• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.15: "Across The Sea" (You Can't Really Balance An Egg On The Equinox Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoomGyver

Rose, Bernard, Sun, Claire, and Jin are all bottom of the barrel actors.

"SOS"
WHERES MY BAAYYABEEEE?! CHARLIE!?
Have you seen Jin?!

etc.

Jak140

Blader5489 said:
So here's my list of things I want answered. Whether it be on the show, in the upcoming encyclopedia, or an off-hand remark in podcast or interview, I will not be completely satisfied without answers to these mysteries:

At this point I'll be happy if we just get a reasonable explanation for the purpose of the rules and the sideways timeline. With the way things have been going, I really don't see us getting a satisfying explanation for much else.

thekad

Banned
Shitty character =/= shitty actor

Malcolm David Kelley(S4&5) is easily the worst main actor of the show's six seasons. The fact that Solo thinks Davies was bad makes me distrust his reasoning on everything else. Dude carried the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 5 (which Solo hated of course).

I just rewatched it and you know what i fucking loved.

It had some flaws, for example i didnt much like the bit where Jacob drank the wine, but it was great.

Was it dissapointing? Sure, compared to what it could have been but for an origin story, it was really good

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
--The purpose of Jacob's mission to prove humanity is good

--The ghost in the cabin

--The purpose of the flashsideways

--More elaboration on Christian - Where the fuck is his body, in atleast one of these timelines

--Walt

--Illana's backstory

--Eloise Hawking's omniscience
These, +

How are the rules enforced. We know EM is the source of a lot of weird things on this show, but there needs to be a real person governing these rules. They're not black and white rules, they have grey areas that only a person could determine.

Where did the list of Candidates come from? Jacob didn't just think up 300 different names on his own over the course of thousands of years and get lucky when they started coming to the island. Why were these people chosen?

Wouldn't mind knowing:

What "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" means.

The fuck is the deal with having a little ghost Jacob and an adult ghost Jacob.

I'll think of some other stuff later, but that's all that comes to mind.

Blader

Drealmcc0y said:
No it isnt the whole island is a magic box, i remember Damon saying it once

So when Ben says, "somewhere on this island is a magic box," what he's really saying is, "somewhere on this island is the whole island"

?

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Ethan was pretty well cast in the first season. Whne he tried to act like he was a normal human being in the following seasons, it just couldn't work as well because....well, look at the guy. Dude is a creeper and nothing else.

fbvnzq.gif

Full Recovery said:

"SOS"
WHERES MY BAAYYABEEEE?! CHARLIE!?
Have you seen Jin?!

etc.

Jin is a bad actor?

Did you not see that motherfucker in the sub?

Solo

SpeedingUptoStop said:
That's bit lofty of a statement, bro. old Eloise Hawking in S5 was easily worse in the little time she had. And there are a couple others that aren't coming to mind atm that are unquestionably worse than Faraday, even by your "Faraday is shit" standards.

The whole family is fucking terrible. Bad actors, poorly written. The scene where Daniel is crying while watching TV is a candidate for the most painfully awful scene in the entire series.

Zeliard

YoungHav said:
I hated how Jacob pwned MIB. Could've made the fight more interesting. Jacob jerks off to his mom for 30yrs while MIB was living amongst people doing labor and using tools. Yet Jacob pwns him.

MIB is a science nerd.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Full Recovery said:

WHERES MY BAAYYABEEEE?! CHAHLIE!?

Fixed.

Blader5489 said:
So when Ben says, "somewhere on this island is a magic box," what he's really saying is, "somewhere on this island is the whole island"

?

It doesnt make sense when you say it like that, but the whole island is essentially a magic box. I think Damon said it in a podcast in like season 3

Aesius said:
The magic box is just a metaphor for the Others extensive influence and power, even off island.
1&2 answer themselves: Do you really want an humanity hating pillar of invincible smoke roaming around our world?

Jacob wants to prove him humanity is good so that he doesnt leave the island and if he does he doesnt kill everyone ( hes invincible remember? )

I have a feeling this wil end like lord of the rings, take the evil to where it was born, or maybe not even smokey can resist lava ( even more tlotr-like lol )..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Drealmcc0y said:
I just rewatched it and you know what i fucking loved.

It had some flaws, for example i didnt much like the bit where Jacob drank the wine, but it was great.

Was it dissapointing? Sure, compared to what it could have been but for an origin story, it was really good

Didn't you love it after the first time you watched it?

Solo

Arment said:
Hey I hope you're leaving Widmore out of this.

I am. Alan Dale is hamfisted, but so awesome. And Sonya Walger is good. Im specifically referring to the Hawkings. Daniel and Eloise.

Zeliard

Solo said:
The whole family is fucking terrible. Bad actors, poorly written. The scene where Daniel is crying while watching TV is a candidate for the most painfully awful scene in the entire series.

Really, you'd characterize Charles Widmore as bad acting? Alan Dale is terrific in that role. He, in fact, improves on the way his character is written.

Edit: that's right, bitch.

Plinko

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Wouldn't mind knowing:

What "What lies in the shadow of the statue?" means.

Wasn't that just the secret password to tell who was on the same side? I thought it referred to where Jacob lived.

thekad

Banned
Blader5489 said:

?

C'mon, Blader. This is one instance where Lindelcuse aren't clearly bullshitting us.

"Two days after I found out I had a fatal tumor on my spine, a spinal surgeon fell out of the sky."

Okay, the actress who plays Eloise does give Walt a run for his money.

SpeedingUptoStop

Zeliard said:
Really, you'd characterize Charles Widmore as bad acting? Alan Dale is terrific in that role. He, in fact, improves on the way his character is written.

Edit: that's right, bitch
:lol :lol :lol Better response than i could think of.

Solo said:
I am. Alan Dale is hamfisted, but so awesome. And Sonya Walger is good. Im specifically referring to the Hawkings. Daniel and Eloise.

How about the scene in the variable when faraday is talking to widmore and hes all crying and all dumb from losing his memory. My god I have to skip that every time i rewatch.

Blader

Drealmcc0y said:
It doesnt make sense when you say it like that, but the whole island is essentially a magic box. I think Damon said it in a podcast in like season 3

Then the whole thing never makes sense to begin with. Ben was never characterizing the island as a magic box, he characterized it as something (or maybe someone) on the island that could make anything they wanted appear.

SpeedingUptoStop

Plinko said:
Wasn't that just the secret password to tell who was on the same side? I thought it referred to where Jacob lived.
It's a secret password, sure, but what in the hell does it mean? This is probably gonna end up on the "We don't care to answer / put it in the encyclopedia" end of the spectrum, which is why I don't hold my breath for it.

Dead

well not really...yet
Uhh, Ben comes right out and says that the Magic Box was just a metaphor

Anthony Cooper was simply kidnapped and brought to the Island on the sub

Blader

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It's a secret password, sure, but what in the hell does it mean? This is probably gonna end up on the "We don't care to answer / put it in the encyclopedia" end of the spectrum, which is why I don't hold my breath for it.

I assumed the answer was Jacob, since that same ep also revealed Jacob lives in the statue.

SpeedingUptoStop

Blader5489 said:
Then the whole thing never makes sense to begin with. Ben was never characterizing the island as a magic box, he characterized it as something (or maybe someone) on the island that could make anything they wanted appear.
He also later characterized it as a lie, dude.

Blader5489 said:

You want a quote from the big man himself, i'll you get you a fucking quote

In the May 23, 2007 special "Lost: The Answers," producers Cuse and Lindelof commented on the nature of the magic box metaphor, stating that "the entire island is a magic box."

Edit: thats right bitch

Blader

Dead said:
Uhh, Ben comes right out and says that the Magic Box was just a metaphor

Anthony Cooper was simply kidnapped and brought to the Island on the sub

I know. That's my question.

The magic box is a metaphor for WHAT?

thekad

Banned
Blader5489 said:

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_box

Ben himself said it was a metaphor. It's a metaphor for the island.

The structure of his sentence is not really relevant in this case :lol

SpeedingUptoStop

Blader5489 said:
I assumed the answer was Jacob, since that same ep also revealed Jacob lives in the statue.
I don't mean to sound like an ass arguing semantics, but if their secret answer to their secret password is a person, that "who" is a much better word to use than "what".

Idea I had explaining Kate no longer being a candidate.

Okay so this is something we may or may not find out, if we do or don't I have a theory as to what it is and why.

Using the process of elimination I was able to deduce a very posible scenario. When lookin at the facts, candidates barring Clair have only been removed because of death. Some say it was her murderous past but thats what led her to the island so it's not that not to mention evryone else has killed someone at this point. Then look at sayid and Claire he was not removed after being "claimed" so it's not that. So then I figured well what could have been the catalyst to remove Claire? Then it hit me. Pregnancy!

Claire had a child on island, it's posible Kate got pregrant before they came back when she slept with Jack right before the flight. This can be challenged by sun but Im not convinced she was the Kwon candidate since it's jims last name inthe aly they're not married yet and only candidates were sent to 1977

Zeliard

Blader5489 said:
I know. That's my question.

The magic box is a metaphor for WHAT?

Does it matter? Ben has no clue about anything and lies a lot. It's clear the island as a whole is special, and that's what is significant.

gdt

I wonder if Jacob had like a wardrobe. Like a closet cave full of self made tweed sandals, those brown pants, and that white shirt.

Jack's gonna need something to wear in the finale.

Dead

well not really...yet
btw, saw this gif earlier of MIB falling in the water

I can't believe I never noticed it when watching The Candidate

2nrpjbn.jpg

Blader

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Okay, so I forgot about this.

Still though, when has Jacob ever saved anyone? ....Ever? Illana, maybe? John Locke, possibly?

Jacob keeping MIB on the island and away from the outside world would count as saving everyone, I guess.

SpeedingUptoStop

gdt5016 said:
I wonder if Jacob had like a wardrobe. Like a closet cave full of self made tweed sandals, those brown pants, and that white shirt.

Jack's gonna need something to wear in the finale.
Jacob had socks, but I don't think Jack's gonna wanna use the ones found up in the lighthouse, knowwhatI'msayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom