• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

flsh

Banned
The screen size is absolutely huge. Is Google aiming for this phone to appeal to giants? How can you even operate such a phone with one hand?
The GSII is already very big. I can use it with one hand if I keep playing with the phone's position (very uncomfortable). With a 4.65" display, there is no way I would be able to use this thing one handed.

Still, I'm very, very excited to see ICS. I'm contemplating pulling an all nighter to see it live or to wait until I wake up. I'll probably try to fall asleep and find myself awake when it starts and end up not sleeping. Hope it's worth it.

DMeisterJ

Banned
flsh said:
The screen size is absolutely huge. Is Google aiming for this phone to appeal to giants? How can you even operate such a phone with one hand?
The GSII is already very big. I can use it with one hand if I keep playing with the phone's position (very uncomfortable). With a 4.65" display, there is no way I would be able to use this thing one handed.

Still, I'm very, very excited to see ICS. I'm contemplating pulling an all nighter to see it live or to wait until I wake up. I'll probably try to fall asleep and find myself awake when it starts and end up not sleeping. Hope it's worth it.
4.65" without the capacitive buttons isn't much bigger than a 4.3" phone with them, and it's not really that big at all.

flsh said:

People want bigger and bigger phones. Samsung's Note is even bigger and people seemed to like it. I personally don't get this trend, but it looks like we're the minority here.

kehs

Banned
This is only 3 mm wider than the Nexus S same height, and purportedly much thinner.

The Nexus S is not big at all.

Copernicus said:
This is only 3 mm wider than the Nexus S same height, and purportedly much thinner.

I don't like 4"+ phones. A friend won't even look at smartphones with a screen bigger than 3.7". It's actually about the overall size of the phone, not just the screen.

scorcho said:
i just walked 10 feet away from my monitor and thought the phone looked like an iPhone. Samsung should be afraid.
Happened to me, when I saw a Galaxy S II in the wild. True story.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i just walked 10 feet away from my monitor and thought the phone looked like an iPhone. Samsung should be afraid.

kehs

Banned
brotkasten said:
I don't like 4"+ phones. A friend won't even look at smartphones with a screen bigger than 3.7". It's actually about the overall size of the phone, not just the screen.

crazies gonna craze

flsh said:

Adding .3 of an inch diagonally is practically nothing in width.

Blackhead

Redarse
brotkasten said:
People want bigger and bigger phones. Samsung's Note is even bigger and people seemed to like it. I personally don't get this trend, but it looks like we're the minority here.
People want bigger and better screens, with added functionality... I think... that's why want the Galaxy Note anyway.

Copernicus said:

The device isn't bigger but the screen is bigger and that's what people will be interacting with. Where there used to be bezel, that you'd never stretch a finger to touch, there might now be UI elements that need poking. That said, I think the relationship between screen size and one-handed usage is overemphasized and the importance of one-handed use is greatly overblown. I think what matters more is: can the device be comfortably held in one hand? You'll always occasionally want to use two hands with a smartphone (when using pinch-to-zoom, for example, or when holding the device in landscape) no matter the size of the screen.

flsh

Banned
The difference between a Nexus S and an iPhone 4 is very apparent to me when I hold both in my hand. The difference between the Nexus S and the SGSII is smaller and the SGSII is not comfortable at all for me to hold. If this is even a bit wider than that, I wouldn't be able to operate this with one hand.

Saying 3mm is nothing is absurd. The difference might appear small but when holding the devices it is quite clear one feels firm in the hand while the other feels a bit like grabbing a hot potato. While I can work with a 4.3" phone, I have to play with it so much that I don't feel it is secure in my hand.
I can understand why some of you love bigger phones. My brother has smaller hands than me and loves his SGSII because he operates it with both his hands (one holds, other touches the screen). I prefer operating the phone with one hand (touching the screen with my thumb) which is impossible for me to do on a SGSII without constantly fearing it will fall from me hand. Those extra millimeters will only make me more paranoid that the phone will fall off. 3.7-4" is the sweet spot for me in size and comfort in one handed use. Below and the screen feels tiny, above and the phone feels huge.

And yes, I realize the screen is longer, but every millimeter counts width- wise.

It'll be 4am here, I really hope I can get internet in my room in this hostel. Getting excited for this even though it'll be an inevitable letdown.

Also, I don't see why we are arguing about the screen-size thing, if you don't want a big phone don't get one. I am fortunate enough to have never had problems with a bigger handset so will thankfully be able to enjoy this amazing screen.

flsh said:
And yes, I realize the screen is longer, but every millimeter counts width- wise.

Then any phone bigger than 4" is not for you. I would't be surprised if 4.3"+ becomes a minimum size for smartphones in the next few years.

kehs

Banned
Well, I can comfortable reach the entirety of the phone top to bottom and side to side on the Nexus S, so I guess if you have sausage fingers it's gonna suck owning a prime.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
GalaxyNexus.jpg

The Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime event is just around the corner but here's something to get you through the next twelve hours of waiting. The image above together with the specs below are allegedly as close to official as possible as they come from Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo.

As you can see, the phone pictured above is the same with the one surfaced in real life shots and the side of the device is nothing else than what Samsung teased in its video, with the four connectors and the curved design.

Specs-wise, the Galaxy Nexus will reportedly sport a Texas Instruments OMAO 4460 1.2GHz dual-core processor helped by the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of ROM, 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with 720 x 1280 resolution, NFC, five-megapixel main camera, 1.3-megapixel webcam, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, WiFi a/b/g/n and a 1750 mAh battery plus notification LED.

Powering it will be, as expected, Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and the phone will be codenamed (as we've previously seem) "Tuna"/"Tuna 4G". It will weight approximately 135 grams and measure 136.0 x 68.0 x 8.8 mm with 11.5 mm at its thickest part, the hump on the back. Now let's wait and see the official announcement! Excited yet?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
its probably a brushed aluminum bezel, being that the "galaxy nexus" name plate on the ad has the same effect.

i hope.

either way, i think i'll continue to wait. still hanging onto this droid 1 for a keyboard phone with 4g/dual or quad core cpu.

flsh said:
Saying 3mm is nothing is absurd. The difference might appear small but when holding the devices it is quite clear one feels firm in the hand while the other feels a bit like grabbing a hot potato. While I can work with a 4.3" phone, I have to play with it so much that I don't feel it is secure in my hand.

I'm assuming you have delicate little pixie hands or something. The rest of us MEN use the S2 just fine, whenever we can take time out of our busy schedule of grunting and having huge dicks. An even bigger screen is just what the doctor ordered.

DrFunk said:
http://cdn.pocketnow.com/html/portal/news/0000019500//GalaxyNexus.jpg[IMG]

Specs-wise, the Galaxy Nexus will reportedly sport a Texas Instruments OMAO 4460 1.2GHz dual-core processor helped by the PowerVR SGX 540 GPU, 1GB of RAM, 16/32GB of ROM, 4.7-inch Super AMOLED HD display with 720 x 1280 resolution, NFC, five-megapixel main camera, 1.3-megapixel webcam, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, WiFi a/b/g/n and a 1750 mAh battery plus notification LED.[/QUOTE]

16/32 GB of [i]ROM[/i]? Is that a typo?

Emily Chu

Banned
Is it sad that I am more excited about this then anything announced by the big three gaming companies ?

or just a sign of the times.

Emily Chu

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I'm assuming you have delicate little pixie hands or something. The rest of us MEN use the S2 just fine, whenever we can take time out of our busy schedule of grunting and having huge dicks. An even bigger screen is just what the doctor ordered.

16/32 GB of ROM? Is that a typo?

I remember carrying an Sega Game Gear in my pocket

ain't a damn thing

BRING ON THE BIGGER REDONKLOUS SCREENS

just keep it lightweight

giga

Not a fan of capacitive buttons (let alone replacing them with software ones) or 4.7" phones, but I'm interested to see where they take the software.

liger05

Lucius86 said:
Any chance of ice cream coming to a SGS2?

I would be shocked if it doesnt but if you want it quickly just root the phone.

Nexus 5mp Camera? This would be a shock wouldnt it.

Copernicus said:
why are excite about putting a phone on your tablet?
Or the power of a tablet on your phone! My Touchpad is ready, Crypgen Mod 8 better be ready! #staycoolmybabies #justthemessenger

ThoseDeafMutes said:

16/32 GB of ROM? Is that a typo?
Typo? FlashROM.

Igo

Didn't they say that Ice Cream would be scaleable to pretty much all phones? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

The Faceless Master said:
Typo? FlashROM.

Did the industry go full retard and start referring to main storage as Read-Only Memory while I wasn't looking? This is a serious question; I don't know if that's what they're calling it or not but if it is that's really stupid.

threenote

Banned
I owned a Nexus One, and I simply hate Android. The hardware on the Nexus was great, but the battery life was pathetic.

With the Prime, I feel like I have the same sentiments. The phone looks amazing, but the OS is lacking.

threenote said:
I owned a Nexus One, and I simply hate Android. The hardware on the Nexus was great, but the battery life was pathetic.

With the Prime, I feel like I have the same sentiments. The phone looks amazing, but the OS is lacking.

You've played with ICS already? Please give me all the details then.

If you "hate" something, that's fine. Blatant flame-baiting is lame, though.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Did the industry go full retard and start referring to main storage as Read-Only Memory while I wasn't looking? This is a serious question; I don't know if that's what they're calling it or not but if it is that's really stupid.
it's been like that for as far back as i can remember.

since the PalmPilot and Windows Mobile days... RAM/ROM

Chesskid1

Banned
Copernicus said:
why are excite about putting a phone on your tablet?

he's referring to ICS. it'll be the first all open source android for tablets, so a pretty big deal if you have an android tablet stuck on gingerbread.

andycapps

I am excite. Hopefully this won't keep me up too late. Wish they would just announce this at Google HQ so the conference would be at normal times (for me at least).

Top Bottom