• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norm MacDonald Live Returns with David Letterman on July 25th

Monocle

I've been down on Norm since he got super weird and aggressive toward that one comic who did some very mild Christian jokes on the comedy program he was judging. Accused them of "taking on" the religion. The comic obviously struck a major nerve for Norm to get his panties in a twist over such a toothless routine.

UrbanRats

I've been down on Norm since he got super weird and aggressive toward that one comic who did some very mild Christian jokes on the comedy program he was judging. Accused them of "taking on" the religion. The comic obviously struck a major nerve for Norm to get his panties in a twist over such a toothless routine.
I remember listening to a more candid interview of him, and thinking how much i would consider him a moron outside of his comedy (he was talking about science and religion incidentally) and i'm sure he shares some other views i'd find questionable.

But i still consider him my favorite comedian working, by a long shot.
His style of jokes and delivery just clicks with me like nothing else.

As long as he keeps that stuff to himself, and keeps being funny, i'm not looking to have him as a friend anyway. :p
Besides, i think that's part of what gives him his style of jokes.

Anyway, Caitlyn Jenner's episode is out, that should be an... interesting one.

I thought it was a pretty good episode too. Norm shows off his interviewing skills here, he's quite good at it. Seeing Caitlyn rip on egret was awesome too.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
It was a good episode. The Seinfeld one, as well.

I think Norm would do exceptionally as a late night host of a regular show, but it would kill me inside to lose the hilarious side of him (a la all of Season 1, most of Season 2) for the more poignant and controlled season 3 (sans the absolutely HILARIOUS Stephen Merchant episode)

UrbanRats

Norm seemed pretty restrained in this episode, which was probably for the best.
Went better than expected, and the Christian angle was probably a good point of contact there.

It was a good episode. The Seinfeld one, as well.

I think Norm would do exceptionally as a late night host of a regular show, but it would kill me inside to lose the hilarious side of him (a la all of Season 1, most of Season 2) for the more poignant and controlled season 3 (sans the absolutely HILARIOUS Stephen Merchant episode)

Yep. It's kind of killing me how good Norm is at this. Like, scoring Letterman, Tyson, Caitlyn Jenner and Seinfeld in one season. I'm almost expecting this season to culminate with Taylor Swift > Mel Brooks > Obama/Trump at the same time. Definitely a far cry from the Super Dave episode 1 of this series. I asked him on a reddit AMA once if he was planning on having Artie on the show, and he said they were working on it...that was during season 1 though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I wonder how an Artie episode would even work in this version of NML...

It would be jocular and jovial, I am sure, but I doubt it would be "funny" like the old ones.

Yeah, that was probably Norm's most impressive work as an interviewer. I wonder how people who put Norm on their shit list for his more "conservative" views would feel about it.

Margaret Cho episode is up on Amazon Prime I guess (I'm in Canada And NML isn't on Canadian Prime so will have to watch via VPN later).

Apparently Norm is back in messing with the guest mode for this one again (This was actually the first episode filmed for Season 3 though) so it should be good.

The Rich Little episode was great, I love hearing old timey Hollywood stories. The amount of people he was around seems unreal, if that was just some random old dude in a nursing home you'd think he had dementia with all the names he was dropping. It's a portal to the past when you listen to some older guys talk, it's fascinating.

The Rich Little episode was great, I love hearing old timey Hollywood stories. The amount of people he was around seems unreal, if that was just some random old dude in a nursing home you'd think he had dementia with all the names he was dropping. It's a portal to the past when you listen to some older guys talk, it's fascinating.

What impressed me most was that the man is 78 and recited an entire old movie scene from a movie that Norm brought up. Sharp guy and great guest.

The Cho episode is a short one, but I'll forgive it just for the jump cut to her talking about assholes tasting like pennies with no no context or explain to how the conversation arrived at that point.

You may already be aware, but there is an incredibly produced podcast called "You Must Remember This" which focuses exclusively on "Old Hollywood Stories".

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/

It's absolutely riveting - I never thought I'd care about silent movie stars, Charles Manson acolytes or Doris Day but goddamn if this isn't one of the best podcasts out there. Super engaging. The production values are NPR/CBC quality with interstitial music and guests periodically performing reads.

/Now back to Norm.

Everyone should watch the Tim Allen episode, it's one of the best this season. Really funny and Norm is on his game.

He's still a mega-douche though.

The whole Tim Allen episode had me DYING. The jokes segment I pretty much had tears. Norm was destroying.

I didn't mind Tim to be honest. Seems like a chill guy even if he says some weird shit.

UltraMav

The whole Tim Allen episode had me DYING. The jokes segment I pretty much had tears. Norm was destroying.

I didn't mind Tim to be honest. Seems like a chill guy even if he says some weird shit.

Their discussion on atheism was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from both parties. And Tim's seeming inability to understand what taxes are for makes my head spin. For the record, Norm is one of my favorite comedians of all time and I loved Home Improvement, but this episode left me angry at both of them for just being... stupid.

balohna

The best part of the episode was the "candy man" bit at the end. Went from a jab at Tim Allen (which I appreciated personally) that didn't make the other people on stage laugh, to a call back that kept making them all crack up. Great stuff.

dickroach

Their discussion on atheism was one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from both parties. And Tim's seeming inability to understand what taxes are for makes my head spin. For the record, Norm is one of my favorite comedians of all time and I loved Home Improvement, but this episode left me angry at both of them for just being... stupid.

him acting like he got his daughter really good when he said "well there has to be a god for you not to believe in!" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Solid episode overall but those last 15 minutes are possibly the best this show has ever been.

Yeah, last 15 minutes definitely hearkened back. They definitely went and got really high before the jokes segment. Tim kept saying saying something like "yeah, that's better" referring to Norm. Then Norm started calling Tim the candy man. Jim and Adam were drying laughing. Not to mention the fact that he brought Jim Downey out! Barely introduces him, even though he's pretty much the most important person in Norm's professional career. Weird segment.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You can pretty much assume any Norm joke that features the words "beautiful" or "big juicy" will be hilarious. The Biblical joke had me dying, like always. One of the better episodes of season 3,but i agree with the other posters that have largely called the season disappointing. I want more jokes and Norm antics and fewer serious interviews. :p

blahness

You may already be aware, but there is an incredibly produced podcast called "You Must Remember This" which focuses exclusively on "Old Hollywood Stories".

It's absolutely riveting - I never thought I'd care about silent movie stars, Charles Manson acolytes or Doris Day but goddamn if this isn't one of the best podcasts out there. Super engaging. The production values are NPR/CBC quality with interstitial music and guests periodically performing reads.

/Now back to Norm.

Also in this vein is Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast. Gilbert and his co host interview a lot of old Hollywood stars as well as comedians and it's packed with great stories and a lot of laughs.

Tom_Cody

/Now back to Norm.
It's ok.

My fiance absolutely loves it

So, I'll add that I want a 10 part docu-series on Rodney hosted by Norm MacDonald. Is there any kind of remotely good Rodney doc out there? The last two Rodney stories I've heard on this show have been the funniest shit ever.

UrbanRats

Caught up with the Tim Allen episode.
Final round of jokes was great, their conversation was pretty stupid, but still entertaining.

Still, i want Norm to go back to serial killer and Nazi jokes, pls.

Top Bottom