• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Wrath Of Khan for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

We shouldn't let you out of the Football thread Wilbz with opinions like this.

I think The Undiscovered Country is better. The Undiscovered Country is about soldiers on both sides being unable to bring themselves to stop the hating and fighting they have grown used to even when peace is within reach.

Yeah TUC is probably my favourite overall.

Yeah, and Kirk knew it at the time.

Can we all agree the worst original Trek movie is the one where they fly to the center of the universe and meet God?

V'Ger! The first movie.

I actually saw it in theaters when it came out. It was panned even back then. Gene Roddenberry was basically booted from his own franchise after that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I watched Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock back to back the other day. Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. Very enjoyable.

What I really miss on new movies is the lack of pacing. Those old movies had lovely pacing. Some lovely slow warm scenes that built characters. Some great unhurried dialogue. It made the action bits that much better. I miss the old school of movie making.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
V'Ger! The first movie.

I actually saw it in theaters when it came out. It was panned even back then. Gene Roddenberry was basically booted from his own franchise after that.

V'Ger was at least a mildly interesting concept, it just had terrible execution in almost every respect

At least in Star Trek V we get to see Spock take down a horse.

And it gave us the "What does God need with a starship" confrontation. Not to mention the second best Klingon adversary in the movies. Second only to General motherfucking Chang.

It was interesting, but even outdated for its time (1979). It was rooted in the psycho-psychedelic 1960s TV show style and it was already showing its age. Khan freshened that up a bit.

And Khan gave them better uniforms. The ones from TMP were just awful.

Star Trek V had the campfire scene, which is one of my favourite scenes in all of trek.

For that alone it's better then The Motion Picture

Jacob

I haven't seen STID yet, but I watched Wrath of Khan a few years ago. I had been bored out of my mind by watching the first movie without having seen The Original Series, but I heard so many people singing the praises of Wrath of Khan that I figured if anything would salvage my interest in the Star Trek franchise, it would be this movie. Well ... I found it only slightly more interesting than the first movie, and as has been mentioned a total cheesefest. I was pretty young and undiscerning when I saw it and I still didn't care for the film.

I gave up on the ST film series after that until the reboot, which I enjoyed but I recognize owed far more to Star Wars than to classic Trek.

ToxicAdam

Any movie that has a great villain is going to be overrated to some degree (ie. Superman II). It was one of the few ST movies that got all the elements right. Had the right balance of action, drama and coherent storyline.

If you think about it, it's one of the reasons why so many sci-fi movies fail.

Any movie that has a great villain is going to be overrated to some degree (ie. Superman II). It was one of the few ST movies that got all the elements right. Had the right balance of action, drama and storyline.

If you think about it, it's one of the reasons why so many sci-fi movies fail.

Pretty much. Until the Borg showed up, Khan was basically the only recognizable/memorable uber villain in the ST universe.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The thing about Wrath of Khan is that while it suffers from various stylistic choices signature of the 80s, and its production is at times too small for the scope it goes for, the core story logic and construction are what people like so much.

And I think it is, objectively, a very well conceived story regardless of how well it is executed. As others have said, it's unusual and bold to never have the hero and villain meet face to face. The story weaves in themes of aging and death organically. And a few other good points.

And I think the point of the original Khan isn't so much that he's super-intelligent. He's not really. He'll seem dumb and easily manipulated if you go into it expecting that. It's more that Khan is supremely ruthless and can be genuinely cunning when he isn't allowing his passion to undermine him. That's kind of his achilles heel as a villain. His own first mate rationally advises that Khan take his people and flee in the USS Reliant. Khan, for all his charisma and drive, is too egotistical. He essentially sets himself up to fail because he's not prepared to fight Kirk on Kirk's terms: as a modern starship captain with combat experience.

But his ruthless nature does end up leaving Kirk in a no-win situation. Even when defeated Khan wins, which is what nobody else ever accomplished against Kirk.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I like how the space battles in WoT are more measured and deliberate. Every shot means something and is deliberately aimed to cripple their foe. This makes them very tense.

Compare that to JJ's MILLION OF LAZORSSSS EVERYWHERE PEW PEW PEW BOOM PEW and it's easy to see why the WoT is better.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ah, you kids and your flash/bang movies! WoK is great because it shows starSHIPS and a much more interesting style of combat. JJ just has the ships bump noses and pound on each other, with WoK we had this ingenious cat and mouse hunt. Kirk beats Khan because he (and Spock) correctly deduce Khans mental weakness and inexperience with space combat and exploit it masterfully. Even the "KHAN" scream was necessary to sell kirks rage at supposedly being stranded in the moon. If he just shrugged it off then Khan would have been suspicious. Kirk also wanted Khan to meet him face to face and he was denied that. The STiD scream was fine, but just there because it was in WOK, it wasn't earned though. In fact, I don't feel like reboot Kirk and crew have earned anything, they are still sponging off old Spock.

Ah, you kids and your flash/bang movies! WoK is great because it shows starSHIPS and a much more interesting style of combat. JJ just has the ships bump noses and pound on each other, with WoK we had this ingenious cat and mouse hunt. Kirk beats Khan because he (and Spock) correctly deduce Khans mental weakness and inexperience with space combat and exploit it masterfully. Even the "KHAN" scream was necessary to sell kirks rage at supposedly being stranded in the moon. If he just shrugged it off then Khan would have been suspicious. Kirk also wanted Khan to meet him face to face and he was denied that. The STiD scream was fine, but just there because it was in WOK, it wasn't earned though. In fact, I don't feel like reboot Kirk and crew have earned anything, they are still sponging off old Spock.

I think "the kids" like Khan and not the new one. At least on GAF.

Minamu

I never understood its value either but I hadn't seen the original episode Khan is from so I didn't have the nostalgia thing going on (and still don't) because I hadn't seen all of the TV show when I saw any of the movies actually. So I never really liked the movie either but that's my own fault.

.la1n

I think JJ's Star Trek movies are pretty garbage but I don't base that on some preconceived notion that the previous Star Trek movies were some pinnacle of film making.

Ah, you kids and your flash/bang movies! WoK is great because it shows starSHIPS and a much more interesting style of combat. JJ just has the ships bump noses and pound on each other, with WoK we had this ingenious cat and mouse hunt. Kirk beats Khan because he (and Spock) correctly deduce Khans mental weakness and inexperience with space combat and exploit it masterfully. Even the "KHAN" scream was necessary to sell kirks rage at supposedly being stranded in the moon. If he just shrugged it off then Khan would have been suspicious. Kirk also wanted Khan to meet him face to face and he was denied that. The STiD
scream was fine, but just there because it was in WOK
, it wasn't earned though. In fact, I don't feel like reboot Kirk and crew have earned anything, they are still sponging off old Spock.

You didn't just spoil that there is a
KHAN scream
in Into Darkness, did you? Haven't seen it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I think The Undiscovered Country is better. The Undiscovered Country is about soldiers on both sides being unable to bring themselves to stop the hating and fighting they have grown used to even when peace is within reach.

The reason why The Undiscovered Country works so godamn well is in the fundamental of the very essence that is Star Trek: the Cold War.

Science fiction is usually at its best when it is deconstructing current events and highlighting the stupidity of our current day actions and Star Trek was an absolute monster in tearing Cold War-era USA to pieces both in its characters (Russian and Japanese bridge officers not to mention a black female who wasn't a maid or a stereotype) and in its episodes (A Private Little War, The Omega Glory, A Taste of Armageddon, The Doomsday Machine, etc) so when the Cold War ended... what happened to Star Trek?

The Undiscovered Country happened. The wall came down in space. It was the perfect closure for the "Original Series" era crew and the Cold War motifs that serviced them so well. In doing so it achieved the rarity of being a brilliant movie, a brilliant final episode and a well-deserved final act of the collision of fiction and reality.

As a decrepit old man I naturally prefer WoK. I could probably draw up a laundry list of reasons as to why, but I think at its core it boils down to a slower, more measured pace that allows each scene to take its time (within reason).

Won

WoK is still an amazing movie. Everything in there is so well executed.

TUC is still great too.

Nicholas Meyer probably was the best thing that ever happened to Star Trek.

The reason why The Undiscovered Country works so godamn well is in the fundamental of the very essence that is Star Trek: the Cold War.

Science fiction is usually at its best when it is deconstructing current events and highlighting the stupidity of our current day actions and Star Trek was an absolute monster in tearing Cold War-era USA to pieces both in its characters (Russian and Japanese bridge officers not to mention a black female who wasn't a maid or a stereotype) and in its episodes (A Private Little War, The Omega Glory, A Taste of Armageddon, The Doomsday Machine, etc) so when the Cold War ended... what happened to Star Trek?

The Undiscovered Country happened. The wall came down in space. It was the perfect closure for the "Original Series" era crew and the Cold War motifs that serviced them so well. In doing so it achieved the rarity of being a brilliant movie, a brilliant final episode and a well-deserved final act of the collision of fiction and reality.

You've read that Whoopi Goldberg quote too, huh?

BTW, I've never seen that one... but your comments have convinced me to watch it.

Saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I don't understand why it's valued so highly at all. Spock dies, sure, but it didn't feel relevant to the plot really it just happened.
I enjoyed Into Darkness much more. I also enjoy most random TNG episodes more.

This. Your average TNG episode is better than any Trek movie.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Can we all agree the worst original Trek movie is the one where they fly to the center of the universe and meet God?

Do you mean William Shatner's Star Trek V: Where I, William Shatner, Take On God and Win?

On recent viewings (they've shown all the ST movies here a lot in preparation for Into Darkness) the entire movie is basically one big love letter to Kirk. The fact Shatner directed it... yeah.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's the Star Trek movie with the most memorable quotes.

Find me another with as many

Star Trek IV has double the memorable quotes of any of the others, and is also the best pre-Abrams Star Trek movie.

The fastest way to come to terms with the shortcomings of Wrath of Khan is to watch it with someone who has never seen it before and watch their face as they occasionally shoot you sidelong glances trying to figure out if you were serious when you said "this movie is great, you have to see it." If you didn't see it at the time it came out, it's a lost cause. It's from another era, and beyond the novelty of Khan and Kirk never meeting face-to-face, doesn't really have much of interest to offer.

Zips

Wrath of Khan is still my favourite Star Trek movie. I haven't seen STID though. Is it as riddled with plot holes as the 2009 movie was? The sheer number and size of them in that movie was really bothersome.

kharma45

Wrath of Khan is still my favourite Star Trek movie. I haven't seen STID though. Is it as riddled with plot holes as the 2009 movie was? The sheer number and size of them in that movie was really bothersome.

There are plot holes yes and if they annoyed your for the first JJ one they will for this one judging by how many in the spoiler thread are taking hissy fits over the movie.

Sqorgar

Banned
As a decrepit old man I naturally prefer WoK. I could probably draw up a laundry list of reasons as to why, but I think at its core it boils down to a slower, more measured pace that allows each scene to take its time (within reason).
They let that Kobayashi Maru scenario simmer for the entire movie, just in time to use it as the epic climax of the film. It's a defining Kirk moment and they let it build - make it mean something to the plot - rather than just throw it out there and move on like the new film.

Narag

Those secondary characters have nothing to do because Wrath of Khan (and for that matter, the original series in general) was much less of an ensemble piece than the new movies or Trek in general afterwards. The movie is essentially about Kirk coming to terms with mortality, and taking this captain who just zoomed across the galaxy being awesome, grounding him with family issues and bringing old mistakes back to haunt him.

I really appreciated this when I rewatched it a few weeks back. Felt like that's why I thought it held up so well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually I was about to make an LTTP for it but this thread might as well serve it.

And I must say, I actually like it. I do agree that this film contains elements that would make it a legit "watch" for non-Trekkie films because it's all well done. With that said, I like IV more because it's just all around entertaining, but the dramatic tone of II is something new for ST.

I still don't get what Spock was doing at the climax though. At least Into Darkness was better on that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom