• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Icicle said:
Ivysaur, how are you so knowledgeable about all this stuff? Another Gaffer who happens who enjoy the ratings game AND who happens to be both hot and preferential to the best starting Pokemon... when can we get married?

If you look anything like your avatar, you're not his type ;)

Icicle

Top Model is godly. If the Simpsons could possibly get its own channel with 23 seasons of half hour episodes, then Top Model can surely do the same with 17 seasons of hour-long ones!

I can only dream of a world where I can smize with Tyra at any hour of the day.

Stumpokapow said:
If you look anything like your avatar, you're not his type ;)

Sasha Grey is amazing...I would never dare blemish her face with a "GG" symbol. ;)

Takao

Banned
Ashhong said:
if the CW just died, what the fuck would go in its channel slot? would I suddenly have an empty channel 5? also, vampire diaries is their second strongest show, almost neck and neck with supernatural. sure the rest of their shows suck, but these are fantastic shows that need viewers.

The affiliates would either find a new network (likely one of those non-commitment brands like MyTV or ThisTV or something), or go indie. You'd just stop seeing CW branding.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ashhong said:
if the CW just died, what the fuck would go in its channel slot?

Nothing. CW/WB hasn't been a "channel" at least on cable around here for a long while. It affiliates with a local network or something for a certain time block to show their shows for about 3-4 hours.

He hasn't been on the show in years.

Two years isn't too long a time, didn't he also come back this year/season?

Takao

Banned
I wonder what will happen to 4Kids Entertainment (the company that runs their Saturday morning block) if the CW goes bust. Assuming WB and CBS just leave affiliates to fend for themselves (rather than set up another replacement), where does that leave them? They've bought CW airtime until like 2016, lol. What's worse is that 4Kids filed for Chapter 11 this year, and might lose their cash cow. Does WB and CBS pay them back for the remaining years?

ivysaur12

Banned
Icicle said:
Ivysaur, how are you so knowledgeable about all this stuff? Another Gaffer who happens who enjoy the ratings game AND who happens to be both hot and preferential to the best starting Pokemon... when can we get married?

I wanted to get into television since college. First job interning on a TV show was on the bubble show that got canceled. Now I read scripts among other small jobs.

Icicle

ivysaur12 said:
I wanted to get into television since college. First job interning on a TV show was on the bubble show that got canceled. Now I read scripts among other small jobs.

That's totally cool. I guess I'm sort of in the same boat as you, knowing that I wanted to work in entertainment. But over the years, the diversification of media I felt has decreased the significance of television (as much as I love it!), and so I'm leaning towards games/social stuff now, which are still growing. Living in San Francisco/Silicon Valley, this works out pretty well.

But if I ever got a shot to be a writer or something in LA, I would do it in an instant. Maybe I've just talked myself down. =(

ivysaur12

Banned
Icicle said:
That's totally cool. I guess I'm sort of in the same boat as you, knowing that I wanted to work in entertainment. But over the years, the diversification of media I felt has decreased the significance of television (as much as I love it!), and so I'm leaning towards games/social stuff now, which are still growing. Living in San Francisco/Silicon Valley, this works out pretty well.

But if I ever got a shot to be a writer or something in LA, I would do it in an instant. Maybe I've just talked myself down. =(

Game writers get paid shit, though. If you can get on a moderately successful TV show (as in, one that gets syndicated at even the most basic level), you can make bank.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
TheSeks said:
Two years isn't too long a time, didn't he also come back this year/season?

He's coming back for the final season, which starts next year, although I don't think he'll be a regular. Hopefully not, anyway.

Icicle

ivysaur12 said:
Game writers get paid shit, though. If you can get on a moderately successful TV show (as in, one that gets syndicated at even the most basic level), you can make bank.

Oh, I don't want to be a game writer. I imagine myself being in marketing (my major). I enjoy sales data, ratings, rankings, and all that sort of information and would love to try improving numbers through various campaigns.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Icicle said:
Oh, I don't want to be a game writer. I imagine myself being in marketing (my major). I enjoy sales data, ratings, rankings, and all that sort of information and would love to try improving numbers through various campaigns.
Heh, I'm in the same boat, but I lean more towards TV/film. How does one get work reading scripts? You need experience or background work for that?

Replicant

ivysaur12 said:
So after last night, it looks like the CW has tumbled further than what we thought possible. .6s for both of their shows? Holy. Shit.

I'm hoping this means Supernatural and Nikita are okay. If they can get the same rating on Friday night death slots as two shows screened on Tuesday then their rating is not as bad in comparison.

cory.

Banned
Icicle said:
back. off.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, I'm not getting married in California anytime soon.

Which is actually driving some gay creative to New York. Not too many people in the LA-entertainment industry are thrilled. And by not thrilled and I mean furious.

Slayven

ivysaur12 said:
To be fair, I don't think anyone on TV-GAF really watches Harry's Law and keeps up with its ratings to answer your question fully.

In general, serialized storytelling tends to alienate new viewers but should be able to (theoretically) keep a more stable audience. Though that only matters if the serialized storytelling is well done. Serialized television shows also tend to attract greater word-of-mouth, especially with younger crowds.

However, Harry's Law is not for a younger crowd. At all. I'm actually surprised there are people under 50 who watch it.
I am under 50 and I liked it last season. But the retool turned me off.

Like I said earlier I don't know how much, if any, is a retool. Boston legal would seemingly at random drop storylines and characters at a drop of a hat. If you looked at it as a whole it seemed really schizophrenic. I've noticed much less of that on Harrys. Might be this being similar to that and just manifesting at the season break. Or it could be a retool. I honestly have no idea.

Also I'm much younger than 50 and I don't watch ncis.

Slayven

SteveWinwood said:
Like I said earlier I don't know how much, if any, is a retool. Boston legal would seemingly at random drop storylines and characters at a drop of a hat. If you looked at it as a whole it seemed really schizophrenic. I've noticed much less of that on Harrys. Might be this being similar to that and just manifesting at the season break. Or it could be a retool. I honestly have no idea.
What ever it is I done with it. I always sided more with the old folks in my primetime tv viewing. I was the only kid psyched about new seasons of Northern Exposure and Picket Fences.

Slayven said:
What ever it is I done with it. I always sided more with the old folks in my primetime tv viewing. I was the only kid psyched about new seasons of Northern Exposure and Picket Fences.
But those aren't old people shows. Those were awesome shows. Old people shows are Law & Order and NCIS.

ivysaur12

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Heh, I'm in the same boat, but I lean more towards TV/film. How does one get work reading scripts? You need experience or background work for that?

Once you get an interview, it's very comparable to other industries. What did you study in school, where did you go, how did you do, what jobs have you done in the past, what can you bring to our company. Getting there is who you know. Which makes the city pretty fucking weird because there are a lot of people who are just using other people to get ahead. Finding a genuine friend from someone you meet on a job is tough.

EDIT: Deleting that. Just realizing that's significantly more about my personal life than I ever wanted to share on GAF.

DavieC726

GOOD GRIEF! Trying to find out why people hate it so much, i finally tried out H8R ........wheres the freakin cancelation button already?

Novid

Banned
ConfusingJazz said:
Dawn Ostroff really ran The CW into the ground. She thought she could run a network solely based on females heavy shows, especially after the minor success of Gossip Girl.

Pushed out Smackdown, then approved 90210. 90210 appeared to do decently, so that MUST mean the world also wants a new Melrose Place!

And how the hell is One Tree Hill still on?

She didnt put the right female skewing shows in. That and she had a hand in defunding Dragon Knight leading for its last episode not being shown.

At this point - they could make way better ratings being like TV Tokyo is.

Takao

Banned
Novid said:
She didnt put the right female skewing shows in. That and she had a hand in defunding Dragon Knight leading for its last episode not being shown.

At this point - they could make way better ratings being like TV Tokyo is.

Did The CW actually pay for Dragon Knight? I was under the impression it was entirely Adness (maybe Bandai too).

And what do you mean by programming the channel like TV Tokyo? Do you mean putting anime everywhere? That wouldn't help, haha.

Though I am a bit disappointed The CW didn't bother with the Supernatural Anime series, since I think that would've been a cool introduction to people.

SteveWinwood said:

Also I'm much younger than 50 and I don't watch ncis.

Does the over 50 reputation supposedly extend to Boston Legal? I find that weird, because the show was heavily watched by people I knew in high school. I could see why Harry's Law is maybe different, as there's no Alan Shore-Denny Crane/Spader-Kirk big-personality, man-child co-dependent relationship in the middle, but BL? Nay, good sir. Nay.

Now, I kinda want to try out Harry's Law, even if the reviews have been mostly brutal. There does seem to be some sort of ongoing "not another legal dramedy" prejudice whenever Kelley's name pops up in the credits, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
The X-Factor = 3.9
Raising Hope = 2.3

The Middle = 2.7
Suburgatory = 3.0
Modern Family = 5.6
Happy Endings = 2.9

Survivor = 3.1
Criminal Minds = 3.8
CSI = 2.9

Up All Night = 2.2
Free Agents = 1.0
Harry's Law = 1.2
Law & Order: SVU = 2.1

H8R = 0.4
America's Next Top Model = 0.8

Thoughts: Great for The X-Factor. Good for The Middle and Suburgatory. Amazing for Modern Family. Happy Endings is now above where Cougar Town was last year (though Modern Family is 0.8 up in the ratings, but with zeitgeist shows such as MF that rarely matters).

Great for Up All Night. lol for the rest of NBC. Survivor is dying.

Slayven

ivysaur12 said:
The X-Factor = 3.9
Raising Hope = 2.3

The Middle = 2.7
Suburgatory = 3.0
Modern Family = 5.6
Happy Endings = 2.9

Survivor = 3.1
Criminal Minds = 3.8
CSI = 2.9

Up All Night = 2.2
Free Agents = 1.0
Harry's Law = 1.2
Law & Order: SVU = 2.1

H8R = 0.4
America's Next Top Model = 0.8
Damn at the CW. I wonder if stuff like Ion and other super local affiliates are beating it?

dead souls said:
It's time to pull Free Agents.

I got through the first ep. It's not a bad show, just boring as hell.

ivysaur12

Banned
Now into the third week, these are about the levels you should expect from shows until midseason. You can already see Up All Night leveling off at a 2.1 range. Some points above, some points below, but that's about where it'll stay. At least in the near future.

dead souls said:
It's time to pull Free Agents.

I expect that announcement today, replaced with reruns of Whitney (gasp)

Wickerman

Gooster said:
The "first date" episode of Whitney I saw through was quite possibly the worst television I have sat through since the Outsourced pilot. Let it die now.

Edit: I also love that she went on a rant to defend the show's laugh track and call ONE person out on Twitter who thought her show was not good:

http://whitneycummings.tumblr.com/post/5676392097/damn-it

I could only make it through 10 minutes of the second episode before turning it off.

ollin

Can't really do any worse than a 1.0 rating, repeats do better than that.

I've dropped Ringer. Even in mute the show looks like a bad soap opera. CW had a decent show in Life Unexpected but completely ruined that show in the second season. :(

CW should move ahead with that Bruce Wayne series they have had on the backburner for so long.

The one where its just following Bruce Wayne while he's traveling the world before becoming batman.

The show would probably be horrible. But that didn't stop Smallville.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Whoohoo! Another deserved cancellation. Great way to start the day.

Cinemax renews the fucking awesome series Strike Back for a second (really, third) season!

YES!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RatskyWatsky said:
Whoohoo! Another deserved cancellation. Great way to start the day.

Cinemax renews the fucking awesome series Strike Back for a second (really, third) season!

YES!

I kinda was intentionally ignoring the show until Memles took it seriously which made me want to take it seriously.

SpeedingUptoStop

Stumpokapow said:
I kinda was intentionally ignoring the show until Memles took it seriously which made me want to take it seriously.
And now we all, gloriously, get to take it seriously together. <3

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Stumpokapow said:

It's a shame that the first season never aired in the U.S. It's totally amazing.

The show seems to be gaining some traction though, so that's a good sign. It's nice that critics are finally starting to take notice.

SpeedingUptoStop

ivysaur12 said:
Is it actually good? I saw Cinemax and went... meh.
The best B-movie bang you can get from TV. Genuinely pulpy and fun. It's fills a unique niche and is structured intelligently - 10 episode season, but with two episode mini-arcs, allowing for much more breathability in characters and plots. If you love pure action films, you will get this show.

For example, one of the two episode arcs is arms dealer Jorah Mormont Vs. African gang lord Mr. Eko. If you're not sold on that, then I dunno what to tell ya.

Wait, Free Agents was cancelled. FUCK! I was actually liking the two main characters, although the rest of the cast was pretty meh. Sucks, oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom