• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
tsef said:
I've heard so much shit about Braga ever since the days of ST:TNG that I wonder how he can still work in this business and with such promising properties.

There is a saying. Braga is Braga. Hes a bit of a troll who tapped good ass and drove great cars because he could get geeks to swoon. Soon as JJ came up though (Enteriprise didnt help Braga's cause any) he begging to all of Hollywood to pay his car bills.

Novid

Banned
cory. said:
CBS was crap from the mid 80s until Survivor, CSI et al. hit.
ABC was in decline after Home Improvement and the TGIF era ended until Lost, Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy (Millionaire didn't really do much).
But while CBS was able to brand off of those shows, it was harder for ABC to do the same with its hits and is now trying to build its sitcom brand again.
We'll see if NBC can do this.

Woah cory, CBS was FAR from crap in the 80's. That was there fucking best decade creative wise. They fucking suck NOW Prime Time wise. You can make the case after they lost NFL rights in 93 that they lost a lot of good will. It took them 5 years just to recover after they got back NFL games and another 3 to be stable.

Via: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...s-easily-wins-playboy-club-down-again/105895/

2FzqB.png

Update: in time zone adjusted fast nationals, Terra Nova was adjusted up a tenth to a 3.1 adults 18-49 rating, retaining 100% of last week's two-hour premiere rating.

ivysaur12

Banned
The Playboy Club was canceled, replaced by Brian Williams newsmagazine.

No surprise here - the show went down again while its lead-in went up.

Wickerman said:

Fuck yeah for Up All Night. Good shit.

And that's super preemptive for Whitney. How about we see what week 3 does, first?

Also, Terra Nova rocked the international numbers. Since it's produced by 20th, it's a lucrative show for Fox to hold on to, at least for now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ivysaur12 said:
And that's super preemptive for Whitney. How about we see what week 3 does, first?

I don't think so. They simply don't have enough stuff to fill slots. They can't cancel everything and they know Free Agents will be axed as soon as they have something to slot in. Might as well order a full season of Whitney.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
I don't think so. They simply don't have enough stuff to fill slots. They can't cancel everything and they know Free Agents will be axed as soon as they have something to slot in. Might as well order a full season of Whitney.

Maybe. I would have waited to get at least another data point, though. Wonder what will go after Up All Night? Bent? BFFs?

And this is good news for Prime Suspect, too. With nothing else to replace it besides reruns of SVU (maybe), it'll probably get a few more episodes. Maybe even the full 13.

EDIT: Also, NBC will be showing repeats of Prime Suspect on Mondays at 10 until Oct 31 when Rock Solid premieres.

How's that for confidence in a show?

ivysaur12

Banned
Good news for The CW, too: Hart of Dixie wasn't just steady in the 18-49, it was also up double digits in the W18-34. That's encouraging.

cory.

Banned
Novid said:
Woah cory, CBS was FAR from crap in the 80's. That was there fucking best decade creative wise. They fucking suck NOW Prime Time wise. You can make the case after they lost NFL rights in 93 that they lost a lot of good will. It took them 5 years just to recover after they got back NFL games and another 3 to be stable.
I was just talking ratings, and I meant to use meh; they were in decline by the late 80s, then the NFL rights thing kept them down until the early 00s.

Slayven

SteveWinwood said:
Playboy club is bad.
Free Agents is really bad.
2 Bad Girls is reallly really bad.
I like Harry's Law. I hope it continues past this season. But I really liked Boston Legal so maybe it just reminds me of that so far.

Oh and Whitney is fucking shit.
I don't like Harry's Law seemed to drop like half it's cast between seasons.

Birbo

ivysaur12 said:
The Playboy Club was canceled, replaced by Brian Williams newsmagazine.

Playboy was sooo bad. Did anyone here watch it? Wife and I made it about 10 minutes into episode 2 and had to shut it off.

So, Playboy bunny accidentally kills a mob boss in the Club, manages to dump his body in the river, but decides the best thing to do with her bloodied bunny costume is to bring it back to the Playboy mansion and hide it halfway under her bed?

That's when my wife and I turned to each other and said "Shut this off right now."

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I called The Playboy Club being axed in 5 weeks, I was close. Can't wait for Hef to bitch about this on Twitter and complain about how the current issue of the mag is promoting a show no longer on the air.

I, however, won't be looking forward to Melissa McEwan and like-minded feminists throwing in their two cents on this...

Free Agents is ok so far. I hope it has time to hit its stride. I want it to live, if only to raise awareness of Al Madrigal and Natasha Leggero. They deserve to be on a better show, certainly, but they need their time as fourth and fifth banana on an ok show to make that happen.

Also, Playboy Club is canceled? Who saw that coming? It's not like it was on a network where they weren't allowed to use the only appeal Playboy has (tits) to anyone. The only place this show would have had even a microscopic chance would be HBO or Showtime.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Wickerman said:
Wow, a lot of people seem disappointed by the news.
I like the one guy crying censorship and how NBC should give it a second chance. I'm assuming that he works for Playboy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yes! Lol The Playboy Club is dead. Finally, I was frothing at the fact that there hadn't been a cancellation yet. Free Agents, Charlie's Angels, and H8r are next!

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Birbo said:
Playboy was sooo bad. Did anyone here watch it? Wife and I made it about 10 minutes into episode 2 and had to shut it off.

So, Playboy bunny accidentally kills a mob boss in the Club, manages to dump his body in the river, but decides the best thing to do with her bloodied bunny costume is to bring it back to the Playboy mansion and hide it halfway under her bed?

That's when my wife and I turned to each other and said "Shut this off right now."
Really makes you wonder how some sreenwriters get jobs or think this shit will pass.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wickerman said:
Wow, a lot of people seem disappointed by the news.

I mean, out of the 3 million who watched it, there must be a few who are awkwardly deluded fans.

Remember, there was a save HAPPY TOWN campaign. People like shit.

RatskyWatsky said:
Yes! Lol The Playboy Club is dead. Finally, I was frothing at the fact that there hadn't been a cancellation yet. Free Agents, Charlie's Angels, and H8r are next!

H8R is here to stay, at least for a little while.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Really makes you wonder how some sreenwriters get jobs or think this shit will pass.

It's really shocking. That's something that should strike the internal logic cord of 90% of screenwriters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
H8R is here to stay, at least for a little while.

Nooo. >:[

Btw, what was up with that Greenblatt thing from last week? About giving TPC and Free Agents another chance? I'm assumed that that meant they would stay on air for 13 episodes, but I guess it meant he was giving each show another week. After all, TPC was cancelled today. So can we assume that after tomorrow's episode of Free Agents, it will be immediately cancelled? I don't see any other outcome.

But why did he bother giving either show another chance? Surely he didn't expect the ratings to improve? I guess it was a gesture of goodwill to the creators?

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Nooo. >:[

Btw, what was up with that Greenblatt thing from last week? About giving TPC and Free Agents another chance? I'm assumed that that meant they would stay on air for 13 episodes, but I guess it meant he was giving each show another week. After all, TPC was cancelled today. So can we assume that after tomorrow's episode of Free Agents, it will be immediately cancelled? I don't see any other outcome.

But why did he bother giving either show another chance? Surely he didn't expect the ratings to improve? I guess it was a gesture of goodwill to the creators?

Gesture of goodwill, and to show creative that he wasn't going to pull shows 2 episodes in.

The fact that The Sing-Off went up and The Playboy Club went down is a really bad sign.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ivysaur12 said:
Gesture of goodwill, and to show creative that he wasn't going to pull shows 2 episodes in.

The fact that The Sing-Off went up and The Playboy Club went down is a really bad sign.

"Hey guys! I have faith in your creative abilities! I'm not gonna pull your shows after two episodes, I'm gonna pull them after three!"

ivysaur12

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
"Hey guys! I have faith in your creative abilities! I'm not gonna pull your shows after two episodes, I'm gonna pull them after three!"

There probably was an ultimatum in terms of having to, at the very least, be steady.

Kifimbo said:

Considering a 1.0 is such a low bar, who knows what the ratings will do this week/how many people forget to turn off the TV after Up All Night.

LiK

Playboy Club on NBC was a mistake. Should've been on HBO or any other channel that can show boobs.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
LiK said:
Playboy Club on NBC was a mistake. Should've been on HBO or any other channel that can show boobs.
Doesn't Amber Heard have a no-nudity clause at all times? Even if it was on HBO, she wouldn't give up the goods.

Recon

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Doesn't Amber Heard have a no-nudity clause at all times? Even if it was on HBO, she wouldn't give up the goods.

Really? Thats odd considering how much she was nude in The Informers for almost the whole movie.

The Playboy Club was an odd, illogical choice for network television. The show was also poorly written. The word "Playboy" conjures up all sorts of images and ideas, yet none of those can be capitalized on NBC for very obvious reasons. Why on Earth would a network commit to a show entitled The Playboy Club when they knew from the start that it was going to be neutered? Oh, that's right...NBC. Totally slipped my mind.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kerrby said:
People actually watch Mike and Molly?

Wow America, I am disappoint.
America loves shows about fat people.

Irish

I refuse to allow Free Agents to leave before Up All Night. It's a shame GAF has to be on the wrong comedy train most of the time. FA > UAN. Outsourced > P&R. :D

I'm not even starting any dramas until I know they are going to stick around for a while. Not getting my heart broken this year, NBC/Fox.

Slayven said:
I don't like Harry's Law seemed to drop like half it's cast between seasons.
So its like Boston legal in that I get to like one of the new characters and then they're gone like 7 episodes later? Yeah... also Boston was much more self contained. All I've seen of harrys are multiple episode arcs. I wonder how that effects viewership? Encourages retention among early adopters but discourages late comers?

Ashhong

twinturbo2 said:

Bullshit. She has had multiple nude roles in movies, why stop now???? SHE CANT STOP!

Irish said:
I refuse to allow Free Agents to leave before Up All Night. It's a shame GAF has to be on the wrong comedy train most of the time. FA > UAN. Outsourced > P&R. :D

I'm not even starting any dramas until I know they are going to stick around for a while. Not getting my heart broken this year, NBC/Fox.

Wait. Outsourced > Parks? You must be trolling holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom