• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
My only one show will be Awake. All my other's made it. That's pretty incredible.

Thank you bad development season at ABC for giving me full seasons of Happy Endings and Suburgatory!

TripOpt55

Oh I am tired. I also enjoy Awake. Sad to see that one go too (it has been getting better lately I'd say as well), but I had come to terms with its cancellation a while ago too.

border

So exactly how good is Nikita? Is it a guilty pleasure show? Over-the-top ridiculousness like 24? Or is it legitimately awesome spy thrills like Alias (before the reboots and the mythology went haywire)?

I'd be interested in adding Nikita to the playlist of stuff my girlfriend and I enjoy, but probably only if it's legitimately good, and not pulp-y or campy. Even if it was though, I guess we won't have much to watch this summer anyway......but I'd still prefer an honest evaluation.

Replicant

All of my favorites are renewed. That's a new record. Wish Fringe got full season but I knew it was a miracle it even got 13 episodes to wrap it all.

border said:
So exactly how good is Nikita? Is it a guilty pleasure show? Over-the-top ridiculousness like 24? Or is it legitimately awesome spy thrills like Alias (before the reboots and the mythology went haywire)?

It has awesome story with excellent twist and turns. Also the action scenes are top-notch for a TV series. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm watching a mini action movie.

ivysaur12

Banned
All of my favorites are renewed. That's a new record. Wish Fringe got full season but I knew it was a miracle it even got 13 episodes to wrap it all.

It has awesome story with excellent twist and turns. Also the action scenes are top-notch for a TV series. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm watching a mini action movie.

Legitimately Awake is the only show I really love that didn't get renewed (and we saw that happened). That's incredible.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Legitimately Awake is the only show I really love that didn't get renewed (and we saw that happened). That's incredible.

Just want to chime in about Awake:

Poor Laura Allen :( As a huge fan of Terriers, I was glad to see her in another show, but this one didn't last as long either.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just want to chime in about Awake:

Poor Laura Allen :( As a huge fan of Terriers, I was glad to see her in another show, but this one didn't last as long either.

Yeah, but she was also in two of the best shows of the past two years. She'll have a great career, especially with Terriers and Awake on her resume.

border

I read an interview with the show creator of Revenge that stated that future seasons would also focus on the theme of 'revenge' and it would take place in the same universe, but from different perspectives. So this season was about Emily's revenge, next season it'll be someone else, who is tied into the events of the series.

I've said it in the OT, but the show badly needs some kind of upheaval or reboot if it is to continue. They cannot really do another 22 episodes of Amanda Clarke secretly burning everyone that burned her father. At some point her identity needs to be revealed, and she needs to be engaging in open warfare with the Grayson family. Alternatively, she can take them all down in the season finale, and the next season can be about Victoria Grayson trying to exact her own REVENGE on Amanda.

I'm not sure if I care for the idea of a character switch or perspective switch. None of the supporting characters on Revenge are compelling enough to carry the series. Nolan versus Amanda might be interesting perhaps.....they seem to be playing up that the two of them have very different paths and intentions. I just can't imagine anything Amanda might do to Nolan that would merit an entire season's worth of revenge-seeking.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Yeah, but she was also in two of the best shows of the past two years. She'll have a great career, especially with Terriers and Awake on her resume.

I swear, when a show I love gets cancelled, I get attached to the actors and hope the best for them.

Seeing Michael Raymond-James (Terriers) on The Walking Dead was bittersweet, Donal Logue (Terriers) needs more roles, and hearing Victor Rasuk's (How to make it in America) voice on those Taco Bell commercials just kills me since it reminds me that the show is cancelled.

I'm not sure if I care for the idea of a character switch or perspective switch. None of the supporting characters on Revenge are compelling enough to carry the series. Nolan versus Amanda might be interesting perhaps.....they seem to be playing up that the two of them have very different paths and intentions. I just can't imagine anything Amanda might do to Nolan that would merit an entire season's worth of revenge-seeking.

Another one is that Amanda gets married into the Greyson family and is on the opposite side of a revenge plot from someone else... as in, Victoria and Amanda on the same side. However, all of these scenarios are too far fetched and odds are they'll just continue the present trend of picking out some Greyson associate and destroying them. It would get tiring pretty quick though.

VanWinkle

I'm glad Up All Night is back, but it's kind of a shame it's only getting 13 episodes. I thought it was doing better ratings wise then it must have really been.

Great news about Parks and Rec, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TVBTN got Body of Proof wrong as well--and bigtime, they had rated it around a 7.5% chance to be renewed and it was. But I'm not really sure why it was renewed, to be honest. Maybe they're hoping for something like Castle where the show ends up growing over the years, but it's actually lost pretty significant audience since it premiered. Nothing about its current performance suggests it's being renewed on that basis.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I'm on the lot and they're already scraping the labels off of Awake's mailboxes. That stung.
That's too bad. I liked the show. I thought they could have done more with it than turn it into a procedural, but that doesn't mean the show was uninteresting. Jason Isaacs did a really good job. I also liked BD Wong's character.

Is Nikita really that good? Or is the the looks of the main character? :p Or is it some sort of guilty pleasure/campy goodness like Xena?
It's a good show. A lot of intrigue. There is a guilty pleasure aspect to it, but it's at least as good as some of the other action/drama shows on the major networks, like Person of Interest. And, to make it abundantly clear... I really like watching Kneecapper of Nazareth rain down justice.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
WTF! Just found out that Awake got cancelled. Why, oh why does NBC suck so much? I hope someone picks this show up, I really enjoy the interplay between the characters and the duality of the realities. :(

Why does NBC suck SO much? You know this network never would have given Seinfeld a shot after the first season...

WTF! Just found out that Awake got cancelled. Why, oh why does NBC suck so much? I hope someone picks this show up, I really enjoy the interplay between the characters and the duality of the realities. :(

Why does NBC suck SO much? You know this network never would have given Seinfeld a shot after the first season...

Television doesn't work the way it does when Seinfeld premiered. There's pretty much no current example of a show with mediocre ratings that was renewed and grew into a hit. Shows with bad ratings that get renewed tend to do the same or worse now. Plus Awake lost nearly two thirds of its demo from the premiere (starting at 2.0 and hitting 0.7 as a low in recent weeks) so it was a justified cancellation.

gdt

Television doesn't work the way it does when Seinfeld premiered. There's pretty much no current example of a show with mediocre ratings that was renewed and grew into a hit. Shows with bad ratings that get renewed tend to do the same or worse now. Plus Awake lost nearly two thirds of its demo from the premiere (starting at 2.0 and hitting 0.7 as a low in recent weeks) so it was a justified cancellation.

We're talking networks, but that does happen sometimes in the cable landscape.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
We're talking networks, but that does happen sometimes in the cable landscape.

Something like Southland that got picked up by TNT, or Cougar Town moving to TBS...

This pisses me off like Rubicon all over again. Cliffhanger, nobody knows whats going to happen next and... CANCELLED.

Kabouter

Something like Southland that got picked up by TNT, or Cougar Town moving to TBS...

This pisses me off like Rubicon all over again. Cliffhanger, nobody knows whats going to happen next and... CANCELLED.

It was so good too. Rubicon is probably the most disappointed I've been over a cancellation in recent years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was so good too. Rubicon is probably the most disappointed I've been over a cancellation in recent years.

Made worse by the fact that there's never going to be a DVD/Blu release so it's not even like you'd get the typical featurettes or commentaries that might flesh out some of the stuff they hoped to accomplish with a season 2 if they got one.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*

Especially when they renewed straight garbage like The Killing knowing how it ended. Not at least giving Rubicon a second season was the first sign they didn't have a grasp on how a cable TV company oughta operate. I know it didn't have great ratings, but it could've grew in audience.

Kabouter

Made worse by the fact that there's never going to be a DVD/Blu release so it's not even like you'd get the typical featurettes or commentaries that might flesh out some of the stuff they hoped to accomplish with a season 2 if they got one.
Oh, I was sort of hoping there might be one :/. Fuck.

The Rubicon cancellation couldn't upset me because it was a done deal as soon as the premiere numbers came in. I remember whoever was reviewing it on AVClub was convinced it was going to be renewed, while I kept posting in the comments that a show pulling a 0.2 was probably too low for even AMC to keep. When your numbers make Mad Men/Breaking Bad look like True Blood/Walking Dead you're getting canceled.

Oh, I wasn't surprised at all. I knew it was going to happen after the premiere numbers as well, but the show was so good that I was really disappointed.

The Rubicon cancellation couldn't upset me because it was a done deal as soon as the premiere numbers came in. I remember whoever was reviewing it on AVClub was convinced it was going to be renewed, while I kept posting in the comments that a show pulling a 0.2 was probably too low for even AMC to keep. When your numbers make Mad Men/Breaking Bad look like True Blood/Walking Dead you're getting canceled.

SpeedingUpToStop said:
Especially when they renewed straight garbage like The Killing knowing how it ended. Not at least giving Rubicon a second season was the first sign they didn't have a grasp on how a cable TV company oughta operate. I know it didn't have great ratings, but it could've grew in audience.

I'm sorry but this is absurd. Look up the ratings for Rubicon. They were fucking dire, like 1/4 the demo of Mad Men, which has never gotten particularly good ratings. Even if Rubicon's audience had somehow doubled it still would have been a gigantic flop. There is a lot to criticize AMC about, but cutting that dead weight isn't it.

big ander

It sucks big time but it's really not NBC's fault. They never shuffled the show, the order of the episodes was approved by the showrunner, it had a decent slot, and I see a fine amount of advertising for it. People just don't want to watch it. It happens.

awm8604

Banned
I'm a die-hard fan of the original La Femme Nikita series, and I haven't started watching Nikita yet. I plan to this Summer, and, while I don't expect it to be as good as the original, I'll watch if it's decent.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sucks for Awake especially now that it's getting interesting.
Should have went with less Crime of the Week

I doubt that the crime of the week story elements had too much to do with it, it is just the American viewing populace would rather watch Real Housewives garbage than something different. Pisses me off that there isn't a market for this show on another network, apparently. :(

And RE: Rubicon. That show was like a fine wine. Every episode was better and better. The amount of heart-pounding moments I had watching it were incredible. The acting, dialogue, intrigue, and mystery were on another level and it is a shame that it couldn't get its due. Don't worry, Basketball Wives got picked up for another season!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Shows that I watch that were cancelled this season:

The River
Terra Nova
Awake

Not too bad, and in the case of Terra Nova I'm actually glad that it was cancelled. The River had a good conclusion and Awake's fate was known long ago, so I'm actually pretty happy with the way it turned out. (though losing Awake still stings)

ivysaur12

Banned
TVBTN got Body of Proof wrong as well--and bigtime, they had rated it around a 7.5% chance to be renewed and it was. But I'm not really sure why it was renewed, to be honest. Maybe they're hoping for something like Castle where the show ends up growing over the years, but it's actually lost pretty significant audience since it premiered. Nothing about its current performance suggests it's being renewed on that basis.

I just asked - it makes a significantly large amount of money internationally. Besides Grey's, it's their most successful drama overseas and makes a stupidly large amount of money for ABC Studios.

Worst cancellation for me was BFF damn that show was just great.

Oh, that. Yeah, that too.

Shows that I watch that were cancelled this season:

The River
Terra Nova
Awake

Not too bad, and in the case of Terra Nova I'm actually glad that it was cancelled.

Yeah, this year's load of cancellations and renewals is actually pretty good. Losing Luck hurt like hell, but there's not much else to complain about when Parks and Enlightened were renewed despite bad ratings and the year's best new drama (Homeland) turned into a hit. It's certainly an improvement over last year's basic cable graveyard.

Novid

Banned
I just asked - it makes a significantly large amount of money internationally. Besides Grey's, it's their most successful drama overseas and makes a stupidly large amount of money for ABC Studios.

Oh, that. Yeah, that too.

Its time to open up saturday night again for real this time. If a series can make money overseas and not make that much inroads over here, then its time to open up Saturday night again. It makes no logical sense to keep that saturday spot dead as a doornail.

border

I doubt that the crime of the week story elements had too much to do with it, it is just the American viewing populace would rather watch Real Housewives garbage than something different. Pisses me off that there isn't a market for this show on another network, apparently. :(

Everybody knew Awake's problem from the beginning -- people that watch cop shows do not want all these heavily serialized sci-fi elements that leave them in the dark if they miss an episode. People that watch serialized science fiction stuff do not want crime of the week junk that makes them feel like they have wasted their time watching if an episode does not develop the series mythology. They couldn't appeal to either audience.

Plus there's the problem that the show is just really morose, constantly dwelling on the grisly death of a mother and a child. That's probably also a turn-off for procedural fans.

I don't think you can blame Real Housewives for this on.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, this year's load of cancellations and renewals is actually pretty good. Losing Luck hurt like hell, but there's not much else to complain about when Parks and Enlightened were renewed despite bad ratings and the year's best new drama (Homeland) turned into a hit. It's certainly an improvement over last year's basic cable graveyard.

>.< I forgot about Luck. Yeah, that one fucking sucks.

ivysaur12

Banned
As a testament to how poor last year was, there are more shows going into their fourth season then those renewed for their third:

- Happy Endings
- Body of Proof
- Blue Bloods
- Hawaii Five-0
- Mike & Molly
- Nikita
- Raising Hope

- The Middle
- Modern Family
- NCIS: LA
- The Good Wife
- The Vampire Diaries
- Glee
- Community
- Cougar Town (tips the scales, TBS)

Besides CBS, only three shows have been canceled that weren't freshman shows - Harry's Law, Breaking In, and House (Chuck and House are different, because Chuck's fate was decided last year when it was renewed for a final season). Two of those shows were second year shows. Every other show that wasn't a freshman was renewed. CBS will change this, likely canceling one of the CSIs. Rules of Engagement remains on the bubble but looks good.

In terms of renewals, this freshman class far exceeds last year's. Last year, only 9 freshman shows made it to a second season, with two already canceled. This year, 14 shows (so far) have made the cut for a second season:

- Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23
- Last Man Standing
- Once Upon a Time
- Scandal
- Revenge
- 2 Broke Girls
- Person of Interest
- Hart of Dixie
- New Girl
- Touch
- Grimm
- Smash
- Up All Night
- Whitney

However, it is predominately untested first year shows that get kicked to the curb. 25 first year shows were canceled this year.

This is also the time in five years that a non-CBS multi cam was renewed for a second season. We had two this year, Whitney and Last Man Standing.

EDIT: It's likely Unforgettable will return.

ivysaur12

Banned
In non-shocking news, Two and a Half Men renewed for season 10. Also, for those of you who want a CBS that takes a few more chances, hold out hope for both Ralph Lamb and Golden Boy. Trust me.

What's Killen's next move? Would he lead a writing team on one of Howard Gordon's shows, or is that as desperate a move as a film actor going to TV when they're in a rough period? Does he get another shot with the networks? Will he finally go to cable where his premises belong?

ivysaur12

Banned
What's Killen's next move? Would he lead a writing team on one of Howard Gordon's shows, or is that as desperate a move as a film actor going to TV when they're in a rough period? Does he get another shot with the networks? Will he finally go to cable where his premises belong?

He'll have no problem getting jobs. I'm sure he would be offered a position on Homeland, but he's also never been a staff writer before so it's possible he wouldn't take it. Some of the (better) baby writers on Awake like Leonard and Noelle could go to Homeland. Or another 20th show this season, maybe even Last Resort.

His next move is probably getting an overall with 20th or fox 21 and start developing for either FX, AMC, or Showtime. If I had o be him, I'd do that. Maybe come back to Fox in the future if he has a broader idea for a show.

ivysaur12

Banned
Barring CBS and a pickup by ABC of Daddy's Girl or Ladyfriends, it's time to look at the studio break down.

ABC:

- The Family Tools: ABC
- How to Live With Your Parents for the Rest of Your Life: 20th
- Malibu Country: ABC
- Neighbors: ABC
- 666 Park Ave: WB
- Last Resort: Sony
- Nashville: Lionsgate/ABC
- Red Window: ABC
- Zero Hour: ABC

- Body of Proof: ABC
- Castle: ABC
- Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23: 20th
- Grey's Anatomy: ABC
- Happy Endings: Sony/ABC
- Last Man Standing: 20th
- The Middle: WB
- Modern Family: 20th
- Once Upon a Time: ABC
- Private Practice: ABC
- Revenge: ABC
- Scandal: ABC
- Suburgatory: WB

CBS:

- 2 Broke Girls: WB
- The Big Bang Theory: WB
- Blue Bloods: CBS
- Criminal Minds: CBS/ABC
- CSI: CBS
- The Good Wife: CBS
- Hawaii Five-0: CBS
- How I Met Your Mother: 20th
- The Mentalist: WB
- Mike & Molly: WB
- NCIS: CBS
- NCIS: LA: CBS
- Person of Interest: WB
- Two and a Half Men: WB

NBC:

- 1600 Penn: 20th
- Animal Practice: UTV
- Go On: UTV
- Guys With Kids: UTV
- The New Normal: 20th
- Next Caller: Lionsgate/UTV
- Save Me: Sony
- Chicago Fire: UTV
- Do No Harm: UTV
- Infamous: UTV
- Revolution: WB

- 30 Rock: UTV
- Community: Sony/UTV
- Grimm: UTV
- Law & Order: SVU: UTV
- The Office: UTV
- Parenthood: UTV
- Parks & Recreation: UTV
- Smash: UTV
- Up All Night: UTV

Fox:

- Ben & Kate: 20th
- The Goodwin Games: 20th
- The Mindy Project: UTV
- The Following: WB
- The Mob Doctor: Sony

- American Dad: 20th
- Bones: 20th
- Family Guy: 20th
- Fringe: WB
- Glee: 20th
- New Girl: 20th
- Raising Hope: 20th
- The Simpsons: 20th
- Touch: 20th

the CW:

- Arrow: WB
- Beauty & the Beast: CBS
- The Carrie Diaries: WB
- Cult: WB/CBS
- First Cut: CBS

- Gossip Girl: WB
- Hart of Dixie: WB/CBS
- Nikita: WB
- 90210: CBS
- Supernatural: WB
- The Vampire Diaries: WB

Count (will be updated with CBS):

- Warner Bros: 18, 2 co-productions
- 20th Century Fox: 16
- Universal: 15, 2 co-productions
- ABC: 12, 2 co-productions
- CBS: 7, 3 co-productions*
- Sony: 3, 2 co-productions
- Lionsgate: 2 co-productions

I haven't seen packaging yet, but I'm guessing WME will edge out CAA again.

TripOpt55

Is there a place where I can see a big list of next year's batch of shows with who's involved and quick synopses about what they are about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom