• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vice-Presidential Debate |OT| The Big F$@*ing Deal vs. The Randian from Dairyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made this:

ivJGalmIwSYqO.gif

pigeon

Banned
Oh, of course not. I'm sure there are just as many Romney supporters here on GAF as Obama supporters.

No, there aren't, but then there aren't as many Romney supporters in America as Obama supporters either, to say nothing of the world. It's pretty well-established that if everybody who didn't vote in America did vote, every year would be LBJ's reelection all over again.

But that doesn't really respond to my point? I'm not responsible for what dumb liberals post any more than I'm responsible for what dumb conservatives post. They're dumb!

On a related topic:

This is going to be hilarious.

Poor Biden.

strobogo

Banned
Paul Ryan would have to be likable and sympathetic to get a sympathy bump. He didn't come across as either. He came off as less personable and more robotic than Mitt Romney, which has been such a big weakness with Mitt that even FOX and people with in his campaign readily admit to. And Paul Ryan came off even worse than Mitt.

All of his answers were clear rehearsed, verbatim lines spouted off like a high schooler in drama class. And when pressed and knocked out of his script, he would ramble and make no sense. That was the entire debate. How much of a weirdo do you have to be to make Mitt Romney seem like an affable and normal guy? Paul Ryan is somehow even more of the generic white guy used car salesman in a suit politician than Mitt Romney. Completely devoid of all emotion, any individual views, and any substance. Just a suit. The only way he gets a sympathy vote is because he is such a blank slate that conservatives are projecting how they feel on to him.

I feel bad for actual, non-crazy conservatives. Their party and movement has been completely hijacked by extremists who make it impossible to get elected without pandering to them entirely. The silent majority is still a thing, and I think they are pretty disapointed with the terrible candidates that are chosen in their name. People in the middle of the country who are conservative, but not racist and hateful, (the Mid West isn't all racist white folk in corn fields) don't want Mitt Romney representing them. He isn't their candidate. They are getting left behind. Major Republicans aren't pleased with Mitt Romney. I really don't think he represents where the majority of Republicans are at and want to go. And that must be a terrible feeling. I live in Indiana. We are mostly a pretty red state outside of Indy and a few select union cities. People here are not excited about Mitt Romney. The best thing said about him is "Well, he's not Obama/Democrat". I know hardcore George W. Bush supporters. Even after the past decade. They begrudgingly accept Romney because they have to, not because they want to. I think there is a large, large swath of conservatives and Republicans through out this country that feel that way and it is sad. They are being forced to radicalize and dragged along into something they aren't really comfortable with, but have little alternative.

Oh, of course not. I'm sure there are just as many Romney supporters here on GAF as Obama supporters.

Guys... we know this is a "liberal" leaning website. It skews younger, and the standards of moderation tend toward the more progressive end on western societal norms.

You don't have to bring it up every time the majority are disagreeing with you. I disagree with a lot of Dems myself. But honestly? With Bams don't expect your guy to change the rules and him to abide by the old playbook.

"I want blood Joe. Blood." was uttered in the White House the late eve of October 3rd.

3rdman

Biden had the better preparation last night, but his approach totally masked the fact that he had an upper hand. It just seemed really weird to get up in Ryan's face like that.

You do realize that Ryan is an adult and is capable of standing up for himself, right? To which, he would IF he had the intellect and the capacity to do so.

Try to keep in mind that this wasn't a debate to see who becomes the next homecoming king...they are vying for one of the most powerful position in the world. If he can't stand up to a little abuse, he's probably not worthy of the job in the first place...Hmm?

RDreamer

You do realize that Ryan is an adult and is capable of standing up for himself, right? To which, he would IF he had the intellect and the capacity to do so.

Try to keep in mind that this wasn't a debate to see who becomes the next homecoming king...they are vying for one of the most powerful position in the world. If he can't stand up to a little abuse, he's probably not worthy of the job in the first place...Hmm?

Not to mention Ryan is from the party that seems to praise puffing out your chest and talking big and mighty all the time. They love that stuff. They actively wish their politicians would more "tell it like it is." They tend to dislike nuance and being reserved about things. And now their guy gets absolutely steamrolled and it's complete bizarro world afterwards?

Not to mention Ryan is from the party that seems to praise puffing out your chest and talking big and mighty all the time. They love that stuff. They actively wish their politicians would more "tell it like it is." They tend to dislike nuance and being reserved about things. And now their guy gets absolutely steamrolled and it's complete bizarro world afterwards?

They play hard but they're soft as Fuck when the Haymakers start.

Republican party is on some of ol take our ball and go home type shit, how anyone can side with them is beyond me

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I really have to wonder at this point how GAF will react if Romney/Ryan win next month.

A lot of "I don't want to live on this planet anymore.jpg" spam i presume.

RDreamer

I really have to wonder at this point how GAF will react if Romney/Ryan win next month.

Most likely.

And I can't blame them/me if it happens.

There's absolutely no reason that Romney/Ryan should win this election in my mind. None. They're both pathological liars unqualified to be president and vice president.

The country will be a lot worse off. People will continue to live their lives, allbeit at a lower standard as time goes on. The world will not end.

Angry Fork

for sure.

just got to the his closing statement:
the line "...and i want to thank you, joe. it's been an honor to engage in this critical debate" and turn to the camera could not have been performed any more like a robot.

Obama did almost the exact same thing at every moment which is why he deserved shit for it also imo. There was nothing Obama said that I hadn't heard before on campaign trail, exactly word for word, it was really bad. Nothing was on the spot or a creative retort it wasn't even a debate it was like a state of the union with someone else there with him.

Romney is a piece of shit but he did what he had to do to fire up his base of pathological liars and ignorant assholes. It'll be interesting to see how Obama changes in the 2nd debate now that the spotlight will be on him. Romney gets rattled easily when it comes to questions he can't answer or ones that would show his hypocrisy, I hope Obama targets that like Biden did the stimulus stuff. There's SO much flip flopping hypocritical stupid statements Romney has made, there's no reason why he shouldn't be torn apart.

I wish the moderators let them go back and forth more often, that's what a debate should be until someone wins or there's a stalemate. Doing the stupid 2 minute thing will just allow people to say per-rehearsed speeches that don't mean anything. Letting them go back and forth reveals whether or not these guys really know what they're talking about. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I'm used to watching Christopher Hitchens debates so often and expecting everyone to be like that.

edit - Also does anyone have links to videos of fox news and msnbc reactions? I want to see Chris Matthews reaction after his melt down last week.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Honestly, I don't expect they will actually make too much of a difference most of us posting here.

Regardless, I'll be leaving the country sometime early next year and going to a place where the president IS actually fucking up the economy (France). Hollande is a much greater threat than Romney/Ryan, unfortunately.

Zutroy

As someone watching from the UK that was a great debate, thought Biden came across really well. It's good to see a politician actually getting passionate about something, you felt it really mattered to him. And whereas they will all be guilty of spinning things, calling Ryan out on flat-out lies and contradictions was very effective.

Didn't really know much about Ryan before but thought he came across as terrible, just a collection of sound bites and unable to respond to things. Just going through the motions and hopelessly out-classed by someone it seemed to matter far more to.

Also from the UK, that pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

It was like watching a man debate with a boy.

Brannon

Biden came across as disrespectful and rude. Laughing and interrupting nonstop made him look like he wasn't raking things seriously and that he was less interested in debating than just pushing his message through by force. He interrupted Ryan 96 times. That's over the line.

Nah, see, when a bunch of STUFF comes out of your mouth at such a rate, it's only polite to help clean it up on the spot.

Also from the UK, that pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

It was like watching a man debate with a boy.

This may, in part, be cultural. I definitely thought Biden won (or did what he had to do), but in the UK you are much more used to this kind of back and forth and the attitude Biden put forward which is seen all the time in Parliament and sparring with the Prime Minister. In the US, we don't see that too much, if at all.

njean777

Paul Ryan would have to be likable and sympathetic to get a sympathy bump. He didn't come across as either. He came off as less personable and more robotic than Mitt Romney, which has been such a big weakness with Mitt that even FOX and people with in his campaign readily admit to. And Paul Ryan came off even worse than Mitt.

All of his answers were clear rehearsed, verbatim lines spouted off like a high schooler in drama class. And when pressed and knocked out of his script, he would ramble and make no sense. That was the entire debate. How much of a weirdo do you have to be to make Mitt Romney seem like an affable and normal guy? Paul Ryan is somehow even more of the generic white guy used car salesman in a suit politician than Mitt Romney. Completely devoid of all emotion, any individual views, and any substance. Just a suit. The only way he gets a sympathy vote is because he is such a blank slate that conservatives are projecting how they feel on to him.

I feel bad for actual, non-crazy conservatives. Their party and movement has been completely hijacked by extremists who make it impossible to get elected without pandering to them entirely. The silent majority is still a thing, and I think they are pretty disapointed with the terrible candidates that are chosen in their name. People in the middle of the country who are conservative, but not racist and hateful, (the Mid West isn't all racist white folk in corn fields) don't want Mitt Romney representing them. He isn't their candidate. They are getting left behind. Major Republicans aren't pleased with Mitt Romney. I really don't think he represents where the majority of Republicans are at and want to go. And that must be a terrible feeling. I live in Indiana. We are mostly a pretty red state outside of Indy and a few select union cities. People here are not excited about Mitt Romney. The best thing said about him is "Well, he's not Obama/Democrat". I know hardcore George W. Bush supporters. Even after the past decade. They begrudgingly accept Romney because they have to, not because they want to. I think there is a large, large swath of conservatives and Republicans through out this country that feel that way and it is sad. They are being forced to radicalize and dragged along into something they aren't really comfortable with, but have little alternative.

Well the problem with this is they are still sticking to their party of choice. If you do not like Romney then do not vote for him. Who cares if he is a Republican or not, if you do not like him, then do not vote for him. It is that simple. Just because Obama is a democrat does not mean he is horrible, if you like some of what he has done and do not like Romney at all, but are still republican then just vote for Obama or write somebody in (if you like neither). Show your disdain for Romney by not giving him your vote at all vice versa for Obama.

njean777

Wow. Do grown men behave like that in the UK?

They do that here (USA) also, when it is not some set up debate, or major political debate, you are damn right people call others out on their bullshit. I do it all the time, no point in letting them spew lies from their mouth just to be respectful. Lying is more disrespectful imo.

Klocker

loved seeing Joe call Ryan out directly about foreign policy...

so you want War? is that what you're saying? If you are, just come out and say it instead of pussy footing around and telling us we're doing it wrong. because we know what the fuck we're doing and Foreign policy is pretty much a National Secuirty matter with established routes. We are doing what you will also be advised to fucking do because there are few options short of putting American in another war if you get elected asshole.

or something like that. ;O)

FLEABttn

Banned
Watching the Prime Minister take questions live and in person while smacking down bullshit on the spot, to someone's face, is an act I can only wish for as an American.

Knowing that it happens is great, but that it's broadcast on TV is some life giving nectar of the gods.

Cyan

Banned

I would flip my shit, seriously. Not as much as Bush's second term, but I'd definitely be upset.

Bowdz

loved seeing Joe call Ryan out directly about foreign policy...

so you want War? is that what you're saying? If you are, just come out and say it instead of pussy footing around and telling us we're doing it wrong. because we know what the fuck we're doing and Foreign policy is pretty much a National Secuirty matter with established routes. We are doing what you will also be advised to fucking do because there are few options short of putting American in another war if you get elected asshole.

or something like that. ;O)

I just hope Obama says the exact same thing to Romney during the next two debates. The hawkish neo-con position that we are "projecting weakness" and need to go further is truly a siren's song. It sounds very good (hell, who doesn't want a strong America to stand up to injustice) and it takes someone to go point by point to explain exactly what is being done and why going further is a dangerous idea for America. Romney and Ryan will get away with this neo-con hawkishness unless Obama forcefully calls them out on it ala Biden.

Sealda

Banned
Its just painful watching how convinced some ppl here are of O and B. I can agree if you are convinced of their politics but seriously B did not slaughter R. Open your eyes....there is a difference between winning the overall debate and winning because you dig their opinions. You gaffers saying B won, i understand if you mean it by him actually saying his politics straight out. But R was just as good with saying his stuff. A slaughter is when Romney tells his politics and Obama not even getting his ones out.

since B and R were on almost similiar levels in turns off getting their msgs out. whoevers u agree with will obviously win. Pls. stop this "if we act like B slaughtered R. eventually it will stick".

Gaf libs on debates etc:

R do +10. D do -5. Reaction: O did + 1 oh! mmmmmf R did +3.../ pffff so what if R did +10 ?!?!?!

R do +5. D do +7. Reaction: haha woooooooooot D did 10000+!!!!!! pffffr R did -5.hahahaha sucker

Canuck76

Banned
Moderator: "Can you talk in specifics about how your tax plan would work?"

Ryan: *rambles about everything except specifics"

Moderator: "So no specifics..."

The debate was over for me at that point. As a moderate, I'm open to hearing discussion on both sides of the issue but when one side has no ability to lay a single detail about how their tax plan would work on the table - you lost me.

Yeah that was the big break for Ryan there. Also about detroit "i know Mitt Romney he's a big car guy!" Two big slip ups for them.

They'd been getting that criticism about no specifics for awhile now, can't believe they really didn't bring anything to the table.

GCX

Gaf libs:

R do +10. D do -5. Reaction: O did + 1 oh! mmmmmf R did +3.../ pffff so what if R did +10 ?!?!?!

R do +5. D do +7. Reaction: haha woooooooooot D did 10000+!!!!!! pffffr R did -5.hahahaha sucker
I can't be the only one who has no idea what's going on here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Its just painful watching how convinced some ppl here are of O and B. I can agree if you are convinced of their politics but seriously B did not slaughter R. Open your eyes....there is a difference between winning the overall debate and winning because you dig their opinions. You gaffers saying B won, i understand if you mean it by him actually saying his politics straight out. But R was just as good with saying his stuff. A slaughter is when Romney tells his politics and Obama not even getting his ones out.

since B and R were on almost similiar levels in turns off getting their msgs out. whoevers u agree with will obviously win. Pls. stop this "if we act like B slaughtered R. eventually it will stick".

Gaf libs on debates etc:

Wat

Gaf libs on debates etc:

Come again?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Gaf libs:

It was plainly obvious that Ryan was spewing rehearsed bullshit and Biden smacked it all down and made him look like the weasel he is and totally outclassed. Ryan's already been painted as a serial liar and Biden just reinforced that.

As for the bottom of your post, I have no idea what all that gibberish is.

Gaf libs on debates etc:

Exactly.

bounchfx

well, if they actually improve things, sure, that's great!

but if it happens, I expect them to fuck america over more, while their supporters stay ignorant and blame obama and/or other things for the country remaining in a shitty shape while a select wealthy group continue to exploit everyone else.

Sealda

Banned

gunnabe a glorious meltdown

ot im just mad at demsgafs smugness over Biden doing a g8d deb8

Gaf libs on debates etc:

When the moderator of the debate asked Ryan, twice, to give specifics (which he still didn't), you know something's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom