• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Irish said:
I refuse to allow Free Agents to leave before Up All Night. It's a shame GAF has to be on the wrong comedy train most of the time. FA > UAN. Outsourced > P&R. :D

I'm not even starting any dramas until I know they are going to stick around for a while. Not getting my heart broken this year, NBC/Fox.

:-( Now im reminded that Outsourced didnt come back. It got a lot of hate, but i genuinely thought it was a great series, outside of the first couple awkward episodes.

bathala

Banned
just saw the Playboy Club cancelled on Yahoo.

LOL yah. heads will role.

Charlie's Angel. those fairy tale series from ABC

ivysaur12

Banned
Irish said:
I refuse to allow Free Agents to leave before Up All Night. It's a shame GAF has to be on the wrong comedy train most of the time. FA > UAN. Outsourced > P&R. :D

I'm not even starting any dramas until I know they are going to stick around for a while. Not getting my heart broken this year, NBC/Fox.

What the fuck are you smoking.

dvdjamm

Irish said:
Outsourced > P&R. :D

daily_gifdump_31_03.gif

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
bathala said:
just saw the Playboy Club cancelled on Yahoo.

LOL yah. heads will role.

Charlie's Angel. those fairy tale series from ABC

The ghost of Aaron Sorkin will keep it on the air for the 13 episode run.

ivysaur12

Banned
So after last night, it looks like the CW has tumbled further than what we thought possible. .6s for both of their shows? Holy. Shit.

In other news, Body of Proof went up. This bothers me.

Recon

Banned
Ashhong said:
Bullshit. She has had multiple nude roles in movies, why stop now???? SHE CANT STOP!

Wait. Outsourced > Parks? You must be trolling holy shit.

I agree that is an odd ranking, but Outsourced was better than most people gave it credit for.

Sober

Irish said:

I'm so confused why Whitney is getting a full order (probably cheaper to produce I guess) when it isn't even funny at all. I'll give it another week but the second episode did not make me laugh a bit. Free Agents is pretty good but it probably should've been in Whitney's timeslot instead since out of all the Thursday comedies on NBC, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Ashhong

ReconYoda said:
I agree that is an odd ranking, but Outsourced was better than most people gave it credit for.

Yea it gave me a chuckle. I definitely wouldn't mind watching more of it. I had no idea it was cancelled. The aussie girl was hot.

The CW is just terrible...they need to fix that shit.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
2 Broke Girls gets full season order.

That takes care of the four obvious ones. Now it'll be interesting.

2 Broke Girls was a safe bet. And I agree about the other shows: Exciting.

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
2 Broke Girls was a safe bet. And I agree about the other shows: Exciting.

After the third week we should be getting more data. If we don't see huge drops, we'll probably see Revenge tomorrow or next Thursday.

ivysaur12 said:
2 Broke Girls gets full season order.

That takes care of the four obvious ones. Now it'll be interesting.

Congrats to Whitney Cummings I suppose. Two really lazy shows to get picked up in one season.

Also, congrats to Kat Denning's breasts, I suppose. Hopefully this won't prevent her from whipping them out in a movie for an Oscar or something.

ivysaur12

Banned
THERE ARE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE AGES 18-49 WATCHING HARRY'S LAW THAN 90210, RINGER, OR NIKITA.

What the fuck, the CW.

DavieC726

Can someone explain to me how the hell Whitney got a full season order? Is it because they wanted to give it more of a chance after they wasted sooo much promotion on it? I couldn't even sit through that show.

ivysaur12

Banned
DavieC726 said:
Can someone explain to me how the hell Whitney got a full season order? Is it because they wanted to give it more of a chance after they wasted sooo much promotion on it? I couldn't even sit through that show.

Because it's been doing (relatively) well in its first two outings. It has one of the best slots on their lineup, though.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
THERE ARE DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE AGES 18-49 WATCHING HARRY'S LAW THAN 90210, RINGER, OR NIKITA.

What the fuck, the CW.

Wait until Yugi-Oh Zexal premeres. Then you will say holy shit.

ivysaur12 said:

What the fuck, the CW.

Completely fucking pathetic. Time to pull the plug on the CW.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Completely fucking pathetic. Time to pull the plug on the CW.

I just don't get it. It's like no one is watching their shows. Literally. Almost no one. How is that possible? They're fifth on my channels. Fifth. They're below FOX.

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I just don't get it. It's like no one is watching their shows. Literally. Almost no one. How is that possible? They're fifth on my channels. Fifth. They're below FOX.

At this point they are screwed until midseason.

Enosh

ivysaur12 said:

What the fuck US viewers?
fixed
Ringer and Nikita are both great shows, with from what I understand a decent amount of promotion, can't blame anyone other than the people watching
CW being seen as a channel for 16 year old girls probably doesn't help

cory.

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I wonder if their syndicated lineup does better than original programming in some markets.

Novid said:
At this point they are screwed until midseason.
Personally, I don't even see how midseason shakes out much better for them. I think their numbers have fallen too far, they're in a total death spiral.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Irish said:

What is this crap?

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
It does, at least in major markets. They get some decent syndications, too.

Thats where you make your big bucks. In Syndication. Animation did that too for a while... Until the Government got in it. Years and Years ago animation was the backbone of the whole Syndication franchise. This changed when Oprah started growing.

Zoe

The WB and UPN used to be all about pre-prime time cartoons and sitcoms when I was growing up :(

ivysaur12

Banned
Novid said:
Thats where you make your big bucks. In Syndication. Animation did that too for a while... Until the Government got in it. Years and Years ago animation was the backbone of the whole Syndication franchise. This changed when Oprah started growing.

Which will keep them afloat for a little while.

Dawn Ostroff really ran The CW into the ground. She thought she could run a network solely based on females heavy shows, especially after the minor success of Gossip Girl.

Pushed out Smackdown, then approved 90210. 90210 appeared to do decently, so that MUST mean the world also wants a new Melrose Place!

And how the hell is One Tree Hill still on?

Hobbun

So if the CW went away, what about the current shows?

Could they find a new home, or would they most likely die with the network? There are shows I enjoy on the CW, would hate for them just to disappear.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ConfusingJazz said:
And how the hell is One Tree Hill still on?

Doesn't it have pretty steady ratings? Certainly on the lower side of things, I'm sure, since it's pretty much always been on the bubble.

Also, crazy ass fans might have something to do with it. ;p

Harrys law is so awesome. I love this show. Also I really would like an answer to some my questions in post 552. I tried researching a little but I didn't really find anything.

ivysaur12

Banned
SteveWinwood said:
Harrys law is so awesome. I love this show. Also I really would like an answer to some my questions in post 552. I tried researching a little but I didn't really find anything.

To be fair, I don't think anyone on TV-GAF really watches Harry's Law and keeps up with its ratings to answer your question fully.

In general, serialized storytelling tends to alienate new viewers but should be able to (theoretically) keep a more stable audience. Though that only matters if the serialized storytelling is well done. Serialized television shows also tend to attract greater word-of-mouth, especially with younger crowds.

However, Harry's Law is not for a younger crowd. At all. I'm actually surprised there are people under 50 who watch it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Something I just realized... none of the ABC comedies are produced by ABC.

The Middle = WB
Suburgatory = WB
Modern Family = 20th Fox
Happy Endings = Sony

dabig2

Zoe said:
The WB and UPN used to be all about pre-prime time cartoons and sitcoms when I was growing up :(

WB and UPN during the 90s was awesome with all the black sitcoms they had. Not to mention wrassling.

Those were the good ol days.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RatskyWatsky said:
Doesn't it have pretty steady ratings? Certainly on the lower side of things, I'm sure, since it's pretty much always been on the bubble.

Also, crazy ass fans might have something to do with it. ;p

Also this dude?

In any case, the only CW/WB show that I don't watch but would care to do if it was on fucking Hulu instead of their shitty streaming website is Supernatural, and that's mostly because Jensen Ackles.

ivysaur12

Banned
TheSeks said:
Also this dude?

In any case, the only CW/WB show that I don't watch but would care to do if it was on fucking Hulu instead of their shitty streaming website is Supernatural, and that's mostly because Jensen Ackles.

The worst streaming client I've seen in a while. Especially for such a younger skewing network.

Takao

Banned
Hobbun said:
So if the CW went away, what about the current shows?

Could they find a new home, or would they most likely die with the network? There are shows I enjoy on the CW, would hate for them just to disappear.

Most would die. One or two might find their way to a cable network.

ivysaur12 said:
To be fair, I don't think anyone on TV-GAF really watches Harry's Law and keeps up with its ratings to answer your question fully.

In general, serialized storytelling tends to alienate new viewers but should be able to (theoretically) keep a more stable audience. Though that only matters if the serialized storytelling is well done. Serialized television shows also tend to attract greater word-of-mouth, especially with younger crowds.

However, Harry's Law is not for a younger crowd. At all. I'm actually surprised there are people under 50 who watch it.
Oh yeah, I was just looking for it in theoretical this is how its supposed to work terms, not specially for Harry's Law's case. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. Also your comments make me fear that the show might not be around for much longer. I have no clue how it got a second season. But I guess I'm fine with being the one person on gaf who enjoys it while it lasts.

Icicle

Ivysaur, how are you so knowledgeable about all this stuff? Another Gaffer who happens who enjoy the ratings game AND who happens to be both hot and preferential to the best starting Pokemon... when can we get married?

Ashhong

if the CW just died, what the fuck would go in its channel slot? would I suddenly have an empty channel 5? also, vampire diaries is their second strongest show, almost neck and neck with supernatural. sure the rest of their shows suck, but these are fantastic shows that need viewers.

Ashhong said:
if the CW just died, what the fuck would go in its channel slot? would I suddenly have an empty channel 5? also, vampire diaries is their second strongest show, almost neck and neck with supernatural. sure the rest of their shows suck, but these are fantastic shows that need viewers.

Hey! Nikita doesn't completely suck. It only mostly sucks, which is partly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom