• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
harSon said:
I'm not sure what round it was, it was in the beginning of one of them, but Silva purposely absorbed several punches to his chin when they were still standing. Seemed like he was trying to say that he doesn't respect Sonnen's power.
Are you F'n kidding me? He knocked down Silva in the first round. I'm pretty sure he respected his punching power. Didn't he rock him in the 4th or 5th again (I forget)? Have you ever been hit?

Zeliard

RiccochetJ said:
Are you F'n kidding me? He knocked down Silva in the first round. I'm pretty sure he respected his punching power. Didn't he rock him in the 4th or 5th again (I forget)? Have you ever been hit?

He's talking about early in the fight, when Silva was just standing there taking shots, seemingly purposefully.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ninja Scooter said:
i gotta give props to Sonnen though. A lot of guys talk shit but very few back it up and do exactly what they said they were gonna do. He kept moving forward just like he said, even after getting tagged a few times. Silva did great and persevered though.

I dont' know where people are getting that Silva didn't get damaged though. He looked like a guy that got his ass kicked after the fight.
him charging in and then him posturing up was just pure suicide. i've missed this thread until now is there actual debate over the tap? same shit he did against filho

Rur0ni

harSon said:
I'm not sure what round it was, it was in the beginning of one of them, but Silva purposely absorbed several punches to his chin when they were still standing. Seemed like he was trying to say that he doesn't respect Sonnen's power.
Yeah, didn't work out so well. Soon as I saw his was dropping his hands to get punched, I felt like he was going to do some voodoo shit and wreck Chael. But nope...

Zeke

RS4- said:
AndersonSubmitsChaelSonnen.gif

Not sure what to say about that
its a tap what more is there to say?

Rorschach

AstroLad said:
him charging in and then him posturing up was just pure suicide. i've missed this thread until now is there actual debate over the tap? same shit he did against filho
There were a couple of guys, but everyone pretty much saw that he tapped. He raised his hand slowly when he was thinking about it and then clearly tapped.

[edit] That gif is slightly sped up too. :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
such a good card though god damn.

the big question with jds is how good his tdd will be against brock or possibly cain. it looked great against roy but that's a totally different level.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Cain and JDS are going to get routined by Brock.
You never know. I'm looking forward to it. But initially I would agree. Ultimately I think Carwin has to get back up to the #1 position. Cain is VERY good though.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
Cain and JDS are going to get routined by Brock.
Brock looked worse in his last fight than JDS did in this one. Don't let the gut fool you, JDS exactly what Arlovski did, the only exception was the match wasn't called due to the UFC not being completely corrupt.

Rur0ni

I think Cain would wreck JDS. I'd need to watch some footage and gauge the speed first though before committing 100% to that.

RiccochetJ said:
You never know. I'm looking forward to it. But initially I would agree. Ultimately I think Carwin has to get back up to the #1 position. Cain is VERY good though.
Big Nog just made him look fast, he did the same for Mir. JDS is a one trick pony and his hands aren't as heavy as he likes to think.

Panzon

Pimpwerx said:
I'm not denying Silva is the champ. Duh, he won. I'm saying this isn't any noteworthy moment for any champion. Champs find a way to win, but even bums can luck their way into a victory. This was the win of a bum, not a champion. Try to be more discerning with your praise, guys. Just because a guy owns the strap doesn't mean every performance has merit. He finally survived a war, but like Brock getting pounded in the face for a whole round, this is not a champion's victory. This is a humble win, and one he's gotta go back and reflect on. Because in the rematch, Sonnen won't give up his arm in the 5th. This was a Sonne win, dead and dusted. Silva got lucky and can give any bullshit-ass injury excuse to cover for the complete and utter luck with which he survived. PEACE.

doesn't heart of a champion mean to persevere and overcome all challenges? instead of looking at it as a bum's win, why not give Silva his credit for overcoming the fact that he got dominated for the entire fight up until that point and pulled off a nice submission anyway. He did his job which was to go in there and remain champion at all cost. Maybe we haven't seen the best AS in the last couple of fight but you have to admit the guy is a true champion

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I don't need to, a guy that no one beats is vastly superior.
Do what you want but if you don't, you'll be missing out on the best Main Event in recent UFC history.

Sonnen went up in my book, before I thought he was a little bitch. Awesome.
As I said a couple pages back, reminds me of Stephan Bonnar.

Just got back from a bar showing the game. There were a few cheers when Silva won but definitely not as many when he walked into the ring. A somewhat disappointing finale but I enjoyed it.

Panzon

this.
Sonnen definitely went up in my book despite all the trash he talks (which he does to sell himself...but still)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Rafa=FedKilla said:
Big Nog just made him look fast, he did the same for Mir. JDS is a one trick pony and his hands aren't as heavy as he likes to think.
I agree that JDS would (will) get destroyed. He just fought somebody who has a chin and it had to go to decision. However, Cain has (imo) at least 1 very impressive win against Nogueira. While I don't think he will win, the beauty of the UFC is that it only takes 1 punch or a submission, just like we saw tonight.

Grimm Fandango said:
Just got back from a bar showing the game. There were a few cheers when Silva won but definitely not as many when he walked into the ring. A somewhat disappointing finale but I enjoyed it.
Apparently they had drinks in said bar. :lol

Zeke

Grimm Fandango said:
how was it disappointing? Thats the beauty of mma it only takes a second for a fight to change. This was one of the best main events the UFC has ever had.

Buckethead said:
Apparently they had drinks in said bar. :lol

Oh yeah definitely. I'm not exactly in the most coherent of states right now :lol :lol

Zeke said:
how was it disappointing? Thats the beauty of mma it only takes a second for a fight to change. This was one of the best main events the UFC has ever had.

Just judging from everyone's reaction. I don't watch UFC at all really. Probably not the best focus group at this bar.

Zeliard said:
He's talking about early in the fight, when Silva was just standing there taking shots, seemingly purposefully.
No way that was on purpose, he was clearly rocked and lost his speed at that point. Silva was wobbly a couple of times. He looked alright at the beginning of every round, but

Really amazing PPV. If only Sonnen had decided to stay put in the fourth when he was on top, he would be the champ right now... damn! Credits to Silva though.

I'm hoping for another fight between the two. Belfort can't get a shot after this.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Freshmaker said:
Tough call. Dana needs/wants coaches for TUF, not champions who actually defend the title.
Not really, unless fans want Belfort. This has been the weakest part of his promotion, do you really think he would pass up the chance to promote Silva/Sonnen2 considering this is the most interest people have had in the M division so far? A fight in between would ruin the buzz imo. But I'm no promoter. I'm sure he's already made his decision.

Zeke

Grimm Fandango said:
Just judging from everyone's reaction. I don't watch UFC at all really. Probably not the best focus group at this bar.
majority here wanted to Silva to lose I swear any other fighter that did pulled a win like Silva did tonight people would be posting things like "what an amazing come back", "wow to come back like that what heart" The Silva hate is strong here.

Zeke said:
majority here wanted to Silva to lose I swear any other fighter that did pulled a win like Silva did tonight people would be posting things like "what an amazing come back", "wow to come back like that what heart" The Silva hate is strong here.

it's not just here buddy.. if Anderson fought all his fights up to his potential he wouldn't have so much hate.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Zeke said:
I wanted him to lose badly. But this is the first time in recent memory that he actually acted like a champion. I blame the middleweight division for this. Sonnen was the first person to actually take it to Silva and I was coursing with adrenaline when Sonnen rocked Silva. When he got the triangle and Sonnen tapped, I was forced to clap because that was an amazing defense of a title.
I love GSP, but god damn I want him to overcome adversity! I don't like these dominant title holders! I saw Machida go down and I was giddy. I want champions to be like champions in the movies gad dammit!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Zeke said:
Tito gets wild praise for nearly catching Machida with an arm bar. Actually executing the sub... Nah. That's lame.

What a fight, the bar i watched the fight in was Pro-Sonnen and watching as Silva kept getting taken down and stuffed when he tried to get back up for 5 rounds was beginning to get disheartening but he pulled through.

I admit Sonnen pissed me off with all his trash talk, but dude backed it all up and almost took down one of the greatest fighters in the UFC.

Shame for Belfort, but its looking more and more like he's not going to get a shot at Silva at this rate. Sonnen tapped but u know people would buy a Rematch PPV more than they would a Belfort-Silva PPV

ty_hot

Someone forgot to turn Silva on, he was in Stand by for 28 minutes. after he was on again, 15 seconds were enough.

Silva haters -> Deal with it.

Fio

Lame post fight press conference. Someone there should have called Sonnen out for his 'fake tapping'. Pretending he didn't tap was pathetic. But Sonnen still got some respect from me, he's a fighter, differently than Fitch, who singlehandedly represents all that this sport doesn't need. I practice grappling, I'm actually one of these few people who watches and enjoys pure grappling tournaments, but it's infuriating seeing Fitch fighting, he just can't finish at all, he doesn't look for submission or to gnp his opponent, he doesn't want to do anything except pinning his opponent down, the card was just incredible except by his lame performance, again.

I'm actually impressed by Nelson's chin, the guy definitely can take a shot, holy shit at some punches that he ate. But I noticed that Dos Santos gassed, I believe he's put on too much muscle mass.

And all the trash talk by Sonnen really got into Silva, he was being overly aggressive when he's good at counterattacking and hardly takes the initiative to attack his opponent unless they're hurt, every time he waited for Sonnen he landed some good shots, he should have waited for Sonnen instead of trying to attack him relentlessly.

Incredible event, great fights, I'm still euphoric by Silva's victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom