• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

clav

BigFwoosh said:
I don't get this. Verizon has the largest and fastest network in the US, and it has never had a Nexus device. Plus, every other carrier has the GS2, which is a frigging awesome device as well.
The past Nexus phones were released both on T-Mobile and Sprint.

Doesn't make sense to make this one exclusive.

That RAZR is a monster.

I don't know why everyone always expects the Nexus phones to be on cutting edge hardware, their role is to showcase android on a device as to their expected minimum specs. So for ICS this nexus is supposed to be the baseline, not the market leader tech wise.

sooperkool said:
That RAZR is a monster.

I don't know why everyone always expects the Nexus phones to be on cutting edge hardware, their role is to showcase android on a device as to their expected minimum specs. So for ICS this nexus is supposed to be the baseline, not the market leader tech wise.
that's what kind of worries me about the ICS reveal. The prime, if the rumoured specs are to be released looks like a pretty damn high end phone with its dual core, lots of ram, and everything else. So if it runs well on the demo...I'm not sure if I should believe it. Doesn't mean it'll run that well on my Nexus S.

Maybe they'll show it on older devices though, but that's doubtful...

clav

BigFwoosh said:
Also $$$$$$$
The Nexus Prime event is not even held in the USA. Why would there be a carrier exclusivity announcement there?

"HEY GUYS. You need Verizon to use this phone!"

Give me a break.

kehs

Banned
claviertekky said:
The Nexus Prime event is not even held in the USA. Why would there be a carrier exclusivity announcement there?

Power of Verizon. So powerful they don't even need to put their name on the invite for the event. You just sorta feel they're involved.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gcubed said:
its a galaxy s2 based phone, i dont see why it would have a different camera then whats on the galaxy s2
Don't all the leaks point to a 5mp camera rather than an 8mp like on the galaxy s2?

What sucks about Verizon (leaving Tmob and Sprint out because I'm not familiar with their phone pricing) that nobody ever talks about is how high their phones prices are. $300 on contract for Droid Razr is just another example.

I'm on ATT, and nothing cracks 199. Most stuff is 99 in fact.

Whereas Verizon, anything upper end gets slotted at 299.

For example, the HTC Thunderbolt is essentially the same phone internally as the HTC Inspire, the TBolt is 249 IIRC on Verizon where the Inspire is 99 on ATT.

The sad thing is Verizon gets away with it totally without major media criticism, so I expect ATT to start pricing their phones higher any time now :(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
specialguy said:
What sucks about Verizon (leaving Tmob and Sprint out because I'm not familiar with their phone pricing) that nobody ever talks about is how high their phones prices are. $300 on contract for Droid Razr is just another example.

For example, the HTC Thunderbolt is essentially the same phone internally as the HTC Inspire, the TBolt is 249 IIRC on Verizon where the Inspire is 99 on ATT.

The sad thing is Verizon gets away with it totally without major media criticism, so I expect ATT to start pricing their phones higher any time now :(

When LTE devices start arriving on ATT, I suspect they'll be pricier. The Jetstream, for example.

specialguy said:

LTE BABY!

i can't recall the last time Sprint was north of $199 on a phone, but T-Mobile is about to do that with the Amaze and Galaxy S II

Futureman

specialguy said:

I know you are probably just talking about Android, but there's the $400 iPhone.

And Yea, the $300 on contract feels to me like Verizon trying to show their LTE phones better.

-Pyromaniac- said:
that's what kind of worries me about the ICS reveal. The prime, if the rumoured specs are to be released looks like a pretty damn high end phone with its dual core, lots of ram, and everything else. So if it runs well on the demo...I'm not sure if I should believe it. Doesn't mean it'll run that well on my Nexus S.

ell, I think it will run OK, I have a Nexus S4G so we can suffer together.

sooperkool said:
ell, I think it will run OK, I have a Nexus S4G so we can suffer together.
brofistcover.jpg

specialguy said:

Remember, VZW has the highest prices in the industry across the board (phones, plans, accessories, services). They are like BofA in that price increases start there and if they're accepted the entire industry follows suit.

gcubed

-Pyromaniac- said:

If WP7 can run on the hardware its running on, there is no reason to think that ICS won't run on equivalent.

gcubed said:
If WP7 can run on the hardware its running on, there is no reason to think that ICS won't run on equivalent.
my hope is that ICS will finally make android as buttery smooth as iOS and WP7 are able to do on old ass devices, but for some reason I doubt google. Maybe because it has taken them this long I still have lingering doubts that they won't/can't do it for some reason I can't imagine.

Hope I'm wrong.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
gcubed said:
Wp7 was built around a very specific (now mid level) hardware. Same for iOS and the hardware it supports. ICS will be hard pressed to achieve that level of smoothness across the broad range of devices that android supports.

VanMardigan said:
Wp7 was built around a very specific (now mid level) hardware. Same for iOS and the hardware it supports. ICS will be hard pressed to achieve that level of smoothness across the broad range of devices that android supports.
why not just build the OS to run well on those devices to begin with then. I hope they didn't use the Prime as their only main testing ground for ICS.

Raistlin

Wait ... the Prime has a concave screen?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nice way to hop on the form over function bandwagon.

Raistlin said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

but it's all about function... that's why most flip phones open to be at a certain angle and most house phones are curved at an angle... your face is curved.

Jeff-DSA

Raistlin said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Are you stupid? I think you might be stupid. Seems like it. Evidence points to yes.

Raistlin said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4059/nexus-s-and-android-23-review-gingerbread-for-the-holidays/4

The curved surface is more of an aesthetic extra than an ergonomic feature, but it still is impressive that this is possible. The nice thing about having the front face in compression (from the concave shape) is that scratches probably don’t affect the glass’ structural integrity nearly as much as they would in tension. Glass is just stronger in compression rather than tension - the reason is primarily because cracks don’t propagate as well on surfaces in compression as they do in tension.

Concave = stronger glass.

kehs

Banned
As I tried to make a self deprecating joke, I just realized initials for both defenses forces are the same.

Now, I'm not sure if my previous ADF posts were taken in correctly.

tfur

Raistlin said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually, it could be argued form following the function of: your hand not being flat and your face being rounded. Also having curved edges make it fit better in your hand, although I prefer the N1 being rounded on both the top and bottom side.

I guess we will have to see what problems more organic shapes introduce.

Edit: pimp beaten

kehs

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
why not just build the OS to run well on those devices to begin with then. I hope they didn't use the Prime as their only main testing ground for ICS.

Google chose to launch first and integrate later. MS chose to integrate first and launch later.

Which approve worked out best for the two companies?

Sky Chief

Jeff-DSA said:
With a concave you also get less of your face touching the phone while talking on it.

Also you can place the phone on a table screen down and the screen won't get scratched. For a phone with a big screen it will also fit in your pocket better.

Raistlin

Jeff-DSA said:
Are you stupid? I think you might be stupid. Seems like it. Evidence points to yes.
f0rk said:
Yeah man convex is a much better idea
The Faceless Master said:
but it's all about function... that's why most flip phones open to be at a certain angle and most house phones are curved at an angle... your face is curved.
The problem is concave worsens reflections. Phones that use it suffer in the light

Phone does look ace though

Copernicus said:
Google chose to launch first and integrate later. MS chose to integrate first and launch later.

Which approve worked out best for the two companies?
this reminds me, when will WP7 phones start to get front cameras for video chat?

SimleuqiR

rabhw said:
I know this was posted earlier but:

201110185192.jpg

Eric Schmidt at the Moto event. Safe to say that's the prime?

Yeah, that's what I wrote (half seriously) about it being the Prime. The "metal" rim seems to match the earlier rumors.

scorcho said:
from 10 feet away it looks like an iPhone to me.

You channeling Samsung's lawyers.

Sky Chief

rabhw said:
I know this was posted earlier but:

201110185192.jpg

Eric Schmidt at the Moto event. Safe to say that's the prime?

People are saying its a Blackberry. He's probably watching a liveblog of the BBX announcement

jersoc

I can't wait to get rid of my OG droid and get a phone that isn't a slow POS.

Hoping the Nov 10th date is wrong, but it doesn't look like it :( 3 week wait is going to suck.

Top Bottom