• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii have taken over! From a reliable source..

Andy787 said:
You can buy one of those As-Seen-on-TV 101-games-in-one handhelds for like twenty dollars. But nobody does. Why? Because all of those 101 games are shit. Is the $50-150 less that you pay up front really more important than the drastically larger and higher quality library of the higher priced system? I'm not even getting into the technology argument.

And where is that innovation, exactly?

Using hyperbole to get your point across rarely works. Especially when it's based in subjectivity.

For the record, I believe the 360 has the better lineup and I play it more than my Wii. But my preference for one system over the other doesn't blind myself to the reality that a lot of people's views don't line up with that. It also doesn't make me question it, as I feel the Wii will have the better lineup for my tastes come this winter.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Andy787 said:
What is Nintendo's philosophy? If you say something other than a variation of "Procuring large sums of monetary notes," I am going to have to disagree with you.
giving smaller developers a chance, stopping the industry from becoming too hollywood, expanding the audience, ignoring hd, the wii-mote, and free (but shitty i admit) online service.

but they have their problems too.

Andy787 said:
You can buy one of those As-Seen-on-TV 101-games-in-one handhelds for like twenty dollars. But nobody does. Why? Because all of those 101 games are shit. Is the $50-150 less that you pay up front really more important than the drastically larger and higher quality library of the higher priced system? I'm not even getting into the technology argument.

And where is that innovation, exactly?

Do you understand that not everyone finds 360's library as appealing as you do?

Do you understand that other things come into play than pure library? How about reliability?

Seriously, it's not mandatory for every sane person to own a 360. It's not PS2.

You're daft.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Using hyperbole to get your point across rarely works. Especially when it's based in subjectivity.

For the record, I believe the 360 has the better lineup and I play it more than my Wii. But my preference for one system over the other doesn't blind myself to the reality that a lot of people's views don't line up with that.

100% agreement.

-COOLIO- said:
giving smaller developers a chance, stopping the industry from becoming too hollywood, expanding the audience, ignoring hd, the wii-mote, and free (but shitty i admit) online service.

Yup. To applaud Nintendo's success this generation is not the same thing as believing they're infallible and the best at everything. They have a lot of work to do and I'm disappointed in some of their decisions, but they're doing better than anyone could have imagined. They may not be speaking directly to some gamers here, but their message seems to be resonating with the general public.

Andy787

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
I hate you all.

Andy787 said:
So why are we celebrating this? Doesn't the 360 offer a much higher quality and more diverse library of video games?

Uh.. don't we care about video games anymore? :( I mean, I kind of liked video games more than sales figures.

And yet here you are... in a thread about sales figures... talking about sales...

EDIT: And I do agree that the 360 has the better lineup. But the Wii has the one develop no one else has... Nintendo.

Miniboss1232 said:
And yet here you are... in a thread about sales figures... talking about sales...

No, he's talking about people talking about sales. I guess he doesn't feel like playing Bioshock or the Skate demo.

How do you guys think the holidays will play out? Will the 360 outsell the Wii with Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, supposedly more reliable hardware and a price drop?

Andy787

Banned
nightsremote.gif

Natsume

360 - 10,200,937 - 21 months = 486,000/month

PS3 - 4,145,106 - 9 months = 461,000/month

Wii - 10,361,287 - 9 months = 1,151,000/month

I like. Also this goes to show how the PS3 really isn't as down and out as many people will have you say. In July is actually outsold the 360 worldwide and it's very possible it could happen in August too.

KachoMakura said:
How do you guys think the holidays will play out? Will the 360 outsell the Wii with Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect and a price drop?

That's entirely up to Nintendo's supply issues. If they can't have a few million available in the Nov-Dec. period, Microsoft will outsell them. Of course, I'm talking about NA only. Worldwide, the 360 probably doesn't stand a chance...unless the Wii supply issue is worse than I expect.

mr stroke

Wii said:
Meh, who cares, if it didn't overtake the 360 this month, it'll do it next month.
???!!!!
And Nintendo will do this because of what??? do you think it is really possible for Wii to outsell 360 next month?...with Halo and the price drop, I would be supprised if the Wii out sells the 360 in Sept.

Andy787 said:

Your posts are a waste of time. Don't expect valid responses from me in the future.

mr stroke said:
???!!!!
And Nintendo will do this because of what??? do you think it is really possible for Wii to outsell 360 next month?...with Halo and the price drop, I would be supprised if the Wii out sells the 360 in Sept.

Uh, Wii will unquestionably outsell it worldwide.

And I really doubt 360 is breaking 350 or 400k units in the US before November.

Xisiqomelir

mr stroke said:
???!!!!

The next month we're getting is August. And it will be Wii > 360

mr stroke said:
???!!!!

Worldwide, Halo isn't going to do shit next month compared to what Nintendo's been selling.

Jirotrom

KachoMakura said:
How do you guys think the holidays will play out? Will the 360 outsell the Wii with Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect, supposedly more reliable hardware and a price drop?
seriously dude...your avvy is distracting.

AdmiralViscen said:
Your posts are a waste of time. Don't expect valid responses from me in the future.

There's a reason why is tag is "junior member", even if he's a member for a long time. :p

Hey, I was just joking. I don't want to see you banned. ;)

koam

Didn't a bunch of people bet bans that the wii wouldn't outsell the 360 worldwide by dec 31 last week? :lol

donny2112

Wii said:
Meh, who cares, if it didn't overtake the 360 this month, it'll do it next month.

Exactly. The precise date in August may be in question, but with the increased Wii shipments to Europe and Australia, Wii taking the lead sometime in August is pretty much definite.

Xisiqomelir

koam said:
Didn't a bunch of people bet bans that the wii wouldn't outsell the 360 worldwide by dec 31 last week? :lol

I'm in on that (on the Wii side), but I was under the impression that it was higher LTD at the end of the year.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
*shrugs*
This thread is a bit too negative for my tastes. It should be a happy time but nope.

I hope you never, ever, ever get banned. I'm barely able to hold back the tears resulting from Bjork's departure. :(

What? What about "ignoring HD" is beneficial for the consumer? >_> Preventing the industry from becoming too Hollywood? What do you even mean by that? By inadvertently promoting obscene amounts of PS2 ports/poor efforts in relatation to Wii's graphical capabilities?

Forgotten Ancient said:
I hope you never, ever, ever get banned. I'm barely able to hold back the tears resulting from Bjork's departure. :(

I plan on getting banned at least a few times a year until the PS3 starts kicking some ass.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I plan on getting banned at least a few times a year until the PS3 starts kicking some ass.

Take it back. Please take it back. Wait a minute...the PS3 destroyed the GBA this month. So, it's kicking some ass. Just probably not the ass you're hoping for. :(

koam

Xisiqomelir said:
I'm in on that (on the Wii side), but I was under the impression that it was higher LTD at the end of the year.

So those people think that the 360 will make a comeback before dec 31? The Wii is essentially selling 3 times more a month at the moment.

koam said:
So those people think that the 360 will make a comeback before dec 31? The Wii is essentially selling 3 times more a month at the moment.

It should be a lot closer over the next couple of months. I don't think it'll outsell the Wii in Aug-Oct, but it could pull off a Nov-Jan victory if Nintendo can't get supply out there.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Andy787 said:
So why are we celebrating this? Doesn't the 360 offer a much higher quality and more diverse library of video games?

Uh.. don't we care about video games anymore? :( I mean, I kind of liked video games more than sales figures.

"Higher quality" and "more diverse" will appear on the system the best games are on. Better sales generally translates to more support from all segments of the development community, and thus it should also translate to more good games (as well as lousy ones, but that's the plight of the market leader.)

If trends continue, I don't think you can expect to see the 360 getting the "better" games in the future, provided folks start jumping ship for the Wii train.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
bigmakstudios said:
What? What about "ignoring HD" is beneficial for the consumer? >_> Preventing the industry from becoming too Hollywood? What do you even mean by that? By inadvertently promoting obscene amounts of PS2 ports/poor efforts in relatation to Wii's graphical capabilities?
ignoring hd: personally i feel the whole hd hype kinda ruins the fun. even though its not reaaaaally a big deal to play games in hd. its constantly hyped to the point we're i feel i shouldnt bother buying a 360 yet since its part of the "HD generation", as if HD is crucial to the experience.

too hollywood: i mean games arnt all 100% mega blockbuster/0 innovation affairs on the wii, and never have to be. it's not quite like that on the 360 or ps3 but its heading in that direction imo.

Victrix

*beard*
For some strange reason this makes me happy, and I can't even explain why

I have truly assimilated sales-age into my blood

But seriously, 2x consoles at 10m+ already? Cool. I imagine pubs/devs scrambling to divert resources to the Wii are less amused, but that just means we may see more cool games a year or two down the line.

apujanata

reilo said:
Question: Why not just buy a Gamecube then if it's all about your gaming budget? Just saying.

Well, I do have 2 GCN (which are unused now because of Wii), 2 PS2, 2 Wii, 3 GBA (also unused now because of DS), 3 DS. Since I already have GCN, your question is not really applicable to me.

FYI, I also have a non-working wife, 3 children, who are eating into my "gaming dollar". Oh, and my book collection (all harry potter in hard cover etc).

-COOLIO- said:
ignoring hd: personally i feel the whole hd hype kinda ruins the fun. even though its not reaaaaally a big deal to play games in hd. its constantly hyped to the point we're i feel i shouldnt bother buying a 360 yet since its part of the "HD generation", as if HD is crucial to the experience.

too hollywood: i mean games arnt all 100% mega blockbuster/0 innovation affairs on the wii, and never have to be. it's not quite like that on the 360 or ps3 but its heading in that direction imo.
That's weird. The 1st paragraph is the main reason i haven't bought any HD consoles. I can't afford an HDTV and I feel like i need one to play HD platforms.

apujanata

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I tried to picture Bioshock on the Wii and all I got was this sensation that felt like a thin wire was being fed into my eyeballs.

Okay maybe it wouldn't be that bad. But somehow I doubt my pants would be moist like chocolate pudding for the entirety of the game if I played it on the Wii.

shouldn't you be banned, since you lost the bet against Oblivion (since PS3 does not sell >200K in July 07) ?

Xisiqomelir

titiklabingapat said:
That's weird. The 1st paragraph is the main reason i haven't bought any HD consoles. I can't afford an HDTV and I feel like i need one to play HD platforms.

I waited till moving-out month to get my PS3 for exactly that reason. I've been taking it and playing it on a friend's HDTV in these last few weeks till I move out, start my new job and get my own HDTV, and coming back to my own house and playing on the SD is like night and day.

Zeed

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Speaking of which "channels" do I have to go through to get my account put on the line? For next month's NPDs I'm willing to take a one month ban if the PS3 sells less than 200,000 units.
OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
KachoMakura said:
(the ps3) offers features out of the box that none of their competitors can claim. BluRay, HDD, motion control, Wi-Fi, Free Online, Bluetooth, Web browser, Linux, etc are all offered out of the box.

minus273 said:
huh? are you saying wii does not have motion control, wi-fi, free online, bluetooth and a web browser?

Dude the Wii isn't even in the same galaxy as the PS3 on a technology level. Please stop.

I believe his point was that you made the erroneous claim that the PS3 offers features out of the box that "none of their competitors can claim".

The Wii, as mentioned by our dear friend minus273, offers motion control, WiFi, and free online. For most of its time on the shelves so far, it also offered a free web browser. If you revise your list to state "BluRay, HDD, Bluetooth, Linux", you might be more correct... although I must confess that I'm not sure the stock PS3 comes with Linux, while most 360s do come with hard drives.

It's not a question of whether the PS3 is more technologically advanced... it's that your claim is patently incorrect.

Jokeropia

Andy787 said:
Believe me, I fully realize the economics of the industry. I just don't see why everyone, as gamers, are cheerleading the Wii on, when it currently offers such a dismal library of quality games. Yes, the big three will be welcome additions, but even with them, the 360 is still so far and away ahead in terms of actual quality games. Shouldn't it be the one receiving the constant chearleading by gamers? Or do we just care more about bullshit industry drama now?
So what you're saying is that because you don't like Wii, you cannot understand why anyone else likes it. Not too bright, are we?

I have both 360 and Wii and IMO the latter has the best lineup.

Bowen_B

Banned
Andy787 said:
Man, you got me. :( Are my tears delicious? :(
I'm with you on this issue.

The 360 is like a home cooked meal: Not perfect but good quality and what you love.
The Wii is like a McDonalds meal: Cheap, low quality trash for the masses.

Top Bottom