• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prison Break S5 |OT| Rogue Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... What was the point of T-Bag's robot hand?
Why did Whip need to get the blood from the middle of a lake?
There seemed to be no real PLAN for Whip at all. Just a contingency?
When they had that gun face off, they could have just outnumbered Poseidon and his +1 right there!
Could everything have been solved by just kidnapping the computer guy?

Ugh

Bad ending dogs.

this_guy

When they had that gun face off, they could have just outnumbered Poseidon and his +1 right there!

Ugh

Bad ending dogs.

Michael planted the blood in Poseidon's safe place.

Wtf. Why does Whip die like a moron.

And why does Michael not give a shit about him or T-Bag, who is now in prison all over again. What a selfish douche Michael turned out to be.

And we all know T-Bag is a dirty ass sex offender, so are we supposed to imagine that Jacob gets made into some prison bitch?

At least Lincoln won

Michael planted the blood in Poseidon's safe place.

My question was more, why did it have to be tied to a buoy in the middle of a lake? Why was it WHIP'S MISSION, specifically? It all just seemed so needless.

EDIT: Also turns out that was unnecessary because computer guy lol

If it does come back what plot could they go with?

Alright here me out. They all get cryogenically frozen somehow. They all wake up in the year 2100. Michael and the crew are ALL sent to prison for the crime of being human (robots rule the world)... Prison Break, Season 6

Jarrod38

Alright here me out. They all get cryogenically frozen somehow. They all wake up in the year 2100. Michael and the crew are ALL sent to prison for the crime of being human (robots rule the world)... Prison Break, Season 6
Would be great but for real maybe a spin off with all new characters and city.

cLOUDo

This was definitely a better ending that the last season/movie

BTW I'm the only one who notices whip's mustache?
I was very distracting, lol

Holy shit that was terrible. The facial scan and fake cabin were hilarious. They should have ended it where the camera was looking at the group on the lawn and then pans back to mike disappeared. Overall, the season was easily the worst, but still hope they do another and make it more prison break than whatever that was

ZeroX03

Banned
I liked the episode but it was obvious they had to rush things when the episode count was cut from 10 to 9. The T-Bone and Whip stuff was speed through far too quickly, Whip just died unceremoniously (who knows if he even died knowing this series). It was a fun idea to set up a rivalry between Michael and Poseidon but none of it came into play until the very end.

I thought it was stronger than S3 and S4, more or less an improved S3. Exotic location. Hostile area. Lincoln helping Michael. And we have a proper happy ending now, no need for a damn season six.

Also producers said if they had more time, we would've got more Sucre. Fair enough. Whip was no replacement. Also sorry LJ, you're gone from canon!

NeoGiff

Holy shit, they reused a season 1 shot at the end (after T-Bag grabs Jacob and it cuts to the inmates getting riled up) in which you can see John Abruzzi and his cellmate:

IKef1Qf.jpg

I'm pretty sure the overhead shots are reused too. I guess they didn't want to rebuild/reuse the interior set for such a short segment?

Slaythe

I don't even know why I kept watching after episode one, somehow hoping it'd get better.

I guess we can add this to list of shitty revivals, alongside Heroes Reborn.

X-Files is honestly borderline on the list too.

TripOpt55

That was an appropriately stupid finale to this season. I still think overall it was a lot of dumb fun. I enjoyed it. The ending for Whip was handled pretty poorly though.

What I'm wondering is what was the role of Jun (if the name is correct, the korean guy). It even asks micheal and he says "I need that nice head of yours clear"...and it's never used once? And no, the we are the champions part doesn't count since it wasn't planned

ZeroX03

Banned
Holy shit, they reused a season 1 shot at the end (after T-Bag grabs Jacob and it cuts to the inmates getting riled up) in which you can see John Abruzzi and his cellmate:

IKef1Qf.jpg

I'm pretty sure the overhead shots are reused too. I guess they didn't want to rebuild/reuse the interior set for such a short segment?

Well yeah, of course they wouldn't spend an absurd amount of money to get the prison back for a thirty second sequence.

Ugh

Bad ending dogs.

After the finale I just felt so empty. Was this season necessary ? Absolutely not. They should have keep their The Legends of Tomorrow team up a cool easter egg. That's all.

Isn't it funny that Burrows gets all the hot girls ?

Daffy Duck

Well overall it was relatively enjoyable but everything was just so lazy, there was no real cohesion to anything and lots of things were just totally ignored despite being setup.

Really really odd.

What I'm wondering is what was the role of Jun (if the name is correct, the korean guy). It even asks micheal and he says "I need that nice head of yours clear"...and it's never used once? And no, the we are the champions part doesn't count since it wasn't planned

It really seems like there never was a plan.

RS4-

Ugh

Bad ending dogs.

Not too sure about the hand, I guess it was Scofield's way of letting T-Bag know that he's serious/real or whatever.
The blood was kept cool in the water over 7 years, that's my take on it lol.
And I guess Whip was there to give Teddy a reason to actually go through with the plan to kill Jacob, without it, he probably wouldn't have gone through with it.

So er, what was the whole point of the Elvis guy ?

Elvis guy has super attention to detail; I didn't get it at first until you connect the JFK assassination set, to the recreation of the cabin where Scofield was framed for killing the CIA guy.

Anyway, crappy way to treat T-Bag like that, rushed finale.

Not too sure about the hand, I guess it was Scofield's way of letting T-Bag know that he's serious/real or whatever.
The blood was kept cool in the water over 7 years, that's my take on it lol.
And I guess Whip was there to give Teddy a reason to actually go through with the plan to kill Jacob, without it, he probably wouldn't have gone through with it.

I just don't think it can be both without any reasonable exposition. Bad writing.

Prison Break is best when Michael does some Dirk Gently tier it all comes together BS in the end. Really disappointing that the final episode needed a "Oh hey here's a random guy, he's an expert at a thing we need, isn't that great?"

The more I think about it, the lamer it is. Nothing came together.

Tagg9

God, I was facepalming through the entire finale.

How is it possible for the writers/showrunner to be so lazy? It's like they wrote 10 minutes of the script at a time, and completely ignored all prior/future events outside of that small window. I don't consider myself a competent writer, but I feel certain I create a more cohesive plotline than the embarrassment of this revival season.

Lynd7

The setup at the end was a bit weird.. What was the initial plan going to be with T-Bag? Was he meant to kill Jacob or not? Why not just shoot him from the shadows?

I liked the season but not the finale. It was rushed and there was actually no real plan. Very disappointing. I was expecting a smart pay off.

ZeroX03

Banned
I will point out, this season had an episode cut late in the game.

God, I was facepalming through the entire finale.

How is it possible for the writers/showrunner to be so lazy? It's like they wrote 10 minutes of the script at a time, and completely ignored all prior/future events outside of that small window. I don't consider myself a competent writer, but I feel certain I create a more cohesive plotline than the embarrassment of this revival season.

Are you one of the fabled lazy devs by any chance?

Go ahead and write better scrips that takes into account a limited budget, an episode cut, international shooting locations and can be produced in 8 days. Thanks.

Tagg9

Are you one of the fabled lazy devs by any chance?

Go ahead and write better scrips that takes into account a limited budget, an episode cut, international shooting locations and can be produced in 8 days. Thanks.

Haha no, I'm a developer myself and typically never criticize other professionals at their job. However, the writing simply did not match the otherwise high quality production of the show. I use the word "lazy" instead of "bad" or "substandard" because a lot of the issues with the script could have been easily avoided if they took a "big picture" look at the entirety of the season and asked themselves whether certain events made sense. And also just having the competence to conclude various storylines in a satisfactory manner.

For example, just from the last few episodes you've got:
- T-Bag was given a robotic hand for no other reason that using it to kill A&W? He could have easily used any number of other methods to kill her. Also worth pointing out how criminally underused Robert Knepper was the entire season. Although I'm impressed how well he sold what could have been a cheesy "I am your father" scene.
- On that note, why would Michael inherently trust the son of T-Bag? Surely you would do the opposite. The original series was also guilty of forgiving T-Bag for his many, many heinous violent and sexual crimes but this seems even more inexcusable.
- Introducing the side story about Lincoln owing money to a criminal organization, and then taking it absolutely nowhere. The final confrontation between him and Luca was pathetic.
- Also, why bother mentioning that Luca is Abruzzi's son? Clearly he doesn't have an iota of the gravitas that Abruzzi did, so why mention it? It contributed nada. Luca never references this connection either.
- Poseidon's reveal was sloppily handled, and was exceedingly obvious to viewers. And we're expected to believe that he sent Michael to Yemen for the sole purpose of getting him killed there? He has two fucking hitmen on speed dial! Talk about unnecessary.

I can certainly sympathise that the episode count was reduced and they likely had to do a lot of reshuffling at the last minute. But that doesn't excuse some of the larger season-wide inconsistencies. I do suspect that the writing staff were given a *very* short timeframe to come up with the scripts, which is sad to hear. The first two seasons of Prison Break had generally excellent pacing, dialogue, and plot., and I had desperately hoped they could return to that standard after taking a several year long break (presumably providing time to come up with fresh new ideas).

Lastly, it's a little rich to ask me to write a better script - we're all armchair critics on this forum. Although I suspect almost every one of us could have written something better than Superman vs Batman.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well there wasn't a lot of prison breaking in this Prison Break season :/ Started out fine but really went to shit fast. Also so many useless deaths and story points that never got resolved or had any reason in the first place..

Will there be another one, to maybe get T-Bag out or something?

velociraptor

Hahaha, yo... this seal team is completely incompetent

This show really is all over the place. It's not great, but since you never know what crazy shit they'll throw at you, I'm still drawn to the next episode...

BibiMaghoo

If it does come back what plot could they go with?

Oh they actually covered this. Right at the end when the FBI director offers Michael a job, which he declines, then asks for the favour, that presumably being that Jacob is put in Fox River. I'm sure he could take that job offer should another season be made.

In general I thought the series was pretty ill thought out, the way whip died I thought was a setup with the jar of blood, until it became obvious it wasn't, and I had to rewatch that section. It had no weight to it. The arm makes no sense to me still, but I did enjoy the way he reframed jacob for the original frame, that felt smart enough to be right for the series. It was worth watching, but probably the worst series overall.

Also not showing the ship explode after three cuts to the rocket speeding towards it was so fucking cheap of them I was genuinely surprised they thought white screen was ok for that. I get it would have been an expense, but cut to white? Lame.

The start of the season felt strong, reminded me heavily of Season 2. But the season sort of fell apart towards the end.

Didn't quite reach the highs of season 1 and 2 but to be fair, I think it also didn't get as low as some parts of season 3 and 4.

Still glad to see the gang back together again, now it's time to do that rewatch of Season 1 and 2 soon!

The arm makes no sense to me still, but I did enjoy the way he reframed jacob for the original frame, that felt smart enough to be right for the series.

I cannot believe T-bag's pointless freaking arm showed up earlier than deus ex machina, miniature figure man.

"Let's plant a bunch of unresolved shit, but the focal point of the scheme will come out of nowhere moments before we need it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom