of successes. At least, that's Greenblatt's plan. The CW has nothing to fall back on.

I agree.

Leading off the night with a niche show that has conclusively proven it will never catch on (Community) is just plain bad scheduling.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
I agree.

Leading off the night with a niche show that has conclusively proven it will never catch on (Community) is just plain bad scheduling.

I mean, I like Community a lot, but it's way, way too niche for primetime. The fact that it still can get high 1s is shocking.

What if they anchored the night with Chelsea Handler? Broad recognition + known TV star = profit?

twinturbo2 said:
Pan Am or Terra Nova: which one's next?

Terra Nova will air all 13, for sure.

Pan Am and A Gifted Man are the next bet. They might air all 13, but they won't get a back 9 at this point. They're getting to the point where they've broken all episodes in the writing room, which is why it's imperative that Harry's Law and Happy Endings got script commitments so writing production doesn't stop.

If Harry can ever go up, I assume we'll hear about that 6 soon. Happy Endings should get a back 6 if it can be steady-ish next week.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RatskyWatsky said:

I probably won't note that in the title because it's:
a) Not a freshman show
b) Not on a big-"5" broadcast network
c) It's an end of season cancellation rather than the spectacular "SHUT IT DOWN FOLKS" stuff we're talking about with CA and the prior cancellations.

But I'll put it in the thread. Last year I reserved thread title changes for major cancellations (like when ABC Family canned "Huge", I didn't put that in the title, to give an example).

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
a) Not a freshman show
b) Not on a big-4+1 broadcast network
c) It's an end of season cancellation rather than the spectacular "SHUT IT DOWN FOLKS" stuff we're talking about with CA and the prior cancellations.

But I'll put it in the thread. Last year I reserved thread title changes for major cancellations (like when ABC Family canned "Huge", I didn't put that in the title, to give an example).

Fixed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
The CW has nothing to fall back on.

One Tree Hill spin off here we come!

Stumpokapow said:
a) Not a freshman show
b) Not on a big-"5" broadcast network

Yeah, it's definitely not as interesting or exciting, but I thought I'd mention it.

Cipherr

Stumpokapow said:
I have to drive home from work some time!

go-smart-clip-500x359.jpg

No excuses!

twinturbo2 said:
The Big Bang Theory dominated Thursday. Which is for the better, as you don't want to be on Sheldon's enemies list. Damn, CBS aired a rerun afterwards and crushed the competition, too.

Fantastic news, I love BBT.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
twinturbo2 said:
I never heard much about A Gifted Man, is that giftedly bad?

Eh, I don't think it's terrible. The pilot was a bit camp. Here's an example: The man's dead wife tells him to enter her password on her work computer, camera lingers on the keyboard as he inputs the password letter by letter, incredibly slowly, with periodic cuts to a one-shot of his distressed face. He pauses for effect for 8-10 seconds before he enters the last character. and I don't like the premise, but the execution was fine. Here's another example: He's a world famous brain surgeon capable of diagnosing patients within seconds of meeting them, and upon seeing his dead wife, he wikipedias "Hallucinations".

The lead is affable (which is really all you want in the lead for a procedural), the supporting cast is good, there are a few character development threads. I just simply don't care about another medical procedural unless it blindsides the fuck out of me like House, and I don't like supernatural Ghost Whisperer garbage.

dead souls said:

Speaking as a Community fan, I think the fact that it stays relatively stable, even against BBT/Idol/X-Factor, is what keeps it on the schedule.

I doubt anything could really catch steam at that time slot right now considering the competition, and since the number is low but steady (and the fact NBC has nothing to replace it with) helps.

It's not like NBC has a lot of steady performers at the moment. But yes, any other station and it wouldn't have gotten past season 1 based on its numbers.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Well, I don't even like "Big 4" because NBC is consistently smaller than Univision and Telemundo in recent years, ahahaha, and the CW simply isn't big at all.

To be fair, Univision and Telemundo don't have the intense English-language competition that the nets have. They're literally two of the few choices for the increasingly growing spanish-speaking population. It's not like they're doing anything necessarily right, there's just a larger market with less competition.

But NBC is still losing to USA and Telemundo. Hah.

mightynine said:
Speaking as a Community fan, I think the fact that it stays relatively stable, even against BBT/Idol/X-Factor, is what keeps it on the schedule.

I doubt anything could really catch steam at that time slot right now considering the competition, and since the number is low but steady (and the fact NBC has nothing to replace it with) helps.

It's not like NBC has a lot of steady performers at the moment. But yes, any other station and it wouldn't have gotten past season 1 based on its numbers.

I like Community, but it's not doing well. Harry's Law is "stable," and it's pulling a 1.2. It needs to be moved, it's bringing the whole night down.

ivysaur12 said:
To be fair, Univision and Telemundo don't have the intense English-language competition that the nets have. They're literally two of the few choices for the increasingly growing spanish-speaking population. It's not like they're doing anything necessarily right, there's just a larger market with less competition.

Hm?

ABC
CBS
Fox
NBC
CW
MyNetTV*
vs

Univision
Telefutura
Telemundo
Azteca America
Estrella*

*Insignificant

Seems pretty balanced in terms of competition.

ivysaur12

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Hm?

ABC
CBS
Fox
NBC
CW
MyNetTV*
vs

Univision
Telefutura
Telemundo
Azteca America
Estrella*

*Insignificant

Seems pretty balanced in terms of competition.

Really. Let's lineup all 300+ channels of English language cable and see how that goes.

bathala

Banned
CC cancelled

Lol all according to plan

Now for those fairy tale shows. Should have went with Fable rather the dissecting its concept into 2 show

BluWacky

bathala said:
CC cancelled

Lol all according to plan

Now for those fairy tale shows. Should have went with Fable rather the dissecting its concept into 2 show

Or we could hope that one of them at least will be good!

Given that we know almost nothing about what Once Upon A Time is going to ACTUALLY be about (we know there is mystery and fairy tale characters - but quite what form that mystery will take who knows) I still have hope it could be better than the terrible upfront presentation was.

Grimm I have no hope for, it looks boring as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom