• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico

I've been enjoying "Person of Interest" and "Terra Nova." But I kind of expect both to only get one season. So far, nothing this season has been really outstanding. I have hopes for "Grimm" and "Once Upon a Time."

Rico said:
I've been enjoying "Person of Interest" and "Terra Nova." But I kind of expect both to only get one season.
Ditto on both points. Its kind of annoying that the only place to watch Person of Interest if you miss it is on CBS.com. All their other shows are on On Demand and Hulu. I wonder why that particular show is so locked down?

ivysaur12

Banned
Maklershed said:
Ditto on both points. Its kind of annoying that the only place to watch Person of Interest if you miss it is on CBS.com. All their other shows are on On Demand and Hulu. I wonder why that particular show is so locked down?

You can't watch any CBS show anywhere else. Try it. You just don't want CBS show (congratulations to good taste, by the way).

ivysaur12 said:
Really. Let's lineup all 300+ channels of English language cable and see how that goes.

Really, the cable card? CW looks like the worlds best network when you start looking at stuff like G4 and such. Those networks are as relevant as the religious channel or the shopping channel.

But yes, lets look at cable. You know all the big cable channels, the ones that actually matter? The majority have a dedicated Spanish channel (ESPN Deportes, History en Espanol, Discovery Espanol, MTV Tres etc etc etc) or SAP at all times.

Does G4 have spanish? No, but no one gives a shit. Any channel that matters, does*.

And there are many spanish-only cable channels, like Galavision.

*Exception being comedy central, probably because translating humor is too hard.

I wonder why American studios always adapt anime into movies rather than TV shows. Two hours can never do a series justice.

Imagine how massive something like a quality Death Note adaptation would be. Few series in general lend themselves so well to the "gotta watch next week" itch, and the show loses nothing by not taking place in Japan.

I just feel that there's been this huge void in escapist drama ever since Lost ended. And it saddens me :-(

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Leona Lewis said:
I wonder why American studios always adapt anime into movies rather than TV shows. Two hours can never do a series justice.

Imagine how massive something like a quality Death Note adaptation would be. Few series in general lend themselves so well to the "gotta watch next week" itch, and the show loses nothing by not taking place in Japan.

I just feel that there's been this huge void in escapist drama ever since Lost ended. And it saddens me :-(

Starz gives series order to 'Noir'

Granted, it's not the best anime, but still.

ivysaur12

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Really, the cable card? CW looks like the worlds best network when you start looking at stuff like G4 and such. Those networks are as relevant as the religious channel or the shopping channel.

But yes, lets look at cable. You know all the big cable channels, the ones that actually matter? The majority have a dedicated Spanish channel (ESPN Deportes, History en Espanol, Discovery Espanol, MTV Tres etc etc etc) or SAP at all times.

Does G4 have spanish? No, but no one gives a shit. Any channel that matters, does*.

And there are many spanish-only cable channels, like Galavision.

*Exception being comedy central, probably because translating humor is too hard.

No other networks are doing scripted and unscripted programming specifically aimed at Hispanic markets. That's why scripted on Univision and Telemundo does so well - they don't have to compete in primetime against the types of programming that English nets do.

Once there is more dedicated Spanish programming on cable, Univision and Telemundo will see the same dips in ratings that other nets have seen. There's nothing remarkable about their success other than the fact that, yeah, there's a growing Hispanic population in America that also watches television.

Takao

Banned
Last week's Saturday Morning Network ratings:

Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, October 8, 2011 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):
Source: Disney Research from Nielsen Media Research Data

CW (Toonzai) 0.9/5 Avg. (7a-12p)
Magi-Nation 0.2/2; Magi-Nation 0.3/3; Sonic X 0.4/3; Sonic X 0.9/4; Yu-Gi-Oh 1.3/6; Sonic X 1.8/8; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.3/6; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.1/5; Tai Chi Chasers 0.7/3; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.8/4

NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.4/2 (10a-1p)
Turbo Dogs 0.4/2; Shelldon 0.3/1; Magic School Bus 0.4/2; Babar 0.4/2; Willa's Wild Life 0.4/2; Pearlie 0.5/2

CBS (CookieJarTV) 0.3/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)
Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.1/0; Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.2/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.4/2; Danger Rangers 0.2/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.5/2; Horseland 0.4/2

Jeeze Sonic X beast mode. The 1.8 timeslot will now be the home of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, so let's see if they can maintain those ratings (they won't) with this new series.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Replicant said:
Wow, really? The only good thing about that series is its soundtrack (OP/ED):

Coppelia's Casket - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdFSNtG8F3U
Salva Nos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXvVWhQRRyY
Canta Per Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9pfSx6AjOE

I really like the soundtrack as well, but I think the premise could lend itself to a live action series, especially one on a premium channel. I just hope they don't try to stretch the story out for more than 2 seasons.

Novid

Banned
Leona Lewis said:

No need to do it because most of the Japanese tropes are used in most american drama since 2005 anyway. Guess who used them less. Great shows but way bottom on the ratings totem pole. Biggest long con in TV business right now.

Novid

Banned
Takao said:
Last week's Saturday Morning Network ratings:

Final K6-11 Ratings for Saturday, October 8, 2011 Broadcast Networks only (Live + SD Data):
Source: Disney Research from Nielsen Media Research Data

CW (Toonzai) 0.9/5 Avg. (7a-12p)
Magi-Nation 0.2/2; Magi-Nation 0.3/3; Sonic X 0.4/3; Sonic X 0.9/4; Yu-Gi-Oh 1.3/6; Sonic X 1.8/8; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.3/6; Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.1/5; Tai Chi Chasers 0.7/3; Yu-Gi-Oh 0.8/4

NBC (Qubo on NBC)Avg. 0.4/2 (10a-1p)
Turbo Dogs 0.4/2; Shelldon 0.3/1; Magic School Bus 0.4/2; Babar 0.4/2; Willa's Wild Life 0.4/2; Pearlie 0.5/2

CBS (CookieJarTV) 0.3/1 Avg. (7-10a/10a-12p)
Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.1/0; Doodlebops Rockin Road Show 0.2/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.4/2; Danger Rangers 0.2/1; Busytown Mysteries 0.5/2; Horseland 0.4/2

Jeeze Sonic X beast mode. The 1.8 timeslot will now be the home of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, so let's see if they can maintain those ratings (they won't) with this new series.

They might. Who knows?

ivysaur12

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
The Cancellation Bear is still hungry!

Stop that. The cancellation bear is literally the dumbest part of TVBTN. I'm so fucking sick of them using that dumb metaphor.

lol at network television with The Walking Dead. There are no network dramas that have come close this year to a 3.8.

It's also interesting to see Noir picked up. I always thought there were a few Japanese properties that might make interesting live-action series (Persona, for instance).

ConfusingJazz said:
So, the Walking Dead did well last night: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ason-premiere-delivers-record-ratings/107480/

Scored a 3.8 in the demo, also the most watched cable drama ever.

Most watched in the demo. Monk and The Closer have both had higher total viewers.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
Stop that. The cancellation bear is literally the dumbest part of TVBTN. I'm so fucking sick of them using that dumb metaphor.

I think the reason why they do it is because no matter how often they say it, people do not understand that shows are competing against their own network this year, not other networks from years past and present. The bear metaphor keeps people focused on the idea that renewals and cancellations are occurring on a per-network basis and barring any extenuating factors (Friday, syndication, economics of internally produced shows versus external shows, development weakness in drama or comedy) shows doing worse on the network should be cancelled before shows doing better on the network.

I agree that the cutesy images every week are a bit much for my taste.

ivysaur12

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
NCIS scored a prelim 3.9 last week, a 4.0 final.

EDIT: Yeah, I know, best rated on network TV, but still true.

Sorry, I meant "new" drama. Omitted that in my typing.

Stumpokapow said:
I think the reason why they do it is because no matter how often they say it, people do not understand that shows are competing against their own network this year, not other networks from years past and present. The bear metaphor keeps people focused on the idea that renewals and cancellations are occurring on a per-network basis and barring any extenuating factors (Friday, syndication, economics of internally produced shows versus external shows, development weakness in drama or comedy) shows doing worse on the network should be cancelled before shows doing better on the network.

I agree that the cutesy images every week are a bit much for my taste.

Fine, I get that. It's still frustrating. And then all the comments are "LOL HERE COMES THE BEAR RAWWWWR!"

Stop that.

colbert-bears-threatdown.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm really pleased with TWD numbers. It's not an incredible show, but it does fill a hole that no other show fills. I bet they renew it for a third season really soon.

RatskyWatsky said:
I'm really pleased with TWD numbers. It's not an incredible show, but it does fill a hole that no other show fills. I bet they renew it for a third season really soon.

I have said it before, NBC needs a shoot at things show, not necessarily a zombie show, just something that pairs up well with football.

Last nights push that I noticed on NBC during football: Harry's Law, the birth episode in Up All Night, and Cee Lo going to Parenthood. What cross demographics are they reaching for there?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ConfusingJazz said:
I have said it before, NBC needs a shoot at things show, not necessarily a zombie show, just something that pairs up well with football.

Last nights push that I noticed on NBC during football: Harry's Law, the birth episode in Up All Night, and Cee Lo going to Parenthood. What cross demographics are they reaching for there?

I agree. NBC needs to figure their shit out.

I'm not sure, but did NBC ever try to pair Friday Night Lights with Sunday Night Football?

RatskyWatsky said:
I agree. NBC needs to figure their shit out.

I'm not sure, but did NBC ever try to pair Friday Night Lights with Sunday Night Football?

What I remember is that they really pushed it as a teen drama, and that actually put me off of it for the first season.

Kyon

Banned
i take back what i said in page 2, i watched Revenge and it's AH-MAZING! :X plz tell me it got a full season order guys PLZ

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ConfusingJazz said:
What I remember is that they really pushed it as a teen drama, and that actually put me off of it for the first season.

And that was still under NBC's old president of programming...Yep. Those kinds of shitty decisions are what put NBC into the pickle they're currently in.

ivysaur12

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:

Really, what else can they do? Those are the only three shows they have that could have any potential for growth. I don't even think Harry's Law is worth promoting at this point, but it's got George in this episode so I understand.

ivysaur12 said:
Really, what else can they do? Those are the only three shows they have that could have any potential for growth. I don't even think Harry's Law is worth promoting at this point, but it's got George in this episode so I understand.

I know, they are fucked, I am still just amazed and flabbergasted they let it get this bad.

ivysaur12

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
I know, they are fucked, I am still just amazed and flabbergasted they let it get this bad.

I was actually thinking the same thing before I turned off the game.

At least The Voice is much more compatible with female demographics. NBC needs a fall show akin to Justified or SOA that skews male to launch with SNF.

ivysaur12 said:
I was actually thinking the same thing before I turned off the game.

At least The Voice is much more compatible with female demographics. NBC needs a fall show akin to Justified or SOA that skews male to launch with SNF.

Its not like they didn't have someone that can pick out winners for them. I wouldn't be shocked if their USA properties are beating their NBC properties in the demo.

Novid

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Its not like they didn't have someone that can pick out winners for them. I wouldn't be shocked if their USA properties are beating their NBC properties in the demo.

They did that last Monday.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ivysaur12 said:
I don't think it's a dumb metaphor. I'd use "bomba", but Wario64 hasn't posted in this thread yet, IIRC.

ivysaur12

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
I don't think it's a dumb metaphor. I'd use "bomba", but Wario64 hasn't posted in this thread yet, IIRC.

It was kind of cute the first time they posted it. It's not anymore. It's annoying, and the comment section on TVBTN makes it even more frustrating.

Is anyone else as worried as I am that Last Man Standing's repeat did the same as a Modern Family repeat? A 1.3 at 8pm on Friday. Shit. This show's gonna be a hit, isn't it?

TheNatural

My Member!
On my pro Fringe horse here again, but it's funny thinking that FOX may literally have no drama/action shows left outside of the Glee stuff next year.

House is probably in it's final year, Terra Nova's ratings are very meh, Bones is in jump the shark territory. Some new shows debut at the start of 2012 that look like the dime a dozen ones FOX cancels every year. Just funny Fringe is probably going to be canned when there's nothing left of drama shows on their network very soon.

I bet by fall next year FOX's lineup is going to be 2 hours of Gordon Ramsey chef shows, X-Factor and American Idol for 7 hours, and an hour of Glee. Tada, lineup finished.

TheNatural said:
On my pro Fringe horse here again, but it's funny thinking that FOX may literally have no drama/action shows left outside of the Glee stuff next year.

House is probably in it's final year, Terra Nova's ratings are very meh, Bones is in jump the shark territory. Some new shows debut at the start of 2012 that look like the dime a dozen ones FOX cancels every year. Just funny Fringe is probably going to be canned when there's nothing left of drama shows on their network very soon.

I bet by fall next year FOX's lineup is going to be 2 hours of Gordon Ramsey chef shows, X-Factor and American Idol for 7 hours, and an hour of Glee. Tada, lineup finished.

Yeah, Fox is looking to be the next NBC.

They need a new 24/prison break man show. Human Target didn't cut it.

GoutPatrol said:
Ratings for network are a little different from cable, but yeah, that is still impressive.

No, he was stating that no drama on network tv beat the Walking Dead, which was untrue. In a later post, he corrected himself by meaning to say new drama, but forgot to add it, which I can understand. I believe a quarter of my posts on NeoGAF are missing an important word or two because of edits and stuff.

TheNatural said:

Eh, I don't think Fox is in that bad of a situation. Bones may jump the shark with the baby plotline, but one could easily argue that Fringe already has with the dismal start to season 4.

For all we know House might even be back next year. I'd imagine that that's up to Hugh Laurie.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Eh, I don't think Fox is in that bad of a situation. Bones may jump the shark with the baby plotline, but one could easily argue that Fringe already has with the dismal start to season 4.

For all we know House might even be back next year. I'd imagine that that's up to Hugh Laurie.

Fringe has never had good season openers, though. Season 3 has proven to be an exception, not a rule. Also, dismal? Disappointing, yes. Dismal? Eh.

I expect Man Up will do fairly poorly tonight. Even if Last Man Standing stays in the mid 3s, Man Up is a low-buzzed, poorly rated, poorly tracked single cam following a multi cam.

That still leaves Modern Family, Suburgatory, The Middle, Cougar Town, Happy Endings, Apartment 23, Work It (which will bomb, hopefully), and Last Man Standing to fight for next year's schedule. Honestly, the way dramas are going, I expect most of them will make it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just wanted to mention that I accidentally watched Prime Suspect last Monday and liked it enough to watch it again last night -- but I guess these are just re-runs from the previous Thursday?

Anyway, it's good, and I've never wanted to watch a procedural in my life. I like the actress.

Speaking of which, I must be the only person on the planet that likes NBC in general and have for nearing two full decades.

ivysaur12

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Just wanted to mention that I accidentally watched Prime Suspect last Monday and liked it enough to watch it again last night -- but I guess these are just re-runs from the previous Thursday?

Anyway, it's good, and I've never wanted to watch a procedural in my life. I like the actress.

Speaking of which, I must be the only person on the planet that likes NBC in general and have for nearing two full decades.

It's turning into a good procedural, Maria Bello is excellent in it, but the numbers aren't there.

Takao

Banned
Novid said:
They might. Who knows?

The Yu-Gi-Oh! spinoffs haven't done well in the ratings. Though, Zexal is the most Saturday morning friendly of the group (the last series focused heavily on dry dialogue, and long over arching plots). It's just that it's taking a Sonic X broadcast, and Sonic X is the American Idol of Saturday morning broadcast TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom