• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RED ASH Kickstarter crashes n burns (Comcept/Inafune/Hyde making Mega Man Legends 3)

amnesia

RED ASH is going to get killed because it's an awful kickstarter.

.... (hopefully it's just a coincidence that this kickstarter ends before MN9 is released, like they're trying to secure funds now before a potential backlash).

Excellent post. I'm almost 100% sure it's not a coincidence. MN9 looks really, really bad.

I feel like MN9's reaction with players is going to come down to how much people are willing to accept the dash into enemies mechanic and more speed run/time attack nature of the game. If you liked or think Azure Strike Gunvolt is a good game you'll probably like MN9.

Newboi

I want to just jump in and fund this game, but the MN9 beta left a semi-bad taste in my mouth. I was also severally underwhelmed by the final look of the game. I wasn't expecting 2d sprites or anything, but I at least wanted decent cell shading and art. It looks more like a indy Unity game though. Hopefully the final game will pull me in more.

Regardless, I'm going to hold off funding this for now unless they release some WIP material that excites me.

rhandino

Banned

The first problem was the time of its reveal. This weekend is quite possibly the worst time ever to attempt to generate hype because everyone, including the people in the media, is on vacation. There's also Anime Expo going on now, and SDCC next week. These are taking up the attention of the typical sites that would pick up on this. Bloodstained, Shenmue III and Yooka-Laylee are still fresh on people's minds, too. This would have been better off being revealed in August, or perhaps after Mighty No. 9's release (hopefully it's just a coincidence that this kickstarter ends before MN9 is released, like they're trying to secure funds now before a potential backlash).

The second problem is the two kickstarters. What the hell was Inafune thinking? A kickstarter for a 5 minute anime of an intellectual property that doesn't even exist yet? Literally no one on the face of the planet wants a RED ASH anime and kickstarting one at the same time as the game is just cannibalizing funds raised. I think it's a disturbing testament to Inafune's ego that he created two kickstarters at once, and it's why I hope RED ASH fails on both fronts. He needs some time to reflect on what makes a kickstarter work.

The third problem is the fact that the game isn't even a game, it's a prologue to a game Inafune wants to make eventually. So what are we even funding? What is the scope of the thing we're funding? How many hours of gameplay, 2? There is also startlingly little information revealed about the game, which doesn't work because they're begging people for funds to make something we don't know about. I've seen teasers for games in actual development with more information.

The fourth problem is the assumption that this is going to break 2 million or whatever to get the features people actually care about. You can't make a kickstarter and automatically expect it to do better than its primary goal, unless you have the stage at Sony's E3 conference. You have to give us some semblance of a game if the kickstarter only barely meets its goal. It shouldn't be a stripped down version of a game just because you didn't get excessive amounts of money to mishandle.

The fifth problem is that this game has very little in common with Mega Man Legends 3 besides the word "Legend" in its title and perhaps the gameplay, if we actually were able to see what the gameplay is going to be like. All they've shown us in concept art, and they expect people to back thousands of dollars.

In general it seems like Comcept is just taking Kickstarter for granted in order to pay its dev fees. MN9 is multiplatform, and it should make enough money to fund the 800k they need for this minigame or whatever it even is.
What kind of hot scalding Jazmin Chai! You really really nailed most of the problems I have with this.

I can totally see somewhere a CAPCOM executive twisting the performance of this KS and finding validation about what they did to MML3. Mess.

Crocodile

If Bloodstained managed to have PC/Mac/Linux and two console versions ready from the get-go (all three with physical versions!) I don't see how Red Ash couldn't pull it off as well. Especially after coming from MN9 which IS getting physical copies out to retailers!

In my mind that should be a priority. It'll do wonders to your KS from the start and will make you earn way more than the cost of porting the game. Just look at Shenmue 3's KS with only one console version how far it's gone. And it's only getting longer legs since the physical PS4 version was announced!

The more I think about it the more I realize just how well managed the Bloodstained KS was handled. Those guys set the bar high for everyone else and now they're struggling to keep up.

Don't forget Bloodstained had publisher backing while this does not. I doubt BS could have afforded to make physical copies without that publisher money as an example.

Well I haven't pledged because;

-This isn't Mega Man Legend 3,

-Not coming on console of my choice,

-Inafune hasn't delivered on his last Kickstarter project yet,

-Got burned with how Mighty No 9 was handled,

-I am currently on a budget so I can't afford to pledge on any kickstarter project.

If the only reason you liked Mega Man Legends was because of the IP or the story than yeah, that makes sense. If you liked it primarily for any other reason, this is probably as close as you're ever going to get. All the other reasons are mostly fair though.

The first problem was the time of its reveal. This weekend is quite possibly the worst time ever to attempt to generate hype because everyone, including the people in the media, is on vacation. There's also Anime Expo going on now, and SDCC next week. These are taking up the attention of the typical sites that would pick up on this. Bloodstained, Shenmue III and Yooka-Laylee are still fresh on people's minds, too. This would have been better off being revealed in August, or perhaps after Mighty No. 9's release (hopefully it's just a coincidence that this kickstarter ends before MN9 is released, like they're trying to secure funds now before a potential backlash).

The second problem is the two kickstarters. What the hell was Inafune thinking? A kickstarter for a 5 minute anime of an intellectual property that doesn't even exist yet? Literally no one on the face of the planet wants a RED ASH anime and kickstarting one at the same time as the game is just cannibalizing funds raised. I think it's a disturbing testament to Inafune's ego that he created two kickstarters at once, and it's why I hope RED ASH fails on both fronts. He needs some time to reflect on what makes a kickstarter work.

The third problem is the fact that the game isn't even a game, it's a prologue to a game Inafune wants to make eventually. So what are we even funding? What is the scope of the thing we're funding? How many hours of gameplay, 2? There is also startlingly little information revealed about the game, which doesn't work because they're begging people for funds to make something we don't know about. I've seen teasers for games in actual development with more information.

The fourth problem is the assumption that this is going to break 2 million or whatever to get the features people actually care about. You can't make a kickstarter and automatically expect it to do better than its primary goal, unless you have the stage at Sony's E3 conference. You have to give us some semblance of a game if the kickstarter only barely meets its goal. It shouldn't be a stripped down version of a game just because you didn't get excessive amounts of money to mishandle.

The fifth problem is that this game has very little in common with Mega Man Legends 3 besides the word "Legend" in its title and perhaps the gameplay, if we actually were able to see what the gameplay is going to be like. All they've shown us in concept art, and they expect people to back thousands of dollars.

In general it seems like Comcept is just taking Kickstarter for granted in order to pay its dev fees. MN9 is multiplatform, and it should make enough money to fund the 800k they need for this minigame or whatever it even is.

A) Announcing kickstarters at Expos is great because a lot of eyes tend to be one them. I figure though that this got announced at Anime Expo because of the associated anime project - most eyes on Anime Expo care more about anime than video games I'd assume. The whole "July 4th weekend" though is something they should have considered and it looks like they didn't.

B) Considering that Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained didn't interfere with each other, I didn't think launching near a big Kickstater is automatically a problem. Also, again, Kickstater launches are planned months in advance and trying to move things around can be very difficult (to say nothing of the fact that you could easily run afoul of another big Kickstater). If you think Shenmue 3, etc. is causing KS fatigue, then that's just bad luck on Inafune's part, not a mistake out right.

C) Comcept is a production management company, not a developer or a publisher. The other similar companies I can think of are Mistwalker (run by the Gooch) and Sora (run by Sakurai). In every case, all their games have a publisher behind them - they aren't self funding games and I think it likely has to do with the fact that those sorts of companies may not have the capital to fund "bigger" titles by themselves. Remember, any revenue that Mighty No. 9 generates gets split up by a ton of different companies. Deep Silver and Inticreates clearly have to get their cut and they aren't involved with this project. Now it would have been nice if a prototype could have been put together but I don't know Comcept's financials (nor do you) so I have no idea if this is a case in which they straight up couldn't or they just decided not to.

Overall I think not backing this because you want to see some gameplay, aren't sure of the scope, are tapped out due to other expenses, etc. are all fair. I just think of the points you mention, some are bad luck, some are just circumstances they really couldn't overcome and then some are actual mistakes.

junpei

What kind of hot scalding Jazmin Chai! You really really nailed most of the problems I have with this.

I can totally see somewhere a CAPCOM executive twisting the performance of this KS and finding validation about what they did to MML3. Mess.
It is already happening in this thread with gaffers saying that the failure of this kickstarter justify CAPCOM actions. Only a matter of time before the executives at CAPCOM pat themselves on the back for that blunder .

TalonJH

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Inafune, take my fucking money. I would prefer a console release but whatever. Just do it, I need more MegaMan Legends.

On another note: At this point they should just give him MegaMan. Both this and Mighty No. 9 have the art style of their predecessors.

junpei

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! Inafune, take my fucking money. I would prefer a console release but whatever. Just do it, I need more MegaMan Legends.

On another note: At this point they should just give him MegaMan. Both this and Mighty No. 9 have the art style of their predecessors.
Capcom has no cule what to do with megaman. They should sell him to another company so they can invest that money into other products. Right now megaman needs to show that it work in a post platformers gaming landscape and they cancelled the best game to showcase that . nostalgia alone won't work and CAPCOM knows it . I would much rather have a Kickstarter to get the rights to megaman .

SkyOdin

Honestly, I really disagree that Mega Man should go to Inafune. On the contrary, I think it deserves to find its legs away from Inafune's shadow. I honestly think the brand is too heavily associated with a guy whose main role in it has always been as a producer/businessman rather than an actual game designer. The guy deserves credit for being a big supporter and advocate for the franchise, but he didn't actually make the games.

Regiruler

Wayforward or Yacht Club Games, that's where Mega Man should go.
Yacht Club broke away because they wanted to work on new IPs more.

That said they're big enough MM nerds that they'd probably accept, but then the issue arises of "will capcom give such a legendary IP to an indie studio with only one game under their belt as an original team?"

sn00zer

Couldnt have said it better. Really fucking unbelievable all they have is some very rough storyboards for an in game cinematic and are expecting hundreds of thousands for a rough idea of a game.

TimmiT

The impressions for it have all been pretty positive. It's not like Inti Creates makes bad games.
Has been the opposite for me. People I know who've played the beta have generally been negative. Having played it myself: I liked it at first, but got frustrated as I continued playing. It focuses far too much on a combo mechanic that doesn't work well, and the level design is more frustrating than fun.

I think that it has a decent concept, but it really isn't executed well enough. It plays more like a mediocre Azure Striker Gunvolt-like game than a spiritual successor to Mega Man.

kuroshiki

Just saw the kickstarter promotion video and I still have no idea what this is about.

Description is even more vague. Free roaming anime world? I mean are they trying to be open world action rpg or something?

I'm just suprised some ppl want to back this project. Also I think inafune is taking kickstarter as granted at this point.

hamchan

from what I see in this thread, they won't back it because it's not being released for consoles. Jesus Christ is this game seriously going to get killed, likely forever now, because of Only PC?

Well yeah. The audience is on consoles. If they're waiting to add console versions as stretch goals past $2 million then they've failed.

Sakura

I'd be willing to back an actual Mega Man Legends 3, but not this. Hopefully it's a fun game for those who do back it.

Onemic

I feel like this KS either wont get funded or will barely meet its required goal. The film KS straight up wont get funded.

Sakura

Well MML3 is just never going to happen sadly.

Yea you are likely right. But I'm interested in MML because I want to see the story continue, I want to see more of the characters I liked, etc. MML is one of my favourite series of all time. Not really interested in a clone.

kuroshiki

Yea you are likely right. But I'm interested in MML because I want to see the story continue, I want to see more of the characters I liked, etc. MML is one of my favourite series of all time. Not really interested in a clone.

I'm not even sure if this is clone.

Can anyone explain to me what this game is about?

I dunno. I'd be really happy to have more games that played just like Legends, because I really like the gameplay of it. Plus, we're never getting another Legends game

It's a third-person shooter like Legends with a big open world to explore, and a city reconstruction mechanic. You play as a bracer or delver or whatever the word was, someone who enters ruins and raids them for money, which then goes to upgrades to your weapons and other kinds of upgrades at Call's shop. There's more story they're not talking about, but it's obvious they've teased a Tron Bonne type of character.

wwm0nkey

Well I really like the Legends style of play so I am not looking at this as a continuation but rather a reboot / successor.

I'm only backing $25 right now and depending on how the rest of the campaign goes I will either increase that or drop it. But for now I'll stick to $25.

Sakura

The kickstarter page makes it clear this is supposed to be Legends. From the name of the game, gameplay style, stuff like "However, their livelihoods are supported by the brave fools who hunt the dangerous ruins and wastelands for Lost Technology. These people are known simply as Delvers", etc.

kuroshiki

I dunno. I'd be really happy to have more games that played just like Legends, because I really like the gameplay of it. Plus, we're never getting another Legends game

It's a third-person shooter like Legends with a big open world to explore, and a city reconstruction mechanic. You play as a bracer, someone who enters ruins and raids them for money, which then goes to upgrades to your weapons and other kinds of upgrades at Call's shop. There's more story they're not talking about, but it's obvious they've teased a Tron Bonne type of character.

I have no idea how they are going to pull off if description is true. Comcept's track record is not exactly stellar.

I have no idea how they are going to pull of if description is true. Comcept's track record is not exactly stellar.

Conceptually, the proof of concept already exist. It's called MM Legends 2/Rockman Dash 2.

The onus is on whether or not the developer(Hyde) can successfully recreate that for a new generation.

Busaiku

I feel like this KS either wont get funded or will barely meet its required goal. The film KS straight up wont get funded.
If they follow usual Kickstarter trends (don't look at the trending figure on Kicktraq), they should both at least meet the initial goals.
Kickstarters usually make around 30% on the first few days, and another 30% on the last few days. Following this, they should both pass the initial hurdle, but not necessarily make it to any of the stretch goals.

However, as I've repeatedly said, it is abundantly clear that the initial funding goals are not what Comcept were aiming for/expecting.
Hitting those will merely get us a prologue and a 5 minute short. Yes, that's what they set, but I don't think they didn't expect to meet all their goals similar to Mighty No. 9.
They greatly overestimated their own worth and the amount of good will they would receive.
We'll get products, but very few would be pleased with those results.

This is barring major changes to the campaign, similar to how Shenmue III pffering physical PS4 copies in the middle of the campaign greatly increased the amount of funds and average pledge. Offering the physical games on consoles are also what kept the average so high for Bloodstained, as this is usually rate for Kickstarter.

Wonder how things would've been instead if he'd managed to wrangle a deal with Capcom to try to get the actual MMLegends3 kickstarted.

They really should have waited, gotten a prototype together to have something to show with gameplay, and then launched the campaign in September or October.

Wonder how things would've been instead if he'd managed to wrangle a deal with Capcom to try to get the actual MMLegends3 kickstarted.

Not gonna happen, Capcom will never agree.

RED ASH ‏@RedAshGame 1h1 hour ago

We understand that fans want to see the ports happen earlier, but it is important to point out that this is a story-focused game.

It wouldn't be fair to anybody (including the creators!) to sacrifice some of the game content to prioritize porting.

I really struggle to understand this, so they rather use money to "improve or expand" the story than making it available to more people and with this making the chances of the KS campaign to be more successful?.

zeopower6

I think both should get funded eventually with how much time is left in their campaigns.

Stretch goals though... probably not happening. The 'final' 2.4 million dollar goal of a feature length version of the anime KS is a little too much >_>~

catmario

They got $233,556 currently. Well... It might be able to reach to goal before D-Day, but The pace is slower than I thought.

Krejlooc

Banned
They got $233,556 currently. Well... It might be able to reach to goal before D-Day, but The pace is slower than I thought.

Someone hit the nail on the head earlier in this topic - people want Megaman Legends 3, because Legends 2 ended on a cliff hanger. They don't want a spiritual successor, they want resolution to the plot.

Yu Suzuki probably wouldn't have been nearly as successful kickstarting a spiritual successor to Shenmue, but even that would have had more success than this is having because Shenmue at least does things no other games do. Megaman Legends, as fun and great as they were, aren't really special anymore without the Megaman license. And Inafune is no Yu Suzuki.

I bet this will still get funded, but barely.

Sakura

I think both should get funded eventually with how much time is left in their campaigns.

Stretch goals though... probably not happening. The 'final' 2.4 million dollar goal of a feature length version of the anime KS is a little too much >_>~

The anime goals don't make any sense to me.
There have been numerous articles in the past saying an episode of anime costs anywhere from 100~300k to make. That's like 20~ minutes of animation. Yet they want 650k for just a total of 20 minutes of animation? 2.35 million for just 75 minutes!? Must be some super high budget anime they plan to do, and they are getting 100% of the funding for it from KS. I can't see how they thought this one was a good idea.

Krejlooc

Banned
There have been numerous articles in the past saying an episode of anime costs anywhere from 100~300k to make. That's like 20~ minutes of animation. Yet they want 650k for just a total of 20 minutes of animation? 2.35 million for just 75 minutes!? Must be some super high budget anime they plan to do, and they are getting 100% of the funding for it from KS. I can't see how they thought this one was a good idea.

stretch goals aren't solely for the intended target reward. That's not how kickstarters works.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'm aware. But the goals are still way too high for what it is, and as such they will be lucky to hit the first.

You're aware? Your entire last post makes no sense in that context, then, since you're asking why 20 minutes of animation costs like $650k. It doesn't. The $650k they'd raise from the stretch goal doesn't just cover the anime...

Sakura

You're aware? Your entire last post makes no sense in that context, then, since you're asking why 20 minutes of animation costs like $650k. It doesn't. The $650k they'd raise from the stretch goal doesn't just cover the anime...

I'm aware because it says right on the Kickstarter page how much is going to the anime budget...
I'm saying with that all in consideration, 650k is still too much. It's not going to happen. 47% of 650k is still over 300k, they should be able to get a budget for 20 minutes of animation for half that.

duckroll

Please stop talking garbage when you have no idea what you're talking about. An episode of anime might cost 300k or less if you're making 12-26 episodes. Working on a series is not the same as working on a single short. Especially when you take into consideration pre-production. For a long form series you can take into account a lot of cost savings like reused footage, a longer contract for the director, etc.

The average cost for a 20-30 minute piece of animation from ground up in Japan if you're going to a decent quality is definitely closer to 400k. The budget provided for the Anime Mirai projects annually is 38 million yen for each short, which is usually about 25 minutes long. This is for what is considered training programs to stimulate the industry. The production cost for a 25 minute commercial OVA is usually even higher.

And all that is just for traditional animation. This Kickstarter is for a CG short. Good CG animation will cost even more.

Crocodile

I'm aware because it says right on the Kickstarter page how much is going to the anime budget...
I'm saying with that all in consideration, 650k is still too much. It's not going to happen. 47% of 650k is still over 300k, they should be able to get a budget for 20 minutes of animation for half that.

A lot of TV anime straight up don't have good animation, they tend to be made on the cheap or with little time to spare. As a comparison point, one episode of Futurama could often cost $1 million dollars to make - animation costs are not constant, they are variable. If we are talking about high quality 3D CGI, then I can easily see costs being higher. Please don't pretend you have any idea how much it actually costs to make anime, especially when this is clearly aiming to be above standard TV anime quality.

...Eh, it all feels a bit dirty. They could have at least waited until MN9 came out, then at least people wouldn't be annoyed that the game they paid for isn't in their hands before Inafune wants more money again.

Honestly, I think their best bet would have been to work with Capcom on Kickstarting Mega Man Legends 3. I could see that being a passion project for Inafune, and I don't think people would be as upset since there's absolutely a point to the Kickstarter besides business.

Top Bottom