• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword announced for Wii [N-CONF]

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
RedShift said:
Well I've never played majora's mask so I'm basing this entirely off Wind Waker.

First I spring the fucker from jail for a crime that's never explained. I think leaving it to the player's imagination is worse.

Then the postbox tells me I need to pay 200 rupees, which if you haven't got round to fetching the bigger wallets is a big pain. This is all so that I can then hunt for a load of plot devices and spend another 3000 rupees getting them translated. One time I played it tingle started complaining about my wallet not being big enough to pay him. I don't particularly enjoy wondering the sea looking for rupees with nothing else to do, so this really annoyed me.

That's the point of the character, the manchild taken to the extreme. Sounds to me like you dislike the in game role he was given in Wind Waker more than the actual character. The whole slave driver/criminal/fairy fantasist thing I found hilarious. The dude is shady as fuck, but the best NPCs in Zelda are the ones that have a darker edge.

tingle_fanart_by_torokun.jpg

nuff said!

Twig

Banned
upandaway said:
You're in for a treat, then.

just eff wy ay I put "tingle bad" on google to have a link in this post, I don't even know that site
hahaha oh wow that thread is kind of sad in a way that things are... really really sad

PEOPLE HATE TINGLE BECAUSE HE'S TOO HUMAN

now let me shit some psychology all over your chest BAM

Trurl

Banned
I bet that Tingle was intended to eventually be the key that explains the Zelda timeline in its entirety.

It seems like he can be anywhere during anytime period and he wears a clock. He's a time lord.

Twig

Banned
Trurl said:
I bet that Tingle was intended to eventually be the key that explains the Zelda timeline in its entirety.

It seems like he can be anywhere during anytime period and he wears a clock. He's a time lord.
YOU HEAR THAT REDSHIFT?

30uzi9d.jpg

Trurl said:

This was my theory when I met him in Wind Waker. He talks about being in Majora's Mask in the hidden GBA stuff, WHICH IS IMPOSSIBLE UNLESS HE TRANSCENDS TIME ITSELF

Tingle is the God of Gods of Hyrule.

upandaway

Cygnus X-1 said:
I'm back from my London-Edinburgh 2-weeks trip.

Something new after the trip?

Btw, very nice OP.
Um, something about a dungeon where you don't have your sword? Dunno which interview that came from.

The E3 stuff didn't fill me with awe or a hungering for the game, but I don't think any Zelda trailers or demos have done that. Yet I've loved pretty much all of the games in the series so far.

I am hoping that some of the big changes they have talked about definitely come to fruition. It will be nice to have a Zelda game that is fundamentally new.

And yes, I hate Tingle.

RagnarokX

RedShift said:
Well I've never played majora's mask so I'm basing this entirely off Wind Waker.

First I spring the fucker from jail for a crime that's never explained. I think leaving it to the player's imagination is worse.

Then the postbox tells me I need to pay 200 rupees, which if you haven't got round to fetching the bigger wallets is a big pain. This is all so that I can then hunt for a load of plot devices and spend another 3000 rupees getting them translated. One time I played it tingle started complaining about my wallet not being big enough to pay him. I don't particularly enjoy wondering the sea looking for rupees with nothing else to do, so this really annoyed me.
Tingle stole the picto box from Lenzo.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
How the fuck could you not like Tingle?

tingle--article_image.jpg

Any video game he is in is automatically ten times better then it should be just because of his inclusion. Tingle is just that awesome.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i think tingle is hilarious. i think that's a character more fitting for interactions with boy link and not adult link, though. part of the amusement is that he has this almost weird admiration for you for not being grown up.

and no, i'm not trying to make pedophile jokes. i actually still think it's pretty funny and charming even if you view it in the most wholesome way possible.

Twig

Banned
beelzebozo said:
i think tingle is hilarious. i think that's a character more fitting for interactions with boy link and not adult link, though. part of the amusement is that he has this almost weird admiration for you for not being grown up.

and no, i'm not trying to make pedophile jokes. i actually still think it's pretty funny and charming even if you view it in the most wholesome way possible.
Adult Link interaction could be amusing as well if they go about it in a way that Tingle is absolutely disgusted by the mere thought of this Man intruding upon his personal space.

GET OUT OF HERE, MAN, YOU'RE CRAMPIN' MY STYLE.

Either that or full on jealousy of Link's ability to retain "fairyhood" while also being grown up (if in fact this Link has any connection to fairies at all - it's entirely possible he won't, I suppose).

beelzebozo said:

As a man child the only one who could understand him would be a child.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Twig said:
Since Skyloft is allegedly ABOVE the clouds... No. But also, yes, it might not have even been representative of the actual game.
City in the Sky is above the clouds but guess what you see when you look up in that dungeon? MORE CLOUDS!

Tingle is one of the best Zelda characters. Why must I be deprived of his second game?

Also Tingle is was in jail for being a bit too friendly towards the Killer Bees.
Everyone forgot about Daveid so he wasn't charged with kidnap.

Twig

Banned
BGBW said:
City in the Sky is above the clouds but guess what you see when you look up in that dungeon? MORE CLOUDS!
Fair enough but I think my point is more valid than your point. :3

I would bet lots of money that the E3 demo did not take place in Skyloft.

Twig

Banned
Not really that great. First game at least

Has some neat ideas and is probably overall fun but the bartering system (a big part of the game, IIRC) is just so horribly broken. I never finished it. And I love Tingle. ):

RedShift said:
Speaking as a (British) European, that's because Tingle is the most annoying video game character in existence. But really, manchildren don't go down well in the west. I love Wind Waker but his presence makes me embarrassed to play it. Even if he wasn't already extremely annoying he then basically became a tool the design team used to artificially extend the game because they'd run out of development time.

If he's in this game I'd seriously consider not buying it. He's not even so annoying he's funny, he goes right through that and out into so annoying he's despicable.

see - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericansHateTingle
Yep tingle was extremely annoying. One of the reasons why TP is superior to TWW is because of the omission of Tingle. But then they seemed to fill the void of his absence with 2 weirder characters. At least they didn't make you go through some lame quest that was used to artificially extend the game.

Ushojax

GeneralIroh said:
I didn't find him as annoying as tingle. Sure he was greedy and shady but he wasn't forced into your main quest like the Tingle in TWW.

But what is it about Tingle that makes him more annoying than say, Malo or Colin? Is it the tight pants? The fairy fetish? Why does the 15 minutes that the loveable gimp appears on screen upset people so much? I suppose Majora's Mask sucked because the Mask Salesman was a creepy weirdo who forced you to do his bidding? Weird characters have always been a staple of the Zelda series, it seems to me that a certain type of player just can't handle a grown man pretending to be a fairy. I can't believe people don't get the joke.

Ushojax said:
But what is it about Tingle that makes him more annoying than say, Malo or Colin? Is it the tight pants? The fairy fetish? Why does the 15 minutes that the loveable gimp appears on screen upset people so much? I suppose Majora's Mask sucked because the Mask Salesman was a creepy weirdo who forced you to do his bidding? Weird characters have always been a staple of the Zelda series, it seems to me that a certain type of player just can't handle a grown man pretending to be a fairy. I can't believe people don't get the joke.
Malo and Colin was nowhere near as offensive as Tingle.
I thought Malo was a likable sardonic character while Colin was like a little brother. Tingle reminds me of some weird perverted old guy trying to expose his crotch to everyone.
The mask salesman forced you to do his bidding but the quest he offered were fun.
You're no better than people who don't like tingle. "Oh look at me I'm so unique and cool for liking Tingle!"
I don't really mind weird characters but I just hate it when they play a big role in the game. I do find it funny that you guys complain about ugly characters like Reggie from Ordon village though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i like tingle because it strikes me as a message to people who take zelda too seriously or think it's got to be some sort of epic lord of the rings analog.

beelzebozo said:
i like tingle because it strikes me as a message to people who take zelda too seriously or think it's got to be some sort of epic lord of the rings analog.
THIS!

Tingle is such an awesome character. I need to start playing the DS game again but I don't want to grind to get some money now because I lost a lot and need a lot right now :( And I did not find a way to make money quick :(

But is Tingle in SS? I hope he is. The Coop Mode in WindWaker was awesome stuff. I'd like to have something like this again.

Ushojax

beelzebozo said:

Exactly. Tingle is a mirror image of the most obsessed Zelda fans. A 35 year old fairy fantasist.

Caesar III said:
Tingle is such an awesome character. I need to start playing the DS game again but I don't want to grind to get some money now because I lost a lot and need a lot right now :( And I did not find a way to make money quick :(

But is Tingle in SS? I hope he is. The Coop Mode in WindWaker was awesome stuff. I'd like to have something like this again.

Just use a guide for the bartering sections. I couldn't be arsed to do it properly. It's worth playing through, for once NoE provided a decent translation and some of the later stuff is just so bizarre. I'd also like to see Tingle in SS and a new co-op mode. The GBA stuff in Wind Waker was quite intriguing and while it wasn't very useful, Nintendo has flirted with similar ideas in Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

Caesar III said:
THIS!

I'd rather have a coop mode with the resistance team from TP

Ushojax said:
Just use a guide for the bartering sections. I couldn't be arsed to do it properly. It's worth playing through, for once NoE provided a decent translation and some of the later stuff is just so bizarre.
I'll try this, thx. I'm already pretty late in the game. Island 4 IIRC and the tower is shrinking if I'm not "feeding" it. But then again I lost/spend most of my money on I can't remember. :lol So I'm kinda stuck if you will.

But I'll try this.

Ushojax

Caesar III said:
I'll try this, thx. I'm already pretty late in the game. Island 4 IIRC and the tower is shrinking if I'm not "feeding" it. But then again I lost/spend most of my money on I can't remember. :lol So I'm kinda stuck if you will.

But I'll try this.

Seriously, do. The final boss was awesome.

Top Bottom