• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 117 - Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - LIVE on PPV 8/7 - 7pm PT/10pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nameless said:
52880546.jpg
Damn Silva...Sonnen was on that ass huh :lol

Luckily, you kept your poise and pulled a win away from the war. Sonnen won the battle though, as they say. After that type of performance, I'd love to see a rematch, he deserves it seeing as he dominated the champion like that. The fight was never even close...gotta give respect to that.

Hex

Banned
abstract alien said:
Damn Silva...Sonnen was on that ass huh :lol

Luckily, you kept your poise and pulled a win away from the war. Sonnen won the battle though, as they say. After that type of performance, I'd love to see a rematch, he deserves it seeing as he dominated the champion like that. The fight was never even close...gotta give respect to that.

I do not believe that doing well against someone is grounds for a rematch.
You get one chance, and unless there is some controversy you fight to get another chance.
I have no doubt that we will see Sonnen against Silva again before too long, as long as Sonnen does not let this loss get in his head.

Hex said:
You get one chance, and unless there is some controversy you fight to get another chance.
I have no doubt that we will see Sonnen against Silva again before too long, as long as Sonnen does not let this loss get in his head.
There wasn't any controversy in the Penn vs Edgar fight.

Hex said:
Although I do agree with you, I guess it's a bit different for me seeing as he didn't just do well, he completely shredded Silva. I'm not really suggesting that he gets a rematch right this second, but I think he's earned every bit of it if Dana did make it happen.

I posted in the heat of the moment, but after watching the replays, yeah, Sonnen tapped -- but you could see that he probably realized he did it too early.

Still, Silva walked away from that fight pretty battered. To those of you thinking Sonnen looked worse -- I think Sonnen was tired, sure, but he's a bleeder... his face always looks like that after matches. Usually I figure the more his face looks beaten up, the better the chances are that he won the fight.

Would love to see a rematch but it definitely felt like Sonnen let the chance slip away.

Props to Silva for pulling out the victory. It says a lot that even after 4 straight rounds of being on the receiving end of a beatdown, you still wondered if, at any moment, he was going to knock Sonnen out.

Still, props to Chael -- besides winning, which he almost did, he backed up all of his trash talk in a big way. He brought the fight to Silva, and for four rounds there was pretty much nothing Silva could do about it.

Awesome night of fights overall.

Hex

Banned
abstract alien said:
Although I do agree with you, I guess it's a bit different for me seeing as he didn't just do well, he completely shredded Silva. I'm not really suggesting that he gets a rematch right this second, but I think he's earned every bit of it if Dana did make it happen.

The problem I see is that then it goes from a fighter saying "I finally get my chance, it is do or die" and ends up with "I don't have to win just do really good and then I can get a second try"

I will be honest, I do not care if he gets an immediate rematch or not.
I think he showed his cards, and as with many times in the past (especially with a belt on the line) he came up short and I think he will have less of a chance in a rematch.

Pimpwerx

Hex said:
Rematches are for close matches. How is this not a close match? The match was 100% Sonne for 90% of the scheduled championship distance. Hell, 99% of the match was all Sonnen. This is also the first time Silva's been tested. A rematch will be bigger than this one since people now know Sonnen's legit. If Dana waits and Sonnen puts in a so-so fight against someone else, it kills the heat. PEACE.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
timetokill said:
I posted in the heat of the moment, but after watching the replays, yeah, Sonnen tapped -- but you could see that he probably realized he did it too early.
that is what he does. put him in any sort of a hold and he starts freaking out like he's going to get his neck snapped or something :lol

Hex

Banned
NinjaCodah said:
I can't help but think that many Silva fans don't want another fight in fear of seeing their idol take another beating.

Go back to sherdog with that crap.
Have him fight Sonnen again, but then what?
Going to come back and try and convince people that he should get a third chance?
He is an mma bridesmaid who can not finish fights, I am fairly sure that Dana accepts this too now.
Let him have his rematch so we can hear where his mouth takes him this time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I can't believe this fight. Absolutely mind blowing.

Just rewatched the card. Awesome.

Joe Rogan's Big Country sweater comment. Nelson was REALLY gassed in the third round. I don't think he should drop 30 pounds but he definitely needs to improve his conditioning.

Guida's conditioning is awesome.

What was up with the Struve fight? In the second round, the other guy put his arm up to slap hands out of sportsmanship and Struve came and kicked him directly after that. Awesome exchange though.

Silva is a sneaky guy. The middleweight division is so jacked up, they should give Sonnen a rematch. I think Silva should also retire but then it would blatantly show how weak that division is compared to LW and HW.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
NinjaCodah said:
I can't help but think that many Silva fans don't want another fight in fear of seeing their idol take another beating.
The exact opposite, an immediate rematch would be worse for Sonnen if anything. Dude gave his absolute best shot and lost in the 5th round, Silva isn't gonna be shown up twice. No way in hell.

Hex said:
Belfort has been waiting for Silva for a hell of a long time, not sure how he does not deserve it.
Waiting does not equal deserving. He should at least have a fight at middlewight before he challenges for the title.

Zeliard

Silva got a title shot after beating Leben and Brock after beating Herring. Franklin isn't what he used to be but he got owned by Belfort. If you really want to put some strong emphasis on the fact that it was at a catchweight 10lbs above middleweight when he smashed Franklin, that's your prerogative, but I don't consider it very significant.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What was up with the Struve fight? In the second round, the other guy put his arm up to slap hands out of sportsmanship and Struve came and kicked him directly after that. Awesome exchange though.
Yep saw the same thing. Was cheering for Struve but not after that. I think the whole touching gloves thing is stupid, do it once before the fight in the middle and that's it, but if you're going to do it you can't be that blatant about using it as a tactical advantage imo. Well I guess you can but

Hex

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yep saw the same thing. Was cheering for Struve but not after that. I think the whole touching gloves thing is stupid, do it once before the fight in the middle and that's it, but if you're going to do it you can't be that blatant about using it as a tactical advantage imo. Well I guess you can but

Struve comes off as an idiotic punk ass.

Fio

It seems that the event sold pretty well, I don't think Dana would show that much enthusiasm if the numbers weren't really that good.

“Trending tonight was insane,” MMAJunkie report White as saying after the event. “We think we did a big number tonight – a really big number. If not one more [expletive] person buys this pay-per-view, I’m happy as a pig in [expletive]. That’s how well we did.”

“We have a little formula, and we know how to calculate what we think we’re going to do,” White continued. “It was a ‘holy [expletive]‘ moment again.”

http://www.fightofthenight.com/news/dana-white-anticipates-ufc-117-buy-rate-to-be-a-big-number/

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
NinjaCodah said:

I'd rather see him fight Vitor next mainly because Vitor tends to put on a better show. Wrestlers are boring as hell to watch.

oneHeero

Hex said:
Have him fight Sonnen again, but then what? Winner fights next contender. Belfort
Going to come back and try and convince people that he should get a third chance?Yes, because we cant use common sense. IF he wins, 3rd fight wouldnt be bad depending if it were a controversial win. If he losses, than of course he wouldnt get a 3rd chance.
He is an mma bridesmaid who can not finish fights, I am fairly sure that Dana accepts this too now.
These are stupid questions. A rematch is needed imo.

sonitii

Just watched the main event. Some good stuff. It was about time someone gave Silva a beatdown, especially after the antics he pulled last time. But he gets the last laugh pulling out the victory.

Nameless

Just rewatched the last round of the main event. Anderson caught Sonnen with a nice straight right from his back while Chael was throwing nothing shots. That definitely seemed to hurt Sonnen and after a few elbows Spider was able to lock in the triangle while Chael was covering up.

Hex said:
Have him fight Sonnen again, but then what?
Going to come back and try and convince people that he should get a third chance?
Wow, you had to bring sherdog into this. That's low.

Anyhow, good, let him have his rematch! Let's see if saying that Anderson will smash him will make it so this time around.

It seems that the PPV buys for this event are going to be very strong - Chael the company man did his work. Silva/Sonnen2 is almost inevitable now.

Kogepan

Nameless said:
Just rewatched the last round of the main event. Anderson caught Sonnen with a nice straight right from his back while Chael was throwing nothing shots. That definitely seemed to hurt Sonnen and after a few elbows Spider was able to lock in the triangle while Chael was covering up.

With him leading 4-0, i was expecting him to just get on his bicycle and run in the 5th round....

Saty

One of the most intense finishes in a while. Great victory and a well-deserved one in my mind. Sure, Sonnen was on top all the time, in all rounds but he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, his shots from the top position did almost no damage while Silva was more dangerous.
Standing up, at the start of each round, Silva connected with massive shots and was short 1 strike to end it when Sonnen was able to ground him.

The way i saw it, Sonnen was an improved Fitch. Taking the guy down and then doing nothing, just staying at the dominant position unable to deal effective damage,advance position or finish the fight. I'm not sure i would want to give him the win and the title only doing that. I mean if the first Machida-Rua fight went with Machida exactly because 'you have to do much more against the champion to get the title', then i think Silva-Sonnen was the same. Sonnen sure looked good by putting Silva on his back but it didn't ammount to anything - in all stages of the fight it still looked like Anderson is the only one that can end the fight before the decision.

So yeah, i'm happy, i'm a Spider fan. His fights are always entertaning, even (or esepecially) when he's doing his shannanigans. Silva was protesting the lame fighters they would put against him so he was coasting the matches. I do hope now after going through this near-loss experience, he'll cut back on the swagger.

Havn't read all of the thread, how serious is Silva's alleged pre-fight rib injury?

Freshmaker said:
I'd rather see him fight Vitor next mainly because Vitor tends to put on a better show. Wrestlers are boring as hell to watch.
Chael Sonnen has received 2 Fight Of The Night bonuses in a row.

Spiderjericho said:
Nelson was REALLY gassed in the third round. I don't think he should drop 30 pounds but he definitely needs to improve his conditioning.
I really don't think his conditioning is a problem. Any fighter would slow way down after eating those uppercuts from JDS in the first round.

yacobod

Banned
i was away at my bachelor's party this weekend so i wasnt able to post in the thread, but man it would have been so epic had sonnen been able to ride out the last 90 seconds of that fight, dude straight up dominated anderson silva, very impressive performance from chael, his post fight comments were awesome as well

pretty awesome ppv

i wonder how thiago alves will fare at 185, maybe have him debut against anthony johnson, it would be hilarious if neither could make the 185 weight limit either :lol

y2dvd

Saty said:
One of the most intense finishes in a while. Great victory and a well-deserved one in my mind. Sure, Sonnen was on top all the time, in all rounds but he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, his shots from the top position did almost no damage while Silva was more dangerous.
Standing up, at the start of each round, Silva connected with massive shots and was short 1 strike to end it when Sonnen was able to ground him.

The way i saw it, Sonnen was an improved Fitch. Taking the guy down and then doing nothing, just staying at the dominant position unable to deal effective damage,advance position or finish the fight. I'm not sure i would want to give him the win and the title only doing that. I mean if the first Machida-Rua fight went with Machida exactly because 'you have to do much more against the champion to get the title', then i think Silva-Sonnen was the same. Sonnen sure looked good by putting Silva on his back but it didn't ammount to anything - in all stages of the fight it still looked like Anderson is the only one that can end the fight before the decision.

So yeah, i'm happy, i'm a Spider fan. His fights are always entertaning, even (or esepecially) when he's doing his shannanigans. Silva was protesting the lame fighters they would put against him so he was coasting the matches. I do hope now after going through this near-loss experience, he'll cut back on the swagger.

Havn't read all of the thread, how serious is Silva's alleged pre-fight rib injury?

Were we watching the same match? Sonnen took Silva down and did nothing? He was one of the most active wrestler I've seen in awhile. Sure, he landed a lot of pepper shots, but he also got in several good shots on the ground.

EYEL1NER

y2dvd said:
Were we watching the same match? Sonnen took Silva down and did nothing? He was one of the most active wrestler I've seen in awhile. Sure, he landed a lot of pepper shots, but he also got in several good shots on the ground.
Yep. There was one moment I think in the 4th round where Sonnen had Silva down and Silva was kinda on his side and had his head bounced off the mat like 4 or 5 times. I was rolling :lol.

Jinaar

I feel so bad for Sonnen. The guy gave it his all. And after 5 rounds of beating the shit out of Silva, he let his guard down. I cannot say Silva deserved the win, but he did win. He did not look like a champion at all. He looked like a theft waiting for the opportunity to strike.

Matt Hughes fight was epic. The last few fights of his have been really great to watch. Alot more respect for him recently.

Zeke

Jinaar said:
I feel so bad for Sonnen. The guy gave it his all. And after 5 rounds of beating the shit out of Silva, he let his guard down. I cannot say Silva deserved the win, but he did win. He did not look like a champion at all. He looked like a theft waiting for the opportunity to strike.
:lol :lol :lol

woodypop

When will this get replayed? I would LOVE to see it all again.

(I'm kinda new to this, so I don't know how soon it gets shown again after the live broadcast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom