• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

Deadbeat said:
It has nothing to do with api, but their game design catering for the lowest common denominator. Cutting corners and ignoring features even present in their previous games. Thats what people are complaining about. But somehow just throwing dx11 on will make up for all the crap. I dont want dx11, I want the level design like crysis 1.
deadbeat, my post was a reply to someone who i believe is complaining about the lack of DX11 at launch. why would you think it applied to someone with different complaints?

Dreams-Visions said:
I see that the expectations of some PC gamers have fallen far. Kinda pathetic. You really made it sound as though we're fortunate that the company who laid down the visual standard this generation is willing to add DX11 for free. As if! SMH.

Fortunately, some gamers still have high standards and many developers continue to meet those high standards. IF Crytek doesn't want Crysis 2 to become Unreal Tournament 3, all they ever had to do was embrace the community (see: Valve, Blizzard, etc) and continue to produce at the standard to which we have become accustomed to getting from them.

Edit: I see the number of apologists has increased dramatically. SMH.

Oh please, the the "high standard" pc master race support continues to dwindle and nothing we piss and moan about is going to change. Day by day we see how PC gamers are getting kicked in the groin, is that going to change? No. There are a handful of stand outs, you see it in every industry, but one has to get with reality. Course I don't really see why Blizzard is even being included in your statements seeing how SC2 turned out and they didn't take full advantage of the PC master power systems either. Even games getting praised by the PC community we see are not even fully using all the guns they have at their disposal, but people aren't shitting on them as they have been with Crytek

Shake your head all you want and wait for that 1 game every couple years from that one exceptional PC developer, because that's how often you are going to see those "high standards" met.

Deadbeat said:
It has nothing to do with api, but their game design catering for the lowest common denominator. Cutting corners and ignoring features even present in their previous games. Thats what people are complaining about. But somehow just throwing dx11 on will make up for all the crap. I dont want dx11, I want the level design like crysis 1. But thats all gone now.

The thread is about the new textures and DX11 support, not about level design.

SneakyStephan said:
They conveniently picked a car, and a non descript red ferrari too with no logos.

Anything textured is just going to look bloody terrible because the textures will get stretched and deformed.

The description said for deformation big enough and this algorithm it will stretch.
Dont know haven't seen bullet holes/indent that were so big to cause deformation so big that the textures get stretched. Maybe be knock the deformation down within acceptable ranges for explosions and power weapons.

But hey im not sure im a newb in graphical rendering.

Edit: Now that i think about it they should probably have made a trailer showing the before and after dx 11 patch.

BattleMonkey said:
Oh please, the the "high standard" pc master race support continues to dwindle and nothing we piss and moan about is going to change. Day by day we see how PC gamers are getting kicked in the groin, is that going to change? No. There are a handful of stand outs, you see it in every industry, but one has to get with reality. Course I don't really see why Blizzard is even being included in your statements seeing how SC2 turned out and they didn't take full advantage of the PC master power systems either. Even games getting praised by the PC community we see are not even fully using all the guns they have at their disposal, but people aren't shitting on them as they have been with Crytek

Shake your head all you want and wait for that 1 game every couple years from that one exceptional PC developer, because that's how often you are going to see those "high standards" met.
but don't you get it BattleMonkey? Crytek once before made a game that did every fancy graphical trick possible under the sun at the time, so now every game they make after that they HAVE to do the same thing, because people have become accustomed to it. people expect it now, and they shouldn't lower those expectations.

i love PC gaming, but the entitlement of the PC gaming community stops me from identifying as a PC gamer.

Crytek didn't get their DX11 codepath finished in time for launch. obviously, they should have delayed the game for everyone. for those console scum who don't even really deserve the game at all if it's going to mean i can only lean when i'm behind something and not when i'm stood in the middle of a field.

and all those PC owners that have DX10 or DX9 cards, they can wait too, becuse what kind of TRUE PC gamer doesn't have a DX11 card by now.

and anyone who wants to play in DX9 at a higher framerate can wait as well, because even if the DX11 codepath is taking longer than expected, and the DX9 codepath looks great and runs great, they shouldn't release the game without DX11 cause otherwise it wouldn't be Crysis.

apparently.

plagiarize said:
but don't you get it BattleMonkey? Crytek once before made a game that did every fancy graphical trick possible under the sun at the time, so now every game they make after that they HAVE to do the same thing, because people have become accustomed to it. people expect it now, and they shouldn't lower those expectations.

i love PC gaming, but the entitlement of the PC gaming community stops me from identifying as a PC gamer.

Crytek didn't get their DX11 codepath finished in time for launch. obviously, they should have delayed the game for everyone. for those console scum who don't even really deserve the game at all if it's going to mean i can only lean when i'm behind something and not when i'm stood in the middle of a field.

and all those PC owners that have DX10 or DX9 cards, they can wait too, becuse what kind of TRUE PC gamer doesn't have a DX11 card by now.

and anyone who wants to play in DX9 at a higher framerate can wait as well, because even if the DX11 codepath is taking longer than expected, and the DX9 codepath looks great and runs great, they shouldn't release the game without DX11 cause otherwise it wouldn't be Crysis.

apparently.

Quoted because it bears quoting.

Crytek made a game with Crysis one that for the first few months and still the case for some now most of the people couldn't play the game.

To the PC "player" that means, "OMG this game is so awesome because I can't barely play it and no one else can.... i'm so coollllz".

Don't know how much revenue did crytek got out of crysis 1, but there was a reason they changed.

And I'm glad they did, because now i can enjoy Crysis 2 DX9 and all. And will enjoy the optional DX11 patch.

Deadbeat said:
It has nothing to do with api, but their game design catering for the lowest common denominator. Cutting corners and ignoring features even present in their previous games. Thats what people are complaining about. But somehow just throwing dx11 on will make up for all the crap. I dont want dx11, I want the level design like crysis 1. But thats all gone now.

Im pretty sure after Farcry 1,2 and crysis they also wanted to do something different then a jungle again. And even if they did a jungle again people would still complain because it is a multiplat title now. I mean they suit didn't had to be streamlined because from what i remember crysis 1 supported the 360 controller.

And we get crysis 2 jungle no suit edition next year with Far cry 3 which looked bonkers hope they can push that game on pc i also should have a 1k gaming rig. Joining the master rig but mostly for school work not gaming :(. I like the ease of live and my friends are on it.

wake me up when they release the animation were you see your arm picking up the guns, apparently must have been the ultimate resource hog because even with this dx11 patch guns will still float to your hands jedi style

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
dragonelite said:
Im pretty sure after Farcry 1,2 and crysis they also wanted to do something different then a jungle again.
They didn't make FarCry 2. Also, you can have city environments with open ended level design just as well as any jungle. See: Just Cause 2, GTAIV, etc. Console games at that.
The Omega Man said:
wake me up when they release the animation were you see your arm picking up the guns, apparently must have been the ultimate resource hog because even with this dx11 patch guns will still float to your hands jedi style
Lol. Go to sleep.

Lord-Audie said:
Crytek made a game with Crysis one that for the first few months and still the case for some now most of the people couldn't play the game.
That's bullshit. Anyone could play that game. The only ones that couldn't were the idiots that set everything to max.

Edit: Oh also yeah their revenue was so poor that they decided to buy several development studios.

The Omega Man said:

SMH

Lostconfused said:
That's bullshit. Anyone could play that game. The only ones that couldn't were the idiots that set everything ot max.
that's basically his point though.

people are still bitching that Crysis 2 didn't really have the same PC crushing settings at launch that the first did.

the DX9 codepath looked great and ran really well, espescially compared to the original. but people bitched because they couldn't turn on a million effects, take a few screen shots, and then go back to playing it without them.

those effects were being worked on before release, and as promised have been completed post release. most games still aren't offering anything above DX9. should Crysis 2 have been delayed just to add in the DX11 effects if they were taking longer than expected?

i just can't see how that's a sensible thing to do.

plagiarize said:

people are still bitching that Crysis 2 didn't really have the same PC crushing settings at launch that the first did.

the DX9 codepath looked great and ran really well, espescially compared to the original. but people bitched because they couldn't turn on a million effects, take a few screen shots, and then go back to playing it without them.

Yea, bravo for the sequel to Crysis pushing less power and limits than its predecessor. And yea, its ONLY about a few screen shots. *rolls eyes*

plagiarize said:

Really? I thought people were complaining about the poor AI, the lack of large open levels and dumbed down gameplay. But then again this might be confirmation bias at work.

Lostconfused said:
Really? I thought people were complaining about the poor AI, the lack of large open levels and dumbed down gameplay. But then again this might be confirmation bias at work.
people are also complaining about that yes, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

people did, and continue to, complain about the lack of DX11 effects at the game's release. look one post above yours.

LovingSteam said:
Yea, bravo for the sequel to Crysis pushing less power and limits than its predecessor. And yea, its ONLY about a few screen shots. *rolls eyes*
*at launch*. it's going to crush your PC in a week. the DX11 codepath wasn't ready for launch.

should no one have been able to play it until then?

'yeah but does it run Crysis' became a meme for a reason. because almost no PC at launch could play Crysis maxed.

sp3000

plagiarize said:

So why take away that option, because some people don't know their computers limits? No one forced you to play Crysis on Ultra settings.

So here we are again catering to the lowest common denominator. It's treating us like kids.

People are using ultra settings when they should be using medium. Let's go ahead and just remove ultra settings altogether. Great logic there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I would have been mad about no DX11 if Crysis 2 wasn't the best looking game on the market when it launched.

But it was so I stopped giving a fuck.

Also Witcher 2 is DX9 and arguably looks better. So this holding companies to a higher standards stuff is total bullshit.

LovingSteam said:

Can you tell me with a straight face that vanilla Crysis 1 looks better than Crysis 2?

The fact that Crysis 2 looks the way it does with DX9, thats pushing technology to the limit.

Morkins said:
That's Bullshit! Developers spend almost $60,000,000 on a game that I purchased and enjoyed, add that to the fact that they are providing post release support and are attempting to add features that they honestly did not NEED to add to the game, surely they are entitled to not having to listen to me constantly bitching and whining, no?

Also, none of that $2000 is going to Crytek so why should they give a damn how much you spent on your rig? They spent millions of dollars and years of their time trying to make a game that you would enjoy. You aren't entitled to ANYTHING. Just be glad that developers even give a damn enough to release this patch to begin with, despite the past 5 years in which the hardcore has proven that it is literally the WORST, most fickle fanbase in the entire world. Seriously, nothing that any developer can ever do will make certain people on this forum happy. The mere fact that developers are running a business that is motivated primarily by money instantly pisses off the entire "hardcore" community.

Damn, I never thought I had professional trollin skills, you just proved me wrong.

I pretty much agree with everything you say in your argument, I would also add the fact that, these "hardcore" PC gamers totally missing the point of these "dumb down" PC games of recent. I'd like to see them as optimized for the majority of the PC gaming world, casual and hardcore alike, rather than making a game that will not run properly until you have hardware two generations from now.

Why would you not want to play a game that looks great and runs well with minimal effort and hardware cost? Unlike the first Crysis, this isn't really built as a tech demo of superior machines, this is a game to demonstrate what the majority of PC owners out there can enjoy on their machines. it's not something to divide the "hardcore" from the "casual". it's just a FPS game made for the fans of the genre.

If you're not happy with it's "shitty DX9 performance", then fuck, just don't buy it and play it, simple. Why and how do you figure the developers of this game owe you or/and the "PC gaming community" anything?

darthbob

sp3000 said:
So why take away that option, because some people don't know their computers limits? No one forced you to play Crysis on Ultra settings.

So here we are again catering to the lowest common denominator. It's treating us like kids.

People are using ultra settings when they should be using medium. Let's go ahead and just remove ultra settings altogether. Great logic there.

Back in 2007, there was no PC on the market that could run Crysis at 'max', well. I mean, if you consider 20-30FPS and 0xAA 'well', then sure. But when you buy a $500 rig and expect it to run everything, then wtf.

Lord-Audie said:
Can you tell me with a straight face that vanilla Crysis 1 looks better than Crysis 2?

The fact that Crysis 2 looks the way it does with DX9, thats pushing technology to the limit.

To the limit? No. To the limit would be including DX11 and what it brings with it.

sp3000 said:

they didn't take it away.

they just decided that since it was taking longer, that it didn't make sense to delay the entire game for some features that only a small percentage of people that were going to play it would ever see.

Crysis 2 isn't catering to the lowest common denominator. this patch is real. it's coming out next week. it's just late. they didn't decide to remove the settings altogether.

we know they were working on them before it was announced that they weren't going to be in at launch. we know that they've continued working on them. they just took longer than any of us expected, Crytek included.

Deadbeat

Banned
Lord-Audie said:
I played it on my Barton 3200 and 6600gt. Mostly low/medium settings but it was playable and fun. That didnt mean they to concede so many things for this game.

Deadbeat said:
I played it on my Barton 3200 and 6600gt. Mostly low/medium settings but it was playable and fun. That didnt mean they to concede so many things for this game.
you're arguing a completely different point that has nothing to do with this thread.

i don't know why.

sp3000

Lord-Audie said:

In many ways it does. Apparently people have forgotten how good the original looked.

Textures are significantly better than Crysis 2. Water is displacement mapped. POM is included at launch.

I won't turn this into a pissing contest between the two games and post screenshots from the original. But Crysis 2 is in certain aspects a downgrade.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How many people here even played C2.

sp3000 said:
In many ways it does. Apparently people have forgotten how good the original looked.

Textures are significantly better than Crysis 2. Water is displacement mapped. POM is included at launch.

I won't turn this into a pissing contest between the two games and post screenshots from the original. But Crysis 2 is in many ways a downgrade.
Crysis 1 ported to Cryengine 3 would look so much fucking better than OG Crysis 1.

And please do post vanilla screens from Crysis 1. No mods used, no custom shaders.

Deadbeat said:
plagiarize said:
they didn't take it away.

they just decided that since it was taking longer, that it didn't make sense to delay the entire game for some features that only a small percentage of people that were going to play it would ever see.

Crysis 2 isn't catering to the lowest common denominator. this patch is real. it's coming out next week. it's just late. they didn't decide to remove the settings altogether.

we know they were working on them before it was announced that they weren't going to be in at launch. we know that they've continued working on them. they just took longer than any of us expected, Crytek included.

What about true graphical settings? Are those only used by a small percentage of people? Want to try and justify that?

sp3000

Stallion Free said:
How many people here even played C2.

Crysis 1 ported to Cryengine 3 would look so much fucking better than OG Crysis 1.

Yeah it would, because Cryengine 3 is an awesome engine. Some people seem to have trouble distinguishing the engine from the game. I wish they did port it, because then it would look better than Crysis 2 also.

And yes, I had Crysis 2 preordered. Finished it within launch week.

Unlike the first Crysis, this isn't really built as a tech demo of superior machines

Did you just call the first game a tech demo? Tech demos are what Nvidia and ATI release, and they are unplayable.

There was one of the best games of 2007 behind that engine. A game that did many things that haven't been replicated to this day. It's an insult to the rest of the game to simply call it a tech demo.

Deadbeat

Banned
EricHasNoPull said:
I pretty much agree with everything you say in your argument, I would also add the fact that, these "hardcore" PC gamers totally missing the point of these "dumb down" PC games of recent. I'd like to see them as optimized for the majority of the PC gaming world, casual and hardcore alike, rather than making a game that will not run properly until you have hardware two generations from now.

Why would you not want to play a game that looks great and runs well with minimal effort and hardware cost? Unlike the first Crysis, this isn't really built as a tech demo of superior machines, this is a game to demonstrate what the majority of PC owners out there can enjoy on their machines. it's not something to divide the "hardcore" from the "casual". it's just a FPS game made for the fans of the genre.

If you're not happy with it's "shitty DX9 performance", then fuck, just don't buy it and play it, simple. Why and how do you figure the developers of this game owe you or/and the "PC gaming community" anything?
So how does Crytek not focusing on making Crysis 2 a tech demo mean the game design had to be gimped? They didnt have to make the game more linear or outright remove things from the previous game. That had nothing to do with performance at all.
plagiarize said:
you're arguing a completely different point that has nothing to do with this thread.

i don't know why.
Because people are congratulating Crytek for not shooting for the top graphically in this thread and for making a game that runs much better. That doesnt explain why the game was gimped gameplay wise from Crysis 1.

Deadbeat said:
So how does Crytek not focusing on making Crysis 2 a tech demo mean the game design had to be gimped? They didnt have to make the game more linear or outright remove things from the previous game. That had nothing to do with performance at all.

Because people are congratulating Crytek for not shooting for the top graphically in this thread and for making a game that runs much better. That doesnt explain why the game was gimped gameplay wise from Crysis 1.

But that's not the argument here.

Is not how the game played. It's the graphical prowess that was "supposed" to be included in Crysis 2 that people are arguing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, has anyone managed to install the high res textures on a Steam installation? It was searching for ages, then patching for ages, but it got some directory errors, and it doesn't seem to have done anything in the game folder. Maybe it dumped the files in some random folder? I tried to just extract the files to put them in the right place myself but it's password protected when not using its own exe. Weird...

LovingSteam said:

What about true graphical settings? Are those only used by a small percentage of people? Want to try and justify that?
i don't take major issue with it, but yeah, some settings would have been nice, but its not like i didn't edit inis and such to make the original look exactly like i wanted to anyways.

i can't believe you played the original crysis without using a third party custom config tool, or manually editing the configs yourself... so i had no major issue with having to do that to make the sequel look the way i wanted.

but sure, finer control of settings without having to mess about with that stuff would be nice.

but i think those things are only used by a small percentage of people. a lot of the same small percentage of people like us that post in these forums... but still a small percentage.

Alextended said:
So, has anyone managed to install the high res textures on a Steam installation? It was searching for ages, then patching for ages, but got some errors, and doesn't seem to have done anything. Maybe it dumped the files in some random folder? I tried to just extract the files to put them in the right place myself but it's password protected when not using its own exe. Weird...

You have to wait for the patch on monday. I mean the game update not the texture patch which you downloaded.

Deadbeat

Banned
Stallion Free said:
*ignoring the severely linear complete second half of Crysis 1.
Well I want my Tank battle back. All the driving components in Crysis 2 were restricted to a single highway/road.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Yep. Will be updating my PC hopefully in the next few months. Need new ram, GPU, and CPU.
Oh good, because people hanging on to XP are the reason so few devs bother implementing DX11.

Deadbeat said:
I was arguing against a PC gaming elitist who thinks EA and Crytek owe him something for "gimping" the graphical performance of Crysis 2 "in favor of sales and market needs" etc. he is complaining about PC gaming going downhill just because PC games today are being developed with the casual (and dare I say: majority of...) PC owners in mind.

The game being linear and less open world than it's predecessor has nothing to do with this argument, that's the design choice of the people who made this game, it has nothin to do with this, and it's invalid.

Just Cause 2 is an amazing open world game of recent on my PC with some beautiful graphics and variety of optimization, hell it's probably one of the biggest third person, open world games I've played. I doubt it;s difficult to make a visually beautiful open world game on the PC these days.

Crytek decided to make Crysis 2 more linear, I don't think compromising PC performance had anything to do with it, it was just game design choice, you need to ask them why they chose this route.

EricHasNoPull said:
I was arguing against a PC gaming elitist who thinks EA and Crytek owe him something for "gimping" the graphical performance of Crysis 2 "in favor of sales and market needs" etc. he is complaining about PC gaming going downhill just because PC games today are being developed with the casual (and dare I say: majority of...) PC owners in mind.

The game being linear and less open world than it's predecessor has nothing to do with this argument, that's the design choice of the people who made this game, it has nothin to do with this, and it's invalid.

Just Cause 2 is an amazing open world game of recent on my PC with some beautiful graphics and variety of optimization, hell it's probably one of the biggest third person, open world games I've played. I doubt it;s difficult to make a visually beautiful open world game on the PC these days.

Crytek decided to make Crysis 2 more linear, I don't think compromising PC performance had anything to do with it, it was just game design choice, you need to ask them why they chose this route.

But physics were toned down, animations (picking up guns) were taken out and environment destructibility was also heavily toned down, I don't think these were design choices.

EricHasNoPull said:

it does and it doesn't.

i think Crytek set out to make a game that looks as good as Crysis 2 and runs on consoles. if they'd set out to make a game that had the sorts of environments and gameplay that the original did, and that ran on consoles, i'm sure they could have, but it wouldn't have looked as good as Crysis 2.

that level of graphical fidelity on console hardware was a limiting factor. when i say 'graphical fidelity' i'm talking about a lot of things. a city block, for example has much more unique geometry and art assets than a valley with trees and a river, and that means more stringent memory requirements.

it doesn't completely contradict what you're saying though, as obviously that was a higher priority than 'making the best looking large sandbox game'... which i'm sure they could have set the bar for if that had indeed been what they were trying to do, but it wasn't.

LovingSteam said:
Will do friend :p
i get that you were waiting for a few big DX11 games before you upgraded, but it still kind of blows my mind that you were complaining about Crysis 2 not having DX11 when you couldn't even play Crysis 1 with DX10.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
plagiarize said:
i get that you were waiting for a few big DX11 games before you upgraded, but it still kind of blows my mind that you were complaining about Crysis 2 not having DX11 when you couldn't even play Crysis 1 with DX10.
Entitlement, duh.

Top Bottom