• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

RJM77

The OTA update failed on my phone. So I ended up doing a manual install which included me wiping everything on the phone and starting from scratch, getting it prepared to sell. I haven't had any of the reboot issues that a friend and a bunch of people have been having. Perhaps doing the upgrade instead of a wipe/install is what's causing the reboots.

Trey

My phone randomly tells me my SIM card can't be detected, and shortly thereafter, texts and service predictably stops working.

Any suggestions as to what the issue may be, and how I would get it resolved?

Definitely getting more stock browser crashes on 4.2.1, methinks a few fixes and updates are in order.

Perhaps they can try to make the lock screen and widgets a bit more streamlined as well, not digging the implementation in its current form.

Cipherr

OTA 4.2.1 yakju Australia.

Got it a few hours ago.

I have a playstore GalNex, and I swear, I get my official rollouts the same time they seem to push them to Australian phones. This is the third straight update where I look at my phone and FINALLY see the damn update, and see someone here or on XDA saying that the OTA is being pushed in Aus at that exact moment.

Nicktendo86

Just installed the latest CM10 nightly and it's running so smooth. Wondering what 4.2-based ones are going to be like.

I use the Euroskank one by fitsnugly, it works perfectly. Do yourself a favour and give it a try. He has put on twitter that lock screen targets are coming back soon which was the only thing really missing compared to CM10.

Berto2K

My galaxy nexus won't charge my battery anymore. Sending it into verizon, hopefully I can get some answers.
I am in the same boat. I think mine may be a internal charger cable connector issue though. It says it is charging with the icon at the top, but when you go into the battery monitor in settings, it says either not-charging, or even discharging. Rarely does it say charging. It can sit for hours charging and only get like 15-20% more charged.

Piano

Banned
Heed my warning:
Flashing a 4.2 ROM will completely fuck up your file structure.

If you're planning on jumping to 4.2 you seriously can't go back. CWM will cease to locate your recoveries and even if you do manage to jump back, which I spent forever today trying to do, you'll be left with unbelievable and incomprehensible amounts of file redundancies.

I was trying to clean up afterwards and apparently deleted all of my photos from...ever. All of them.

I made a thread about it. Fun times.

3phemeral

Heed my warning:

If you're planning on jumping to 4.2 you seriously can't go back. CWM will cease to locate your recoveries and even if you do manage to jump back, which I spent forever today trying to do, you'll be left with unbelievable and incomprehensible amounts of file redundancies.

I was trying to clean up afterwards and apparently deleted all of my photos from...ever. All of them.

I read about the file structure change and it was the reason why I avoided any 4.2 ROM.

Nicktendo86

Heed my warning:

Found this out the hard way. Your files will still be there but new ones are made/duplicated in a new folder called 0. Weird as fuck.

Saerk

My galaxy nexus won't charge my battery anymore. Sending it into verizon, hopefully I can get some answers.

Mine stopped charging as well, but I was able to fix it by bending the connector up. I used a flat head screwdriver, placed it under the connector tab, and applied enough force to straighten it out. The tab seems to get bent out of position to the point where it won't make an proper connection and charge, so putting it back in place might be all you need to do.

Oh, take the battery out before you mess with it.

iavi

I am with you, I love my Nexus although I have been getting some random reboots. I don't know if it happens often or not. I just notice when it happens when I am listening to music.

Same here. I'm also getting burn-in on the screen now, which is concerning.

Nicktendo86

I've had burn in on my GNex for several months. Nothing unusual there unfortunately. Just Super AMOLED doing its thing.

Indeed which is why, and I will say it again, I will never again get a Samsung amoled screen ever again. I love this phone and I will be so happy with it if it wasn't for the screen.

The Rizza

I used to use CodenameAndroid as my main rom but now CNA hasn't been active in weeks so I'm ready to move on to a new rom. I'm looking for a rom with as much customization as CNA. Any ideas?

Cudder

I don't know what it is, but ever since 4.2 my GNex has been acting super shitty.

Screenshot_2012_12_06_03_11_23.png

This one might have to do with the latest beautiful widgets update, OR 4.2, but regardless, whenever I press the home button to get to the home screen, a lot of times this happens for a few seconds (one time it happened for like 10 seconds before the widget showed again.)

More often than that, though, the widget will flash once (like it's reloading itself) when I press the home button. It's annoying as hell and never did that before.

Screenshot_2012_12_11_12_05_09.png

WHAT is this. Is this some new warning in 4.2? I get this a couple times a day (I think it happens whenever I turn my phone off and on, but sometimes I get it even without rebooting when I try to raise the volume playing music.)

Screenshot_2012_12_11_15_06_20.png

This one only happened once to my lock screen, about 10 minutes ago, but seriously what the fuck is this.

And on top of all that, I'm getting random reboots like 2-3 times a day now. Fuck 4.2, man. Fuck it.

VPhys

I am with you, I love my Nexus although I have been getting some random reboots. I don't know if it happens often or not. I just notice when it happens when I am listening to music.

Getting random reboots as well. Also, my phone will sometimes not recognize my Sim card and I will have to restart. Verizon is sending me a new Sim card today.

Indeed which is why, and I will say it again, I will never again get a Samsung amoled screen ever again. I love this phone and I will be so happy with it if it wasn't for the screen.
In not that fussed about it on a phone screen most of the time. However the Koreans will need to figure the burn-in out before they can sell OLED TVs.

Lexxon

My VZW phone completely 'died' on me a few days ago. Was doing a clockwork backup of my 4.1.1 Bugless Beast setup that was having some problems (due to oddball app restores I believe) and the backup was sitting there for ~2 hours doing nothing. So, like any irresponsible user, I battery pulled. Try to boot back into Android, nothing. Go into recovery, check for a ROM file to load (had thrown it on the phone earlier)...well, picking anything that would read the /sdcard partition would freeze up recovery completely.

Uh oh.

Eventually I did a little research and simply had to use the 4.1.1 Verizon factory image on Google's site. Once I did that everything seemed to work fine once again. Flashed Clockwork again and now I'm on a relatively barebones 4.2.1 ROM called "Shiny".

It seems to be running pretty well despite the problems with 4.2 many people are having. It's probably because this is essentially a clean install with no existing data. Yes, my folder structure is all goofed up (everything is inside of a folder called 0, and THEN it's the /sdcard layout) and I think this will continue to be an issue with any AOSP ROM that doesn't disable multi-user. It's an interesting feature to have, and a very nice one on tablets, but I imagine a ton of phone users have no use for it and would rather go back to the simple folder layout of a single-user phone. Hopefully the devs figure out how to do that while still building from AOSP, if it's possible at all.

However, I will say that none of the new 4.2 features excite me at all. The lockscreen widgets are OK I guess, but nothing I'd really regularly use. The quick settings are much needed but I've been using the 'Power Toggles' app for the majority of these settings, and I think I still prefer using that instead of going into another menu to toggle on/off.

I have roughly 4 days left on my warranty and almost called it in while having all of these issues. I'm an early adopter and have had data issues in the past, weak signals, all that jazz. Anyone know how reliable current VZW refurbs are? Any better than early models for signal strength and reliable data?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
can anyone reccommend a Bumper case for the VZW G-Nex? Not a full one that has a back, just a bumper like the GS3, Nex4, and GNote 2 have? I'm having a hard time finding one.

Mordeccai

Crosspost from Android gaf thread, but want to make sure I get some smarter people than I to see this as I can't fix it.

Android gaf, I have an issue with my radios.

Earlier today on my VZW Gnex, the signal strength indicator on my phone displayed no signal. Just a grey outlined black triangle. This has happened on occasion but switching between LTE/CDMA or turning on airplane mode would usually fix it. Today, no go. Was also getting a notice that I needed to insert a SIM card to use the network on my phone, so I reinstalled the SIM, and still nothing.

I was on a stock 4.2.1 rom from XDA when this happened. So I just switched roms to MMuzzy's 4.2.1 build and still no signal. Reinstalled SIM card again, nothing. Just flashed the 4.2.1 radios from XDA, and still nothing.

Hoping someone on here can help me out with this? I'm kinda screwed if I don't have a phone tomorrow as I have a few important calls I'm expecting.

edit: got the radio working. Downloaded a stock rom from googles servers, ran a super wipe script, wiped data and cache/dalvik three times and loaded it up. Took a bit for it to find signal but its there now.

Crosspost from Android gaf thread, but want to make sure I get some smarter people than I to see this as I can't fix it.

Android gaf, I have an issue with my radios.

Earlier today on my VZW Gnex, the signal strength indicator on my phone displayed no signal. Just a grey outlined black triangle. This has happened on occasion but switching between LTE/CDMA or turning on airplane mode would usually fix it. Today, no go. Was also getting a notice that I needed to insert a SIM card to use the network on my phone, so I reinstalled the SIM, and still nothing.

I was on a stock 4.2.1 rom from XDA when this happened. So I just switched roms to MMuzzy's 4.2.1 build and still no signal. Reinstalled SIM card again, nothing. Just flashed the 4.2.1 radios from XDA, and still nothing.

Hoping someone on here can help me out with this? I'm kinda screwed if I don't have a phone tomorrow as I have a few important calls I'm expecting.

edit: got the radio working. Downloaded a stock rom from googles servers, ran a super wipe script, wiped data and cache/dalvik three times and loaded it up. Took a bit for it to find signal but its there now.

This is why I tend to stick with stock these days unless there is some amazing rom only functionality I can't live without it (use to be the case with every release up until ICS/Jellybean). The instability of custom roms has very nearly screwed me twice on business trips and I can't take the risk of any potential instabilities any more.

Has anyone had any problems taking panoramic pictures since the inclusion of Photosphere? I'm able to take photosphere pictures but any time I take a panoramic it will stop halfway through the rendering and go back to the home screen and the image doesn't appear in the gallery. Is this a known problem or is it just my phone?

HawkeyeIC

So should I skip a 4.2.1 Rom for now and stay with 4.1.2? Can't tell if the problems are that bad, or if people are just complaining. What are the better ROMs for 4.1 and 4.2 at this point?

Nicktendo86

Just nightlies and no stable right? How does it handle updates, full wipe and reinstall?

I'm running Vicious 4.1, if I go to CM10.1 I have to start over right?
Just nightlies at the moment but they are very stable on the gnexus. You can dirty flash over cm10 no probs but from other ROMs will need a full wipe. Not had a single problem since official cm10.1 nightlies started.

thespot84

so i went from jellybelly 8 (jellybean on my toro) to cm nightlies just for shits, but forgot about the filesystem thing. Now my old filesystem is in a '0' folder in the new filesystem. Did I just screw myself? can I go back to my old backup?

Quick guys, before I throw my phone out the fucking window. I reaaally want some more battery life in this thing. I want to be able to actually USE the phone without having to charge it every 6 hours. Have there been released any higher capacity batteries (normal size) or is there a good extended battery that does not take up too much space? ( I want tone able to keep using my protective case). I have an European Galaxy nexus btw. (CDMA?)

thanks a lot

thespot84

Quick guys, before I throw my phone out the fucking window. I reaaally want some more battery life in this thing. I want to be able to actually USE the phone without having to charge it every 6 hours. Have there been released any higher capacity batteries (normal size) or is there a good extended battery that does not take up too much space? ( I want tone able to keep using my protective case). I have an European Galaxy nexus btw. (CDMA?)

thanks a lot

what's your screen on time during those 6 hours? out of curiousity...

thanks a lot

Get the extended battery off ebay, got mine from a Korean seller, think his ebay id was shimshop. Extended battery, larger backplate and shipping for about £20.

Edit: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=110797773716

Edit 2: you have the gsm galaxy nexus if you are in Europe.

Top Bottom