• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

I'm not denying Silva is the champ. Duh, he won. I'm saying this isn't any noteworthy moment for any champion. Champs find a way to win, but even bums can luck their way into a victory. This was the win of a bum, not a champion. Try to be more discerning with your praise, guys. Just because a guy owns the strap doesn't mean every performance has merit. He finally survived a war, but like Brock getting pounded in the face for a whole round, this is not a champion's victory. This is a humble win, and one he's gotta go back and reflect on. Because in the rematch, Sonnen won't give up his arm in the 5th. This was a Sonne win, dead and dusted. Silva got lucky and can give any bullshit-ass injury excuse to cover for the complete and utter luck with which he survived. PEACE.

Darkman M

Rur0ni said:
Sonnen worked Silva for 5 rounds, period. Sure Anderson got some elbows in from the bottom (hello bonnar), but his standup was stuffed, and his groud game squashed. Wasn't anything like that crap from Fitch earlier tonight.

Lucky sub because Sonnen got sloppy and sat up tired. Anderson's dancing around trying to channel RJJ got him sat on his ass. Would've been delicious if Sonnen rode it out.

how was it lucky? didn't he only try it once? seemed like he was setting it up and reacted once sonnen slipped.

Brinbe said:
What? That's stupid. Champs find a way to win even when they're not on their A-Game or their backs are against the wall. :lol

Sonnen should have did a repeat of what Silva did Maia in the fifth, do nothing and get the win by decision. :lol

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You guys seriously couldn't see that Silva was just waiting for that sub all night long? He was sitting there taking shots in all 5 rounds trying to find an opening. Can't take anything away from Sonnen though. He took Andersons stand game away from him and put him on the ground all night long.

huacst21 said:
Sonnen should have did a repeat of what Silva did Maia in the fifth, do nothing and get the win by decision. :lol

Being passive against Silva is probably the worst thing he could have done.

Afrikan

add one more...

andersonsilvatang.gif

but seriously, I knew Chael was tough, and once again he doesn't surprise me......I need to see how the Fuck he was able to outstrike Anderson.....was Silva that worried about the takedown?..... Chael called it....he was right about EVERYTHING, besides winning...but he f'n said he would out fucking strike Silva....I am still in disbelief. o_O

Rur0ni said:
Sonnen worked Silva for 5 rounds, period. Sure Anderson got some elbows in from the bottom (hello bonnar), but his standup was stuffed, and his groud game squashed. Wasn't anything like that crap from Fitch earlier tonight.

Lucky sub because Sonnen got sloppy and sat up tired. Anderson's dancing around trying to channel RJJ got him sat on his ass. Would've been delicious if Sonnen rode it out.

He worked him with pussy little punches(that looked good), aside from the one that knocked Silva down. He walked away without a scratch.

Zeliard

timetokill said:
Such crap. That was a half tap at best. Silva lucked out big time. Lame ending to the fight.

How do you feel about Fedor's tap?

dem said:
Ok come on guys

He got beat up for 4 and a half rounds

You can't be happy with that performance.

If his opponent is a strong wrestler and aggressive, there isn't much he can do other than work from the bottom, and then in the stand-up again at the start of rounds. His TDD is nothing to write home about.

What I was miffed by tonight was Silva literally holding his hands down in the first round and basically letting Sonnen pepper him with shots to the face in the stand-up. You could see when he came out in round 2 he wasn't trying that bullshit anymore.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
dem said:
Ok come on guys

He got beat up for 4 and a half rounds

You can't be happy with that performance.
No you're an idiot. That was part of Silva's plan. He WANTED to get his ass kicked for 4.5 rounds so that he could rope-a-dope Sonnen into getting in his guard with 2 minutes left in the fight, throwing lazy punches, and landing the triangle.

You clearly don't know mma, because that's championship fighting.

/sarcasm

Rur0ni

akachan ningen said:
He worked him with pussy little punches(that looked good), aside from the one that knocked Silva down. He walked away without a scratch.
Reckon we'll get some screen caps soon enough.

dem said:
anyone who thinks that was "lay and pray" is a fucking IDIOT.
This. Seems people just want strong man fights. That was the definition of an exciting use of wrestling. He landed punches and never stopped attacking, as odd as it may seem punches get weaker as fighters get tired and fighters get tired the longer the fight last.

akachan ningen said:
BJ Penn's face doesn't show damage either, doesn't mean it isn't occurring.... Some fighter bleed and bruise easily others don't.

akachan ningen said:

trust me his face will look like crap later on.

Kusagari

whytemyke said:
No you're an idiot. That was part of Silva's plan. He WANTED to get his ass kicked for 4.5 rounds so that he could rope-a-dope Sonnen into getting in his guard with 2 minutes left in the fight, throwing lazy punches, and landing the triangle.

/sarcasm

Silva is the Aizen of MMA. It was all part of his plan.

whytemyke said:

/sarcasm

He got his ass kicked for 4.5 rounds to get the sub. All according to plan by the great Silva.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nameless said:
That was some good ole fashion course correction at the end of the fight. I appreciate what strong wrestlers bring to the sport, but Silva could have taken those "shots" from Sonnen for another 10 rounds and been no worse for wear.

I don't know if Silva was being straight up about his ribs, but that would explain why he didn't look as fluid. Anyone seriously hurt would've have had the gas to lock in such a vicious triangle

Yea because Silva didn't get rocked by punches in the 1st round. OK. Still my hat is off to him. Finally he showed a champions heart. Pretty much it's get in his face and a better fighter will pull it out imo I'm still not convinced that there won't be a rematch right away. White would be a fool to deny that. Remember Shogun and Machida? And if you think that Silva isn't going to have to recuperate from the punishment that he received, you've never been boxed in the ears before.

Anderson looked awful but that doesn't take anything away from the win. Whenever you force a guy to tap then that is not a fluke...game over.

I'm just interested in seeing what Dana will do.

Nameless

I'm collecting all the Spider-hater's bitter tears for masturbatory lubricant. Spider has a weak guard which allowed Sonnen to feign dealing damage. But outside of that first round Spider was never hurt, and you are an IDIOT if you think otherwise.

Were I to ignore the Sonnen bias, I'd be surprised at all the "lucky subs" or "Anderson doesn't deserve to be champ" comments.

Did 7+ of Sonnen's other opponents get lucky also? He just has (relatively) bad submission defense. Joe Rogan pointed out multiple times where he left himsetlf open. It just took Anderson 4 rounds to finally get one in.

Maia actually subbed him in 2 minutes with the same move (after tossing Sonnen upside down) just 3 fights ago.

Nameless said:
I'm collecting all the Spider-hater's bitter tears for masturbatory lubricant. Spider has a weak guard which allowed Sonnen to feign dealing damage. But outside of that first round Spider was never hurt, and you are an IDIOT if you think otherwise.

right because you could feel every punch chael sonnen threw.. is this the next step after 3d? :lol :lol

Zeliard

Nameless said:

I don't think Silva's guard is that weak - he submits people from it, after all. It's his takedown defense that's shit. Though I will say I was surprised by the amount of shots he took in his guard tonight. Thought Silva would have been able to control it a bit more (i.e. I was expecting more elbows to Sonnen's head from the bottom).

Nameless

RiccochetJ said:
Yea because Silva didn't get rocked by punches in the 1st round. OK. Still my hat is off to him. Finally he showed a champions heart. Pretty much it's get in his face and a better fighter will pull it out imo I'm still not convinced that there won't be a rematch right away. White would be a fool to deny that. Remember Shogun and Machida? And if you think that Silva isn't going to have to recuperate from the punishment that he received, you've never been boxed in the ears before.

I'm not taking any thing away fron Sonnen's first round. Clearly he hurt Silva. But after that he showed that he was the superior grappler but didn't do any damage. Anyone who controls the fight THAT much should hurt his opponent a lot more than Sonnen did..period.

When you break/hurt a rib it takes a lot to do anything, look at the rampage fight vs shogun, rampage got his rib broken and just stood there. Glad he pulled it off in the end, go Silva!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Oh man, I feel sorry for everyone who bet on Sonnen. Epic disappointment.

That ending was some Rocky 7 shit.

Madman

Hitman said:
FUCK YEH SILVA!!!!

I was fearing a future of MMA full of lay and pray wrestlers. We already have Brock and GSP, we don't need any more.
Please don't lump Brock and GSP w/ Sonnen. Thanks.

Nameless

Fisticuffs said:
right because you could feel every punch chael sonnen threw.. is this the next step after 3d? :lol :lol

When a guy would rather eat "punches" than defend them it's a pretty good indicator that they're not very effective.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Fafnir said:
Silva getting $120k in bonus for fight and sub of the night, can't wait to watch this when I get home.

In addition, Struve got Knockout of the Night ($60,000) and Hughes got $60,000 for his submission.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
-sonnen could learn a lot from fitch in terms of exercising control without leaving yourself open to subs (not much of a reach i know, must have been -300 in vegas). i mean from about the first minute sonnen had silva down i said the fight would end with him being subbed. surprised it lasted that long even but it always seemed like only a matter of time until that cut opened up (which would have been a REALLY depressing ending)

-thought roy looked about as good as he could against jds. he tooks
shots almost no other hws could have withstood and he even caught jds with some good shots of his own a couple of times. announcers were emphasizing how gassed he was but part of that definitely had to do with getting hit with about ten usually fight-ending shots in the first round. still love both these guys though. one of those fights where you wind up liking both guys more imo

in other news: FITCHIE!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Nameless said:
I'm not taking any thing away fron Sonnen's first round. Clearly he hurt Silva. But after that he showed that he was the superior grappler but didn't do any damage. Anyone who controls the fight THAT much should hurt his opponent a lot more than Sonnen did..period.
And you're positive that Silva wasn't hurt. Superficial wounds look great for TV, but sometimes it's deceiving. Sonnen was cut on top of his head. Do you really think he was hurt? That's the tinniest area between bone and skin. It's easy to profusely bleed from there, that's why pro wrestlers cut themselves there on a weekly basis. Those shots to the body and shots to the head where people didn't think they were doing damage? I can pretty much guarantee you he will be feeling those for quite a while. Especially the boxing of the ears; I've had that done before and it hurts like hell when it happens and you ring for a long time after.

harSon

Banned
Nameless said:
When a guy would rather eat "punches" than defend them it's a pretty good indicator that they're not very effective.

I'm not sure what round it was, it was in the beginning of one of them, but Silva purposely absorbed several punches to his chin when they were still standing. Seemed like he was trying to say that he doesn't respect Sonnen's power.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So, new P4P field

GSP
Aldo
Shogun
Andy Wang
Joe Son
Anderson
Fedor
BJ

i gotta give props to Sonnen though. A lot of guys talk shit but very few back it up and do exactly what they said they were gonna do. He kept moving forward just like he said, even after getting tagged a few times. Silva did great and persevered though.

I dont' know where people are getting that Silva didn't get damaged though. He looked like a guy that got his ass kicked after the fight.

h1nch

harSon said:
I'm not sure what round it was, it was in the beginning of one of them, but Silva purposely absorbed several punches to his chin when they were still standing. Seemed like he was trying to say that he doesn't respect Sonnen's power.

I think that was the first round, and yea I got that impression too :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom