• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y Official Guide goes up on Amazon- "Super Training" confirmed

I think the biggest problem with these guides are how they list stats. I wish they'd list base stats or max stats, but instead they use these stupid bars that don't really say anything. Even worse, these stat bars often get stuff very wrong. For example, I remember a guide that had regular Kyurem's Special Attack higher than Attack, but in reality, both its Attack and Special Attack stat are base 130.

This is my biggest gripe, too. I always end up just checking Serebii regardless.

Elfteiroh

I think the biggest problem with these guides are how they list stats. I wish they'd list base stats or max stats, but instead they use these stupid bars that don't really say anything. Even worse, these stat bars often get stuff very wrong. For example, I remember a guide that had regular Kyurem's Special Attack higher than Attack, but in reality, both its Attack and Special Attack stat are base 130.

Funnily, I like these bars, as the numbers don't mean anything for me. But Yeah, I prefer the way Bulbapedia does them, with the numbers as a label.

chrono01

Finding some way to alter your Pokémon's EV/IV's in-game [no, not hacking] is probably the number one thing I want from the series.

I'm OCD when it comes to that sort of thing, so when I capture a new Pokémon that I intend on using, I have to make sure that it has the nature I want, that its IV's are good, and then train it in an area where it will gain the EV's it needs. It's a lot to worry about, and in regards to Legendaries, it gets even worse. -_-

It can actually detract from my gaming experience. I know a lot of people might say that they don't matter and to just enjoy the game, but I can't simply "overlook" them no matter how hard I try. ~_~

Specific Natures + IV's + EV's = Headaches

Never played a pokemon game and recently just got a 3ds, is X & Y likely to be a good entry for a beginner?

Yes, but if you have the $$ and time then B/W(2) would be good bets to pass the time with. B/W is the best entry point out right now, though - just pick 6 Pokemon you like, raise them up, and you'll have no real issues. No real grinding required if you don't skip battles, no mandatory HMs to worry about (aside from one usage of Cut early on but you can just use a slave for that part), infinite TMs, etc. It's just very streamlined.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
A guide to where to find hidden items, TMs and HMs, and special Pokémon—with a location index!
i0LiGd9tfl08X.gif

-Horizon-

Never played a pokemon game and recently just got a 3ds, is X & Y likely to be a good entry for a beginner?

SoulSilver/HeartGold or Black/White
I'd actually say and of the lateest DS games are a good place to start. Diamond and Pearl were kind of iffy.

Elfteiroh

I really don't see what is the fuzz about HM... I have all the bad ones on my Dragonite named HMSLAVE (that I don't keep on my team, I get it out of the PC only if I need to fly or to climb waterfalls or to dive...), Surf on my water pokemon and cut on a pokemon that also know Hypnosis (to catch weaker pokemon, all my other attacks one shot them... ok, I tend to love grinding, but it's so much fun to one-shot the gyms with attacks that are "not very effectives" xD)

Mr-Joker

Banned
So when the heck are they gonna get rid of HMs??? =(

Hopefully never, I need my HM for Surf, Waterfall and Fly.

Fret not. I shall endeavour to get complete coverage within two weeks. It'll be hard but I've done harder :)

Sweet, I actually rely on your site for my Pokémon info it's one of my daily stop.

Oh calm down and quit your whining, gen 5 made it so that you didn't need any HM during the main game, barring that one time where you needed Cut in Black/White and strength in Black/White 2 and any route that needed HM were optional.

I really don't see what is the fuzz about HM... I have all the bad ones on my Dragonite named HMSLAVE (that I don't keep on my team, I get it out of the PC only if I need to fly or to climb waterfalls or to dive...), Surf on my water pokemon and cut on a pokemon that also know Hypnosis (to catch weaker pokemon, all my other attacks one shot them... ok, I tend to love grinding, but it's so much fun to one-shot the gyms with attacks that are "not very effectives" xD)

The problem with mandatory HMs is that some of us want to actually be able to use all 6 Pokemon slots for Pokemon we're actually going to use. Mandatory HMs can make that difficult while also restricting our Pokemon choices. Furthermore, the less Pokemon you actually use in battle the easier the game tends to be (well, unless you're using only like 1 Pokemon, but using 3 Pokemon in battle is infinitely easier than using 6). So, some of us want to use all 6 so that the game isn't a joke to beat.

EDIT: BW2 got the balance right, though, and BW works just fine.

BW had HMs, and, that one use of Cut just after the first gym aside, they were strictly optional. BW2 wasn't quite as good, but at no point was a HM slave even remotely needed.

Firestorm

Same. Unless they change this , I'll stick to Veekun thanks.

Elfteiroh

The problem with mandatory HMs is that some of us want to actually be able to use all 6 Pokemon slots for Pokemon we're actually going to use. Mandatory HMs can make that difficult while also restricting our Pokemon choices. Furthermore, the less Pokemon you actually use in battle the easier the game tends to be (well, unless you're using only like 1 Pokemon, but using 3 Pokemon in battle is infinitely easier than using 6). So, some of us want to use all 6 so that the game isn't a joke to beat.

EDIT: BW2 got the balance right, though, and BW works just fine.

Yeah, that I understand, but like I said, I put them all on one poké, and it sit in my box unless I find a route where I need him, then I go back to get him out of the box only for that route. (usually I trade my pokemon that just leveled, so I know I wouldn't battle with him for a while anyway as when one get a level, I put him at the far back of my team to keep it evenly levelled)

Yeah, that I understand, but like I said, I put them all on one poké, and it sit in my box unless I find a route where I need him, then I go back to get him out of the box only for that route. (usually I trade my pokemon that just leveled, so I know I wouldn't battle with him for a while anyway as when one get a level, I put him at the far back of my team to keep it evenly levelled)

That's what I do, actually, but it's pretty annoying. I'd rather only have to pull a slave out when I want to explore, not when I want to go from one town to the other.

Top Bottom