• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours (3/30/07)

YYZ

BrodiemanTTR said:
Didn't you just laugh at an AIDS joke in this episode?
They were more making fun of Brian Hastings if you completely forgot what the context of the joke was.

And my point about Miyamoto was that they said he's "involved" in this Olympics game, but WTF does that mean? They said he was "involved" in this other game (forget the name) that was crap.

Wiitard

Banned
YYZ said:
They were more making fun of Brian Hastings if you completely forgot what the context of the joke was.

And my point about Miyamoto was that they said he's "involved" in this Olympics game, but WTF does that mean? They said he was "involved" in this other game (forget the name) that was crap.

I would like to know that too.

If it's proven that "real games" will sell on the Wii, then I think ignoring it will really be ludicrous. As long as the big sellers are stuff like Wii Sports and WarioWare, then it isn't really a game console so much as an entertainment device like a Tamagotchi.

Super Paper Mario will be the first real test.

farnham

Banned
YYZ said:

but then again.. miyamoto worked on that other game (dunno which it is but whatever) which was awesome

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Green Shinobi said:
If it's proven that "real games" will sell on the Wii, then I think ignoring it will really be ludicrous. As long as the big sellers are stuff like Wii Sports and WarioWare, then it isn't really a game console so much as an entertainment device like a Tamagotchi.

Ummm Zelda??????

Green Shinobi said:

I'd say a non-Nintendo real game would be the first real test.

farnham

Banned
krypt0nian said:
I'd say a non-Nintendo real game would be the first real test.
i think red steel is a real game.. not that great.. but it is a game.. somehow.. well that sold quite good..

super monkey ball is a realgame.. that one sold good..

Wiitard

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

I actually think that Wii Sport is more of a game (if we define game a primarily interactive experience) then Zelda, but I would not claim my opinion to be the cathegorical and self-evident thruth.

VALIS

krypt0nian said:
1up yours should piss on the Nintendo faithful every show. It makes for great GAF threads. :lol

I had the same thought. This is why Drinky Crow was the World's Greatest Troll. Well, because he's funny and writes well, but also because the target audience couldn't possibly have been any more accommodating. Buncha booger flingin' manbabies.

farnham said:
i think red steel is a real game.. not that great.. but it is a game.. somehow.. well that sold quite good..

Well then I'm wrong, which means that 1up's ignoring the Wii looks even more ludicrous.

Were any of those games million sellers though?

Wiitard

Banned
VALIS said:
I had the same thought. This is why Drinky Crow was the World's Greatest Troll. Well, because he's funny and writes well, but also because the target audience couldn't possibly have been any more accommodating. Buncha booger flingin' manbabies.

I see you aspire to become like your master, when you grow up one day.

farnham

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Well then I'm wrong, which means that 1up's ignoring the Wii looks even more ludicrous.

Were any of those games million sellers though?
not quite yet.. but they are selling steadily..

also trauma center sold better on the wii

farnham said:

Let's look past launch titles which usually sell well regardless.

FartOfWar said:
Now, as much as I like minigames, and as eager as I am to buy a Wii when some store wants to sell me one without making me wait outside for it at 6am, that's not to say that I think an Olympics game with Sonic and Mario in it calls for crapping in your pants. Fun? Likely so? History making, monumental, megaton? Post some more about that so I have a Hero of the Web to read next week.

Honestly, you could probably have a 30 minute segment of HoTW just reading some of the posts in gaf's weekly edition of "LETS BITCH THAT LUKE SMITH/1UP DOESN'T SHARE OUR OPINION ON THE Wii" thread. I don't know if it can top people "marrying" videogame characters but hey, you never know. :lol

Anyways what's wrong with gamers having opinions on games or the future or WHATEVER? Even if they are gaming journalists, I think what really seperates 1up from the pack is that they seem to be actual gaming enthusiasts giving their opinion on the subject matter. I mean excuse some of us if we aren't masturbating to Sonic and Mario in the olympics. I myself have always wondered through the ages, "Who would win in a swimming heat between these two?" Now I'll get that answer, super happy about that. It will probably be a fun game but no one has to drink the koolaid at this stage.

Shawn's mention of an epic masterpiece game involving both worlds would be the ideal game to many, yet some of you would run into this thread and go /nerd voice "WTF DUDE ITS ALL ABOUT COMPETING FOR A GOLD MEDAL IN LUNGING BETWEEN LUIGI AND TAILS." Its absolutely ridiculous how each week the Nintendo religious come in here and cry that 1up doesn't slobber over the wii, or predict total nintendo domination by 2009. They have there opinions, you don't like them? Don't listen to them.

Great show as always, and Shawn you are the f'n man. HoTW's triumphant return, the motion sensing dot bit, and griefing all in one week? You now have my workplace thinking i'm a crazy dude who bursts into crying fits of laughter at random parts of the day. Consistently funny dude, Can't wait to see what shit you pull up from the dredges of the web on Tuesday. :lol

Shawn can't be a regular. It's unfortunate, but the usual lineup works too well. I'm sure we all have people we'd pick and leave out of the show, but why change something that's proven to work?

VALIS

TheGreatDave said:
Shawn can't be a regular.

Why can't he? It'd be good to have some PC perspective on the "flagship podcast." Not to mention he's just good at it. The people demand it!

VALIS said:
Why can't he? It'd be good to have some PC perspective on the "flagship podcast." Not to mention he's just good at it. The people demand it!

I'm a fan of his work; I subscribed to GFW's podcast based almost completely off the back of it. But the current 1Up Yours lineup is just tried and tested, and keeping him on would include booting somebody else off. And I don't know who that could be.

Drewsy

Banned
I agree, the usual lineup works too well to just add someone in. But I have to say, the only time during the podcast when I thought that I would rather have had Garnett and Shane there instead of Shaun was during the GTA IV trailer discussion, but it's good to have a break every once in awhile.

pr0cs

Heh, as soon I heard the Nintendo comments I knew the zealots would be out in full force defending the realm. Logged onto GAF and blammo, saw the 1up Yours thread already > 6 pages... voila!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheGreatDave said:
I'm a fan of his work; I subscribed to GFW's podcast based almost completely off the back of it. But the current 1Up Yours lineup is just tried and tested, and keeping him on would include booting somebody else off. And I don't know who that could be.

Why not have a five person crew? Could work.

I've always been an advocate of "add, not replace" when it comes to this ordeal...but I don't care either way. I can always (and do always) listen to GFW.

yoopoo

Banned
This thread is proof that all Nintnedo obsessed ****tards should be deleted from this forum.

It'll get rid of idiots on both sides.

Brak

VALIS said:
DQ IX to DS.

I have never been more embarrassed for other people in my whole life.

Fanboys are fanboys, period.

Hy_

Great show! I'm so pumped for Warhawk and GTA IV now. Luke was saying something about IV being drastically different, while still maintaining the core gameplay. Wonder if RockStar will pull a RE4 out of their ass.

Also, love seeing the Nintendo fans defending the realm. It's like the Wii is the light at the end of the tunnel they haven't seen in 10 years and anyone who disagrees will burn.

Maridia

yoopoo said:
This thread is proof that all Nintnedo obsessed ****tards should be deleted from this forum.

It'll get rid of idiots on both sides.

...and reduce the membership by 75%, dealing a lethal blow to ad revenue. Good thought, though!

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Why not have a five person crew? Could work.

I've always been an advocate of "add, not replace" when it comes to this ordeal...but I don't care either way. I can always (and do always) listen to GFW.

Well, it could work, who knows? It just seems that 4 seems to be the magic number on most podcasts.

TDG

Banned
Maridia said:
...and reduce the membership by 75%, dealing a lethal blow to ad revenue. Good thought, though!
Yeah, GAF frustrates me sometimes, but I wouldn't want it to collapse.

Maridia

the disgruntled gamer said:
Yeah, GAF frustrates me sometimes, but I wouldn't want it to collapse.

Personally, in the event of GAFpocalypse, my productivity would go through the roof. It'd be a bittersweet roof, but after a couple weeks of postpartem depression, I'd probably be better off.

deadbeef

VALIS said:

IAWTP. It is supposed to be the flagship podcast. Why aren't PC games represented at all? Plus, the man is hilarious, and damn good at breaking down a game and analyzing it.

tanod

when is my burrito
Lessons in fanboy logic:

1UP Yours talks about Wii or DS: "1UP NEVER TALKS ABOUT NINTENDO SYSTEMS! TEH BIAS"

1UP Yours doesn't talk about Wii or DS: "1UP NEVER TALKS ABOUT NINTENDO SYSTEMS! TEH BIAS"

1UP Yours talks about Insomniac's CCO's statements about the Wii: "ZOMG, 1UP ALWAYS SHITS ON THE WII AND DS EVERY WEEK!! - TEH BIAS"

For awhile I thought Shawn might not have been a good choice for a replacement this episode since he was surprisingly quiet at first. Things kicked into gear though and I was LMAO in no time. Wreck shit with math = classic Shawn, classic :lol

Excellent choice in cast members this week. The only other person I wished you could have had on besides the guys MIA and the ones on the show would be Milky or Seanbaby.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Like ****ing clockwork. I wonder if the nfans hold clan meetings somewhere. Does GAF have a secret board glitzed out with Princess Peach hentai. Seriously wtf. GWARG WII. WGARG SALES. GWARGSGS PROTECT HONOR

Top Bottom