• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

JayB1920

Exactly, that would help with LOD differences.
Can someone with the XBO copy take a screenshot of that area now?

Im actually in that area now so I am going to try and see if I can. I will also try to get the Syria tomb as well. I never uploaded an image before so I have to figure it out.

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's likely that some PC enhancements will be used on the PS4 sku, but if the game scales high I don't think it's possible for the PS4 version to integrate all the bells and whistles.

Remember there is only about 50% power difference between the xbone and the PS4. It is very common for visual upgrades to have a 20-25% hit.

It would not less us appreciate the LOD gap but the model themselves would be identical, just like MGS 5 showed significant LOD advantages of PC even at 1080p. :)
I'm sorry but your attempt at damage controlling the PC advantages with the 4K does not work. Even at 1080p the draw distance will be higher, confirmed by some SE guy on IGN.
Damage control, what the fuck?
Did you read my post about massive differences in LOD?
You're just lumping me into the group that downplays based on the fact that I argue that 4K helps improve LOD?

But the attemps at downplaying the PC version are not surprising at all

Sure it looks better, but it takes a $2000 PC to make it look like that.
Am I doing this right?
You're just lumping me into the group that downplays based on the fact that I argue that 4K helps improve LOD?

It is rare for a game to have LOD controlled by resolution (as in, the LODing in of geometry). It will though increase texture detail at varying distance and image stability in textures.

jackdoe

The DF Face Off thread will be glorious.
It boggles my mind that there are gonna be three face offs for this title. The one last November, the one this month, and the one "Holiday 2016". DF is gonna get a lot of mileage with this one game.

Xyber

What?
More pixels = objects at a distance are clearer and more defined, they are literally made up of more pixels.
Are you saying that setting it to 480p wouldn't destroy the LOD?

While you are correct that more pixels will help bring out the details in stuff, the higher resolution doesn't change the LoD of the assets themselves (although it did in MGSV IIRC, or maybe that was just the draw distance).

etta

my hard graphic balls
Generally, most engines don't tie asset LOD to resolution at all.
That's not what I am referring to.
If you hold LOD constant, and then compare 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 4K, distant objects would appear better and better as you increase resolution, would they not?
Look at Battlefront DF article. The XBO's foliage looks weird whereas on PS4 the bushes appear more like actual buses, even though the model is the same for both platforms.
It can help but it certainly won't equalize the two LODs here. Even at 1080p there should be a significant difference in draw distance, and the detail of objects in the world (obviously more visible on distant objects).
And where did I say that setting the PC to 1080p would nullify the LOD differences? Or are you just assuming?

Kezen

Banned
Damage control, what the fuck?
Did you read my post about massive differences in LOD?
It can help but it certainly won't equalize the two LODs here. Even at 1080p there should be a significant difference in draw distance, and the detail of objects in the world (obviously more visible on distant objects).

Sure it looks better, but it takes a $2000 PC to make it look like that.
Am I doing this right?
Yeah and you can't even use the xbone controller on PC anyway.

It boggles my mind that there are gonna be three face offs for this title. The one last November, the one this month, and the one "Holiday 2016". DF is gonna get a lot of mileage with this one game.
Indeed, Eurogamer can be happy about staggered releases as it makes for some good traffic streams.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Generally, most engines don't tie asset LOD to resolution at all.

This is true, although I think either Wild Hunt or MGSV had improved LOD at higher resolutions, as evidenced by the NVIDIA tweak guide. I can't remember which off the top of my head though.

EvB

I hope that's in-game and not the PR style impossible to replicate bullshots.

Developers often give him special code with debug camera access etc, Square-Enix is one of his commercial clients. They are in-game PR shots, often there is a description of what techniques/hack or tools he has used to do them, but I can't see any for this

I am sure the AA is gonna be great on the PC version, something that was at times really fucking bad actually on Xbox One in certain places.

Developers often give him special code with debug camera access etc, Square-Enix is one of his commercial clients. They are in-game PR shots, often there is a description of what techniques/hack or tools he has used to do them, but I can't see any for this

Rendering: Custom resolutions @ ~40megapixel
Antialiasing: Two-pass colour-based offline AA (this is like... SMAA? I dont know)
Methods: Free camera w/ FOV and rollIn-engine tonemapping and depth of field control
Tools: Debug build supplied by Crystal Dynamics, Assembly hacks for Aspect ratio correction, SRWE for high-resolution hotsampling

What?
More pixels = objects at a distance are clearer and more defined, they are literally made up of more pixels.
Are you saying that setting it to 480p wouldn't destroy the LOD?

That's not what LOD means. Yes, it stands for Level of Detail, but it has nothing to do with what you're talking about. It's the level of detail for geometry and models.

wCkj6oL.jpg

The one on the left is being used when the camera is very close to the model and the one on the right when the camera is very far away from the model.

What you're talking about is image quality.

Wow! :)
You have to imagine that this game looks brilliant on xbox one, one of the best looking console games. I played it and had a lot of WOOOOWs. And if you look at the console screenshot thread 2015 there are some very very beautiful screenshots of ROTR; but THIS here ... PC ... I'm deeply impressed!

The DF Face Off thread will be glorious.

But the attemps at downplaying the PC version are not surprising at all, especially from xbone owners who got the very short end of the stick when it comes to multiplatform releases. :p.
To say your agenda is transparent would be laughable. The PC version will be better looking, no doubt, but DET shots are the very definition of a bull shot. You won't be playing at that quality.

Looks amazing and I can't wait to give my 980tis a good workout.

First game was a great ride, surely one of the best of 2013. Only a couple of days left.

Looks the same as on Xbox One aside from minor things like better resolution and better AA. Looking forward to PS4 vs Xbox One graphics comparison thread.

Kezen

Banned
What does make something a bullshot? What you see here isn't actually achievable during normal gameplay.

It depends on what is exposed at the user level. It can certainly require hardware out of our reach but this is not the definition of "bullshot".

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It depends on what is exposed at the user level. It can certainly require hardware out of our reach but this is not the definition of "bullshot".
I'm talking about in this case where they're using two pass offline AA and controls not exposed to the user normally.

Top Bottom