• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gcubed

nib95 said:
Well, it's certainly quite a shabby and un-ambitious way to finally reveal it (since the initial product it releases with is also a statement in itself). If they would have revealed with a bang they could have really keyed in on those who were let down by the 4S's upgrade and capitalised on a potential new market of users. Instead I feel like they're potentially giving it away again.

Anyway, will wait for the actual conference before making any final judgements.
Give what away? Their ever increasing market share?

teiresias said:
I see no live stream when I go to youtube.com/android am I going to the wrong place?

All I see is a "Calling All Ice Cream Sandwich Lovers" video.
The stream appears above the video.

Sarye

teiresias said:
I see no live stream when I go to youtube.com/android am I going to the wrong place?

All I see is a "Calling All Ice Cream Sandwich Lovers" video.

WTF, the stream loads fine in IE, but not in Chrome - total fail Google - likely just some foreshadowing for this conference.

yeah works in all browsers except chrome. Ironic haha..

Emily Chu

Banned
Zefah said:
Lol at all of the Droid brand phone complaints. As a previous owner of the original Droid, I feel you guys. What a piece of shit. I could never quite tell if the problems were mostly due to the Android software or Motorola's hardware. I had friends with LG, Samsung, and HTC phones who also had problems, but none of them seemed as severe as the ones I had with the Droid.

I just got the droid X because it was at the time Flagship, looked cool and had a 4.3" screen

it's a good phone but sometimes it goes ultra turbo full retard mode @ random.

womp

Jtwo said:
Whia!!!!!! Hell yeah! Watching. Today is the best.

LOL. I think it starts out giving him force close errors. Oh android.

Looks more like a lack of network connection error to me. It is popping up all over the place.

nib95

Banned
gcubed said:

Give away a whole new market of potential disgruntled iPhone users (like me). Also, isn't the iPhone's market share also increasing? Just because you're doing well doesn't mean you can't find ways to do better.

Crazyorloco

kokujin said:
Im guessing its not a big jump from the GS II then, will the GS II be getting Ice Cream Sandwich?
I think most dual core phones will be getting Ice cream sandwich. All my Android phones purchased have received at least one big update...If you have a dual core you're probably getting ICS.

tfur

gcubed said:

At this point, its in Google's best interest to lay low until the Motorola deal goes through. Their dominance is freaking everyone out.

nib95 said:
Give away a whole new market of potential disgruntled iPhone users (like me). Also, isn't the iPhone's market share also increasing? Just because you're doing well doesn't mean you can't find ways to do better.

But where else would you go? Windows Phone or Blackberry?

tfur

nib95 said:

Iphone market share has been flat lined for quite a while.

zedge

Zefah said:
Lol at all of the Droid brand phone complaints. As a previous owner of the original Droid, I feel you guys. What a piece of shit. I could never quite tell if the problems were mostly due to the Android software or Motorola's hardware. I had friends with LG, Samsung, and HTC phones who also had problems, but none of them seemed as severe as the ones I had with the Droid.

I think you're in the wrong thread.

Crazyorloco said:
I think most dual core phones will be getting Ice cream sandwich. All my Android phones purchased have received at least one big update...If you have a dual core you're probably getting ICS.
Why would you need a dual-core CPU for ICS?

zedge

nib95 said:

Unlike Apple this is not the only phone you have to choose from, you have choices.

nib95

Banned
basic_element said:
But where else would you go? Windows Phone or Blackberry?

Back to Apple obviously.

Basically for me it was...

4S reveal: WTF is this bullshit incremental release. Smh I'm going Android.
Potential Nexus reveal: WTF Google is pulling this shit too. Smh 4S it is then.

Along those lines anyway.

teiresias

nib95 said:
Back to Apple obviously.

Except, as someone said, this is hardly going to be the only phone with ICS.

Emily Chu

Banned
nib95 said:
Will other new Android mobile releases have ICS by years end?
I would bet everything on it

flagship phone sets the bar

4-6 months later over 4 dozen phones have better or samey specs

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Emily Chu said:
I just got the droid X because it was at the time Flagship, looked cool and had a 4.3" screen

it's a good phone but sometimes it goes ultra turbo full retard mode @ random.

Yeah, the Droid looked cool when I first got it, too. Mine went full retard mode quite often, which made it quite a bad phone.

zedge said:
I think you're in the wrong thread.

How do you figure? People were voicing their opinions about various Droid phones so I chimed in. I couldn't care less about the Droid RAZR stuff, or anything else from Motorola at this point, so I'm not even checking on that thread.

nib95 said:
Back to Apple obviously.

Then you must not be that disgruntled. I don't you can compare the IPhone 4 -> 4S upgrade to say a Galaxy S2 -> Nexus Prime.

New android phones are coming out all the time and the Galaxy S2 just came out not too long ago so obviously you can't expect a big jump in hardware.

If you want to make a fair comparison, compare the jump from a Galaxy S 1 (similar release to IPhone 4) to the Nexus Prime.

Emily Chu

Banned
Zefah said:
Yeah, the Droid looked cool when I first got it, too. Mine went full retard mode quite often, which made it quite a bad phone.

How do you figure? People were voicing their opinions about various Droid phones so I chimed in. I couldn't care less about the Droid RAZR stuff, or anything else from Motorola at this point, so I'm not even checking on that thread.

yeah not bothering with Droid or moto anymore...
guess the most excited about the Default Stock Android ICS with verizon Phone

don't have to fuck around with roms and shit anymore like I did with the X.

1. 720 Screen
2. Default Stock ICS
3. coming to Verizon

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
GONNA START A G+HANGOUT

This gives us a half hour to get everyone in.

xtop

nib95 said:
Camera, GPU and battery details?

By now there aren’t many surprises left, but Google and Samsung have officially announced the Galaxy Nexus. The flagship phone features a 4.65-inch 1280 x 720 HD Super AMOLED screen, a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, and of course Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. There’s 1GB of RAM, 16GB or 32GB internal memory, and a 1750mAh battery. The Galaxy Nexus has a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash on the back, which Samsung says will take stills “with zero shutter lag” and video up to 1080p at 30fps, and on the front a 1.3 megapixel camera for video calling.

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/galaxy-nexus-official-release-samsung-google/

Rob Jackson from Phandroid said:
I just walked into the Google and Samsung Galaxy Nexus event and guess what they handed me right on entry? A folder with a press release titled, “Samsung and Google introduce GALAXY Nexus.” I’m sure the details will be forthcoming VERY soon, but for now, here are the nitty gritty details you’ve so desired.
Galaxy Nexus – Main Features
Android 4.0 Ice Cream
4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED Screen with 720p resolution
1.2GHz dual-core processor
Redsigned UI in Android 4.0
Improved multi-tasking, notifications, Wi-Fi hotspot, NF support, full web browsing
Android 4.0 features Software Navigation buttons – brand new
People App with Google+ Integration among other features
Redesigned camera with panorama mode, 1080p video, zero-shutter lag, silly faces and background replacement features
Face Unlock: Facial recognition to unlock your phone! BOOM that just happened.
Android Beam uses NFC to easily share content with other Android users with the bump of phones
PURE GOOGLE EXPERIENCE
All the Google Apps you love from Android Market and GMail to Movie Studio and redesigned Google+ app
8.94mm thick, 4.29mm bezel
LTE and HSPA+ connectivity
Available in USA, Europe, and Asia beginning in November and then rolled out globally

ok officially on board, will be hunting down the int'l gsm version!!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cudder said:
Face Recognition via front camera to unlock phone. BAM.

This will only be cool if it can recognize and unlock in under two seconds.

Top Bottom