• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

It's not doing poorly overall, only in Non-English speaking markets, it's doing quite well in the US and the UK.

It's doing poorly.

You don't release another console to perform worse than your previous one,(unless your nintendo) and the Xbox one will fall behind the 360 this year, this is even before the 360 got the Kinect boost.

At best the Xbox One is looking like not breaking 50million WW, that much of a decline is the definition of poor.

jelly

Good post.

I am interested in your third point. Is there a company that has the VR capabilities that can compete with PSVR and Oculus? I'm not so sure. Microsoft cannot purchase Oculus because Facebook already claimed that prize of course. Valve also are on lock down.

I really can't see Microsoft competing here. They are always late and always rely on acquisitions to jump start their capabilities. Unfortunately, this time, I cannot see the availability of such requirements as they have either already been acquired or are its primary competitors.

It is of my opinion that Microsoft are forced to not compete, or hope that VR does not kick off. However, as you rightly suggest, the mindshare already belongs to Sony. I am reminded of their mobile phone attempts. To late to the party, too late in acquiring Nokia.

Would Nadella make the mistake that Ballmer did? I believe he won't even attempt it. Xbox One was supposed to synergise the entire Microsoft ecosystem into everyone's living room. It failed, despite tweets from Greenberg and Nelson suggesting otherwise and only implies they've not learned from any mistakes, thus ultimately the Xbox brand is lost.

Any other company by now would have thrown the towel. It is only due to the liquidity of Microsoft that it is able to fund this incredibly expensive, loss-making venture.

Oculus supports Windows which in turn means an Xbox console eventually, probably not the One but a successor which at that point in time, might be the mass appeal phase if VR takes off. Don't think this is a sector people will get left behind in, seems very open to anyone jumping in and not exactly secretive as they trailblaze.

Don't think the brand is lost, they just haven't got anywhere since 360 and Xbox on Windows, who knows. Playstation is definitely more popular but can't always be at the top but you also can't be completely idiotic like Microsoft in trying to get there.

Xbox still makes money, the hardware isn't a loss leader, software etc. makes good money. Could be better but not burning a hole in their pocket. If they actually cared about the rest of the world regardless of sales, that would be a start to getting somewhere but same old rubbish, Europe like football, get a FIFA deal, job done Phil. It's embarrassing. How about setting your language to something outside your region, you know like Windows! Making Halo 5 work in other countries...as a few posters conplain about in Australia and South America. Don't be complete fools with Indies, exclusives. Microsoft can fix many things that put them on a good road but it just doesn't happen.

Xbox still makes money, the hardware isn't a loss leader, software etc. makes good money. Could be better but not burning a hole in their pocket.

I really would like to know if this is true if we look at complete costs, including development (plus 180), marketing, staff cost, everything.

Finally some 2015 numbers for bone.

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
JP 0.06m

Total: ~14.2m

Keep giving... we need to found these 18m.

Yeah, there's no way that will reach 18 million sold it will bearly reach 16 million. That 20 million dream a lot of people have is dead. Is probably 18 million shipped...

AmFreak

Xbox still makes money, the hardware isn't a loss leader,

And the source for that is ...?
At it's first non-launch BF the AC-Bundle was discounted to $329 + shop discount (gift card, free live year - whatever).
This is for a console that launched (incl. Kinect) for $499(!) a year earlier.
And in germany e.g. you can get it since forever for ~300€.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Absolutely, but the Playstation brand itself is too entrenched in those markets, we saw how brand is more important than anything else last gen with the PS3, dominating NA and nowhere else is a more desirable position than 50/50 marketshare in NA and doing poorly everywhere else.

This had nothing to do with "brand" and more to do with what Sony was able to do with the PS3, compared to the Xbox 360.

Yeah, there's no way that will reach 18 million sold it will bearly reach 16 million. That 20 million dream a lot of people have is dead. Is probably 18 million shipped...

the 18 mio are doable I think.

so we have:
US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
JP 0.06m

missing 4 Million (all estimates, no proof):
Rest or Europe (Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe, Russia etc.) - I'd give them 1.5 mio. combined
Asia, Africa, maybe 0.5 mio. together
South America, Canada, maybe 2 mio.

A little less here, a little more there, but 18 mio. seems okay.

Yes 18m seems about doable. Thinking it'll not grow as much this year but without world numbers it's hard to guess.

Would be nice to know numbers for English language territories Canada, Ireland, Australia and of course New Zealand.

Raist

Banned
Canada
USA 11.1
Mexico
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Argentina

UK <2.5
Ireland
France 0.42 (2014)
Germany 0.6
Austria
Poland
Hungary
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Russia
Spain 0.08 (June 2015)
Portugal
Italy (market size similar to Spain)
Greece
Netherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Sweden
Norway
Denmark
Finland
Turkey

South Africa
UAE
Saudi Arabia
Israel
India

Japan 0.064
China
South Korea
Honkg Kong
Singapore
Taiwan
Australia
NZ

I doubt there's another 1.5M in Europe minus UK and DE by the way. These countries would be ~25% of the total european market and they're more similar to france and germany than the UK, or even worse, in terms of xbox market share.

I doubt there's another 1.5M in Europe minus UK and DE by the way. These countries would be ~25% of the total european market and they're more similar to france and germany than the UK, or even worse, in terms of xbox market share.
slavesnyder will remember this

Thank you

Rand6

Do we have PS4/XB1/WIIU hardware numbers in france?

FDC1

Awesome. I'm expecting XB1 and WiiU to have a better market share (something like 50/24/26 for PS4/XB1/WiiU)

PS4 already was over 50% when it hit 1m in France (1M PS4,500k WiiU, 330k X1). There is no reason to think its share is lower now

evilr

Banned
Isn't Germany supposed to be Xbox's #2 market in Europe?

#1 after 2017... Wait France pinned it. #2.

Xbox still makes money, the hardware isn't a loss leader, software etc. makes good money.

I can confidently say that the entire Xbox business has not made a penny since it became a product. It would be roughly minus $6 billion to date, and that's optimistic.

Xbox One reveal absolutely cemented that belief.. what with the TV TV TV FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL games TV TV TV.

Yes. In fact your entire post echos my own thoughts and analysis.

I was an 8 year Xbox Live Gold member up to that point. That Xbox One reveal will be discussed in business classes teaching how NOT to reveal a global product. Talking about an NFL deal to the world was hilarious.

DavidDesu

Even the Xbox 360 was easily beaten by the more expensive and later released PS3.

The brand Microsoft is quite toxic in most countries in Europe.

I don't think this can be underestimated. I liked the original Xbox and the 360 but their lack of traction in Japan sort of killed it for me. Ever since it feels like they have become more and more insular and the Xbox One reveal absolutely cemented that belief.. what with the TV TV TV FOOTBALL FOOTBALL FOOTBALL games TV TV TV.

It was an incredibly US centric reveal for a console hoping to target at a global market. There also comes the sort of hatred for corporate America and their PR driven bullshitting approach that instantly turns off a lot of people in places like Europe and the XB1 reveal was full of that crap. The authoritarian nature of always on Kinect and not allowing you to properly own and sell on your games was the last straw, and probably the most severe. This happened in a post Snowden world and the thought of Microsoft trojan horsing an advanced camera and microphone setup into everyone's living room, knowing full well the likes of the NSA would have access should they so desire... it was genuinely chilling. The fact you couldn't disconnect it and operate the console for arbitrary reasons (proven so as they reneged on that) really came across as a sinister move.

Much of the world kind of hates America (NOT Americans), the corporate profit driven system and how money talks... it puts a lot of folks off, and the Xbox became more and more an ambassador of that approach. The XB1 prematurely tried to capitalise on the goodwill the 360 had brought the Xbox brand by turning it into a money making machine... backfired didn't it? I don't really see how they can continue funding the Xbox brand if it's only real markets are the US and the UK. It's just not sustainable, eventually they won't have a broad enough range of games vs the all singing PS5 or whatever...

ethomaz

Banned
Does this means PS4 in UK >3.0m?
It guesses but yes.

In May 2015 the gap was 500k.

Unless Xbone outsold PS4 from May to Dec (we have report saying PS4 win by few k the Black Friday week) then Xbone is below 2.5m and PS4 is over 3.0m.

BTW both consoles are down YoY in UK.

Current global situation:
worldwidesalesps4xbond7r54.png

lol nice

PeregrinSe7en 8)

noobie

Banned

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
JP 0.06m

Here found 715 000 more. Gap is shrinking

It's here.
http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high...-console-la-plus-vendue-en-france-en-2015.php

Hardware (2015) LTD
3DS (686 000) 4 000 000
PS4 (1 000 000) 2 155 000
WiiU (228 000) 742 000
XBO (298 000) 715 000

Best-selling games: (with bundles)
1. FIFA 16 (PS4)
2. Call of Duty Black Ops 3 (PS4)
3. Star Wars Battlefront (PS4)
4. Splatoon (WiiU) 300k
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4)
6. FIFA 16 (PS3)
7. Animal Crossing HHD (3DS)
8. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
9. Tomodachi Life (3DS)
10. FIFA 16 (XBO) 211k

sublimit

Banned
I'm also surprised that the difference between the WiiU and the XB1 is so small both in Germany as well as in France.In a market (mainland Europe) that traditionally prefers Nintendo much more than MS it's a clear sign of how much Nintendo fucked up with the WiiU.

Don't forget Mexico.

During the PS360 days Mexico was totally an Xbox market by far. I do wonder what's the market share now with the more successful PS4 though. Even if X1 is still king here I'd very much like to know how much the PS4 closed that gap.

Sony fucked Mexico over for the longest time taking forever to take our market seriously. Micorosft rightfully made it theirs because they proved they gave a damn since early 2002 when they launched the OG Xbox. Playstation didn't came here officially until sometime in the middle of the PS3 lifecycle! (2009-2010)!

Death2494

US 11.1m
UK < 2.5m
DE 0.6m
JP 0.06m

Beautiful. Pretty much confirms what we have been saying. US+UK makes up 75% of xbox one install base. 13.6m/18m

Despite the fact that they are available in 42 markets, they are only relevant in 2. Tier 2 markets were Tier 2 for a reason.

Top Bottom