• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

koam

Son of Godzilla said:
Wow, no idea you guys had production estimates too :lol Any clue how long this has been going on? I vaguely remember something about production steeping up in April, and even 5 months of half a mill stacking up seems like not enough for the holidays.

AFAIK, 1.2m as of April, upped to 1.5m recently but they don't have enough components to actually make 1.5 million a month yet so there was a delay on that.

Ikaris

Livin_Lovin said:
Just an honest question, why all the support behind Nintendo all of a sudden?

Because they're doing well. A lot of people were trashing them before the Wii and DS started "kicking ass and taking names", as they say.

koam said:
Metroid Prime 3 comes out next week.

Did you look at the numbers? Wii is ONLY winning in Japan, in fact, it's because of Japan that they are winning.

He meant Wii US sales > Wii JPN sales

Son of Godzilla said:
Wow, no idea you guys had production estimates too :lol Any clue how long this has been going on? I vaguely remember something about production steeping up in April, and even 5 months of half a mill stacking up seems like not enough for the holidays.

They haven't officially released production estimates, just a shipment forecast of 22M from launch in November 2006 up to the end of March, 2008.

They increased shipments from 20M to 22M last June/July.

mysticstylez said:
Can someone post the LTD PS3 numbers in all regions, I need a laugh.

It's actually quite sad. Although Sony has had their share of blunders in the past the PS3 is by far the most technically advanced system on the market. And offers features out of the box that none of their competitors can claim. BluRay, HDD, motion control, Wi-Fi, Free Online, Bluetooth, Web browser, Linux, etc are all offered out of the box. I'm hopeful that as the price comes down sales will pick up tremendously.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
People are happy because Nintendo is a whole lot more charismatic than Microsoft.

Ikaris said:
Good point.

Sadly, however, the people who have the money to fund most AAA titles (read: Publishers) care a lot about sales figures.

Nothing wrong with that, almost every AAA experience available to 360 could be done on Wii hardware. Exceptions: sandbox games (I don't want to play a GTA game unless it's on powerful chips).

Yes, even BioShock could be accomplished on Wii. It won't look as pretty, of course, but almost everything could be done.

Before someone flips out on me, here's my gamertag. You can look and see how much time I've sunk into BIOSHOCK in the past 3 days (580 gamerpoints and rising).

Raging Spaniard said:
People are happy because Nintendo is a whole lot more charismatic than Microsoft.
Are they really? I've always got this idea that Microsoft is "cooler" while Nintendo is all grannies and invalids.

Mar

Grats to Wii and Nintendo. They deserve every bit of their success. I love seeing the underdog come back fighting and absolutely destroy their over confident opponents.

Andy787

Banned
Ikaris said:
Good point.

Sadly, however, the people who have the money to fund most AAA titles (read: Publishers) care a lot about sales figures.
GAF just reads to me a lot like your avatar lately. :(

andHow.gif

Believe me, I fully realize the economics of the industry. I just don't see why everyone, as gamers, are cheerleading the Wii on, when it currently offers such a dismal library of quality games. Yes, the big three will be welcome additions, but even with them, the 360 is still so far and away ahead in terms of actual quality games. Shouldn't it be the one receiving the constant chearleading by gamers? Or do we just care more about bullshit industry drama now?

Ikaris

Andy787 said:

andHow.gif

The current behavior of the industry was certainly part of my inspiration for capturing that particular part of Rejected.

Andy787 said:
So why are we celebrating this? Doesn't the 360 offer a much higher quality and more diverse library of video games?

Uh.. don't we care about video games anymore? :( I mean, I kind of liked video games more than sales figures.
I've been sort of "rooting" for the Wii based on the fact that I like my videogame systems affordable and not packed with unnecessary tech for the sake of technology. (hi there PS3)

The Wii is too low on the "good graphics" spectrum for my tastes, but at the same time I own a 360 so I can get my fix in the meantime. And Nintendo has made up for technical achievement and processing power by opening up gaming a little bit and extending it beyond the same old control methods.

I don't really subscribe to the notion that the 360 offers a "much higher quality", FWIW. In graphics, certainly, but in everything else you can't say that that's the case. Graphics are important, but they're not that important.

minus_273

Banned
KachoMakura said:
It's actually quite sad. Although Sony has had their share of blunders in the past the PS3 is by far the most technically advanced system on the market. And offers features out of the box that none of their competitors can claim. BluRay, HDD, motion control, Wi-Fi, Free Online, Bluetooth, Web browser, Linux, etc are all offered out of the box. I'm hopeful that as the price comes down sales will pick up tremendously.

huh? are you saying wii does not have motion control, wi-fi, free online, bluetooth and a web browser?

Andy787

Banned
Mar_ said:
Grats to Wii and Nintendo. They deserve every bit of their success. I love seeing the underdog come back fighting and absolutely destroy their over confident opponents.
I think people care more about the retarded underdog story than the actual merits of "win." :/

RiskyChris said:
It won't look as pretty, of course, but almost everything could be done.

That's rather the point though. Metroid Prime 3 could easily be a DS game, but who would want that? And now that I say that, yea I kinda would want that... bad example I guess.

Knox

RiskyChris said:
Nothing wrong with that, almost every AAA experience available to 360 could be done on Wii hardware. Exceptions: sandbox games (I don't want to play a GTA game unless it's on powerful chips).

Yes, even BioShock could be accomplished on Wii. It won't look as pretty, of course, but almost everything could be done.

Before someone flips out on me, here's my gamertag. You can look and see how much time I've sunk into BIOSHOCK in the past 3 days (580 gamerpoints and rising).
What makes Bioshock so amazing is the atmosphere. Do you honestly think the Wii could replicate the same amount of detail it takes to make the world as immersive as it is?

minus_273 said:
huh? are you saying wii does not have motion control, wi-fi, free online, bluetooth and a web browser?

Dude the Wii isn't even in the same galaxy as the PS3 on a technology level. Please stop.

apujanata

Andy787 said:

andHow.gif

Believe me, I fully realize the economics of the industry. I just don't see why everyone, as gamers, are cheerleading the Wii on, when it currently offers such a dismal library of quality games. Yes, the big three will be welcome additions, but even with them, the 360 is still so far and away ahead in terms of actual quality games. Shouldn't it be the one receiving the constant chearleading by gamers? Or do we just care more about bullshit industry drama now?

I am happy with my PS2 and Wii. I might purchase X360 in the future, once they hit $300 (or PS3, once they hit $300). It is nice to upgrade my PS2. Since I don't have unlimited budget for gaming, 1 game every 1-3 months is nice enough for me. Zelda, Super Paper Mario, RE4 Wii, and some VC games is doing it for me. :) $8 game FTW.

Andy787 said:

andHow.gif

Because 360 owners weren't touting 360's growing lead last year when it had a handful of good games. And PS3 fans don't tout PS3 beating 360 in Japan or Europe.

Amazing that people into the gaming industry might be into the mechanics of that industry, truly astounding.

BTW 360 masturbation threads on this site far outweigh Wii ones. Most Wii threads are full of troll comments and arguments.

Andy787 said:

andHow.gif

Well, gamers also care about affordability and reliability. Oh, and innovation. Not saying the 360 doesn't offer the latter, but that's basically the premise the Wii was founded on.

Why do some gamers chastise the Wii and question the motives of those that are happy for its success? Shouldn't they be busy playing games instead of bullshit industry drama?

Plus, it's a small segment of gamers that actually care about sales (people who go to these kind of forums). Those here typically care about more than just games, they are interested in the industry as a whole.

Kinda what AdmiralViscen said.

Knox said:
What makes Bioshock so amazing is the atmosphere. Do you honestly think the Wii could replicate the same amount of detail it takes to make the world as immersive as it is?

Yeah, I think it can achieve the same atmosphere.

Cut back on some water dynamics and special effects, of course. It'll feel a little more like a game (as in, I know I'm playing a game, vs. BioShock's current suspension of reality), but it'll come damn close.

Cryect

Knox said:

I'm guessing you didn't play System Shock 2. Its basically the same game with a different plotline (but similar plot structure). Bioshock really felt to me like a System Shock 3 pushed back into the 50's and underwater instead of the future and in the space.

Edit: In fact, I feel System Shock 2 atmosphere was really better but thats subjective :p

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
apujanata said:
I am happy with my PS2 and Wii. I might purchase X360 in the future, once they hit $300 (or PS3, once they hit $300). It is nice to upgrade my PS2. Since I don't have unlimited budget for gaming, 1 game every 1-3 months is nice enough for me. Zelda, Super Paper Mario, RE4 Wii, and some VC games is doing it for me. :) $8 game FTW.

Question: Why not just buy a Gamecube then if it's all about your gaming budget? Just saying.

apujanata said:

AdmiralViscen said:
Because 360 owners weren't touting 360's growing lead last year when it had a handful of good games. And PS3 fans don't tout PS3 beating 360 in Japan or Europe.

Amazing that people into the gaming industry might be into the mechanics of that industry, truly astounding.

BTW 360 masturbation threads on this site far outweigh Wii ones. Most Wii threads are full of troll comments and arguments.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Well, gamers also care about affordability and reliability. Oh, and innovation. Not saying the 360 doesn't offer the latter, but that's basically the premise the Wii was founded on.

Why do some gamers chastise the Wii and question the motives of those that are happy for its success? Shouldn't they be busy playing games instead of bullshit industry drama?

120px-Captainplanetrings.jpg

Fio

RiskyChris said:

It's impressive how nowdays in GAF to express a opinion favorable to Wii you have to prove with Gamertags and such that you're not a crazy Nintendo fanboy. Because, well, according to GAF only Nintendo fanboys don't think that Wii is the shittiest thing among the shit.
weird.

reilo said:
Question: Why not just buy a Gamecube then if it's all about your gaming budget? Just saying.

Because he likes new games and can play Cube games on Wii?

This is one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen.

"Not having an unlimited budget," or not having $400-500, is not the same as not having $250. $100 for a Cube with its dead-end library is flushing money down the toilet.

KachoMakura said:
Yes, Linux right out of the box

and I can really see the uses of running Linux on a PS3

I mean I am looking to run apache servers on my PS3 and not use it to say...play games.

I am a bit sad for PS3 though, but frankly, I hope it dies so MGS4 gets ported to 360. I am a poor student after all. With Lair and Heavenly Sword falling bellow expectations, and Sony not having a really sold holiday line up, squeezed in between two competitors in their prime software releases...I think we might be saying "goodbye my sweet prince" sooner than we would have liked.

reilo said:

He didn't say it's all about his budget..he said he doesn't have an unlimited budget. Besides, your statement was ridiculous. It's like telling someone who touts the PS3's graphics to spend their money on a cutting edge PC instead.

Epiphyte

Knox said:
Metroid Prime was equally immersive back in 2002. It'd be a bit uglier, but art deco should actually lend itself to lower poly modeling.

AdmiralViscen said:
Because he likes new games and can play Cube games on Wii?

This is one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen.

"Not having an unlimited budget," or not having $400-500, is not the same as not having $250. $100 for a Cube with its dead-end library is flushing money down the toilet.

Especially considering we've already owned and played everything on it.

Seriously I wish I had the money to play Bioshock, but I don't. So it's Corruption for me, and I'm hyped.

The only reason I have a wii to begin with is cause my bro and I split the cost. I don't have that many gaming dollars to allocate unfortunately. I'll of course play it eventually.

I tried to picture Bioshock on the Wii and all I got was this sensation that felt like a thin wire was being fed into my eyeballs.

Okay maybe it wouldn't be that bad. But somehow I doubt my pants would be moist like chocolate pudding for the entirety of the game if I played it on the Wii.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Andy787 said:

andHow.gif

personally, im for nintendo because im all for their philosophy and i love the wii mote.

Andy787

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
You can buy one of those As-Seen-on-TV 101-games-in-one handhelds for like twenty dollars. But nobody does. Why? Because all of those 101 games are shit. Is the $50-150 less that you pay up front really more important than the drastically larger and higher quality library of the higher priced system? I'm not even getting into the technology argument.

And where is that innovation, exactly?

Andy787

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
personally, im for nintendo because im all for their philosophy and i love the wii mote.
What is Nintendo's philosophy? If you say something other than a variation of "Procuring large sums of monetary notes," I am going to have to disagree with you.

Xisiqomelir

Andy787 said:
the 360 is still so far and away ahead in terms of actual quality games. Shouldn't it be the one receiving the constant chearleading by gamers?

This early in the gen, I buy for potential.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Andy787 said:
What is Nintendo's philosophy? If you say something other than a variation of "Procuring large sums of monetary notes," I am going to have to disagree with you.

You're getting fucking boring. So are your bitter tears. And you sound like you have a shitty and bitter life. Stop taking it out on the wii.

Andy787 said:

Not releasing $400 systems and not treating games like they're movies?

Top Bottom