• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling (PS2 classic) coming to US PSN next week

tearsofash

I remember being the only guy at work preordering this for PS2 thanks to a GAF thread. Great game. Will pick up eventually. I need this in my collection again.

God, best wrestling game EVER.
Too bad I don't have a PS3 :/

Close. I'd still rate Fire Pro D slightly higher since that actually has a single player mode (and doesn't- IIRC- have that crippling AI tag glitch that I hate oh so much).

Still, everyone has to buy this game because it'll give a chance (remote as it is) of someone realizing that there's still a demand for wrestling games that aren't shit.

Sorry for the off topic, but does anyone know a reliable online store that sells $10 PSN codes that aren't overpriced? The place i normally use only has $20 codes and i don't want to buy anything else on my US alt account.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sorry for the off topic, but does anyone know a reliable online store that sells $10 PSN codes that aren't overpriced. The place i normally use only has $20 codes and i don't want to buy anything else on my US alt account.

Yeaaaaah...$10 PSN codes basically don't exist anymore. =/

Why don't you just use Paypal to add $10 to your PSN wallet? You can do that on the SEN website now.

I can't, apparently the paypal account must be from the same country as the PSN account you're using it on. I've tried it before and had my paypal transactions cancelled. If everything else fails i'll have to bite on a $20 card i guess, i've wanted to play this forever and especially now that you guys are getting old save files to work, i don't think i could wait for a release on the EU store. :)

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
Will there be a way to download the converted .PSV save data's from sites like Fire Pro Club, without having to go through that crazy conversion process (it is a little beyond me)? I want to get this game on the PSN, but it would suck if I couldn't get all the cool wrestlers in it.

C-Drive

Will there be a way to download the converted .PSV save data's from sites like Fire Pro Club, without having to go through that crazy conversion process (it is a little beyond me)? I want to get this game on the PSN, but it would suck if I couldn't get all the cool wrestlers in it.

Eventually, people will convert all the major packs and have links available. Just like when the original NTSC PS2 release came around, after a few months all the major Japan version saves had been converted. It'll just take some time.

If you see a particular pack you're interested in, I'd be glad to convert it for you.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
Eventually, people will convert all the major packs and have links available. Just like when the original NTSC PS2 release came around, after a few months all the major Japan version saves had been converted. It'll just take some time.

If you see a particular pack you're interested in, I'd be glad to convert it for you.

That would be awesome!

I am not sure what the best pack is, but I am looking for a pack that has a huge variety of wrestlers from the WWF era of the 80's and early 90's, along with AWA, NWA and maybe WCW (maybe the C. H. Pack 328 Edits pack, but I'm not sure if that is the best).

I also would like the name edit pack, that gives all the wrestlers in the game their real name.

If you could help at all, I would appreciate it.

hort22

No need to convert saves as I don't have any(first time fp player)...is there a save I can just drag to my usb and transfer to the ps3?

Barsinister

Banned
This thread is really making me interested. It kind of looks like it might play like the old Wrestlemania arcade game. Is that accurate?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This thread is really making me interested. It kind of looks like it might play like the old Wrestlemania arcade game. Is that accurate?

Not really, no. Fire Pro is extremely timing-based. Most people's first 2-3 hours with Fire Pro consist of getting their shit owned over and over until the grappling system "clicks" for them. But once it clicks, oh man. It's just the best wrestling game ever. It's got a ridiculous amount of depth, and the creation options are endless. And it's just as much fun to watch as it is to play. I frequently sim matches and it's just as entertaining as watching actual wrestling. Give it a shot. Once you get over the initial learning curve, you'll see that it's absolutely the most fun you can have with a wrestling game.

The timing sorta clicked with me today. After a couple hours I'm fairly confident in my grapples. Yesterday I was getting destroyed at level 4. Went to level 2 for a couple matches - then 3 - and now I'm ready to try out level 5.

So, from what I've read around FPW forums and from talking to my roommate, it seems a lot of people just sim matches? I'm guessing this is to sort act as a fantasy booker, right?

beanman25

The timing sorta clicked with me today. After a couple hours I'm fairly confident in my grapples. Yesterday I was getting destroyed at level 4. Went to level 2 for a couple matches - then 3 - and now I'm ready to try out level 5.

So, from what I've read around FPW forums and from talking to my roommate, it seems a lot of people just sim matches? I'm guessing this is to sort act as a fantasy booker, right?

I play some matches, but mostly sim. I note champions and things like that on an excel spreadsheet. And do tournaments to determine next contender for title match.

Started a tournament of 3 person teams today, pretty sweet stuff.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8DfV5zbkPQ

Here is match I simmed for fun earlier. In lieu of the KoC tournament going on in the Wrasslegaf thread.

Zep

Banned
Goldberg fucked my shit up earlier.

He also did the coolest thing when while on the ground he went to the corner, did the goldberg crouch and speared the shit outta me...I then got jackknifed and pinned ;(

Vaco6121

The only thing this game needs is a proper single-player season mode, other than that I love this game. Wish I would of gotten it way back when it was first released.

Speevy

Banned
I remember when I bought this for the PS2, but I failed to get into it then.

Still might purchase it.

This might be one of the least user-friendly console games ever released.

I play some matches, but mostly sim. I note champions and things like that on an excel spreadsheet. And do tournaments to determine next contender for title match.

Started a tournament of 3 person teams today, pretty sweet stuff.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8DfV5zbkPQ

Here is match I simmed for fun earlier. In lieu of the KoC tournament going on in the Wrasslegaf thread.

Awesome, checking out the match shortly. I think I'll try my hand at this meta game of tracking champions, #1 contenders, etc. This game is seriously scratching an itch I've had for quite awhile.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Close. I'd still rate Fire Pro D slightly higher since that actually has a single player mode (and doesn't- IIRC- have that crippling AI tag glitch that I hate oh so much).

Still, everyone has to buy this game because it'll give a chance (remote as it is) of someone realizing that there's still a demand for wrestling games that aren't shit.

best wrestling game ever is KoC 2. It even has a ranking system.

Fire Pro's cool and all, but I got KoC 2 shortly after and never played any other wrestling game. I really wish they'd make 3

Zep

Banned
The only negative I can think of is the striking being random. I'll think I have someone lined up and they just whiff!

Jamie OD

Game looks good but the jagged edges on the sprites now makes me wish for a HD update. Still, after getting rid of my PS2 I'm glad I now get to play this again.

My local Best Buy has $10 cards still. I can swing by tomorrow and pick you up one if you want. PM me if you need me to.

Wow, thanks, i really appreciate that, but i already bought one on a site that supports paypal before i went to bed last night. I ended up paying $15 for a $10 code, but what the hell, i can make an exception for FPW. :)

Edit:

I've just copied one of the linked save files and i'm in complete and utter awe at the selection and how accurate most of them look! :O
It includes everyone i've ever heard of and lots more of whom i haven't, and i used to follow several promotions back in the day, be they from the US, Mexico, Japan, it didn't matter. It even has several iterations of wrestlers based on eras. Perhaps the only ones lacking (or perhaps i just didn't see them during browsing) would be wrestlers that were active in Europe, like Big Otto Wanz and Giant Haystacks. I'd have to go through it slowly though, perhaps even those are there. Love the inclusion of all the classic japanese wrestlers (male and female) and was absolutely flabbergasted at the inclusion of Rikidozan. :D

So it seems that the limit is 500 slots. Is there a way to set it up so that you have multiple save files and can use wrestlers from one file to fight ones from another file? I've tried copying another file, but it said that it would overwrite the original one, so i didn't go through with it. Not that there is a shortage of wrestlers on the one i'm using right now, but it would be nice in case i find another one i want to use. From the way the menu is set up it looks like i could just overwrite select wrestlers from one file with new ones from another file, is that right?

I still had my PS2 hooked up almost entirely to play my old copy of this game.

Soon after it came out I downloaded a save with a ton of classic WWF, ECW, WCW and fantasy characters. Plus ECW, WCW, WWF & Aqua Teen Hunger Force rings. I generally turn off the game music, put a record on the stereo and battle for titles with all the classic rassler's.

I was thrilled to get the PS3 download but of course can't transfer my PS2 save. I have the Memory card adapter (from my old backwards-compatible PS3 that was stolen), but of course can't transfer my old save from the PS2 card to PC to convert (plus I only have a PC at work which is somewhat restricted).

I did manage to copy the PS2 save to my PS3, then from there I think I transferred it to USB though it's only 938kb versus the files I'm seeing online that are like 17MB.

I got the pack from Seraphis Cain, which is great for all the new WWE guys, but I'm really missing my Aqua Teen ring and all the classics. Any chance I could get a hand with a PS3 save with the old rosters, I can even try sending that file I got off the PS2 via the PS3 if that's any benefit.

If I could combine my old roster with the Seraphis pack I'd be a very happy man.

C-Drive

I did manage to copy the PS2 save to my PS3, then from there I think I transferred it to USB though it's only 938kb versus the files I'm seeing online that are like 17MB.

Send me a link to a copy of that file via PM and I'll see what I can do with it. What file type is it? .PSV?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I still had my PS2 hooked up almost entirely to play my old copy of this game.

Soon after it came out I downloaded a save with a ton of classic WWF, ECW, WCW and fantasy characters. Plus ECW, WCW, WWF & Aqua Teen Hunger Force rings. I generally turn off the game music, put a record on the stereo and battle for titles with all the classic rassler's.

I was thrilled to get the PS3 download but of course can't transfer my PS2 save. I have the Memory card adapter (from my old backwards-compatible PS3 that was stolen), but of course can't transfer my old save from the PS2 card to PC to convert (plus I only have a PC at work which is somewhat restricted).

I got the pack from Seraphis Cain, which is great for all the new WWE guys, but I'm really missing my Aqua Teen ring and all the classics. Any chance I could get a hand with a PS3 save with the old rosters, I can even try sending that file I got off the PS2 via the PS3 if that's any benefit.

If I could combine my old roster with the Seraphis pack I'd be a very happy man.

Send me your PS2 save (upload it to Zippyshare or something), and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Haha, beaten I guess. Go for it, C-Drive. But I'll be happy to help if you need it.

Top Bottom