• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EatChildren said:
You might want to wait and see if anybody can get it to work. It tries to find and patch a dx11.pak file, but no such file exists. I'm thinking that maybe Crysis 2 itself will need to be automatically patched first, which will set it up for DX11, and then people can apply the DX11 patch.

I don't care, I'm installing a new hardware tonight and will reinstall everything after that anyway.

dragonelite said:
What do you expect?
Tessellation has more use for organic models.
Not hard edged ones like robot or metal objects.

Hell Should make a big difference for water
Yeah and brick walls dont know what they also could use tessellation for in a city environment.

It would be way more interesting if they used tessellation and decal bullet wholes or indents created from grenades.

Like this sample on msdn.

ic413111.png

Also didn't see this in battlefield 3 tank demo

They conveniently picked a car, and a non descript red ferrari too with no logos.

Anything textured is just going to look bloody terrible because the textures will get stretched and deformed.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gram Negative Cocci said:
This is a really bad case of tesselation. I mean what to tesselate on a tube-like object?

Which is why I think it's odd that they opted to use that specific example, surely they could've just skipped that pic imo.

Nonetheless, why are they blue-balling us :(, I want 1.9 now.

Corky said:
Which is why I think it's odd that they opted to use that specific example, surely they could've just skipped that pic imo.

Nonetheless, why are they blue-balling us :(, I want 1.9 now.

Do not underestimate official PR to be able to release the worst fucking screnshots possible. See: Silicon Knights.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
This is a really bad case of tesselation. I mean what to tesselate on a tube-like object?
well, what they seem to tesselate on that is actually the damage, that was previously just a texture. it's subtle, but i actually like it. they really need to highlight what they're trying to show off in these screens though. if you don't know what tesselation is and where you'd be looking for it... these are terrible examples.

with some highlighting and explanation, they'd be fine.

http://www.mycrysis.com/news/crysis_2/crysis-2-dx11-and-high-res-textures-update
Crysis 2 DX11 and High Res Textures Update
As a number of users were able to download the DX11 and High res texture packages from our test environment we would like to take this opportunity to explain how these files will work and our future plans via a short FAQ;
Where can I download these files?

We have removed the files from our websites until the full release date.
How do I install these packs?

Both the DX11 and High Res texture packages require Crysis 2 PC Patch 1.9 to work. Without this patch they cannot be installed.
When will patch 1.9 be available?

Crysis 2 PC patch 1.9 AND the DX11 and High Res Texture packages will be made available on MyCrysis.com on Monday April 27th!
Fuck, looks like we have to go back in time to get the patches. Anyone have a spare Flux Capacitor?

dragonelite said:
What do you expect?
Tessellation has more use for organic models.
Not hard edged ones like robot or metal objects.

Hell Should make a big difference for water
Yeah and brick walls dont know what they also could use tessellation for in a city environment.

It would be way more interesting if they used tessellation and decal bullet wholes or indents created from grenades.

Like this sample on msdn.

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7592/ic413111.png[img]

Also didn't see this in battlefield 3 tank demo[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQQpCd_vvGU[/url]

Seems quite powerfull and usefull for both organic and statics models.

sk3tch

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm guessing this won't get pushed out on Steam? :(

I'm guessing this won't get pushed out on Origin? :(

It's optional - so I doubt it will be automatically integrated into any DD services

amdnv

SneakyStephan said:
Anything textured is just going to look bloody terrible because the textures will get stretched and deformed.
Texture stretching is no big issue unless the displacement is very extreme. The displacement generally happens along the point normals and doesn't distort the textures all that much.

Displacement is commonly used in film production as well to allow animating lower density models while rendering a higher density one.

Yeah anyone negative on this (dark10x) should read the notes. It's not only DX11 stuff patched in.

All said and done I think this will look on par if not better than BF3!

Foliorum Viridum said:
Psh, should be mandatory.

Having advanced graphics options six months late as an optional update is stupid.

It's not been six months. And who gives a shit, others would have likely just moved onto DLC or other projects, they are at least still supporting the game and giving us this stuff. Obviously wasn't ready at launch and doubt EA would have allowed them to delay the game just to add features to the PC version, when it's the console versions that are going to sell the most anyways and were done.

BattleMonkey said:
It's not been six months. And who gives a shit, others would have likely just moved onto DLC or other projects, they are at least still supporting the game and giving us this stuff. Obviously wasn't ready at launch and doubt EA would have allowed them to delay the game just to add features to the PC version, when it's the console versions that are going to sell the most anyways and were done.
That argument doesn't cut it for me.

Crysis 2 looks great, no doubt, and it's optimised like a beast, but I hold Crytek to high standards and I expected DX11 on day one. For them to not have that and push it out months later as a "bonus" is bullshit, because DX11 should be day one in titles like Crysis.

I'd be saying the same thing if BF3 comes out without DX11 support and then patched it in months later.

Smokey

Lord-Audie said:
I for one cannot wait for this pack.

Wonder how is going to affect my nvidia surround performance.

I still play the MP to this day.

If anyone is down with this hit me up.

What are you using for your surround setup? Thinking of doing my own. Currently have a 580, and will need another for surround. Hate Nvidia for doing that, but whatever.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Crysis 2 looks great, no doubt, and it's optimised like a beast, but I hold Crytek to high standards and I expected DX11 on day one. For them to not have that and push it out months later as a "bonus" is bullshit, because DX11 should be day one in titles like Crysis.

I'd be saying the same thing if BF3 comes out without DX11 support and then patched it in months later.

Ok fine, it's bullshit, get over it. At least we are getting support and improvements to the game which is far more than what others are doing. The game from day one was known to be held back because of it's multi console release, which EA had said they expected it to sell best on. Should it have been day one on PC? Sure, but again it's no doubt EA's fault here as their main concern was to get the game out on consoles. Why would EA delay the game for months to the horrible summer release season to add features to the version they expect to sell the least?

Deadbeat

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Why would EA delay the game for months to the horrible summer release season to add features to the version they expect to sell the least?
Did you happen to see Brink's sales? People are desperate for anything over the summer. Would have sold just fine then.

Deadbeat said:
Did you happen to see Brink's sales? People are desperate for anything over the summer. Would have sold just fine then.

Doesn't matter, the summer has always been seen as a bad time to release big games by the big publishers.

Brink is also not really lighting up the charts at all, the game doesn't even appear in the xbox lives top played games where much much older games are kicking still, nor has brink shown much of a performance on the Euro charts. Yet Crysis 2 seems to be doing far far better and still selling well in the EU also.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Foliorum Viridum said:

Fine dude. it sucks. Get over it. You're getting a free update to put DX11 in. It's not like they're charging for it. If they were, I'd at least at that point understand your indignation.

Considering the kind of support PC versions usually get in multi platform releases, we should be ecstatic that this is even happening.

Deadbeat

Banned
thetrin said:
Considering the kind of support PC versions usually get in multi platform releases, we should be ecstatic that this is even happening.
So PC gamers should be happy that games nowadays come with less content and features than they did last generation because of the change to multiplatform gaming with less content and more DLC micro transactions?

Sorry, I dont like lowering my standards because the market dictated by publishers wants me to pay more for less.

Deadbeat said:
So PC gamers should be happy that games nowadays come with less content and features than they did last generation because of the change to multiplatform gaming with less content and more DLC micro transactions?

Sorry, I dont like lowering my standards because the market dictated by publishers wants me to pay more for less.

So you would rather Crytek just ignored us completely like many other devs have? Lowering your standards, well you don't have much of a choice anymore do you? It's not ideal of course, but it's also much better than the treatment other devs have been giving the PC versions of their games. And really, things are not going to turn around for PC games suddenly, things are likely just going to keep getting worse.

Here's a good question no one asked yet ( I think....)

How much will this effect performance? I have Crysis 2 running pretty sweet right now with over 60fps on my 560GTX, with the good ol' Quad Core Q6600.

Will these features drastically diminish performance? Master race experts...?

thetrin said:
Fine dude. it sucks. Get over it. You're getting a free update to put DX11 in. It's not like they're charging for it. If they were, I'd at least at that point understand your indignation.

Just because other companies fuck over PC gamers more doesn't mean I'll accept that Crytek fuck us over slightly less.

Deadbeat said:

Right, because the increased asset fidelity is so cheap.

Get over it, you're not entitled to anything. If you like their product, buy it, if you don't then don't. It's as simple as that.

Metroid-Squadron said:
Right, because the increased asset fidelity is so cheap.

Get over it, you're not entitled to anything. If you like their product, buy it, if you don't then don't. It's as simple as that.

That's Bullshit! I spent almost $2000 on my quadruple 580 SLI's alone, add to that my kick ass Motherboard and my bitchin super quiet water-cooled case, surly I'm entitled to a game that ships with DX11 on release date, no?

BattleMonkey said:
So you would rather Crytek just ignored us completely like many other devs have? Lowering your standards, well you don't have much of a choice anymore do you? It's not ideal of course, but it's also much better than the treatment other devs have been giving the PC versions of their games. And really, things are not going to turn around for PC games suddenly, things are likely just going to keep getting worse.
I see that the expectations of some PC gamers have fallen far. Kinda pathetic. You really made it sound as though we're fortunate that the company who laid down the visual standard this generation is willing to add DX11 for free. As if! SMH.

Fortunately, some gamers still have high standards and many developers continue to meet those high standards. IF Crytek doesn't want Crysis 2 to become Unreal Tournament 3, all they ever had to do was embrace the community (see: Valve, Blizzard, etc) and continue to produce at the standard to which we have become accustomed to getting from them.

Edit: I see the number of apologists has increased dramatically. SMH.

sp3000

Stallion Free said:
Is it that hard to determine that this may be some new implementation of it that uses a DX11 codepath?

I doubt this. Remember that Crytek claimed a bunch of DX9 effects as DX10 only back when the original Crysis was released, including POM, and once modders enabled them through a simple config file tweak, Crytek was left with their pants down. It was already in the DX9 pipeline and had been artificially made DX10 only.

So no, I don't think POM uses a "DX11 codepath." If their using a new implementation, it's certainly looks no different from the one in the original crysis.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EricHasNoPull said:
Here's a good question no one asked yet ( I think....)

How much will this effect performance? I have Crysis 2 running pretty sweet right now with over 60fps on my 560GTX, with the good ol' Quad Core Q6600.

Will these features drastically diminish performance? Master race experts...?
The dx 11 effects are all likely to impact performance. A bunch will have negligible visual payoff for drastic framerate drops - eg soft shadows i'd guess. I might try a few out for laughs but I expect to turn most off again

The high res texture pack however should be fine if you have a decent amount of ram on your graphics card

Morkins

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
That's Bullshit! I spent almost $2000 on my quadruple 580 SLI's alone, add to that my kick ass Motherboard and my bitchin super quiet water-cooled case, surly I'm entitled to a game that ships with DX11 on release date, no?
That's Bullshit! Developers spend almost $60,000,000 on a game that I purchased and enjoyed, add that to the fact that they are providing post release support and are attempting to add features that they honestly did not NEED to add to the game, surely they are entitled to not having to listen to me constantly bitching and whining, no?

Also, none of that $2000 is going to Crytek so why should they give a damn how much you spent on your rig? They spent millions of dollars and years of their time trying to make a game that you would enjoy. You aren't entitled to ANYTHING. Just be glad that developers even give a damn enough to release this patch to begin with, despite the past 5 years in which the hardcore has proven that it is literally the WORST, most fickle fanbase in the entire world. Seriously, nothing that any developer can ever do will make certain people on this forum happy. The mere fact that developers are running a business that is motivated primarily by money instantly pisses off the entire "hardcore" community.

Smokey said:
What are you using for your surround setup? Thinking of doing my own. Currently have a 580, and will need another for surround. Hate Nvidia for doing that, but whatever.

I'm using 2 570s on SLI.

and 3 samsung 24' LCDs.

The game runs good on it. Hopefully the patch will make it better. I saw a note on multiple GPUs there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dreams-Visions said:
I see that the expectations of some PC gamers have fallen far. Kinda pathetic. You really made it sound as though we're fortunate that the company who laid down the visual standard this generation is willing to add DX11 for free. As if! SMH.

Fortunately, some gamers still have high standards and many developers continue to meet those high standards. IF Crytek doesn't want Crysis 2 to become Unreal Tournament 3, all they ever had to do was embrace the community (see: Valve, Blizzard, etc) and continue to produce at the standard to which we have become accustomed to getting from them.

Activision treats the platform even worse but there are still hundreds of thousands of people playing MW2 on the PC every day. I'm starting to think that Crytek is doing this out of pride because I don't see it making a huge difference in sales.

I don't see what's the big deal about no DX11 support at release when what you got there was a fantastic looking game, lower res textures or not. A game that looked better than 95% of every game out there right now.

When Crysis was going to come out, people were like ":O DX10 support, looks incredible", then it turned out DX9 looked the same by copying/pasting 12 cfg files you could find anywhere on the internet at launch. With Crysis 2, you're getting DX11 support with actual differences that can't be achieved with DX9, and a high-res textrure patch which will probably increase quality over Crysis 1, but 3 months after launch. In either case people complained...

Vote with your money. Feel like they should've had DX11 at launch? Don't buy it, wait for the patch, then buy the game cheaper.

Dreams-Visions said:

Dude, you are 100% right but what you gonna do about it? Nothing. Even Valve is on consoles nowadays. Times have changed. I'm pretty sure Diablo III will go to consoles as well. And what? Nothing. I learned to deal with it.

Shambles

Dreams-Visions said:

My excuse is noble. I didn't buy it, it was gifted to me so although I don't support Cryteks latest direction I still would enjoy the game properly patched.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
sp3000 said:
I doubt this. Remember that Crytek claimed a bunch of DX9 effects as DX10 only back when the original Crysis was released, including POM, and once modders enabled them through a simple config file tweak, Crytek was left with their pants down. It was already in the DX9 pipeline and had been artificially made DX10 only.

So no, I don't think POM uses a "DX11 codepath." If their using a new implementation, it's certainly looks no different from the one in the original crysis.
Anisotropic Filtering bro.

Dreams-Visions said:

i suppose then that you were shaking your head at Crytek for years. it's not exactly uncommon for them to add in something like this post release.

FarCry v1.3 added HDR lighting after the fact.
Crysis and Warhead both added 64bit support in after the fact.

what annoys me is that you are holding Crytek to higher standards. oh no, they didn't support the same API that most people didn't use last time cause they could get almost the same graphics at much better performance in DX9.

this API whining that has gone on with Crysis 2 is something people should be ashamed of.

most PC focussed devs aren't supporting DX11 in any major way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support that isn't a long list and Valve isn't even on it.

but, boo hoo, DX11 support wasn't at launch, so even though i don't criticise Valve for not having it, i will criticise Crysis 2 for not having it at launch.

Deadbeat

Banned
plagiarize said:
what annoys me is that you are holding Crytek to higher standards. oh no, they didn't support the same API that most people didn't use last time cause they could get almost the same graphics at much better performance in DX9.
It has nothing to do with api, but their game design catering for the lowest common denominator. Cutting corners and ignoring features even present in their previous games. Thats what people are complaining about. But somehow just throwing dx11 on will make up for all the crap. I dont want dx11, I want the level design like crysis 1. But thats all gone now.

Top Bottom