• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Piano

Banned
I think I'm going to way for a mod that lets me revert the lockscreen to 4.1.
It was perfect - why'd they have to junk it up with unnecessary complications? Not to mention the new clock looks awful.

Dizzan

MINI Member
It was perfect - why'd they have to junk it up with unnecessary complications? Not to mention the new clock looks awful.

Don't care about the clock but why lose the Google Now shortcut?? One of my most used features...

JoeFu

Banned

I really hope there will be a way to revert back to 4.1 lockscreen. The google music lockscreen controls are worse also. I've gotten used to the clock, but I really dislike everything about the lockscreen.

Cipherr

I really hope there will be a way to revert back to 4.1 lockscreen. The google music lockscreen controls are worse also. I've gotten used to the clock, but I really dislike everything about the lockscreen.

Theres already an app that does exactly that. I didnt save the link though since im fine with the changes, but someone was posting it in one of the threads.

looks like it's not just the GS3 on sale at Sprint on Black Friday...

Sprint Holiday Deals @ http://www.sprint.com/holiday or 1-800-SPRINT1

all deals with a 2 year agreement for new and upgrade eligible customers

Thanksgiving Day - (Online/Phone Only)
$49.99 - Samsung Galaxy S III
$FREE - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE - Samsung Galaxy Victory

Black Friday - (Online/Phone/Sprint Stores)
$49.99* - Samsung Galaxy S III
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Victory

Saturday -> Sunday: - (Online/Phone/Sprint Stores)
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
$FREE* - Samsung Galaxy Victory

* = after $50 mail-in rebate

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2464&view_id=6791

but seriously, GS3!!!

kinggroin

Banned
Holy shit at the visual downgrade to the lock screen in 4.2

The new quick settings are also just a cunt hair above being useless.

Any reason not to go back to 4.1 and just use the 4.2 camera/gmail/keyboard?

Cipherr

Framework Services!!!!!! Keeping my phone awake eating the battery like crazy since the update. Push a patch for crying out loud.

Framework Services!!!!!! Keeping my phone awake eating the battery like crazy since the update. Push a patch for crying out loud.

I'm having the same problem since the update as well on both the gnex and nexus 7. Don't try to factory reset it wont help. What did help though is turning off location services and the wakelocks stopped.

My guess is, Google Now is trying to pinpoint me every millisecond and every millimeter I move...not cool.

4.2.1 can't come soon enough.

Here is how the quick toggles should have been implemented kudos to XDA (the buttons work as toggles CM style):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34390654&postcount=5793

Screenshot_2012-11-20-01-43-18.png

Here is the rom:
http://goo.im/devs/bigxie/maguro/bigxie_maguro_AOSP_JOP40C_v2-signed.zip

Cipherr

What did help though is turning off location services and the wakelocks stopped.

How do I get to location services. I can recall seeing it, but cannot remember where.

Edit: Found it. Wanna keep it on anyway though since I have chargers at home and at work. Ill survive until they patch it.

Nicktendo86

I'm having the same problem since the update as well on both the gnex and nexus 7. Don't try to factory reset it wont help. What did help though is turning off location services and the wakelocks stopped.

My guess is, Google Now is trying to pinpoint me every millisecond and every millimeter I move...not cool.

4.2.1 can't come soon enough.

Here is how the quick toggles should have been implemented kudos to XDA (the buttons work as toggles CM style):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34390654&postcount=5793

Screenshot_2012-11-20-01-43-18.png

Here is the rom:
http://goo.im/devs/bigxie/maguro/bigxie_maguro_AOSP_JOP40C_v2-signed.zip

CM are implementing a solution like this for CM10.1, personally I canot wait. CM is so much better than AOSP, it keeps the look and feel but just makes it perfect, quick reply for texts for example is such a no brainer, why have Google not got that is AOSP!?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Quick settings are so ridiculous. Not quick at all.

Give me the option to turn wifi off with one click. And where is gps? So stupid.

Cudder

Yeah the "Quick settings" doesn't make any goddamn sense especially if you already have the Settings Widget on one of your homescreens.

I'm getting more crashes with 4.2 and it is slower than 4.1. Anyone else experience the same? Not liking this update.

Not on my Galaxy Nexus, if anything it's smoother and more stable than 4.1. Nexus 7 is a different story though. Most of the time its fine, but it's frozen on me a couple of times and sometimes it can become sluggish particularly when installing a new app or coming out of a graphically intensive game. Reckon a point release fixing bugs/performance issues will be incoming in the next few weeks.

GiJoccin

Any good car setups for charging your phone? I tried using my dad's charger, but it recognized it as a USB and there was a net drain on the battery when it was in use.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Not getting any crashes but definitely feels slower than 4.1, especially when you close apps...the animation becomes really choppy. The keyboard feels faster though.

The animations are a tad slower all over for me including keyboard. I am ready to ditch 4.2 and root it. What is the best ROM out right now?

JordanKZ

I don't think 4.2 is any slower than 4.1, it just seems like Android is getting worse and worse with memory management. Load the recent apps list, swipe a few away and see how much faster it is. It's insane.

Any good car setups for charging your phone? I tried using my dad's charger, but it recognized it as a USB and there was a net drain on the battery when it was in use.

I use the Samsung (non-charging) car dock, and a RocketFish micro-USB charger I picked up from Best Buy. Works great!

gcubed

There's a moto charger you can get on amazon for around 3 dollars. I bought a few since they are so cheap. One for each car and one each for me and my wife for trips

Got the 4.2 update this evening, then got the 4.2.1 prompt after rebooting. However for some reason SwiftKey was deleted from my phone during the process. Not a big deal as it was easily rectified but found it a bit odd. Google trying to push their new swipey keyboard?!

Edit: also, have the screen sharpness levels been adjusted? Everything seems a bit more...... Fuzzy.

Updated! OTA, Takju, Australia

EDIT Lock screen widgets suck. Just unlock the phone?

Otherwise, I like everything else.

Got the update 2 days ago (yakju, in AU).

Agree with lock screen, older one was better. 4.1 clock was better too..not digging the new one.

How do you input quick punctuation with 4.2 kbd? With swype it was really convenient to drag ? or ! over space bar.

I replaced the stock clock with the one from HD Widgets. Better than both IMO.

Putting too many widgets (more than 3) on your lockscreen makes the phone too slow to turn on. :( I wanted more than 3.

Kanyon

In AU as well and got the 4.1.2 update and the phone is really sluggish now... Hate the new lock screen and alarm clock, it's a step backwards in my opinion.

Seems to be a common complaint around here. Wish my N4 would get it into my grubby little hands already!

cDNA

I have not been following this thread recently, but anyone on here is suffering random reboots, phone freezing, lag input. I tried different thing like remove Go launcher and use the stock launcher giving me problems. I have the last update that Verizon pushed.

Cipherr

I have not been following this thread recently, but anyone on here is suffering random reboots, phone freezing, lag input. I tried different thing like remove Go launcher and use the stock launcher giving me problems. I have the last update that Verizon pushed.

Yeah the 4.2.0 introduced a battery drain from Location services and those annoying fucking random reboots and the occassional stutter that wasn't there before. The sooner they get a point release out to remedy those, the better.

beat

Man, Dolphin Browser went crazy on me starting yesterday. Suddenly starting eating battery life like crazy... I ended up uninstalling it and re-installing it to see if that would fix things.

Yeah the 4.2.0 introduced a battery drain from Location services and those annoying fucking random reboots and the occassional stutter that wasn't there before. The sooner they get a point release out to remedy those, the better.

I was actually getting a battery drain from VZW stock 4.1.1. I believe it was caused by the recent Maps update, turning off Location services sorted that. Well, I guess that's immaterial to me now, as I retired my VZW Gnex 3 days ago.

Oozer3993

Same for me. My Verizon GNex has been acting out lately. I don't know what's causing it.

kinggroin

Banned
About a year later, and this phone still fucking kills.

Best Nexus.

Edit: Hilarious this post is considering the bunch just before.

KiKaL

I am with you, I love my Nexus although I have been getting some random reboots. I don't know if it happens often or not. I just notice when it happens when I am listening to music.

Top Bottom