• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germany sales update: PS4 2.8 million, Wii U 690k, XB1 600k

RibMan

Good post.

I am interested in your third point. Is there a company that has the VR capabilities that can compete with PSVR and Oculus? I'm not so sure. Microsoft cannot purchase Oculus because Facebook already claimed that prize of course. Valve also are on lock down.

I really can't see Microsoft competing here. They are always late and always rely on acquisitions to jump start their capabilities. Unfortunately, this time, I cannot see the availability of such requirements as they have either already been acquired or are its primary competitors.

It is of my opinion that Microsoft are forced to not compete, or hope that VR does not kick off. However, as you rightly suggest, the mindshare already belongs to Sony. I am reminded of their mobile phone attempts. To late to the party, too late in acquiring Nokia.

Would Nadella make the mistake that Ballmer did? I believe he won't even attempt it. Xbox One was supposed to synergise the entire Microsoft ecosystem into everyone's living room. It failed, despite tweets from Greenberg and Nelson suggesting otherwise and only implies they've not learned from any mistakes, thus ultimately the Xbox brand is lost.

Any other company by now would have thrown the towel. It is only due to the liquidity of Microsoft that it is able to fund this incredibly expensive, loss-making venture.

It depends on what you mean by compete. Is there a company that can create another VR headset that works with the One? Absolutely. Is there a company that can create a VR headset of a similar spec as the PSVR and come in at a reasonable price point? Probably not.

Sony is a hardware company, so they have access to resources (most importantly, talent) that allows them to create hardware that is very well-engineered and reasonably priced. I think it's fair to say that on consoles, PSVR will not have any competition at launch. The Rift is compatible with the One, but it acts more as a pair of USB binoculars rather than an actual VR headset. In the same way PSVR poses no threat to the Rift on PC, the Rift poses no threat to PSVR on console.

With that in mind, VR on consoles is already being perceived as a Sony thing. The battle for mind share on consoles is done. What's important to remember is Microsoft are only screwed if VR takes off. Microsoft will have nothing to worry about if PSVR is overpriced and or fails to meet the hype. Microsoft will have everything to worry about if PSVR is affordable and is on the evening news, the morning news, little Timmy's Christmas list, automobile conventions, hospitals, etc. Unlike the last format wars (Bluray VS HD-DVD), Microsoft doesn't have a counter to PSVR. If Sony executes on the potential of VR, then the Xbox One is going to lose a tremendous amount of value. Essentially, the Xbox One will go from being a comparable console to a completely outdated machine. Keep in mind, Sony did fail to execute on the potential of Playroom, so succeeding with PSVR isn't exactly a sure thing.

As for what Nadella will or won't do, well, that's tough to predict. He's clearly focused on the cloud and SaaS. With the failure of Kinect and the Xbox One being significantly behind in hardware sales, I simply cannot see Nadella being quick to greenlight more super expensive hardware investments. I think he's a very smart man who can look at the numbers and realize the Xbox brand has become 'the other option' brand, so it just might not be worth it (for Microsoft) to keep fighting in the hardware space.

Mael

It depends on what you mean by compete. Is there a company that can create another VR headset that works with the One? Absolutely. Is there a company that can create a VR headset of a similar spec as the PSVR and come in at a reasonable price point? Probably not.

Sony is a hardware company, so they have access to resources (most importantly, talent) that allows them to create hardware that is very well-engineered and reasonably priced. I think it's fair to say that on consoles, PSVR will not have any competition at launch. The Rift is compatible with the One, but it acts more as a pair of USB binoculars rather than an actual VR headset. In the same way PSVR poses no threat to the Rift on PC, the Rift poses no threat to PSVR on console.

With that in mind, VR on consoles is already being perceived as a Sony thing. The battle for mind share on consoles is done. What's important to remember is Microsoft are only screwed if VR takes off. Microsoft will have nothing to worry about if PSVR is overpriced and or fails to meet the hype. Microsoft will have everything to worry about if PSVR is affordable and is on the evening news, the morning news, little Timmy's Christmas list, automobile conventions, hospitals, etc. Unlike the last format wars (Bluray VS HD-DVD), Microsoft doesn't have a counter to PSVR. If Sony executes on the potential of VR, then the Xbox One is going to lose a tremendous amount of value. Essentially, the Xbox One will go from being a comparable console to a completely outdated machine. Keep in mind, Sony did fail to execute on the potential of Playroom, so succeeding with PSVR isn't exactly a sure thing.

As for what Nadella will or won't do, well, that's tough to predict. He's clearly focused on the cloud and SaaS. With the failure of Kinect and the Xbox One being significantly behind in hardware sales, I simply cannot see Nadella being quick to greenlight more super expensive hardware investments. I think he's a very smart man who can look at the numbers and realize the Xbox brand has become 'the other option' brand, so it just might not be worth it (for Microsoft) to keep fighting in the hardware space.

Considering this thread I wouldn't say that MSFT have nothing to worry about even if VR is a bigger dud than the Virtual Boy...

Never thought that a PlayStation could sell better in Germany than in Japan. ^^

To be fair PS4 launched almost half year later in Japan compared to Europe. Launch aligned PS4 is probably doing around the same in Japan as it is in Germany. Of course still poor showing in Japan considering the historical sales for home consoles there.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Beautiful. Pretty much confirms what we have been saying. US+UK makes up 75% of xbox one install base. 13.6m/18m

Despite the fact that they are available in 42 markets, they are only relevant in 2. Tier 2 markets were Tier 2 for a reason.

It's incredible to see how Microsoft has completely wasted the success of the 360. Instead of competing with Sony for the global crown, they're back to where they came from with the first Xbox. Since you get a chance in this market only every five years, they're stuck where they are at least until 2018. And then the question should be: is there a point in competing in this market? It's not a core business for MS at all.

Xando

Not suprising.

Even though i have one (no one of my friends does) there really isn't much of a reason to own a XB1 here in germany.

PS4 is a beast!

Is this the aftermath of the initial XBO reveal?

Pretty sure. The Xbox 360 caught up with playstation and were trendsetters in many ways. Since then, MS did two 180's.

What the 360 had going for it was a better price point and an easier to develop for console, plus better online features. And Halo.

What I don't get is how they didn't expect their competition to learn from that AND that they went back on it! PS4 is now more powerful all around, is easier to develop for, has more or less caught up with features AND is still pushing out exclusives (inb4 PS4 has no games)

The XOne sacrificed so much that made the 360 ahead of its curve, and then put all their eggs in the Kinect/always online basket. A bold, but uninformed move. Smh.

The Xone's hardware is sturdy and reliable, though, I'll give them that.

Microsoft needs a CupHead Bundle. That game's nostalgia is beautiful.

It's so unique and pretty. I really love the style and concept.
But I'd bet there will be no bundle.
To be fair, Sony won't do one either if it was their game.

by the way: what does 2494 mean? April 2nd birthday?

Question Etho, is XB1 down YOY in France 2014 vs 2015?

Microsoft needs a CupHead Bundle. That game's nostalgia is beautiful.

As cool as Cuphead looks to be, I think it would be a terrible game to base a bundle around. It's not the kind of game with any sort of mass appeal, either graphically or gameplay wise. Ori for example is a lot better game to base a theoretical bundle around, it's graphics are going to appeal to modern gamers much more than Cuphead's would.

Wait, does all these sales means that Nintendo is 2nd ww or is US such a big market that xbone sales in us made up for the lack of sales ww. This feels like the PS2 gen where Nintendo and Microsoft are fighting for 2nd place. I am surprised Wiiu is not doing that worst outside US market when comparing e to xbone sales.

Wait, does all these sales means that Nintendo is 2nd ww or is US such a big market that xbone sales in us made up for the lack of sales ww. This feels like the PS2 gen where Nintendo and Microsoft are fighting for 2nd place. I am surprised Wiiu is not doing that worst outside US market when comparing e to xbone sales.

In the larger markets like the UK and US, the Wii U is dead last and a majority of Xbox One sales come from those regions. The race between them is much closer everywhere else WW.

Barring Japan of course.

ethomaz

Banned
Nintendo is 3rd WW by no less than 5m behind Xbone.
US & UK makes all difference... killing the 3m lead Wii U has in Japan.

Hyperbole

Banned
Its going to be really interesting to watch PSVR's impact or lack there of this coming year.
Does anyone think psvr is going to light the world on fire? It has a nice catalogue, but I don't see that many gamers plopping down $400 for it right now. I don't think it will bomb either. Slow and steady; that's the VR way.

Hard to quot multiple users on mobile but wow, make sense now. Even so Ms must have regretted not lunching xbone within a smaller time frame ww now..

Hard to quot multiple users on mobile but wow, make sense now. Even so Ms must have regretted not lunching xbone within a smaller time frame ww now..

Germany is a tier-1 market for Xbox. It launched day and date with US.

I think that speaks volumes in regards to how well it does in the tier-2 markets.

With the way the year is starting off, it may be even more lopsided this year. Here what last weeks best sellers looked like in Germany

01 (01) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III
02 (NE) [PS4] RESIDENT EVIL: ORIGINS COLLECTION
03 (03) [PS4] GRAND THEFT AUTO V
04 (NE) [PS4] LIFE IS STRANGE
05 (02) [PS4] FIFA 16
06 (71) [PS4] THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: TAMRIEL UNLIMITED
07 (05) [PS4] TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: SIEGE
08 (85) [PS4] LEGO JURASSIC WORLD
09 (__) [PS4] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE
10 (70) [PS4] THE CREW
11 (06) [PS4] STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT
12 (07) [PS4] NEED FOR SPEED
13 (15) [PS4] MADDEN NFL 16
14 (04) [PS4] FALLOUT 4
15 (__) [PS4] DISHONORED: DEFINITIVE EDITION
16 (__) [PS4] TONY HAWK'S PRO SKATER 5
17 (__) [PS4] DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION
18 (20) [PS4] JUST CAUSE 3
19 (__) [PS4] METRO REDUX

20 (08) [3DS] STORY OF SEASONS
21 (NE) [PC] LIFE IS STRANGE
22 (__) [PS4] WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER
23 (10) [PS4] MINECRAFT
24 (09) [PS4] ASSASSIN'S CREED: SYNDICATE
25 (__) [PS4] RISEN 3: TITAN LORDS
26 (14) [PS4] UNCHARTED: THE NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION
27 (NE) [PS4] NBA LIVE 16
28 (__) [PS4] EVOLVE

29 (17) [PC] THE SIMS 4
30 (22) [PS3] GRAND THEFT AUTO V

Unknown?

With the way the year is starting off, it may be even more lopsided this year. Here what last weeks best sellers looked like in Germany
Wow! PS4 really is expanding new markets everywhere. Glad Germany is catching on. PC and consoles are healthy there.

the xbone is beating wiiu, like ps4 is beating xbone. were looking at the least 40 million shipped by the xbone by the end of its cycle, vs wiiu 15 million shipped. remember wiiu had a year head start. so no it's not even close.

Why not? Because it's selling very poorly compared to PS4? Having presence on many markets is damn important too, despite losing. And it's selling at least some in Europe anyway.

"some"... isnt a whole lot. not enough to justify an effort being made by MS

and since you say being in many markets is important, look at how its going for the x1 in japan and other asian countries

the x1 is viewed as an america box so its easy to see why its getting beat down so hard

"some"... isnt a whole lot. not enough to justify an effort being made by MS

and since you say being in many markets is important, look at how its going for the x1 in japan and other asian countries

the x1 is viewed as an america box so its easy to see why its getting beat down so hard
What amount they should sell to justify the effort? Sounds more like a wish than actual concern on MS's tactics.

As I said, presence is important, even though they sell very poorly in Asia for example.

It's true they need to have miracle to make next Xbox, if there is one, more relevant outside US.

Top Bottom