• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

jarosh said:
that's... odd. in the iwata asks interview miyamoto explained why he specificially chose NOT to implement aiming with the pointer. in fact, they showed footage from twilight princess and miyamoto mentioned how the pointer was problematic there because it took too long to bring it on screen and then "find" where it "landed" before you could actually start to aim at something. he said that with motion plus this was resolved, since you apparently don't have to tilt the remote, point it at the screen and adjust the angle, so you can keep it in the same position you were just "holding" the sword and the cursor will always pup op in the same spot, without you having to point at the screen.

and now he's supposedly saying this? makes no sense.
Wii Sports Resort and maybe some other M+ games have a "sensor assist" option that uses the pointer (without showing it on-screen) to tell whether you're facing the TV or not.

I don't know the technical details at all, but it's feasible that that messed it up, and that's what they were talking about.

I remember when WSR came out, some people with halogen lighting or lots of sunlight in their living rooms had to turn that option off because it was messing up.

Costanza

Banned
Did anyone talk about this?
Vacationing in Rome during E3 means my flow of information is limited, but from everything I've seen and read so far, it seems like people are only commenting on the graphics, and not pointing a finger or Wiimote at the Kinectimals sized elephant standing in the room: the actual Skyward Sword's connection to the story. I think there's still another big secret that hasn't been revealed about the actual Skyward Sword item yet: it will let you fly.

Many years ago, Miyamoto was adamant that he only involves himself with creating new Mario and Zelda games when there's a huge new aspect of gameplay to explore. So, naturally when I saw the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword trailer end with Link jumping off a cliff, and then read the title of the game to be Skyward Sword, a few things began to click. All of this is just speculation of course, but hit the jump and consider the following things.

Update: More evidence added at the end of the article.

Look at the left side of the picture above. Figuring out that the girl was a personification of the Master Sword was a no brainer for most people last year, but look at her again. Her cloak looks really really wrinkled. Almost like wings. And look at the handle of the master sword in the teaser video. They've always meant to portray wings, but they look even more ruffled this time.

Then look at the right side of the picture above. Yes, this Hylian crest has been around since pretty much the dawn of the legend in the Zelda series, yet it's pretty dang vivid and pronounced behind the title text. In previous games we saw a wolf behind the title text, because a wolf was integral to Twilight Princess. With Wind Waker we had a boat stapled behind the title text for obvious reasons. This time, we have a game about the sky over Hyrule, with wings plastered in bright colors behind the game's title, and the main item of the game is called the "Skyward Sword" and the trailer ends with Link seemingly jumping to his demise off a cliff. Hint hint?

My first prediction is that Link will eventually have permanent access to upgraded hover boots (think Roc's feather!) in the form of the Skyward Sword. I'm expecting it to work like an umbrella (expect a lot of Mary Poppins jokes!), where you can make Link jump off cliffs in the game, and then you hold your Wiimote up in the air, and in the game the sword will split into two wings that let you levitate or float for a while. I suppose the best description would be permanent access to one of those chicken-jumps from Ocarina of Time. Some support for this theory is the fact that the sword can draw energy from the heavens by pointing it to the sky.

My second prediction stems from the lack of Epona in the trailer. I'm not saying horse mounts won't exist, but I am saying that flying mounts in a game like this is something I'm really expecting. Possibly a pegasus, but more likely a bird of some kind -- thus the Hylian shield crest originates from a "Hero of Time in the sky." To make a Zelda game like this without letting the players fly around a level at some or many points in the game would be like not putting a boat in Wind Waker. It seems almost necessary that the sword or a mount in the game will let you fly. A flying beetle or seagull isn't enough; I want battles in the sky on the backs of flying mounts as storm clouds crack lightning all around Link! And an instrument that can control the weather! Okay now I'm getting greedy, but I'd bet all of my rupees that a flying mount will happen. It just better not be that damn owl!

My final prediction is that this entire game's plot will be the explanation for why it's important to keep the Master Sword hidden from Ganon and the rest of the world: it can literally fly you to the heavens of Hyrule. Hopefully fans will finally get to play the infamous sky temple they've always longed for!

The fact that this game won't be released until 2011 might be a reason for keeping big aspects of this game under lock and key for now. Revealing them later on right before the game's release would definitely raise the consumer excitement levels for the game all over again.

Perhaps I'm just looking up and seeing objects in Hyrule's clouds that don't exist? You be the judge. What do you think?

Updated evidence: Eiji Aonuma has said this about the new Zelda Wii game:

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing The Phantom Hourglass for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young. When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky.'... I just don't know. If many people make many speculations ... some of them might be correct. Right now, I have to refrain from commenting on anything."
http://www.destructoid.com/e3-2011-prediction-pegasus-skyward-sword-lets-you-fly-176689.phtml

I'm extremely happy with what has been shown/said so far, and I can't wait to learn more!

I wish they had it ready for this holiday though. :(

dude

dude
Looking at gameplay vids, the new control scheme makes battles look so much cooler. In the boss battle, link is constantly jumping around, and it just looks awesome.

Also, in motion I didn't even notice the trees, the game looks amazing.

Dragona Akehi said:
I have to say, this is how I always imagined a 3D Zelda looking graphically.

I honestly didn't like the look and was underwhelmed at first but I watched the conference on shitty G4 in low def, the more I see of the game in pictures and videos, it's really cool.

I wasn't worried about the game though and certainly not the gameplay.

wrowa

Dragona Akehi said:
Thank you, but I hope they weren't pulling your chain on this. I really love the way the game looks. If this is confirmed, this would be the best news out of E3 for me. Bar none.
To be honest, I can't understand why you are worried. Even if a left-handed mode isn't implemented yet, changing the hand in which Link holds the sword should be such an easy thing to do that I can't imagine that Nintendo is going to be too lazy for it.

Sure, there wasn't one in TP, but since the sword controls were only waggling it wasn't even necessary. A MotionPlus game without a left-handed mode on the other side would be kinda awkward to play and Nintendo knows that too.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I honestly didn't like the look and was underwhelmed at first but I watched the conference on shitty G4 in low def, the more I see of the game in pictures and videos, it's really cool.

I wasn't worried about the game though and certainly not the gameplay.

Heh, I watched it stream live, and I nearly swooned because it was so perfect. Then I began worrying about playing it, especially with the Wiimotion+ emphasis.

wrowa said:
To be honest, I can't understand why you are worried. Even if a left-handed mode isn't implemented yet, changing the hand in which Link holds the sword should be such an easy thing to do that I can't imagine that Nintendo is going to be too lazy for it.

Sure, there wasn't one in TP, but since the sword controls were only waggling it wasn't even necessary. A MotionPlus game without a left-handed mode on the other side would be kinda awkward to play and Nintendo knows that too.

Well, I think some of my fears are grounded because of the fact that the 3DS currently lacks a right analogue slider. And Decode/Base 10 was a bookstyle DSiWare game that somehow got past QA without anyone mentioning the need for a lefty-flip mode like other bookstyle games.

I'll be incredibly happy to get confirmation on this. I really really want to play it and not have to be frustrated with controls.

Dragona Akehi said:
Thank you, but I hope they weren't pulling your chain on this. I really love the way the game looks. If this is confirmed, this would be the best news out of E3 for me. Bar none.

If you get a chance to interview someone higher up, do you mind asking about this for complete clarification, and ask about the 3DS' lack of a right analogue slider as well? I would really appreciate it.

As games get more and more about precision in motion (and stylus) controls, LH/RH issues are going to become greater in magnitude.

This came from a senior PR person at Nintendo (not Golin/Harris), who also mentioned the HUD was not final (which was also confirmed at the round table). I believe that it's the issue with drawing Link's model with the animations flipped. Nintendo went with the right-handed default since most people are right-handed I guess, and by the final version, an option for which hand to use will be present.

I actually am not going back to the show, but I can ask my friend to inquire about it since he'll probably be plopped in that booth all day.

dude

dude
Dragona Akehi said:
Heh, I watched it stream live, and I nearly swooned because it was so perfect. Then I began worrying about playing it, especially with the Wiimotion+ emphasis.

Well, I think some of my fears are grounded because of the fact that the 3DS currently lacks a right analogue slider. And Decode/Base 10 was a bookstyle DSiWare game that somehow got past QA without anyone mentioning the need for a lefty-flip mode like other bookstyle games.

I'll be incredibly happy to get confirmation on this. I really really want to play it and not have to be frustrated with controls.
Doesn't Miyamoto prefer using his left hand? I can't see them not implementing a leftie version...

Haunted

Dragona Akehi said:
They really found the right balance. Semi-realistic design + cel-shaded/pastel/water-colour filters and techniques = brilliance.

I don't want to say best of both worlds, since there are arguments to be had for going full-realism, or full-Celda, but I feel this is a worthy compromise that's absolutely on par with the best of them.

MisterHero

They couldn't make Link's handedness switchable in TP because the level design was set around Link originally being left-handed (as well as most players being right-handed). If they make Link ambidextrous it may be a new challenge for them to make dungeons that don't rely on either side too much

TSA said:
This came from a senior PR person at Nintendo (not Golin/Harris), who also mentioned the HUD was not final (which was also confirmed at the round table). I believe that it's the issue with drawing Link's model with the animations flipped. Nintendo went with the right-handed default since most people are right-handed I guess, and by the final version, an option for which hand to use will be present.

I actually am not going back to the show, but I can ask my friend to inquire about it since he'll probably be plopped in that booth all day.

Well that's good. The reason I've been so pessimistic about this is due to the insane amount of work required animation-wise to make it work. I really don't even care if they take the "lazy" route and just flip the entire world. I'd be more than fine with that.

I do hope that some people have talked about the problems with the 3DS...I really want to play Kid Icarus too.

dude said:
Doesn't Miyamoto prefer using his left hand? I can't see them not implementing a leftie version...

He does write with his left hand, but he has said he is more comfortable with the Wiimote in his right hand. That's fine. I am more comfortable with it in my left.

pakkit

Banned
jarosh said:
that's... odd. in the iwata asks interview miyamoto explained why he specificially chose NOT to implement aiming with the pointer.

I interpreted his talk as saying that they included both options, pointer aiming and Wii Motion+ "3D Mouse" aiming.

camineet

Banned
http://gamrfeed.********.com/galler...-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword_1276674093.jpg

E3 Hands-On: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
by Nick Pantazis 9 hours ago, 5,303 views

Has the bungled Nintendo conference showing been vindicated? Find out inside.
I got extensive hands-on time with The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword during a Nintendo booth tour today, and I was absolutely stunned with the performance of the title.

I began the demo in the same place Mr. Miyamoto did in his press conference, approaching some dekuba plants which required precise cuts to destroy. I easily disposed of my first two foes, slicing the sword down and across in perfect 1:1 motions. I then tested the sword itself, making slow circles and turns in the air to see if it really matched my every move, and was not disappointed to discover it did.

As I advanced I began deploying some of my other items. I rolled bombs like a bowling ball, which was easy as well. I then drew the bow by pulling back with the nunchuk, and found the aiming flawless and easy. The slingshot was similarly responsive, and not dependant on the IR at all. The insect is launched and controlled like the Fluzzard levels in Super Mario Galaxy 2. The Wiimote is tilted left and right and up and down to direct flight.

Nearing the end of the demo I made my way into a cave to face a Gohma-ish scorpion boss, who's pincers hid his eyes. It took precise slashing to damage the boss, and again I discovered how well the controls work. I finally defeated the boss after cutting the eyes out of its pinsirs I thrust my sword between the armor and pierced its final eye, defeating it.

Thus ended my extremely satisfying demo with Skyward Sword. If you really want a 1:1 sword control adventure, look no further. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is shaping into an incredible experience.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Dragona Akehi said:

It does look excellent. Perhaps wind waker will no longer be the best looking zelda game.

I'm not trolling, guys. I really did like Twilight Princess control scheme and do seriously hope I have that as an option for this game.

Medalion

Banned
At the very least, this game controls better than what was shown on stage... and if anybody else had difficulty, probably because someone had "wireless interference" like MIyamoto-san had earlier :lol

Wait so what have left-handed people done since 1985?

NES_controller.jpg

7Th

The worst part of the art direction is that Link's face has a bored expression that looks very dull and doesn't fit very well with the colorful atmosphere of the rest of the game.

brandonh83 said:
And yet this looks better than every single true this-gen game shown at E3.

Wrong.

Gilgamesh

After watching this at the press conference yesterday I decided I should probably finish Twilight Princess since I'd given up after getting stuck in the Sky Temple. After booting it up I realized I had no recollection of what I was doing before, so I just randomly walked into one of the rooms... and I found a new path and finished the rest of the dungeon in one go. I was like, "seriously?" :lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Costanza said:
My final prediction is that this entire game's plot will be the explanation for why it's important to keep the Master Sword hidden from Ganon and the rest of the world: it can literally fly you to the heavens of Hyrule. Hopefully fans will finally get to play the infamous sky temple they've always longed for!

Um, there was a sky temple in TP.

Anyway, good read, I hope his speculations turn out to be true.

I was looking on YouTube for some new gameplay vids from the show floor and found this.

Nothing huge, but kinda cool nonetheless. I'm pretty sure you've never been able to do that in a Zelda game before, correct? It looks like it's related to the new dash meter.

Medalion

Banned
BertramCooper said:
I was looking on YouTube for some new gameplay vids from the show floor and found this.

Nothing huge, but kinda cool nonetheless. I'm pretty sure you've never been able to do that in a Zelda game before, correct? It looks like it's related to the new dash meter.
Yes, this was discussed at the conference demo... Link now has an actual jump move you can control, than a canned animation when interacting with some surfaces.

Haunted

BertramCooper said:

oooh, Link is a ninja confirmed.

Looks like it could replace the old "pull yourself up" animation. Or at least be a speedy version of it if you dash towards a wall. I like it. :D

Retro

BertramCooper said:

Ah, looks like the gauge I mentioned earlier is indeed a Dash gauge. Good to know.

I'm not sure it's going to be wall-running, at least not in the Prince of Persia sense, though it looks like dashing into a wall you could jump up onto will be more instantaneous if you dash at it (instead of stopping and jumping, you'll just hop up to the ledge).

It also appears that there might be certain ledges you can't jump up to from a standing position, but need to dash and wall-walk up to reach.

Cool.

Maybe with Pegasus Boots / Roc Feather you can wall-walk higher and do a backflip...?

Nah :lol

Vinci

Danish
otake said:
I'm not trolling, guys. I really did like Twilight Princess control scheme and do seriously hope I have that as an option for this game.

It's not going to be an option. Accept this. And see if you can move beyond the issue in order to enjoy what will likely be a good game.

Haunted said:
oooh, Link is a ninja confirmed.

Looks like it could replace the old "pull yourself up" animation. Or at least be a speedy version of it if you dash towards a wall. I like it. :D
I saw it in the gameplay videos on IGN and GameTrailers, dashing towards a wall (although I don't recall if they were dashing or not, it seemed automatic), causes Link to jump and pull himself up and over with one arm quickly.

Instead of the old OoT-through-TP method of hopping up... grabbing with both arms... sloooowly pulling yourself over the side.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
otake said:
It does look excellent. Perhaps wind waker will no longer be the best looking zelda game.

But you can understand WHY it's not going to happen, right? There is no way to use TP controls in this when combat is centered around the way you cut things with your sword.

Hobbun

I actually think the game looks great and am really looking forward to this game. I will say some of the impressions have made me a bit nervous on the controls, but that I hear it is 10 times better than TP still, that's great (and I had no issues with TP's controls).

My question is in regards to how the shield works. It has been brought up a little in the impressions, but not in detail at all. With this picture,

SkywardSword02.png

it shows that that you push up with nunchuck to activate the shield? I am assuming that the HUD is referring to just putting the shield out in front of you like would a normal shield, not necessarily pushing straight up? How exactly is the shield activated?

Not sure I like that part, I mean how easy is it to get the shield out in front of you? I can see myself accidently putting the shield up when not meaning to. With a button, it is more clear cut. I hit the button, it comes up. If I don't, it doesn't. If you are just moving the nunchuk, the shield could possibly pop up when you don't want it to.

Or for those who have played it, is it not that sensitive to put the shield up?

Joei

How come the OP hasn't been updated with any pics or videos? I think the guy just wanted to be the first to say there was a new Zelda.... the OP sucks balls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hobbun said:
I actually think the game looks great and am really looking forward to this game. I will say some of the impressions have made me a bit nervous on the controls, but that I hear it is 10 times better than TP still, that's great (and I had no issues with TP's controls).

My question is in regards to how the shield works. It has been brought up a little in the impressions, but not in detail at all. With this picture,

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/cooliomcawesome3/SkywardSword02.png

it shows that that you push up with nunchuck to activate the shield? I am assuming that the HUD is referring to just putting the shield out in front of you like would a normal shield, not necessarily pushing straight up? How exactly is the shield activated?

Not sure I like that part, I mean how easy is it to get the shield out in front of you? I can see myself accidently putting the shield up when not meaning to. With a button, it is more clear cut. I hit the button, it comes up. If I don't, it doesn't. If you are just moving the nunchuk, the shield could possibly pop up when you don't want it to.

Or for those who have played it, is it not that sensitive to put the shield up?

In the gameplay videos I've seen, it seems to work pretty much like the shield bash in TP. You make a quick movement with the nunchuk to bring the shield up (not sure if the direction matters here), and then thrust it forwards to perform a shield bash. To put it down you use a button.

masterkajo

I know that it is early to talk about the finished product but when I watched the screens and videos I came to notice that there are only 3 or 4 item spots left. Hope there will be a good amount of new items with good puzzles and M+ controls in the final game.

Also I hope they do rewarding a bit differently that in TP. Every cave I explored, I got some rupees but my money bag was full already. Would love to get some new dash boots or similar passiv items as well.

Also, why always the slingshot?? Everytime you get your bow the slingshot becomes obsolete IMO.

Graphics... YES!

Anyway, hype beyond the cloud carpet!!

Retro said:
Ah, looks like the gauge I mentioned earlier is indeed a Dash gauge. Good to know.

I'm not sure it's going to be wall-running, at least not in the Prince of Persia sense, though it looks like dashing into a wall you could jump up onto will be more instantaneous if you dash at it (instead of stopping and jumping, you'll just hop up to the ledge).

It also appears that there might be certain ledges you can't jump up to from a standing position, but need to dash and wall-walk up to reach.

Cool.

Maybe with Pegasus Boots / Roc Feather you can wall-walk higher and do a backflip...?

Nah :lol

It's a stamina meter, not a dash guage. When it depletes, Link can't attack. And yea, there was one part where Link did NOT jump/fall off a ledge, it was like an invisible wall that games like God of War use to prevent you from inadvertently falling down.

Vinci

Danish
The number of items you can get is immaterial, so long as the ones you get are useful in a variety of circumstances.

Twig

Banned
So.

What exactly about this demo screams "MORE OOT" to some of you people.

You know.

Besides the... door... and sword... and bombs... and enemies... like in every Zelda game ever.

Oh, also Link's in the game and you play as him.

Hobbun

RoadHazard said:
In the gameplay videos I've seen, it seems to work pretty much like the shield bash in TP. You make a quick movement with the nunchuk to bring the shield up (not sure if the direction matters here), and then thrust it forwards to perform a shield bash. To put it down you use a button.

Ok, makes sense. Again though, I'd be concerned I would 'accidently' activate the shield as it is only movement with the nunchuk to bring it up. I could see myself getting into the game and moving my left hand and up goes the shield. Although I could be wrong, just not sure how sensitive it is activating the shield.

Also, anyone play while sitting down? I would guess not as the stations at E3 looks like you are standing. I was wondering if it was more difficult to sit and play than to stand.

Medalion

Banned
Twig said:
So.

What exactly about this demo screams "MORE OOT" to some of you people.

You know.

Besides the... door... and sword... and bombs... and enemies... like in every Zelda game ever.

Oh, also Link's in the game and you play as him.
I think they expected the new Zelda to take place in space...like an alternate Galaxy or something, or be a space marine...

Hobbun said:
Also, I am wondering is if it is easy enough to use while still sitting down. It seems like Nintendo designed it to have the combat work more easily if you were standing up and playing.
Well, while I don't think you'll be able to play in this sort of position...

regis_super1.jpg

...it seems pretty clear that it should be easily playable while sitting comfortably. You might simply need to sit up straight.

Hobbun

BertramCooper said:
Well, while I don't think you'll be able to play in this sort of position...

regis_super1.jpg

...it seems pretty clear that it should be easily playable while sitting comfortably. You might simply need to sit up straight.

:lol

I don't sit that way when playing, just liked the pic. And sitting up straight isn't an issue.

Thanks.

Top Bottom