• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modern Family Season 4 |OT| Same Lily, new baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enosh

I'd pay good money if they get rid of Mani
put him on a bus to his father or something, his thing is getting really old

and I think something is fucked with the continuity of this one, seems like it it set before the Hayley comes back episode

G0523

I think something is fucked with the continuity of this one, seems like it it set before the Hayley comes back episode

It sure seemed like it, didn't it? It didn't help that she wasn't in it either. This episode was pretty meh after last week's great episode. I was groaning the entire time with Phil's storyline. It was like watching an older episode of Frasier with all of the mixed signals in place.

Did nobody notice the real life parallel with Ariel Winters Character Alex with what's going in her life right now with her mother.

Meier

It sure seemed like it, didn't it? It didn't help that she wasn't in it either. This episode was pretty meh after last week's great episode. I was groaning the entire time with Phil's storyline. It was like watching an older episode of Frasier with all of the mixed signals in place.

I actually thought the whole storyline was pretty funny. This season, as a whole, has been very good as was season 3. I'm still baffled as to how and why season 2 was so poor in comparison to the others.

Did nobody notice the real life parallel with Ariel Winters Character Alex with what's going in her life right now with her mother.

No, because I don't follow the news that closely, but her mom totally looks like older Alex:

eU9el.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
and I think something is fucked with the continuity of this one, seems like it it set before the Hayley comes back episode

Without a doubt. The episode seemed really poorly edited, which is what probably held it back in post-production.

We had no conclusion on Phil and his...unintentional 'gayscapade'? What we did get seemed sort of forced and quick.

The entire episode I was expecting Alex to admit to having thrown the competition too. And they were definitely building to that and then nothing. I do wonder if this became some sort of close-to-home personal issue where the writers felt compelled to change the episode around a bit.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Wow, really? I thought it was a fantastic episode. So many great lines:

"It's like you've never heard boys talk before."

"I picked up a few phrases at the latke station. PS - they're hash browns"

"Are you freaking kidding me?! Macedonia and Thrace - what even is that?!"

CassSept

I liked it. But yeah, the Phil storyline was just standard MF episode with everyone misunderstanding the situation, so nothing new. "Ohhhhhhhh" as he was walking up the stairs at the end was funny though.

And Luke was hilarious, as always.

big ander

Blah episode. Mitch and Jay stuff worked well. Was sad to see Broderick relegated to a boring, jokeless, empty subplot. Claire and Alex thing seemed like it was leading somewhere, then fizzled out. Ending to that story was sudden and not at all satisfactory. plus it was also not funny. Luke and Manny stuff was also a yawn. Occasional good line (same speech for churros) surrounded by the jokes about how manny is manny, which are now something like triple-exhausted.

krae_man

The first three seasons on Bluray are under $20 each on Amazon.com right now.

I snagged season 2 and 3 for myself and a second season 3 for a gift.

123rl

Some great lines and jokes in this episode. Manny saying "Does anyone even care that I'm not Mexican" got a laugh out of me

mantidor

I enjoyed it. Phil finally letting his anger out was entertaining, and I welcomed Alex's plot. It is not the most original or edgy comedy but I liked its simplicity, sometimes those are the best.

Raiden

Banned
I dont know whats wrong with me but i never ever find children or female actors funny i cant help myself.

But i could watch this show for Cam alone, everything he does is frikkin funny even when hes not talking.

big ander

Pretty funny episode, actually. The Gloria stuff worked, Cam and Mitchell were great. Haley's mugshots were hot. Felt kinda bad for alex though, that's some pretty intense cyberbullying. guess she took it in stride.
I dont know whats wrong with me but i never ever find female actors funny
you could maybe possibly be a sexist

Thought it was an OK episode. Haley being hot and Phil beating Jay was great.

Luke was hilarious at the beginning. "I made you a shiv out of an old knife." "They'll eat you alive suburbia."

mantidor

I loved Lily, she's smart enough to pull of those lines and awkward and innocent enough to not feel like a smartass or an annoying kid actor that acts like an adult instead of a kid.

Babalu.

nah manny and lily are the worst. everyone else are a-ok in my book. but everything about manny annoys me. his smart guy schtick is tired.

last episode was great.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Anyone else watch last night? I thought it was a great episode. I loved when Phil attemped dolphin noises: "Eh ehe eeehehee argh how does he do it? I hate him much!"

mantidor

Anyone else watch last night? I thought it was a great episode. I loved when Phil attemped dolphin noises: "Eh ehe eeehehee argh how does he do it? I hate him much!"

Mitchel and the cat was hilarious. I do not remember them getting a cat though, but who cares.

Nice episode.

AlphaSnake

Mitchel and the cat was hilarious. I do not remember them getting a cat though, but who cares.

Nice episode.

Lily wanted a cat, so they got her a cat early in the season.

And yes, it was a good episode, I laughed quite a bit.

I wonder if for Haley, they're going to point her arc toward being a successful employee somewhere.

AlphaSnake

I'm fairly certain I recall the cat from the 2nd or 3rd episode this season or something.

Babalu.

this last episode was freaking hilarious.

with mitchel and phil playing like the evil bond villians. mitch stroking the cat..lmao

damn her voice lol. when they couldn't fight in front of the baby and she gets all smiley saying she is going to make him pay, lololol.

and gee manny isn't good at sports. haven't we gotten this scenario enough times already? not even the other kid can save him anymore. manny sucks.

big ander

...This episode worked. Really well.

Well, not the Manny part. But every other thing was good. Favorite gag was Lily running amok.

Jim

I usually can't stand child actors (who can, really), but they are giving Lily some pretty funny one-liners lately. Her delivery usually works too.

mantidor

"Oh look, three bears!"

Perfect.

I just got that, clever indeed.

I wasn't crazy about the episode, basically only Lily made me laugh, the bit about the grapes was a nice shot out for any colombian, the bit about the car to be a drug lord wife wasn't, so they canceled each other out.

mantidor

Did that offend you? I thought it was pretty funny.

Yeah, but more than offensive is the fact that is a silly overplayed caricature that it is no longer funny, we have enough crazy and bad stuff in the country to give them plenty of material, that even if offensive at least it would be based in reality. I wonder how Sofia feels about the drug jokes, those little bits like grapes or fireworks at Christmas and that stuff seem to be coming from her.

JDSN

Banned
I think the problem with the jokes is that they are based on stereotypes from completely different south american countries like Venezuela and Peru, even Mejico. But then again I am biased since im from the same city she is (the actress, not the character) and im aware this isnt a frontier town full of drugs and cartels.

The only good thing about the background of the character is the possibility that some crazy uncle will show up ending up with Manny being killed, which would help the show a lot.

Linius

I think the problem with the jokes is that they are based on stereotypes from completely different south american countries like Venezuela and Peru, even Mejico. But then again I am biased since im from the same city she is (the actress, not the character) and im aware this isnt a frontier town full of drugs and cartels.

The only good thing about the background of the character is the possibility that some crazy uncle will show up ending up with Manny being killed, which would help the show a lot.

Hold a minute there sir, Manny off the show? Manny is a great character. Okay, they might overuse his gimmick of being too serious but still he's is a loveable kid on the show.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Hold a minute there sir, Manny off the show? Manny is a great character. Okay, they might overuse his gimmick of being too serious but still he's is a loveable kid on the show.
Eh, I think his shtick got old and tired a long time ago.

Linius

Eh, I think his shtick got old and tired a long time ago.

So did the bitching between Mitchell and Cameron. Or Luke always being dumb. Or Gloria yelling at Jay. This show is bound by stereotypes and has almost no character development. But I still like to watch it. Season three was a bit of a let down to me, but this season they're doing just fine.

JDSN

Banned
I think Manny and Luke changed a lot between the first season and this one, they have shown a few times that t Luke can me extremely manipulative and smart when he wants to; Manny just went from kid with adult tastes to Latino Truman Capote

holy shit tonight's episode was crazy, Lily had me rollin'

one of the best episodes ever :D

also glad the baby turned out to be a boy, now its balanced. 3 boys and 3 girls in the family. ...and Jay got his wish lol.

------------------------------------

this show deserves to be more popular than stuff like HIMYM, why gaf no like? ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom