• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
NinjaCodah said:
Well, you just said it: Belfort has been waiting for his shot. He hasn't fought anybody at middleweight yet. Unless Sonnen is injured or something, I find it hard to not give the fans another exciting fight like the one we just had. Strike the iron while it's hot, keep this going.

Belfort could fight Maia, Marquardt, Okami. I think Cote is injured, so is Belcher.
He had the fight lined up and dropped out due to injury. In all honesty Vitor does not deserve a title shot, but I would like to see that fight.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Zeliard said:
I don't disagree with any of that. Literally my only problem with a Sonnen/Silva rematch is that I think Belfort deserves the shot first. He's been waiting in the wings, and there wasn't some fuck-up of a decision tonight that greatly demands an instant Silva/Sonnen rematch, so I think it should go to Belfort first.

If you have Sonnen/Silva II next, then who is Belfort supposed to fight? He's been specifically waiting for Anderson Silva. I'd have no issue with an instant Sonnen rematch if there wasn't another immediate contender for Silva, but there is.
Vitor does not deserve a title shot for beating up an old Rich Franklin. The only reason the UFC was pushing him as a challenger at MW was because Anderson had no one else deemed a threat. Now that there is a legitimate challenger in Sonnen, there's no way they're passing up that rematch money for a Belfort/Silva fight. I bet more than half the audience watching UFC now never saw Vitor fight in the Octagon before the Franklin fight.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
samus i am said:
If there was a rematch what could Sonnen do any better? It seems to me like he gave absolutely 100% and still came up short. On the other hand, if Silva improves his take down defense I think he could make short work of Sonnen.

Ummm...work on his sub defense! :lol

Come on now, everyone knew that was Sonnens major fault going into this fight. He needs to look back at the tape and see all the times were he leaves his wrist out for anyone to take and how he puts his head right their like a present waiting to be tied with a bow. :lol

It is without a doubt that both fighters will take away a lot from this fight and that a rematch would be very interesting to watch.

NinjaCodah said:
It's the size that is the problem.

Well we are going p4p, if Silva couldn't handle Sonnen's wrestling you can say that GSP's judo/wrestling/striking would have destroyed Silva

And if Sonnen had won, GSP would for sure be #1 in the world

Zeliard

Eggo said:
Vitor does not deserve a title shot for beating up an old Rich Franklin. The only reason the UFC was pushing him as a challenger at MW was because Anderson had no one else deemed a threat. Now that there is a legitimate challenger in Sonnen, there's no way they're passing up that rematch money for a Belfort/Silva fight. I bet more than half the audience watching UFC now never saw Vitor fight in the Octagon before the Franklin fight.

I dunno, Vitor Belfort feels like a bigger name than people think. Some may not have seen him fight but he was pretty damn infamous in the early days of the UFC, with his name permeating the mainstream to a mild extent. He's got some decent name recognition.

There's certainly more money in a Sonnen/Silva rematch, but the whole title picture there at middleweight is strange. If Silva beats Sonnen and it isn't Belfort up next, then it's likely going to be someone that Silva already beat, if not destroyed.

Guys like Okami, Maia and Marquardt are where they are right now because they showed they couldn't hang at the top, all of them losing badly to either Silva, Sonnen, or in Marq's case both. Maia beat Sonnen but was laughably ineffectual against Silva, in a fight I hope we never see a rematch of. I don't think Belfort belongs there just yet.

Belfort/Sonnen would be the right fight to have within the next few months to properly settle contendership. Maia's got a fight coming up August 28 and Marq has a fight in September, so if Belfort waited to fight them he'd just be burning even more time. Dude's not getting any younger. He could fight Okami, I guess, but meh. Before the Munoz fight Dana White was saying that Okami deserves a title shot, so it's possible we'll see Belfort vs. Okami for the #1 contendership. Actually that seems likely, if they go with a Sonnen/Silva rematch.

Kusagari

BigJonsson said:
Is Anderson still #1 p4p?
GSP would have pwned Anderson tonight, or would you say that Sonnen's wrestling > GSP?

Sonnen also has a far better chin than GSP. If Silva got a good shot on GSP it could be over.

Zeliard said:
I dunno, Vitor Belfort feels like a bigger name than people think. Some may not have seen him fight but he was pretty damn infamous in the early days of the UFC, with his name permeating the mainstream to a mild extent. He's got some decent name recognition.

There's certainly more money in a Sonnen/Silva rematch, but the whole title picture there at middleweight is strange. If Silva beats Sonnen and it isn't Belfort up next, then it's likely going to be someone that Silva already beat, if not destroyed.

Guys like Okami, Maia and Marquardt are where they are right now because they showed they couldn't hang at the top, all of them losing badly to either Silva, Sonnen, or in Marq's case both. Maia beat Sonnen but was laughably ineffectual against Silva, in a fight I hope we never see a rematch of. I don't think Belfort belongs there just yet.

Belfort/Sonnen would be the right fight to have within the next few months to properly settle contendership. Maia's got a fight coming up August 28 and Marq has a fight in September, so if Belfort waited to fight them he'd just be burning even more time. Dude's not getting any younger. He could fight Okami, I guess, but meh. Before the Munoz fight Dana White was saying that Okami deserves a title shot, so it's possible we'll see Belfort vs. Okami for the #1 contendership. Actually that seems likely, if they go with a Sonnen/Silva rematch.

Dana wants to make money, a rematch would make the most money

Instro

I wouldnt mind seeing a rematch but I feel like Sonnen would have to develop some way of finishing fights because he was tiring by 3rd-4th round which is what eventually lead to him being submitted. He doesnt have the endurance of GSP to hold someone down for 5 rounds, and since he clearly doesnt have strong hands or any sub techniques Im not sure how he could win in a rematch.

Meanwhile Silva just has to make sure the fight stays standing for as long as possible, hell he had an excellent chance to finish Sonnen early in the 4th, after he rocked Sonnen, if he hadnt tried to engage him on the ground.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
abstract alien said:
Silva is terrible and Jones is going to take his lunch money.
You wish...

jerkface.

Kusagari said:
Sonnen also has a far better chin than GSP. If Silva got a good shot on GSP it could be over.
What exactly are you basing that off of? GSP can't take a hit? I've seen once that GSP got rocked and it was by Sera. I've seen harder hits on GSP and he took them. Until he's taking shots like Liddell was, I would be inclined to think that you have to at least hit him continually like Silva was tonight.

MrSerrels

I just had a look at Sonnen's history and 8/11 of his losses have come from submissions – is that normal, or is safe to say that he has a major major weakness in that area and possibly Silva was waiting for that chance?

Zeliard

MrSerrels said:
I just had a look at Sonnen's history and 8/11 of his losses have come from submissions – is that normal, or is safe to say that he has a major major weakness in that area and possibly Silva was waiting for that chance?

It's safe to say that Sonnen has a huge weakness with submission defense. Demian Maia was probably salivating tonight throughout the entire first four rounds.

bozeman

So I left when Sonnen got the takedown in the 4th round because my friend was asleep in the backseat of my car....did I miss anything???

goddamnit

RiccochetJ said:
He happen to mention his UFC debut?
I did, told him he was gonna smash kampmann and due to Fitch being Fitch he would probably get the title shot. Also told him I was happy as fuck for him getting into the UFC.

We were in a loud nightclub in Frisco called Roe, so we couldn't really get into some deep dialogue.

Zeliard

Haha, Sherdog's Beatdown podcast is saying that the strikes total through four rounds was 218-11 in Sonnen's favor. Lot of those were short, ineffective punches on the ground, though.

Still, imagine predicting those numbers pre-fight.

Zeliard said:
Haha, Sherdog's Beatdown podcast is saying that the strikes total through four rounds was 218-11 in Sonnen's favor. Lot of those were short, ineffective punches on the ground, though.

Still, imagine predicting those numbers pre-fight.
He can still claim that no one ha ever outstruck him

Norml

Silva is king.:D

No use in a rematch if Silva's claim to being not 100% is true, which it looked to be as he was slower in my eyes tonight.

Norml said:
Silva is king.:D

No use in a rematch if Silva's claim to being not 100% is true, which it looked to be as he was slower in my eyes tonight.
that's exactly why a rematch would be awesome! we'd all see just how much of a factor the rib injury was.

Norml

The Faceless Master said:
that's exactly why a rematch would be awesome! we'd all see just how much of a factor the rib injury was.
that is true,but I would much rather see him take on a new opponent next.

edit- this was funny
silva-o.gif

Hex

Banned
Great night of fights.
Hughes, damn as much as I hate him most of the time he still has it.
Guida is always fun to watch.
Big Country can take a beating, damn. Junior was landing bombs but I think he needs to work on conditioning a bit more.
Silva, Spider had be scared for a bit. Sonnen brought it but you have to give it to Silva, he never looked nervous and held his composure setting up and waiting.
Fantastic ending.
Fantastic night.

Fake edit: Why did I even peek at the Sherdog forums *feels a migraine coming on*

Hex

Banned
All I could picture after that was Silva doing a Johnny Cage shadow kick to his back as he stood up.
Now I need to play some MKII.

Hex

Banned
Sonnen needs to train in some subs instead of relying so heavily on ground and pound, though I will say with no hesitation that there are many other fighters who would have been done early on in Silva's sitaution.
The intensity he had in the post fight and everything is what he needs to stick with, the bullshit spouting does him no good and I think even distracts him.

agrajag

Banned
One of the best cards i've ever seen. Hughes choke, Struve comeback and Silva/Sonnen were the highlights for me. Fitch vs Alves was the lowlight, but i actually blame Alves for it more so than Fitch. He just looked really bad, probably because of the long layoff.

edit:

big props for Sonnen for looking very impressive and taking the fight to Anderson for five rounds (i still hate him as a human being though)
big props to Anderson for perservering like a true champion, being patient and pulling off that sub when he found the big moment. they had me on pins and needles the whole fight.

I have to say, the last two UFC cards have been great. The main event wasn't anti-climatic (Pierre vs. Hardy, Maia vs. Silva, Rampage vs. Evans, etc).

I actually counted Silva out when Sonnen won the third round. At the moment when Sonnen mounted Silva in the fifth, I was like this fight was over and like a true champ/fighter, Silva managed to capitalize on an opportunity.

For the rematch, I do hope he comes in healthy and motivated. If not, it probably is time for him to retire.

Struve continues to surprise me.

Hughes owned the student and the master.

And Big Country definitely needs to work on conditioning and some more strategies. He hit a wall that wouldn't get beaten by an errant punch or let him lay on him for three rounds.

charsace

People are going crazy with the GSP stuff. Sonnen was getting takedowns and winning exchanges, but he was getting hit. At one point he took a flying knee on the chin. Sonnen also took some elbows while on the ground. GSP would have to be able to take a strike from Silva to get a takedown and I don't think he can.

charsace said:
People are going crazy with the GSP stuff. Sonnen was getting takedowns and winning exchanges, but he was getting hit. At one point he took a flying knee on the chin. Sonnen also took some elbows while on the ground. GSP would have to be able to take a strike from Silva to get a takedown and I don't think he can.

To be fair, GSP's chin is highly underrated because of the Serra fight, where he actually got hit behind the ear. He can probably take a lot more damage than people think, it's just been a while since he got hit. The guy fought with teared muscles for 2 rounds against Alves and nobody noticed. GSP's camp can also come up with good strategies to take Silva down. If there's a way to minimize damage on the takedowns attempts, you can bet the house that GSP's camp will find it. And on the ground, GSP can be a lot more careful than Sonnen, score points and neutralize Silva rather than try to beat him up. It's hard to believe anyone could knock out Anderson after last night. Silva's head is very much like BJ Penn's - the light is always on.

Is Sonnen still sticking to the 'I didn't tap" BS?
When the fight ended, the fans, and announcers and ever his boys were up in arms about it.
After they showed the simple replay where he fucking tapped, everyone (even his boys) shut the fuck up except him.

Pimpwerx

MrSerrels said:
Waiting? Hell no. You don't wait with your face as a fist-magnet. He was hoping for it, certainly. When Sonnen gave it to him, he took it. PEACE.

Hex

Banned
BobTheFork said:
Is Sonnen still sticking to the 'I didn't tap" BS?
When the fight ended, the fans, and announcers and ever his boys were up in arms about it.
After they showed the simple replay where he fucking tapped, everyone (even his boys) shut the fuck up except him.

The only people pulling the "he didn't tap" thing are sherdog idiots and bandwagon riders.
Even Sonnen did not try and play that card after the fight was over. (though he will in a week or two in the press I am sure).
He also pulled the same thing in a previous fight.
I do not think anyone on this board is pulling that (well I think there was one person but they are an idiot so it is ignored)

Hex said:
The only people pulling the "he didn't tap" thing are sherdog idiots and bandwagon riders.
Even Sonnen did not try and play that card after the fight was over. (though he will in a week or two in the press I am sure).
He also pulled the same thing in a previous fight.
I do not think anyone on this board is pulling that (well I think there was one person but they are an idiot so it is ignored)
ok. I didn't get to see the post fight interviews but reading the thread someone mentioned that he was still pulling that stunt.
The most amazing thing about the fight to me is that if you just looked at these two guys afterwards, you would NEVER have guessed how the fight went.

Nameless

52880546.jpg

Sonnen deserved to lose the fight. "Staying busy" isn't on the same thing as trying to finish your opponent. The majority of Chael's strikes weren't thrown with the intent to do damage, they were thrown to score points with the judges and give him the decision. If you control your opponent on the ground for 4 1/2 rounds there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever not to attempt a single submission. Even when Sonnen had Silva's back he didn't make a serious attempt at a rnc, he just kept on throwing those baby punches.

And what grounds does Sonnen have for a rematch. He wasn't screwed over by the judges and he wasn't a great champion who had an off night.

as admirable as Sonnen's effort was, I don't think you can do the immediate rematch thing unless its controversial (Rua/Machida) or the champion loses, he should get a shot to win it back (Penn/Edgar). I would give Belfort the shot next and then give Chael a match against the winner.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Ninja Scooter said:
as admirable as Sonnen's effort was, I don't think you can do the immediate rematch thing unless its controversial (Rua/Machida) or the champion loses, he should get a shot to win it back (Penn/Edgar). I would give Belfort the shot next and then give Chael a match against the winner.

Mmmmmm its like saying the dude Struve was fighting deserves a rematch because he was kicking ass till he got GTFO.

Hex

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

I still think that Sonnen v Belfort is the way to go for it with winner getting Silva

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If Silva is out for a while, Vitor v Sonnen for #1 contender. If Silva is healthy, Vitor deserves the shot.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nameless said:
Sonnen deserved to lose the fight. "Staying busy" isn't on the same thing as trying to finish your opponent. The majority of Chael's strikes weren't thrown with the intent to do damage, they were thrown to score points with the judges and give him the decision. If you control your opponent on the ground for 4 1/2 rounds there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever not to attempt a single submission. Even when Sonnen had Silva's back he didn't make a serious attempt at a rnc, he just kept on throwing those baby punches.

And what grounds does Sonnen have for a rematch. He wasn't screwed over by the judges and he wasn't a great champion who had an off night.
ironically trying to get in position to do damage was what cost him the fight. he only ever got hurt bullrushing silva at the beginning of rounds (totally inexplicable) and trying to posture up to get more power behind his strikes (imo unjustifiable, especially late, but as so many other fighters, including many crappy ones, taught us before, sonnen is one stubborn motherfucker when it comes to not caring about being subbed). he doesn't have roy nelson power to finish maybe but that doesn't mean he doesn't to whatever he can to do serious damage and he definitely tried that fight which earned him all of a gigantic gash and a loss in a fight he otherwise "dominated" (i put that in quotes b/c let's face it we all thought at least a little he was going to get subbed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom