• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

jey_16

Banned
Well terra nova actually went up from last week which is good.....I thought the baseball over run would have killed it. The question is do the ratings justify the cost of producing the show?

jey_16 said:
Well terra nova actually went up from last week which is good.....I thought the baseball over run would have killed it. The question is do the ratings justify the cost of producing the show?
I read this review by Ryan McGee and got to this point:
Jim: “What’s Terra Nova really about?”

Mira: “You’ll see.”

Ryan McGee: “YOU CAN BOTH DIE IN A FIRE.”
and realized I made the right call in skipping it. Why do all sci-fi shows keep learning the wrong lessons from LOST? You have dinosaurs and guns, the story should write itself!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Lactose_Intolerant said:
She needs to take off the hat. As 40 year old virgin commentary taught us, women in hats look ridiculous.

She only wears the hat out of the house in the morning. Most of the time it's "I'm a serious woman" /severe-face investigator pony-tail.

It's also worth noting that they're creating a little sexual dissonance by showing her in her bra in a dressing room scene and then kinda sexed up at her step son's birthday party in the same episode.

Tuesday Ratings:

z9oIw.png

I have already started fast-forwarding through bits of Terra Nova as I watch it - which is something I have not done since season 4 of Heroes

With both shows, I am (was) interested in where they take the show, but really could't care less to see how they get there.

Probably not getting canceled but I found it interesting and relevant to the business side of tv that this thread is about.
Slow start for X Factor
Since premiering in mid-September, the show has drawn 12.2 million viewers on average—well below the 20 million that Mr. Cowell said over the summer was necessary for the show not to be a "disappointment."
Fox originally guaranteed advertisers on X Factor about a "6" rating in the coveted demographic of people 18 to 49 years old—roughly equivalent to 7.6 million viewers, according to two people familiar with the situation. That's about two million more than the 5.4 million people in that demographic who have actually tuned into the show since its September start, according to Nielsen.
Fox invested heavily in "X Factor," including $20 million to launch and market the show. The network topped a $250 million offer from NBC for Mr. Cowell to produce and star in the show, the Journal has previously reported.
A person close to Fox says the network is selling ads at or above "upfront" pricing, which averaged $400,000 for a 30-second spot. "Upfront" pricing refers the rates at which networks sell ads during their annual selling season in the spring. Some media buyers, however, say they're getting a deal on X Factor spots. One media buyer paid $350,000 for a 30-second spot during the network's "upfront." Another buyer said 30-second spots are now selling for between $280,000 and $300,000, depending on the day it airs. "American Idol," in contrast, fetches about $430,000 a 30-second spot, according to SQAD Inc., a Tarrytown, N.Y. media-research firm.

It's funny coz ITV seems to be in panic mode about Xfactor UK's ratings dropping week by week.

Cowell must be shitting his pants and wondering if leaving Idol was the best idea.

twinturbo2 said:
Have to ask, did American Idol have a slow start, too?
Totally different environment.

Idol launched as a no-name brand, but was fortunate to have aired in a summer without fierce competition, and then grew from there. X-Factor launched with massive hype and brand awareness, but in an extremely crowded fall season and after a wave of similar shows like The Voice which have augmented reality competition fatigue.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:

Totally meh. I hear ABC has deferred decisions on Happy Endings with a back 6 or 9 until they see how it does with a Modern Family repeat lead in. It totally dominates the younger demos, which ABC likes a lot since they have few shows that have younger ages (that actually do relatively well). It sort of has its own audience and might not need Modern Family to get mid 2s in another timeslot. And ABC and Sony adore it (Sony girl was shocked that I even mentioned it as a show that might not get renewed).

NBC will order more Harry's Law soon just to fill that scheduling gap, it's not going to make it up season 3 unless it can do something like build to a mid to high 1s (not going to happen in its time slot). Prime Suspect is really well like internally, but... Yeah. We'll see numbers tomorrow.

Fox was hopeful but realistic on Fringe. Will get 22. Terra Nova is disappointing, especially with the much less expensive and more provocative Touch in the spring. Same with Alcatraz, though people actually don't really love Alcatraz. A lot of writers were hoping for Locke & Key.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Totally meh. I hear ABC has deferred decisions on Happy Endings with a back 6 or 9 until they see how it does with a Modern Family repeat lead in. It totally dominates the younger demos, which ABC likes a lot since they have few shows that have younger ages (that actually do relatively well). It sort of has its own audience and might not need Modern Family to get mid 2s in another timeslot. And ABC and Sony adore it (Sony girl was shocked that I even mentioned it as a show that might not get renewed).

NBC will order more Harry's Law soon just to fill that scheduling gap, it's not going to make it up season 3 unless it can do something like build to a mid to high 1s (not going to happen in its time slot). Prime Suspect is really well like internally, but... Yeah. We'll see numbers tomorrow.

Fox was hopeful but realistic on Fringe. Will get 22. Terra Nova is disappointing, especially with the much less expensive and more provocative Touch in the spring. Same with Alcatraz, though people actually don't really love Alcatraz. A lot of writers were hoping for Locke & Key.

Good lord. Mid to high 1s is good enough now for NBC. Let that sink in. Holy shit.

Do you think, if ratings remain stable, Terra Nova could get a second season? Maybe just another 13 episode one, ivy? I mean, the show is pretty terrible, and fell way below my hype and expectations, but I still kinda want to see it succeed. I sort of think that the ratings, coupled with the budget, spell doom for the future of the show though.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Good lord. Mid to high 1s is good enough now for NBC. Let that sink in. Holy shit.

Do you think, if ratings remain stable, Terra Nova could get a second season? Maybe just another 13 episode one, ivy? I mean, the show is pretty terrible, and fell way below my hype and expectations, but I still kinda want to see it succeed. I sort of think that the ratings, coupled with the budget, spell doom for the future of the show though.

Fox typically does better in the spring, so it's hard. On one hand, Terra Nova has been insanely disappointing. On another, it might make financial sense for Fox to invest in its future with international co productions.

I have no idea because I don't know the hard numbers. Fox will also have four sci fi shows this season, more than any other season they've had in recent memory.

Also, NBC is making decent money on 25-54 demo with Harry's Law. That's what's keeping it alive if I'm reading the situation right.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Fox typically does better in the spring, so it's hard. On one hand, Terra Nova has been insanely disappointing. On another, it might make financial sense for Fox to invest in its future with international co productions.

I have no idea because I don't know the hard numbers. Fox will also have four sci fi shows this season, more than any other season they've had in recent memory.

Also, NBC is making decent money on 25-54 demo with Harry's Law. That's what's keeping it alive if I'm reading the situation right.

Maybe they could do a 13 episode season 2, and save it for midseason 2013? On one hand they could polish the effects a lot more, but on the other hand, staying so long off the air could be disastrous...it really is a precarious situation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:

It doesn't surprise me that they'd be looking at selling ads outside the traditional demo, simply because the disparity between overall viewers and demo ratings for Harry's Law is enormous, maybe the largest or one of them on TV :p

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It doesn't surprise me that they'd be looking at selling ads outside the traditional demo, simply because the disparity between overall viewers and demo ratings for Harry's Law is enormous, maybe the largest or one of them on TV :p

It's shockingly large. And yet every week Marc Berman says it's one of the "ratings winners" on Wednesdays. But it crushes every other NBC show in the mostly useless A50+, so they need to figure out some way to exploit that. I still doubt it'll get renewed, but we'll see. I really wish I could pick the brain of someone who works in ad sales. Then again, maybe I wouldn't want to.

At this point, I think that TVBTN's model isn't exactly on point. Because every show is a multi million dollar investment and there are so many variables per show (such as syndication, Friday, previous time slot depression), I'm not sure if it's necessarily worth it to take every show and line up their 18-49 and call it a day.

Chesskid1 said:
once upon a time is now streaming online.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3101793817/

I want to puke on any writer who thinks "it has begun" is somehow a legitimate line to put into a script.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
It's shockingly large. And yet every week Marc Berman says it's one of the "ratings winners" on Wednesdays. But it crushes every other NBC show in the mostly useless A50+, so they need to figure out some way to exploit that. I still doubt it'll get renewed, but we'll see. I really wish I could pick the brain of someone who works in ad sales. Then again, maybe I wouldn't want to.

At this point, I think that TVBTN's model isn't exactly on point. Because every show is a multi million dollar investment and there are so many variables per show (such as syndication, Friday, previous time slot depression), I'm not sure if it's necessarily worth it to take every show and line up their 18-49 and call it a day.

I want to puke on any writer who thinks "it has begun" is somehow a legitimate line to put into a script.
ditto x 2

Busty

Banned
ivysaur12 said:

Interesting. I have to give Sony some kudos for investing heavily in talent deals for writers an scripts when most other networks/studios are scaling back. But I don't know how much of a stomach Sony has for the 'boom and bust' nature of broadcast TV development.

Apparently there was a story going about the development community before the season started that if Pan Am didn't take off (sorry) Sony Pictures would simply cease broadcast drama development/production all together and stick to comedies for broadcast networks and cheaper dramas for cable!

Judging by how Pan Am's ratings have been of late this could be a real test for Sony and whether they want to double down on broadcast TV or simply scale back like they did a few years ago.

ivysaur12

Banned
Busty said:
Interesting. I have to give Sony some kudos for investing heavily in talent deals for writers an scripts when most other networks/studios are scaling back. But I don't know how much of a stomach Sony has for the 'boom and bust' nature of broadcast TV development.

Apparently there was a story going about the development community before the season started that if Pan Am didn't take off (sorry) Sony Pictures would simply cease broadcast drama development/production all together and stick to comedies for broadcast networks and cheaper dramas for cable!

Judging by how Pan Am's ratings have been of late this could be a real test for Sony and whether they want to double down on broadcast TV or simply scale back like they did a few years ago.

I find it hard to believe that they'd want to scale back at this point, especially since they've been extremely aggressive in acquiring talent deals for top drama writers. What, you're gonna tell Shawn Ryan that they're not gonna pitch his dramas to broadcasters anymore and only cable?

I don't doubt that they'll be more careful with their pitches/developments on drama for broadcast, but they still have Unforgettable, which is doing well in 18-49 and 25-54. They've also been fairly aggressive at this season. Maybe next season we'll see something different.

Let's also not forget that Locke & Key not getting picked up was a huge blow to their drama side. Especially because the development community was buzzing about it (finally saw the pilot the other day, it was fucking awesome).

It's also amazing how hard they fight to protect their shows because they have so few. They've slashed the licensing fees on Community and have streamlined the budget enough to make it profitable and lucrative for a decent syndication package for graveyard shifts. And they see Happy Endings as having a bright future for syndication on a network like ABC Family - they're going to do all they can to keep it on the air. I have no doubt that they'll get it a season three somehow.

EDIT: They also have some extremely lucrative syndication deals. Seinfeld? King of Queens?

EDIT 2: Basically, if you have a comedy, maybe you should have Sony produce it.

goodfella

I didn't know that outside studios produced shows.
I thought that the networks pick up ideas and then fund them. Is that how it normally works?

Takao

Banned
This is why kids can't have nice things:

Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, October 15, 2011 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):
Source: Disney Research from Nielsen Media Research Data

CW (Toonzai) 0.7/4Avg. (7a-12p)
Magi-Nation 0.3/3; Magi-Nation 0.5/4; Sonic X 0.7/4; Sonic X 1.1/6; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.8/4; Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal 0.8/3; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.8/3; Dragon Ball Z Kai 0.8/4; Tai Chi Chasers 0.5/2; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.5/2

NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.3/2 (10a-1p)

Turbo Dogs 0.2/1; Shelldon 0.3/1; Magic School Bus 0.4/2; Babar 0.4/2; Willa's Wild Life 0.4/2; Pearlie 0.4/2

CBS (CookieJarTV) 0.2/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)

Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.2/1; Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.2/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.2/1; Danger Rangers 0.3/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.3/1; Horseland 0.4/2

Tai Chi Chasers, and Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal (series premiere ratings) are the only series broadcasting new episodes on Toonzai at the moment, and both haven't done well. Last week, a Sonic X episode from years ago pulled a 1.8 in the Zexal time slot...

ivysaur12 said:
This week's Harry's Law:

1.3/3 - 18-49
1.9/4 - 25-54
6.8/12 - A50+

Jesus.

Give it time.

I kind of liked the first season, so tried watching the first few episodes this season. What has this show turned into? All the interesting characters seem to have left?

bathala

Banned
BluWacky said:
Or we could hope that one of them at least will be good!

Given that we know almost nothing about what Once Upon A Time is going to ACTUALLY be about (we know there is mystery and fairy tale characters - but quite what form that mystery will take who knows) I still have hope it could be better than the terrible upfront presentation was.

Grimm I have no hope for, it looks boring as hell.
yeah... after seeing the pilot. I stand by my statement.

u can see traces of Fable plot in there.

Ohwiseone

Just watched the Pilot of Once upon a time (posted a few posts back).

I am gonna give this show a shot I think, It has not rubbed me the wrong way as Terra Nova did, and It seems like something different.

This has the chance of being something special, Hope it does it well... seems better then Grim at least.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I find it hard to believe that they'd want to scale back at this point, especially since they've been extremely aggressive in acquiring talent deals for top drama writers. What, you're gonna tell Shawn Ryan that they're not gonna pitch his dramas to broadcasters anymore and only cable?

I don't doubt that they'll be more careful with their pitches/developments on drama for broadcast, but they still have Unforgettable, which is doing well in 18-49 and 25-54. They've also been fairly aggressive at this season. Maybe next season we'll see something different.

Let's also not forget that Locke & Key not getting picked up was a huge blow to their drama side. Especially because the development community was buzzing about it (finally saw the pilot the other day, it was fucking awesome).

It's also amazing how hard they fight to protect their shows because they have so few. They've slashed the licensing fees on Community and have streamlined the budget enough to make it profitable and lucrative for a decent syndication package for graveyard shifts. And they see Happy Endings as having a bright future for syndication on a network like ABC Family - they're going to do all they can to keep it on the air. I have no doubt that they'll get it a season three somehow.

EDIT: They also have some extremely lucrative syndication deals. Seinfeld? King of Queens?

I heard about how good Locke & Key was. What a dumbass move not to pick it up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Novid said:
I heard about how good Locke & Key was. What a dumbass move not to pick it up.

It's really, really, really fucking good. Jesse is great in it and the show does angsty teenager amazingly well. The little kid was also awesome.

ivysaur12 said:
It's really, really, really fucking good. Jesse is great in it and the show does angsty teenager amazingly well. The little kid was also awesome.

Is there any way Locke & Key might eventually be picked up somehow later? All I've heard about is how good the pilot was and it's a shame that it'll never make it to a full season.

Also, I watched Once Upon a Time tonight and it's actually fairly decent. It'll be interesting to see how it does versus Grimm, although I think Grimm is set up to die while Once Upon a Time is gonna be more of a catch-all for several demographics.

Noshino

ivysaur12 said:

I might be mistaken, but I thought that was Fox, I dont recall Sony being involved

ivysaur12

Banned
Noshino said:
I might be mistaken, but I thought that was Fox, I dont recall Sony being involved

Sony produced the pilot and sold it to Fox.

Also, no, there's absolutely zero chance of a future for the show. MTV can't afford it. Sets have been struck. Producers are doing other stuff. Jesse's filming a movie now and is gonna get back into the pilot season when it starts.

Because of a producer hissy fit, we're now left with the horrible Alcatraz instead of the mediocre but airable Exit Strategy or Locke & Key (which probably needed a bit more post and a better editing cut anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom