• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Destiny Alpha Withdrawal Thread

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Just hearing the excitement in Dan's voice when he was talking about the game made me so much more hyped. IIRC, he said something about inviting a "top guild" to come test the raid(Glass), and it took them 14 hours to clear it.E

16 hours and they failed to clear.

:)

If it's well designed I don't think you'll see people complaining about the difficulty.

I don't think I've ever seen any game design choice for any game ever that doesn't at least have a vocal minority complaining about it. I don't have your kind of faith in the community.

Never saw too many complaints of Halo 3's Legendary (or ODST's).

Yeah, Destiny is going to attract a lot of MMO players that wouldn't necessarily complain about a hard FPS setup.. but will, without hesitation, scream from the mountaintops of the interwebs about how "badly designed" this raid is because they can't beat it.

Number45

It doesn't necessarily have to be the size of the map, but getting all the players through a particular obstacle without dying or something like that.
So is this a raid in the traditional sense, in that there will be a learning phase but eventually you'll be able to get it down in a (relatively) small amount of time? Happy enough if that's the case. ^_^

My first Legendary play-through of Cairo Station in Halo 2 took my brother and I over 3 hours, so...

That number will probably scale down. I hope a good portion of it is travel time and puzzles though. Would be something magical about six Guardians skirting across the acid-laden fields of Venus on their Sparrows and then breaking through an alien building, jumping across platforms and winding their way across caverns full of enemies to get to the bosses. But I guess this still sounds more like a Strike than a Raid.

robo

16 hours and they failed to clear.

:)

Not to be a nath sayer but this isn't just one attempt surely? They failed, restarted, failed again?

If not how the heck are you gonna get 3 guys to be able to play for 16 hrs right of the bat.

I'm all for a good sesh but wouldn't that length of time be to much?

I wonder what the hell takes so long? Just the sheer number of enemies i guess? Cant be the size of the "area" or map.
It's not uncommon for new raid-style encounters. I mean, even being able to look up the boss fights online and have strategies handed to you, raids in other games can take 2-4 nights of 2-3 hours sessions. Considering these guys probably were just thrown in and had to figure things out on the fly, I can see spending 16 hours in there without finishing.

Edit:
robo said:
If not how the heck are you gonna get 3 guys to be able to play for 16 hrs right of the bat.
6 People. The "standard approach" is that there's a lockout system of sorts, where the raid will hold your progress for some given period of time. (A few days, a week maybe) So you spread it out.

So is this a raid in the traditional sense, in that there will be a learning phase but eventually you'll be able to get it down in a (relatively) small amount of time? Happy enough if that's the case. ^_^

Not much of the raid has been revealed. I don't even know what a typical raid involves.

Number45

Edit: 6 People. The "standard approach" is that there's a lockout system of sorts, where the raid will hold your progress for some given period of time. (A few days, a week maybe) So you spread it out.
OK, so this would require a static group and schedule. Assuming that's the case, I'll be interested to see how that goes.

Not much of the raid has been revealed. I don't even know what a typical raid involves.
In most cases you can take hours/days/weeks to learn an encounter, but eventually be able to clear it in an hour or so. This is more skill based (by which I mean the structure of the fight can't be as rigid as a standard MMO), so as I say it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

I'm not down on it, just legitimately curious.

Destiny |OT| RAAAIIIID?!?!
Destiny |OT| DestinyGAF raid schedule: Mon/Wed/Fri 11:00 to 03:00

Hoodbury

Yeah, Destiny is going to attract a lot of MMO players that wouldn't necessarily complain about a hard FPS setup.. but will, without hesitation, scream from the mountaintops of the interwebs about how "badly designed" this raid is because they can't beat it.

MMO players will be use to it. It'll be the CoD and Battlefield type of players that will complain about it. Et. see the number of people who had a difficult time with the spider in the Alpha because they thought it was just a bullet sponge.

MMO players will be use to it. It'll be the CoD and Battlefield type of players that will complain about it. Et. see the number of people who had a difficult time with the spider in the Alpha because they thought it was just a bullet sponge.

Well it is a bullet sponge, but it's all relative. It may take 30 minutes to take down the Devil Walker for lower levels, but higher levels were able to do it in less than 10 minutes. Similarly, that Captain who gave you trouble because his shield recharges before you can reload your weapon to finish off his health bar will go down in 3 shots when you level passed him.

Still, it'd go a long way to make fighting them more interesting if they didn't just stand in one place.

Well it is a bullet sponge, but it's all relative. It may take 30 minutes to take down the Devil Walker for lower levels, but higher levels were able to do it in less than 10 minutes. Similarly, that Captain who gave you trouble because his shield recharges before you can reload your weapon to finish off his health bar will go down in 3 shots when you level passed him.

Still, it'd go a long way to make fighting them more interesting if they didn't just stand in one place.

I think he was more talking about the people who were literally only shooting Devil Walker's legs, never noticing the true weak spot whenever you knocked it down.

A ton of baddies that are stronger than normal dungeons enemies but still nothing compared to bosses. Multiple bosses throughout the raid. Puzzles and traps.

Good natured MMO players will be used to that but there's plenty of MMO players who complain encounters into oblivion (when they're listened to). But yes, pure FPS players will probably claim "bullet sponge," not realizing that it's necessary in order to have encounters that have phases and patterns and aren't easily cheesed.

A ton of baddies that are stronger than normal dungeons enemies but still nothing compared to bosses. Multiple bosses throughout the raid. Puzzles and traps.

tbM8z.gif

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member

Good natured MMO players will be used to that but there's plenty of MMO players who complain encounters into oblivion (when they're listened to). But yes, pure FPS players will probably claim "bullet sponge," not realizing that it's necessary in order to have encounters that have phases and patterns and aren't easily cheesed.
IMO, the Devil Walker was very much going into bullet sponge territory. Even if you figure out to shoot the legs and then the neck ( which is pretty obvious and shouldn't be hard to figure out ), it didn't really do anything apart from shooting things at you. It sits in the same area all the time and there's no need to get in close enough for his close range attacks to be effective, so in the end, you're just shooting at him for several minutes, occasionally hiding behind a bit of wall so he doesn't hit you back. The only real threats were being under-leveled or doing something stupid like standing out in the open and / or getting overrun by the other Fallen that respawned constantly. There were no real phases and the 'shoot legs > shoot neck > repeat'-routine was not really exciting to do for several minutes.

I would've loved it if there had been less respawning Fallen guys / Captains in favor of a more mobile Spider Tank.

At least Sepiks teleported around a whole bunch + being able to hit his weak spot meant he could hit you.

IMO, the Devil Walker was very much going into bullet sponge territory. Even if you figure out to shoot the legs and then the neck ( which is pretty obvious and shouldn't be hard to figure out ), it didn't really do anything apart from shooting things at you. It sits in the same area all the time and there's no need to get in close enough for his close range attacks to be effective, so in the end, you're just shooting at him for several minutes, occasionally hiding behind a bit of wall so he doesn't hit you back. The only real threats were being under-leveled or doing something stupid like standing out in the open and / or getting overrun by the other Fallen that respawned constantly. There were no real phases and the 'shoot legs > shoot neck > repeat'-routine was not really exciting to do for several minutes.

I would've loved it if there had been less respawning Fallen guys / Captains in favor of a more mobile Spider Tank.

At least Sepiks teleported around a whole bunch + being able to hit his weak spot meant he could hit you.

I think part of the reason for this is because it IS the first boss (mini-boss really) that players encounter and another part may be buggy scripting. Specifically the tank not being very mobile, being the ease in for the beginner players and the randomness of the adds being the buggy script.

The spider tank technically has phases, though they're not as intricate as one would expect because it doesn't noticably change attack patterns.. but I think, like Septik, the adds that spawn are supposed to come at specific damage intervals that the tank goes through, signaling a phase change.

We'll see how it works out in Beta (assuming TDL is still available in the Beta content) to see if it's turned differently.

This sounds like a lot of fun!

Yup. Though I do want to specify that I'm describing what typical raids in other games consist of. Outside of the jumping section where the floor disappears, there's nothing really known about Destiny's specific raid.. so it may contain that kind of content or it may not.

Hoodbury

I agree it's not the most exciting fight ever built, but it also shouldn't be overly complicated since it's a level 6 boss. You don't want to scare away the more casual players with low level sub-bosses.

It has a pretty good pacing to it in my opinion. Casuals will take 10-15 minutes on it depending on their gear, super hard core players will take it down in under a minute I bet.

OK, so this would require a static group and schedule. Assuming that's the case, I'll be interested to see how that goes.
I would be surprised if they take that sort of approach though. It's really up in the air at this point, because they could do a node+branches design for the raid so that you don't take much time to get to any single encounter, allowing you to jump in and out and take the bosses out in whatever order you wish. In that sort of design, you could have maybe 3 of 7 possible encounters defeated, and you can look for people to go take down any of the 4 remaining.

In a linear raid where you must beat boss #1 to get to #2, #2 to get to #3 and so on, you're in a bit more constrained, and arguably more tied down to a single group. I personally don't think we'll see this sort of approach because it would be counter to the "jump in and do something awesome" philosophy Destiny seems big on.

Dax, GAF Comedian Extraordinaire.

If it's in a game, it can be complained about. First Law of Gaming.
Can. Key word!

I mean, for any game mechanic you can probably find someone who doesn't dislike it. I should've said you won't see a lot of people complaining about it. As I've said, I didn't see too much complaining (or rather, none at all) for Halo 3's Legendary difficulty.

Can. Key word!

I mean, for any game mechanic you can probably find someone who doesn't dislike it. I should've said you won't see a lot of people complaining about it. As I've said, I didn't see too much complaining (or rather, none at all) for Halo 3's Legendary difficulty.

Well, be prepared. :)

I would be surprised if they take that sort of approach though. It's really up in the air at this point, because they could do a node+branches design for the raid so that you don't take much time to get to any single encounter, allowing you to jump in and out and take the bosses out in whatever order you wish. In that sort of design, you could have maybe 3 of 7 possible encounters defeated, and you can look for people to go take down any of the 4 remaining.

In a linear raid where you must beat boss #1 to get to #2, #2 to get to #3 and so on, you're in a bit more constrained, and arguably more tied down to a single group. I personally don't think we'll see this sort of approach because it would be counter to the "jump in and do something awesome" philosophy Destiny seems big on.

Really depends on what Bungie wants to accomplish in terms of difficulty. The branches or wings approach is great if every boss is equal in difficulty. Then it might actually encourage splitting attempts across multiple days. Linear can work however, simply by having a later boss or two have a more simple/forgiving encounter.. giving players a reprieve from demanding fights.

In either case, I'm super interested in how they're going to distribute loot. If it's a per boss drop system.. it helps players advance further into the Raid but comes with the sideeffect of matchmade people dropping group mid run when they've gotten something they like or even just farming early encounters rather than trying to complete the whole thing.

Top Bottom