• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue axing Viacom networks on Nov 11th, adding BBCA, VICE, and more

Also Nick stuff as well probably.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric
I really, really must have lucked out on this, as I hate all of these channels and would definitely prefer the BBC and VICE. It's a bit telling for what the future that others could disappear, but since it's a monthly service with no contract, I'm not worried at all. Just jump ship if you don't want it and it's painless to do so if canceling is anything like the free trial.

Kilau

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Don't watch those either.

Wife is the only one that watches anything. If we lose Bravo i'll be in trouble.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only big loss for me is Comedy Central but even then it was mostly because I was watching South Park. It sucks but I don't think I'll be canceling my subscription anytime soon. If this keeps happening though that would be shitty.

Then again who knows, if Vue blows up in popularity Viacom might just suck it up and jump back on board.

Hmm... the only real losses that affect my household are Spike, because they show boxing and MMA, and NickToons, which my brother sometimes watches. Adding VICE means nothing to me, but BBCA is not bad.

-griffy-

Banned
That's a bummer losing those channels, but as I don't really watch those channels and do watch BBC America, it's a net gain for me.

Count me in as probably cancelling even if I don't watch some of these channels regularly that is a ton of channels to loose and still have to pay the same price.

Sony needs to lower the price or I'm out. I still only have cbs as the only local channel in my area as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My biggest problem with Vue these days is the constant stuttering. I can watch Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc just fine, but Vue gives me fits and constantly buffers. It was actually unwatchable last night. I'm okay with losing all of these channels, but it does suck to lose Comedy Central. Oh well.

belvedere

Junior Butler
That list just reminds me how much I don't watch those channels. Guess I couldn't care less!

Fuck off anyway, Viacom.

OuterLimits

I hope we don't lose Nickelodeon channels or my 3 year old may riot. Probably cancel the service if more than the 3 channels listed end up leaving.

Takao

Banned
Is Vice still a scam channel that only exists to get more TV advertisers on the web, or are people (more than 50,000) actually watching it now?

Hugstable

Banned
When does DirectTV Now launch this month?

What's Directv Now supposed to be? Tried switching to PSTV once my original Directv contract was up due to the savings in money and was using an HD Antenna to get local channels, but my household uses both MTV and Comedy Central so I'm pretty much ready to cancel Vue right now and go back to Directv.

Edit: So Nick is part of this too and will be leaving? Man this is some pretty big channels just going away if so :( :(

NavNucST3

CBS and Viacom are in talks to merge...again...so it will be interesting to see what happens with pre-existing contracts.

Haven't watched a Viacom channel since Colbert went to CBS. Still, not a trend you want to ever see start, certainly not this early in a service's existence.

Ugh, this is a big blow. Nickelodeon is huge for anyone with kids. I hated how Netflix lost their content, and now this. This may make me cancel Vue and go back to DirecTV.

Hm, I feel bad for anyone losing channels they watch but none of these matter to me. I'm about to switch from Sling to Vue now that they've added a pc app (the only thing keeping me on Sling). Picture quality on Sling is awful across the board for me, except for the pristine espn streams.

What's Directv Now supposed to be? Tried switching to PSTV once my original Directv contract was up due to the savings in money and was using an HD Antenna to get local channels, but my household uses both MTV and Comedy Central so I'm pretty much ready to cancel Vue right now and go back to Directv.

Edit: So Nick is part of this too and will be leaving? Man this is some pretty big channels just going away if so :( :(
Direct competition to Vue.

Depending on what their prices and channel offerings are and if they have a DVR I might switch to them.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well damn. And I never got a chance to use it.

Thats alot of channels, many that I watch now. It was fun while it lasted I guess...

Gurnlei

Just subscribed 5 days ago. Had to contact them 3 times so far because of a home network error (though I'm on a wired connection) but I was ok with that. But Comedy Central is kinda a deal breaker for me, guess I'll have to take the $40 loss and go for Sling.

muteki

Direct competition to Vue.

Depending on what their prices and channel offerings are and if they have a DVR I might switch to them.

I may be keeping an eye out on this if they have apps in the right places and I don't have to touch anything else DirectTV/Att related.

Ocelott

At first my wife was mad but she was OK cause because all those channels have become shit cept for comedy Central

I am definitely not resubbing this month. Comedy Central is one of the only 2 channels I watch. I'll resub if those channels come back.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Nothing of value was lost

LifeLike

MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

This has to be the most shittiest list of channel ever.

Struct09

Just started my trial and won't be continuing. Losing Comedy Central on top of everything being "Mobile Restricted" means it's not a worthwhile service to me.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It really feels Vue just lost a lot of value today and whatever they added didn't make up for the loss.
I expect it'll be downhill from here. It was a great ride while it lasted.

I'd almost certainly cancel if they hadn't added NESN last month.

OuterLimits

It really feels Vue just lost a lot of value today and whatever they added didn't make up for the loss.

I agree, even though I think BBCA is fantastic. Losing Nickelodeon channels is fairly significant for those with kids especially. Sucks that it's basically 3 days from now also that the channels are gone. I realize both sides were probably negotiating until the last minute though.

If they eventually get them back, I will get the service again. Really enjoyed my several months with it.

No Comedy Central kind of sucks, but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually watched it. I'd gladly trade that for BBC America (fuck yes!), NBATV and Vice.

I also just realized I'm now an old man.

Top Bottom