• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

what i've learnt from this thread is that most of the people bitching about Crysis 2's graphics from a technical perspective don't understand this shit.

this is not directed at people like you Eat Children. you know what you are talking about and raise valid complaints. it's directed at all the spazzes complaining that the texture pack only replaces the low resolution textures and doesn't replace the high resolution ones.

if you don't know what the hell you are talking about guys, you shouldn't nitpick. you evidentally don't know nearly enough to nitpick this sort of stuff if you are complaining about the comparison that has now been posted twice.

by morons.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
plagiarize said:
this is not direct at people like you Eat Children. you know what you are talking about and raise valid complaints.

Denied.

Behind the gym at lunch.

Be there.

sp3000 said:
After viewing those screenshots, this has to be the biggest joke of a texture pack I've seen.

Tell me guys, which is the original and which is the texture pack. Spot the difference.

edit, bahahaha I love how that grass texture that they ripped straight from Crysis 1 is still lower resolution than the one in the original game.

Decals on wall and upper right wall bricks are more crisps ?

You can clearly see it on the concrete lower right second picture is grass example.

sp3000

EatChildren said:
The first one is the texture pack, the second is vanilla. The improvement is slight, but its there.

EDIT: And I see you changed your examples. Second one is the texture pack, as there is a slight detail increase on the concrete.

But that example is also the worst, because it shows they did nothing about the grass.

Just for comparison, here is a modder's texture pack.

ScreenShot0681.jpg

ScreenShot0681b.jpg

Yeah, looks like he's putting more effort into this than Crytek is.

Try the pack out for yourself http://maldotex.blogspot.com/2011/06/first-version.html#more and then you can compare it to Crytek's version when it releases.

sp3000 said:

*stupid*
*comparison*

you are a moron.

yes, i'm directly insulting you. i try not to make a habit of it... but you are complaining about something you quite clearly don't understand. at all.

he's remaking every texture in the game because he doesn't have the higher res assets that Crytek do. they don't have to remake every texture in the game because they already have the high res versions that the low res ones were made from.

if you understood that, you wouldn't make stupid posts like this.

Waikis said:
I find that hard to believe.

Why?

I'm not talking shit out my ass... My single 5970 ran the game at about 40 to 45 frames at 2560 before on Extreme, what's so hard to believe about two 6950's in Crossfire running it at 60+? That's not out there at all!

sp3000

plagiarize said:
you are a moron.

yes, i'm directly insulting you. i try not to make a habit of it... but you are complaining about something you quite clearly don't understand. at all.

he's remaking every texture in the game because he doesn't have the higher res assets that Crytek do. they don't have to remake every texture in the game because they already have the high res versions that the low res ones were made from.

if you understood that, you wouldn't make stupid posts like this.

We already went over how the grass texture looks worse than they're Crysis 1 version. It's clear some kind of filter has been applied to a many of the textures in an attempt to make them "sharper."

These are not the original high res assets, which are generally drawn at 4096x4096 or higher and then downsampled. No texture artists renders originals at 1024x1024. Try to learn something about how texture assets are made before you wildly insult others.

And yes, personal attacks helping your case very much. Especially when your trying so hard to defend Crytek and failing.

The sad thing is that you don't understand it. "AT ALL"

ColonialRaptor said:
Why?

I'm not talking shit out my ass... My single 5970 ran the game at about 40 to 45 frames at 2560 before on Extreme, what's so hard to believe about two 6950's in Crossfire running it at 60+? That's not out there at all!

I run mine on nvidia surround with 2 570s. 5670x1080. I think i'm hitting close to 50-60.

Have to run fraps to make sure.

sp3000 said:

And? Modders made Crysis 1 look a ton better than what Crytek did too. What is the point?

sp3000 said:
We already went over how the grass texture looks worse than they're Crysis 1 version. It's clear some kind of filter has been applied to a many of the textures in an attempt to make them "sharper."

These are not the original high res assets, which are generally drawn at 4096x4096 or higher and then downsampled. No texture artists renders originals at 1024x1024. Try to learn something about how texture assets are made before you wildly insult others.

And yes, personal attacks helping your case very much. Especially when your trying so hard to defend Crytek and failing.

The sad thing is that you don't understand it. "AT ALL"
i shouldn't expect you to be able to read.

where did i say that these are the highest resolution version of these assets? i didn't. i just told you that Crytek don't have to redraw all the textures like the person making the texture pack has to, because they have the high res assets.

it isn't clear that some kind of filter has been applied to the textures, because that isn't what has happened. clearly. i challenge you to take any texture from Crysis 2 and make it look like the higher resolution assets in the texture pack with a filter. it won't.

furthermore that'd be more work to make the game look worse than it'd look just to release higher resolution versions of the textures based on the high resolution versions Crytek evidentally still have.

again, note, i am not saying they are the full resolution. i figured i'd spell it out for you, since you imagined i'd said that before. if you were imagining that i'd said it again, now you know that your brain was malfunctioning again.

the grass texture has not been improved. yes, it should have been. we know that higher resolution versions of it exist because we saw it in Crysis 1. i don't know where you'd think i didn't understand that, since i already agreed that it's a shame that that one hasn't been improved.

i'm not defending Crytek from anything but idiotic complaints from people like you.

i'm not defending them from the valid complaints people with more understanding of this are bringing up. i'm just defending them from the sort of foaming dribble that's sputtering out of your mouth, and other peoples.

Definately the biggest changes we'll see will be the reflections, shadows (penumbra + contact) and particles (shadows!!!, motion blur).

Can't wait to see video of those!

And you people are hung up on texture resolution. LOL

Red

Metroid-Squadron said:
Definately the biggest changes we'll see will be the reflections, shadows (penumbra + contact) and particles (shadows!!!, motion blur).

Can't wait to see video of those!

And you people are hung up on texture resolution. LOL
Texture resolution is a big deal. Crysis 2's textures weren't just poor by PC standards. I mean, look at this:

It was such a sharp looking game outside of the terrible textures. It's not getting "hung up" as much as it is realizing and appreciating the importance of good texture work.

Crunched said:
Texture resolution is a big deal. Crysis 2's textures weren't just poor by PC standards. I mean, look at this:
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2011-04-02_000011qr1.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=2011-04-02_000099sze.jpg

It was such a sharp looking game outside of the terrible textures. It's not getting "hung up" as much as it is realizing and appreciating the importance of good texture work.
Better textures is good. But the improvements I mentioned will have much more impact on graphical fidelity. Particularly in motion.

Red

Metroid-Squadron said:
Better textures is good. But the improvements I mentioned will have much more impact on graphical fidelity. Particularly in motion.
The big problem I had with Crysis 2's textures was that so much of the usable cover was just terrible looking. Not just bad, but like something out of an N64 game. Which meant seeing a lot of this:

I agree that the bells and whistles improvements will allow the game to look better in motion, but what about when you aren't in motion? Which if you stop and pop, is a decent chunk of time. That's where improved textures will stand out.

It's jarring going from movement -- fluid, great-looking movement -- to smeary, muddy cover, especially when your view is focused so tightly on whatever object you're hiding behind. I would've assumed that it was those objects especially that should've been given attention.

Pimpbaa

Why are people cherry picking the screenshots that show the least amount of change, and not the ones that show the most amount of change?

Red

Smokey

ColonialRaptor said:
Can't wait for this, but I wonder how badly it's going to crucify my setup's fps...

My 2x 6950's @ standard run the game at 2560x1440 at 60+ the whole time at the moment so it's perfect...

Waikis said:
I find that hard to believe.

Why? I just finished playing for about a hour of the SP. I have a GTX 580 @850mhz/1700mhz/2005mhz and my FPS stayed around 70 the entire time I was playing, and that is a very modest OC. This is at 1080p and Extreme settings. They just did a very good job of optimizing the engine.

Crunched said:
The big problem I had with Crysis 2's textures was that so much of the usable cover was just terrible looking. Not just bad, but like something out of an N64 game. Which meant seeing a lot of this:

I agree that the bells and whistles improvements will allow the game to look better in motion, but what about when you aren't in motion? Which if you stop and pop, is a decent chunk of time. That's where improved textures will stand out.

It's jarring going from movement -- fluid, great-looking movement -- to smeary, muddy cover, especially when your view is focused so tightly on whatever object you're hiding behind. I would've assumed that it was those objects especially that should've been given attention.
I don't know about others but to me, there's a difference between appreciating high resolution textures and needing them to feel satisfied.

BTW, the things I mentioned will also look great in screenshots.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
While some of the textures on smaller items in vanilla Crysis 2 weren't up to snuff, none of them were as big an immersion breaker as those horrid rocks in Crysis 1. And let's not forget the small issue of vegetation in your face when prone.

On average, Crysis 2 was more graphically consistent than the first during normal play.

Alxjn

Crunched said:
No, but I'm not comparing C2 to C1 here. C1 doesn't have the same type of cover system used in C2, where you are pulled toward objects. Also one was a 2007 game, the other a 2011 one.

Sorry, I assumed. But yeh, there are a lot of appalling textures in C2. Doesn't look like the texture pack is going to blow our minds or anything.

Red

Metroid-Squadron said:
I don't know about others but to me, there's a difference between appreciating high resolution textures and needing them to feel satisfied.

BTW, the things I mentioned will also look great in screenshots.
I wasn't satisfied with Crysis 2 on any level outside of visuals and performance. I did like the way it looked, I just thought there were areas that didn't quite match up to the rest of the package. That's speaking technically, of course. I had a big problem with the generic art direction, but that's a different thread altogether. Night levels were great, the others not so much.

markao

-GOUKI- said:
Is it true the dx11 patch only works for 64 bit os?
No, only the high resolution texture pack needs a 64 bit OS, the other additions will work just fine on a 32 bit OS.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In Crysis 2's defense, I suspect that the chosen setting resulted in a considerably wider variety of textures on display at any one time than Crysis, which I assume would use up more vram than equivilent quality textures in the original Crysis. Crysis' outdoor locations probably resulted in fewer textures, as there would have been a lot of tiling.

Its still disappointing that some identical textures in Crysis 2 are lower resolution than their Crysis counterparts, but its possible that if every texture in Crysis 2 was pushing the highest texture IQ as Crysis it would require far more VRAM as a whole.

Then again, I dont really know what I'm talking about :p, and The Witcher 2 has a ton of stupid high quality textures on display at any one time.

The Hermit

EatChildren said:
In Crysis 2's defense, I suspect that the chosen setting resulted in a considerably wider variety of textures on display at any one time than Crysis, which I assume would use up more vram than equivilent quality textures in the original Crysis. Crysis' outdoor locations probably resulted in fewer textures, as there would have been a lot of tiling.

Its still disappointing that some identical textures in Crysis 2 are lower resolution than their Crysis counterparts, but its possible that if every texture in Crysis 2 was pushing the highest texture IQ as Crysis it would require far more VRAM as a whole.

Then again, I dont really know what I'm talking about :p, and The Witcher 2 has a ton of stupid high quality textures on display at any one time.

You are a mod now?! How long has it been?

Smokey

Baiano19 said:
You are a mod now?! How long has it been?

I think today.

EatChildren said:

I'm sure there has been but has there ever been a sequel which took such a drastic step back technically? Or maybe I should say another high profile release like Crysis 2?

EatChildren said:

The Witcher 2 is a bit of an anomaly. The engine obviously has some unique ways of rendering a scene, which you can see from the funny cross-hatching artifacts the dynamic lighting system creates. Overall though, it's a really low-tech engine with a lot of attention and care put into producing the best texture clarity, post-processing and image-quality possible, rather than focusing on blowing their metaphorical load on shaders like normal-mapping.

And grats on joining the good-ship mod-ship.

jim-jam bongs said:
Overall though, it's a really low-tech engine with a lot of attention and care put into producing the best texture clarity, post-processing and image-quality possible, rather than focusing on blowing their metaphorical load on shaders like normal-mapping.
Good textures are simply not appreciated in this console generation, even if one of the biggest reasons that call of duty still looks half way decent is because of some great texture work.

Also cheers to EatChildren on surpassing us regular joe users, guess no more trolling in mass effect 2 threads for me.

M3d10n

markao said:
Anyone seen any info, lectures/papers from Crytek on their SSDO (reflection stuff) implementation? Kind of curious how they are pulling that off/faking it, without the huge performance impact with their real time lightning.
Haven't found any article on it, but just by looking at it I can see they don't re-render the scene for it. I suppose they cast rays on the scene using the depth buffer, in the same fashion as SSAO does, and sample the color at the 2D position where the ray hits (probably with some extra stuff to deal with rays that fall outside the view frustum). The difference is that the rays must travel a much larger distance than in SSAO, so DX11's better branching support might help a lot, while in DX9 the shader would need to fetch a massive amount of texture samples.

Lostconfused said:
Good textures are simply not appreciated in this console generation, even if one of the biggest reasons that call of duty still looks half way decent is because of some great texture work.

The sad part is that it's usually the area where devs go for harsh 11th hour optimisation too. There aren't enough showcases of amazing texture work on consoles, games like Gears and Uncharted being notable exceptions.

NBtoaster

Smokey said:
I think today.

I'm sure there has been but has there ever been a sequel which took such a drastic step back technically? Or maybe I should say another high profile release like Crysis 2?

It's not a complete step back. Both games do a lot of things the other doesn't.

markao

M3d10n said:
Haven't found any article on it, but just by looking at it I can see they don't re-render the scene for it. I suppose they cast rays on the scene using the depth buffer, in the same fashion as SSAO does, and sample the color at the 2D position where the ray hits (probably with some extra stuff to deal with rays that fall outside the view frustum). The difference is that the rays must travel a much larger distance than in SSAO, so DX11's better branching support might help a lot, while in DX9 the shader would need to fetch a massive amount of texture samples.
Thanks, it looks to be a huge, at least for me ;), improvement on the lightning, or should I say the shadows in that interior scene.

Anyway almost Monday and Siggraph isn't to far away.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, I assume it should be pretty soon, but I haven't seen anything yet.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is there going to be a Steam patch. Has that been confirmed?

Top Bottom