• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

plagiarize said:
i get that you were waiting for a few big DX11 games before you upgraded, but it still kind of blows my mind that you were complaining about Crysis 2 not having DX11 when you couldn't even play Crysis 1 with DX10.
I am a game enthusiast man. I don't have a 360 (anymore) but I still think its ridiculous that Microsoft is now including interactive ads in Kinect games. Just because one doesn't own a product doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to offer their views on said product.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Just because one doesn't own a product doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to offer their views on said product.
In this case it kinda does, especially because people like you are the exact reason why devs don't put the effort in for features like this.

Stallion Free said:
In this case it kinda does, especially because people like you are the exact reason why devs don't put the effort in for features like this.
Really? So why did Shogun 2 get the patch? Why was the original Crysis Dx10 even many still had XP? Whatabout graphic customization that consosts of more than a few preconfigured options? My fault also?not like countless other big and small releases offered more options at launch than C2. Oh wait.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:
Really? So why did Shogun 2 get the patch? Why was the original Crysis Dx10 even many still had XP? Whatabout graphic customization that consosts of more than a few preconfigured options? My fault also?not like countless other big and small releases offered more options at launch than C2. Oh wait.
This thread isn't about the graphics options it's about DX11.

Crysis had DX10 because they got Nvidia money.

The Omega Man said:
But physics were toned down, animations (picking up guns) were taken out and environment destructibility was also heavily toned down, I don't think these were design choices.

Animations were taken out in Warhead.

Environment destructability was toned down because there's no wooden houses in a megacity. You can't blow up city structures to pieces with a grenade or mow them down with punches like those half-assed buildings in Crysis 1. I remember a proper building in that game that wasn't destructible either - the one where you rescued that scientist girl. I barely saw trees to destroy too, because... it's a city.

Now it all comes down to whether you believe moving to NY was a design choice or an artistic choice.

To me, it was an artistic choice. Crytek are a bunch of people wanting to work in fresh, new places, just like almost every other developer out there. Like that IW fiasco with Activision trying to force a MW3 on them when they probably wanted to make a new game, with a completely different art style on a fantasy or sci-fi setting for example.

Crytek really don't deserve to work on jungle games for freaking 20 years in a row. It's like all of you bashing them expect and demand all of their games to be on jungles. They have their right to pursue new challenges and visions.

LovingSteam said:
I am a game enthusiast man. I don't have a 360 (anymore) but I still think its ridiculous that Microsoft is now including interactive ads in Kinect games. Just because one doesn't own a product doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to offer their views on said product.
it would be ridiculous if that is what the press release was talking about. but it wasn't.

and it's true. people refusing to let go of XP are as big a part of the reason why so few games support anything above DX9 as the success of the 360 is.

The best thing is we'll have the editor out by this summer and I expect people to port or remake Crysis 1 levels on CE3. I think maybe they could do it, or at least get the assets to use on the CE3. And I would really love to see it just for the excellent performance we'd probably get.

Edit: Should've probably edited my own post up there. Oh well.

Deadbeat

Banned
-bakalhau- said:
The best thing is we'll have the editor out by this summer and I expect people to port or remake Crysis 1 levels on CE3.
People were ripping weapon models from Crysis 1 and putting them into Crysis 2 before Crytek patched that out. So now everyone is waiting for the editor.

Keasar

Well, seeing the game in DirectX11-splendor sounds like valid reason to play through it again. Could work, and from the screenshots, looks nice too.

Raistlin

For everyone complaining that this should have come out at launch, I suspect it simply was a financial and release window issue. Sure you can blame EA for making them release early, but in reality they probably wouldn't have been able to do this (multi-platform engine) at all without their funding.

Crytek obviously had to hire a ton of people to develop a scalable, cross-platform engine at this level. Since 2 of the 3 platforms being targeted are sitting at basically DX 9 feature sets, obviously that had to be their initial concentration. While certainly the DX 11 work was somewhat in parallel (they didn't do all of this in a few months), realistically finishing the DX 9 path first made the most sense. Once it was complete, they'd obviously spent a SHIT TON of money on development already ... with zero returns. If they also felt the release timing was good then versus now ... the best course of action seems obvious.

I suppose they could have waited to release the PC version entirely, but since a majority of PC gamers aren't even at DX 11 cards yet ... why bother waiting? If they release another title this console gen, I really don't think we'll see the same issue. The engine is now much further along for DX 11, so concurrent 'full' releases probably won't be an issue. The basic problem here was they were in the midst of finishing an engine while trying to release content. We'd love to pretend companies have unlimited funding and can just work on stuff with unlimited time lines ... but that's simply not realistic.

SneakyStephan said:
Unless they store all their textures in one big encrypted file when you install it, why would it matter.
And if they do , then that is their fault.

I don't remember the huge fallout 3 texture packs etc needing a 64 bit file system.

I just read the post above, if the game is going to need 4 GB of ram (yeah, right) with this texture pack, that's still not an excuse for not having at least semi decent textures for the pc version.

The textures in the game at release are awful.
I suspect it's more of an issue of 32-bit OS's capping single application memory spaces to 2GB. It's possible this would put it over that. Also, it's quite possible this is more of a forward thinking move. Even if this particular game doesn't need it, they are in the midst of working on a scalable engine. It's quite possible their future 'high res texture packs' will require it, so it makes sense to get the engine ready now.

Could they have made better textures? Sure, but let's assume this does utilize more than 2GB (total game footprint) ... they would have had to make an extra tier of textures. Yes it would have been nice, but given what they already had on their plate ... it probably just wasn't in scope. As I said, I really don't think this will be an issue in the future ... just one of the things that happens when its the first title on an in-progress engine. Only so much can get done at once.

Crysis 2 was the best looking performing game I've seen in a good while. I'm excited to see how the framerate crippling DX11 effects handle with this game.

Raistlin said:
For everyone complaining that this should have come out at launch, I suspect it simply was a financial and release window issue. Sure you can blame EA for making them release early, but in reality they probably wouldn't have been able to do this (multi-platform engine) at all without their funding.

Crytek obviously had to hire a ton of people to develop a scalable, cross-platform engine at this level. Since 2 of the 3 platforms being targeted are sitting at basically DX 9 feature sets, obviously that had to be their initial concentration. While certainly the DX 11 work was somewhat in parallel (they didn't do all of this in a few months), realistically finishing the DX 9 path first made the most sense. Once it was complete, they'd obviously spent a SHIT TON of money on development already ... with zero returns. If they also felt the release timing was good then versus now ... the best course of action seems obvious.

I suppose they could have waited to release the PC version entirely, but since a majority of PC gamers aren't even at DX 11 cards yet ... why bother waiting? If they release another title this console gen, I really don't think we'll see the same issue. The engine is now much further along for DX 11, so concurrent 'full' releases probably won't be an issue. The basic problem here was they were in the midst of finishing an engine while trying to release content. We'd love to pretend companies have unlimited funding and can just work on stuff with unlimited time lines ... but that's simply not realistic.

I can't speak for others but one of the most frustrating factors about this whole thing was the lack of communication from Crytek leading up to release. Both with what type of graphic options there would be and the DX11 issue. Communication goes a long way to either push people the wrong way or to build patience. Crytek's lack of communication helped the issue snowball IMO.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Crysis 2 was the best looking performing game I've seen in a good while. I'm excited to see how the framerate crippling DX11 effects handle with this game.

I wasn't a fan of the game, but for the title being a console port, I was surprised at how good it looks on pc. I don't get how pc gamers can say this game looks like crap. Obviously, it didn't have the same impact that the original Crysis had when it first came out, but for it being a console port, I thought this game looked fabulous, almost next gen at times.

LovingSteam said:
I can't speak for others but one of the most frustrating factors about this whole thing was the lack of communication from Crytek leading up to release. Both with what type of graphic options there would be and the DX11 issue. Communication goes a long way to either push people the wrong way or to build patience. Crytek's lack of communication helped the issue snowball IMO.
Yep, the PR around the PC version pre-release was horrendous. So bad I was actually shocked when the game came out and looked as good as it did.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So the game disappears from Steam right before this announcement, huh?

Guessing it's not compatible with the Steam version and that's why Valve pulled the game.

Raistlin said:
I suspect it's more of an issue of 32-bit OS's capping single application memory spaces to 2GB. It's possible this would put it over that. Also, it's quite possible this is more of a forward thinking move. Even if this particular game doesn't need it, they are in the midst of working on a scalable engine. It's quite possible their future 'high res texture packs' will require it, so it makes sense to get the engine ready now.

Could they have made better textures? Sure, but let's assume this does utilize more than 2GB (total game footprint) ... they would have had to make an extra tier of textures. Yes it would have been nice, but given what they already had on their plate ... it probably just wasn't in scope. As I said, I really don't think this will be an issue in the future ... just one of the things that happens when its the first title on an in-progress engine. Only so much can get done at once.

Perhaps, but they should have put their money where their mouth was.
They were hyping the hell out of the game and making huge promises during development, and in the end they delivered very little on that at release.

I may be excited for the new engine features but I did not forget the watered down slow gameplay, worst in genre AI and worst in genre net code.

They get so so so many free passes.

Right now they only deserve credit for their engine (partial credit, fuck deferred rendering and fuck the TAA) and what other developers who buy the licence and the mod community might do with it.

The game itself was full of huge flaws and I didn't enjoy it at all.

Raistlin

LovingSteam said:
I didn't actually follow how the PR went ... but this doesn't entirely shock me. And I agree, stuff like this only causes problems.

I'm curious where the fault lies? As I said I'm not familiar where the chain broke in this particular case, but one thing I've seen common when big companies buy out little ones is they take over PR duties. As in, actively censor the company. So it's possible Crytek really couldn't say much and EA was the one that dropped the ball.

This can seem particularly disorienting when the smaller company was very vocal in their forums, etc. The sudden silence can really stick out to fans. For larger companies though, silence is pretty much the norm :\

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ph33nix said:
I got the expansion packs but nobody plays on any of the new maps. Silly me :(
Very few people play the multi in any capacity. I have no idea why they would release paid DLC map packs in those circumstances. They should be releasing SP challenge missions or free multi content.

stuminus3

Banned
Raistlin said:
I'm curious where the fault lies? As I said I'm not familiar where the chain broke in this particular case, but one thing I've seen common when big companies buy out little ones is they take over PR duties. As in, actively censor the company. So it's possible Crytek really couldn't say much and EA was the one that dropped the ball.
EA don't own Crytek, nor do they own Crysis. It's an EA Partners series.

Raistlin

stuminus3 said:
EA don't own Crytek, nor do they own Crysis. It's an EA Partners series.
In that case ... it looks like Crytek bit off more than they can chew.

Well unless part of the partners deal is EA handling all marketing.

markao

DonasaurusRex said:
heh shacknews links to this thread because of the gifs, good job Markao you saved them some time :p
For the enjoyment I get out of Garnett and friends podcast(s), I can live with that ;)

And Cevat's talks on Gamasutra: Crytek's Expensive 'Gift' To Its High-End Players

Yerli admitted that there was no profit to be made from the time and money put into the patch, as the game is unlikely to sell many more units based on the free upgrade.

"This is much more like a gift to the high-end community," said Yerli. "And I think gamers will appreciate that. It lifts up Crysis 2 and gives a sneak peak of how PC gaming will evolve in the future, if you support a high-end preference."

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
It is a wonderful gift. This whole thread has been people looking a gift horse in the mouth, and I simply don't understand why.

I can't wait for a free patch that makes the game look even better. I'm ready to play through the game a 3rd time!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
markao said:
For the enjoyment I get out of Garnett and friends podcast(s), I can live with that ;)

And Cervat's talks on Gamasutra: Crytek's Expensive 'Gift' To Its High-End Players
But GAF told me Cervat Yerli was a douche who sold out.

Jokes aside. It seems that EA pushed Crytek to launch Crysis 2 as early as it did. The PC version now has DX11 features, advanced graphic options and soon it will have a game editor. Why is this game not accepted as a worthy successor of the original game? It boggles my mind.

Zimbardo said:
i appreciate the patch ...no question about it.

better late than never.
I feel that you as many other posters have a very high sense of entitlement. Crytek announced the patch was coming during summer and it's going to hit the date. How is this late? I have been waiting for this patch to play the game, and it's been an easy 3 months.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I see that the expectations of some PC gamers have fallen far. Kinda pathetic. You really made it sound as though we're fortunate that the company who laid down the visual standard this generation is willing to add DX11 for free. As if! SMH.

Fortunately, some gamers still have high standards and many developers continue to meet those high standards. IF Crytek doesn't want Crysis 2 to become Unreal Tournament 3, all they ever had to do was embrace the community (see: Valve, Blizzard, etc) and continue to produce at the standard to which we have become accustomed to getting from them.

Edit: I see the number of apologists has increased dramatically. SMH.
Funny you mention Valve and Blizzard as, when it comes to delivering high-end visuals, Crysis 2 stomps any and everything those companies have released DX11 patch or no.

Alxjn

godhandiscen said:
But GAF told me Cervat Yerli was a douche who sold out.

Jokes aside. It seems that EA pushed Crytek to launch Crysis 2 as early as it did. The PC version now has DX11 features, advanced graphic options and soon it will have a game editor. Why is this game not accepted as a worthy successor of the original game? It boggles my mind.

The disappointment is a combination of a lot of things, but the main issue is that design wise Crysis 2 takes a few steps back from the original (that's not to say there weren't things that C2 did better than C1). Mainly, the sandboxes/action bubbles aren't nearly as big or interactive, cutting down on the freedom the original was loved for.

Personally, I like both games, but I hope with Crysis 3 they return to the larger sandboxes.

Nekrono

godhandiscen said:
I feel that you as many other posters have a very high sense of entitlement. Crytek announced the patch was coming during summer and it's going to hit the date. How is this late? I have been waiting for this patch to play the game, and it's been an easy 3 months.
It's late because it should've been there since day 1.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Nekrono said:
It's late because it should've been there since day 1.
It should? Things take a time to be built. It is obvious that the deadline EA impossed as a publisher was more rigorous this time. What can you do when your hands are tied to a deadline? I think Crytek did the right thing. They released the game with an ok amoutn of polish to meet its deadline and are now releasing all the bells and whistles to appeal enthusiasts.
Alxjn said:
The disappointment is a combination of a lot of things, but the main issue is that design wise Crysis 2 takes a few steps back from the original (that's not to say there weren't things that C2 did better than C1). Mainly, the sandboxes/action bubbles aren't nearly as big or interactive, cutting down on the freedom the original was loved for.

Personally, I like both games, but I hope with Crysis 3 they return to the larger sandboxes.
I agree with the gameplay dissapointment, however they created a decent multiplayer which is miles ahead of the crap they released with the first game.

So anyone who downloaded it from techpowerup is that the same update as the official one with Patch 1.9?

Is it worth getting those updates and using them now? Do they work?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ColonialRaptor said:
So anyone who downloaded it from techpowerup is that the same update as the official one with Patch 1.9?

Is it worth getting those updates and using them now? Do they work?

They dont work because they require the next patch to be installed first. The DX11 and high res texture pack wont install.

EatChildren said:
They dont work because they require the next patch to be installed first. The DX11 and high res texture pack wont install.

So is it worth downloading them still or will they be included in that patch anyway?

BTW: I got your messages on steam, but I closed steam and didn't realise there is no way to get your Steam history and had no way to contact you, then you were banned on here and I couldn't get in contact with you - do you still need help overclocking?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They're worth downloading I guess, but only because you'll need to download them eventually. The patch will roll out standard bug/balance updates, and then you'll need to download the DX11 and high resolution texture pack seperately. Might as well do it now.

And yeah, I got it :p. Managed to get my i5 2500K to 4.5Ghz. Yay!

EatChildren said:
They're worth downloading I guess, but only because you'll need to download them eventually. The patch will roll out standard bug/balance updates, and then you'll need to download the DX11 and high resolution texture pack seperately. Might as well do it now.

And yeah, I got it :p. Managed to get my i5 2500K to 4.5Ghz. Yay!

Cool, well that's good to know because I did and even though I've got a 200 Gig a month plan I still plough through it every month quite easily... I don't know how, but I always find myself capped at the end of the month.

Well done! a 2500K at 4.5 is a very good result! Did you have to put a lot of work into that or was it quite easy? Is that on air? Must be blazing quick!! Beautiful!

I've only got my 860 at 3.5 and I think my RAM is the limitation and I've got very expensive 2200 RAM that I think is shot, it won't clock over 1333, this is about as high as I can push things without causing instability... I really wanted this CPU to make it to 4.0 because 4 is the sweet spot for giving the current gfx cards the cpu grunt that they want... but anyway that's for another thread. Still, well done! I'm going to change / upgrade my RAM soon and then RMA my RAM to the US then sell it when I get the new stuff back... even still, it's a pain in the bot bot.

dark10x said:
Funny you mention Valve and Blizzard as, when it comes to delivering high-end visuals, Crysis 2 stomps any and everything those companies have released DX11 patch or no.

All the hubbub of DX11 and the games that used it thus far, Crysis 2 DX9 looks better than the games that used it as a bullet point and ran a crapton better as well. One of the most notable was Metro 2033 (great looking game too even with DX11 off) and DX11 mode just massacred the performance.

sp3000

HomerSimpson-Man said:
All the hubbub of DX11 and the games that used it thus far, Crysis 2 DX9 looks better than the games that used it as a bullet point and ran a crapton better as well. One of the most notable was Metro 2033 (great looking game too even with DX11 off) and DX11 mode just massacred the performance.

DX11 by itself is as much of a farce as DX10 was. It's all about how you implement it's features. Most developers like to simply paste them on.

I think the first real DX11 game will be BF3, especially since Frostbite 2 is built from the ground up to support it.

sp3000 said:
DX11 by itself is as much of a farce as DX10 was. It's all about how you implement it's features. Most developers like to simply paste them on.

I think the first real DX11 game will be BF3, especially since Frostbite 2 is built from the ground up to support it.

Yeah, I was on my Nvidia GTX 275 (DX10) just until this month when I finally upgraded, and it served me well, games didn't seem to feature DX11 as a must have similiar to how DX10 was treated like you said. For me mostly it was the performance gain when I upgraded my card to an unlocked ATI 6950-to-6970 than DX11 itself that the benefit.

Still I can't wait to try it BF3 my rig though looking at BF3, I think my PC nearly crapped it's pants thinking of running that thing on full, but it will be glorious.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry if this has been answered before, but what can I expect out of my Dx10 card? Only improved textures?

Could someone explain to me what's so great about tesselation?

No,no I get it technically. More polys, more details.
But:

I remember times when the industry was constantly trying to minimize the poly-count through tricks, for example using bumb maps for height, using normal maps to save height data of high-poly models into the textures and using low-poly models with near to none visual impact. Or even using Parallax Occlussion Mapping to fake height.

And now suddenly they want to render simple bumps with up to 5k polys?! Look at the comparision pic for Tesselation they posted. With all the movement and motion blur going on at that scene there is no way in hell someone would recognize the difference.

But 10 FPS less would be recognized! I still think that the visual gain/fps loss is just too little, not only in Crysis 2, but also in Stalker:CS, Metro 2033 or, AvP (the ones I played) to consider this technology useful.. at least yet.

Give me the high-res stuff and the better (or correct) lighting. Tesselation? No thank you.

GABDEG

DerZuhälter said:
Could someone explain to me what's so great about tesselation?

No,no I get it technically. More polys, more details.
But:

I remember times when the industry was constantly trying to minimize the poly-count through tricks, for example using bumb maps for height, using normal maps to save height data of high-poly models into the textures and using low-poly models with near to none visual impact. Or even using Parallax Occlussion Mapping to fake height.

And now suddenly they want to render simple bumps with up to 5k polys?! Look at the comparision pic for Tesselation they posted. With all the movement and motion blur going on at that scene there is no way in hell someone would recognize the difference.

But 10 FPS less would be recognized! I still think that the visual gain/fps loss is just too little, not only in Crysis 2, but also in Stalker:CS, Metro 2033 or, AvP (the ones I played) to consider this technology useful.. at least yet.

Give me the high-res stuff and the better (or correct) lighting. Tesselation? No thank you.

Tesselation only renders the detail you need. The closer you get the higher the poly count.
I'm all for more polys. Normal maps just doesn't have the same effect as actual geometry.

Actually I'm more excited about the real-time reflections they've implemented. That's a thing that went away for some reason over the course of this gen.

Lonely1 said:
Sorry if this has been answered before, but what can I expect out of my Dx10 card? Only improved textures?

The dx9 version gets the improved textures, contact shadows, and realtime local reflections, so at the very least you'll get these 3 enhancements.

But it's also possible several of the dx11 enhancements (other than tessellation of course) will work on your card.

Top Bottom