• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I will do that only if it supports LTE and is able to be on CDMA networks like Verizon.

Which is never.

I kinda want to jump ship from Verizon, but I got unlimited data, and it feels too good :(

I left my Verizon Gnex for a Galaxy Note II and it is literally the best phone I have ever used. TouchWiz required a little getting used to after stock Android but the feature set over stock is pretty amazing and the battery life is unbelievable coming from a device that I could kill in about 4 hours of use.

The wife wants a tablet, so this will be the first time we jump into the tablet scene, what is the preferred android tablet? We both have Galaxy S3 phones is that helps any.

Or should we wait for a new model that is on the horizon?

Got 4.2.2 on yakju this morning.
Noticed anything different besides long-pressing on the double-swipe menu to enable/disable wireless etc? Got the update Thursday (humblebrag) and haven't noticed anything else. Oh, the battery flat noise is different too...

Got 4.2.2 on your occam yet? Guy at work got the update yesteday.

The wife wants a tablet, so this will be the first time we jump into the tablet scene, what is the preferred android tablet?
The Nexus 7 is pretty great, and is cheap. I have a 10" TouchPad running ICS that I've not even used once since getting my Nexus 7 in July/August. I also have a work-supplied iPad 3 64GB 3G which I almost never use. Really like the Nexus 7.

wow, thanks but that's too much for me. I prefer to carry around the charger. I wish there would be something with half the bulk at around 3000mAh or something. Does anyone know?
Just buy a spare battery or two? I bought two of these (one each for the wife and I) in August last year and they've been fine.

Noticed anything different besides long-pressing on the double-swipe menu to enable/disable wireless etc? Got the update Thursday (humblebrag) and haven't noticed anything else. Oh, the battery flat noise is different too...

Subtle icon and phrasing changes, noticed only after someone pointed them out on Android police. I use a widget for power control, so don't really care about the long press toggle options. Good to have them though, wifi and bluetooth can be turned on/off without unlocking the phone.

N4 got updated 3 days ago.

Also, telstra finally released ICS for the galaxy 8.9 tab. What a drastic change from honeycomb.

The Nexus 7 is pretty great, and is cheap. I have a 10" TouchPad running ICS that I've not even used once since getting my Nexus 7 in July/August. I also have a work-supplied iPad 3 64GB 3G which I almost never use. Really like the Nexus 7.

Just buy a spare battery or two? I bought two of these (one each for the wife and I) in August last year and they've been fine.

Yeah that's exactly what I did, now I have the original battery and the extended one. The thing is that the battery charger I bought does not seem to charge the battery fully, it drains super fast, do it kind of defeated the purpose of having two batteries with me. I'm doing OK with the extended one but I still need to carry my charger around everywhere I go.

Nope, it's not bound to any telecom provider. Bought in Luxemburg.

Have you flashed a custom kernel or made any changes to the (modifcations/deleted apps) to the stock os?

There is a Nexus update checker on the market which will tell you what updates are available for your model of Nexus, might be worth checking out.

Have you flashed a custom kernel or made any changes to the (modifcations/deleted apps) to the stock os?

There is a Nexus update checker on the market which will tell you what updates are available for your model of Nexus, might be worth checking out.

I get this, I assume I need to unroot?

WRq7ZYZ.png

No it's not due to root, it's because your model is yakjuxw, which doesn't get its updates direct from Google. Off top of my head, Google 'yakjuxw to yakju' to change your model device ID, you should then be able to receive OTA updates direct from Google.

yakjuxw gets updates from Samsung? 4.1.1 is the latest there is. Will there be any issues to change from yakjuxw to yakju?

I got exactly this with the same app. I bought the phone used from an eBay seller in Luxemburg. I'm assuming I'm not quite running vanilla on this phone, then?

I think some (European) models get managed and updated by Samsung, which is probably just as bad as the Verizon GN.

Installed franco kernel last night. It made everything worse!

Took 4 hours to fully charge. Usage wise, battery is getting deleted much faster.
Down to 57% after 5.5 hours, with only 45 mins screen time.:(

Also everything is lagging like hell.

Piano

Banned
franco never worked well for me.
leankernel + leantweaks and some basic configuration has served me very well. I haven't changed the ROM or kernel on my phone in months - it basically got to a point where I'm so satisfied with how well it functions that I don't want to rock the boat until a new (not shitty) version of Android comes along.

Darkwater

You can update manually but it would remove all your data on /sdcard.

Damn. I bought this phone so that I'd be running the latest and greatest version of android at all times. Now I find out some schmuck from Samsung has to approve my updates? No wonder I'm still on 4.1.1!

I'll be flashing to Takju as soon as I can.

Damn. I bought this phone so that I'd be running the latest and greatest version of android at all times. Now I find out some schmuck from Samsung has to approve my updates? No wonder I'm still on 4.1.1!

I'll be flashing to Takju as soon as I can.

What can I say, the Nexus program is a joke.

I like the vanilla-ness of it. Like a new laptop that you format. No frills. But you're probably on a custom rom, I gather. Care to clue me in? :)

Oh, no, I'm running stock Android 4.2.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and I'm sure there are times where I don't hate the OS. But I was mainly speaking about how the yakju GN is the only real Galaxy Nexus and all the other devices are simply left to die, despite the brand and the promise it comes with. The Sprint Nexus S was in a similar position, where it took ages before it got the last official update (few months before the GN reveal, I think) and then you have the Nexus 4.

Cudder

Oh, no, I'm running stock Android 4.2.2 on my Galaxy Nexus and I'm sure there are times where I don't hate the OS. But I was mainly speaking about how the yakju GN is the only real Galaxy Nexus and all the other devices are simply left to die, despite the brand and the promise it comes with. The Sprint Nexus S was in a similar position, where it took ages before it got the last official update (few months before the GN reveal, I think) and then you have the Nexus 4.

Not only that, but we now have division and fragmentation from within the Nexus line now. There used to be one baseband version (yakju), but now there is takju and I believe one other version of Nexus phone, and they all pretty much get updates now at different times.

franco never worked well for me.
leankernel + leantweaks and some basic configuration has served me very well. I haven't changed the ROM or kernel on my phone in months - it basically got to a point where I'm so satisfied with how well it functions that I don't want to rock the boat until a new (not shitty) version of Android comes along.

Links please. Would like to try it out.

I did a stress test with franco today, just over 9 hours for battery drain. Screen usage was only 2 hours. :(

Nicktendo86

As far as I'm concerned, Cyanogenmod IS stock android, or what it SHOULD be anyway. CM10.1 on the GNexus is godly.

My only problem with 4.2.2 so far is how it takes like an extra second for the phone to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. Is this an issue for anyone else?

It's funny of you to think that Samsung would actually update their Nexus past 4.1.

Before getting the phone I didn't even know of the variants that Samsung distributed. If I did I would have done the manual update myself from day one.

Just switched from the latest CM 10.1 Nightlies to Paranoid Android 3.10, and I love it. The Hybrid mode works great, and my LTE GN runs a lot better now than it did on CM.

3phemeral

AOKP just released their Build 4 and I have to say, I'm hesitant to try it. Build 1 was golden and Build 2 I didn't see any noticeable difference. Build 3 has been nothing but trouble for me, as it's been super sluggish, fights with the keyboard, even with me limiting the amount of apps and widgets to 2 pages of icons.

Supposedly Build 4 fixes some memory leaks from Build 3, but I've been reading about GPS wake locks that don't make me happy. I might have to jump to another ROM again until this gets hammered out. I was previously on CM 10.1. What's everyone's current favorite ROM?

Nicktendo86

AOKP just released their Build 4 and I have to say, I'm hesitant to try it. Build 1 was golden and Build 2 I didn't see any noticeable difference. Build 3 has been nothing but trouble for me, as it's been super sluggish, fights with the keyboard, even with me limiting the amount of apps and widgets to 2 pages of icons.

Supposedly Build 4 fixes some memory leaks from Build 3, but I've been reading about GPS wake locks that don't make me happy. I might have to jump to another ROM again until this gets hammered out. I was previously on CM 10.1. What's everyone's current favorite ROM?

I used to be an AOKP fan but am on CM10.1 and love it. I tried the newer AOKP mr1 builds but I get different touch and keyboard sounds that really annoy me, does anyone else get that?

3phemeral

I used to be an AOKP fan but am on CM10.1 and love it. I tried the newer AOKP mr1 builds but I get different touch and keyboard sounds that really annoy me, does anyone else get that?

Hm.. I'll consider this. CM 10.1 was my daily driver for a few months before AOKP started releasing 4.2 builds.

Give Paranoid Android a try. Very easy tweaks to the resolution make the GN feel a lot like a Phablet, and I'm getting great battery life.
I tried this for about a month and it was working fine until Gmail would crash. I tried setting gmail to tablet mode and it just gave me huge headaches. Even after setting back to phone mode, it kept giving me crashes. I don't know if that's a common thing (have you experienced that?), because when I did use PA, it was pretty nice prior to the crashes.

Kind of noob when it comes to rooting and everything, but i was wondering if there any repercussions of rooting my verizon nexus, wanna improve the battery life and need other addons like custom lock screen...does it void the warranty or phone insurance ? If it doesn't can someone link me where to begin from in order to root my phone..thankyou kindly

I tried this for about a month and it was working fine until Gmail would crash. I tried setting gmail to tablet mode and it just gave me huge headaches. Even after setting back to phone mode, it kept giving me crashes. I don't know if that's a common thing (have you experienced that?), because when I did use PA, it was pretty nice prior to the crashes.

Not had a single crash or Force Close in the five days I've been using it. Very impressed so far.

thespot84

Kind of noob when it comes to rooting and everything, but i was wondering if there any repercussions of rooting my verizon nexus, wanna improve the battery life and need other addons like custom lock screen...does it void the warranty or phone insurance ? If it doesn't can someone link me where to begin from in order to root my phone..thankyou kindly

Technically an unlocked bootloader will void your warranty. However, in 95/100 cases, you'll have access to a bootable phone which means you can put it back to stock and relock the bootloader and you're good to go. If for some reason your phone simply won't boot (quite rare) and you're unlocked you're kinda screwed. I weighed the decision a long time ago and I've now had a rooted android phone (OG droid then gnex) for 3 years without issue. The ability to tether and get updates sooner is what sold me.

If you end up doing it, http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1455 will be your new home.

reKon

Banned
For some reason Xenon HD was running pretty shitty compared to the CM nightly that I just installed last night. I don't know why this was the case, but I'm going to stick with this and its custom kernel because its been the smoothest room that I've ran with 10.1. If the GPS is fine and the battery doesn't have draining issues then I'll definitely be sticking with CM for a while. The last AOKP ROM was 4.1.2 for me and it was just bad.

Top Bottom