• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adventure Time Season 7 |OT| *CN walks into devastated fandom w/ new episodes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here purchased the season through iTunes pass? I bought volume 9 which should have this mini series but I haven't received anything past the first two episodes. I really want to see this.

Psxphile

Everything Stays original demo

I was so glad to get to write this song for the Adventure Time miniseries Stakes, and so honored to be cast as Marceline’s mother!

This song is based off an early memory of losing a stuffed animal, a black rabbit. I found it a year later, laying on it’s back in the garden. The sun had faded it’s underside, so that it now had a white belly. It wasn’t better, or worse, just different. It was the first time I realized that things will change no matter what, even if they’re left alone, and stay completely still.

Thanks so much to Adam Muto for thinking of me for this! And to Tim Kiefer for his wonderful final arrangement!

Neat.

hugocésar;186181301 said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here purchased the season through iTunes pass? I bought volume 9 which should have this mini series but I haven't received anything past the first two episodes. I really want to see this.

Stakes! has it's own volume.

big ander

hm. Thought Stakes was merely pretty good. Finn and Jake were the funniest they've been in a while, animation especially towards the end of the mini was fantastic (
marci in the dark cloud reminded me of Bryan Lee O'Malley a lot, especially the more fantastical elements of Seconds
). But it felt...no way to not indulge in the pun, oddly stakeless.
As soon as the vampire gang is shown to be resurrected it's fairly clear Marceline's gonna take them out again, and the title card crossing off the foes confirms she's just going to cut em down and get all of her powers back. (Now realizing that Scott Pilgrim-esque structure works as another connection to O'Malley.) Wish the baddies were more interesting too. didn't care for the Empress or Hierophant or the Fool (though Paul Williams and Ron Funches doing those latter two voices was very welcome) and the Vampire King didn't get to be eerie often enough. when he was though, during the cow dance or his long pre-staking monologue--damn. The Moon was the creepiest of all, loved it.
The themes of growing up being about staying basically the same while changing in small ways that are invisible on the surface are interesting but muddled, and Marceline's feelings of regret and questions about whether her mission to vampire hunt in the first place was in the right aren't drawn out well enough. Plus it felt...fan servicey at times. Teasing huge backstories but not diving in (I prefer when AT just casually drops knowledge about the past and characters accept it matter-of-factly), catering to the Marci-PB stuff in a less-than-elegant way, bringin back the bacon pancakes for the mega stake song--though I guess that's more of a fun wink at Sugar being back for the series. Other tunes were awesome, the Suicide-esque song Marci sings about Simon was cool and Everything Stays is stellar.
Overall I'm mixed to positive. Maybe it needs to sit for a while, or maybe watching it in one go rather than in 2-3 episode chunks over a week will work better.

zeemumu

I said it before, but I really did like
The Vampire King. I like villains who are tired.

They could keep going but they're just tired.

big ander

Finn and Jake have been largely supporting characters this season, but the comet wasn't that long ago.

plus, I like how they've been backgrounded while still having a presence as characters-- Finn's heroic code and need to fight for what is right had an effect on Stakes, even if the enormity/power of what they were up against meant he was ineffectual when it came to actually fighting back.

IronRinn

Finn and Jake have been largely supporting characters this season, but the comet wasn't that long ago.

plus, I like how they've been backgrounded while still having a presence as characters-- Finn's heroic code and need to fight for what is right had an effect on Stakes, even if the enormity/power of what they were up against meant he was ineffectual when it came to actually fighting back.

Yeah, exactly. Just last season everything was about Finn.

That said, I did really like the theme of cycles coming up once again with Marceline. I wonder if the series will end with someone finally choosing to break free of it. Kind of a Buddhist sort of thing.

PolishQ

hugocésar;186207197 said:
I noticed, but I guess I should complain to Apple because I did pay $20 for it. I'll look into it.

Volume 9 was cheaper than the previous volumes, and now we know it's because Stakes was not included. I think it's fair.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
When was the last time Finn and Jake actually did something significant.

Them being completely inept works though.

Pretty good mini-series.. some great themes explored if not feeling a bit rushed on the back end.. and the ending was pretty much known from very early on.

Also, some of the funniest AT sequences came from this, so really really funny moments.

Psxphile

2 new episodes are scheduled to air December 2nd and 3rd back-to-back, from the looks of things:

dGOzqC8.jpg

Source

Looks like the BMO special that was teased at Comic-con. If I'm reading it right, both episodes will premiere on Wednesday at 6:30 and then again Thursday at 7:00.

KiN0

Yeah, exactly. Just last season everything was about Finn.

That said, I did really like the theme of cycles coming up once again with Marceline. I wonder if the series will end with someone finally choosing to break free of it. Kind of a Buddhist sort of thing.

That would be really interesting given the shows penchant for returning to the status quo.

Psxphile

Y'know

I did not notice the vamps were named after the major arcana

Yeah, some of them anyway. A few others were simply namedropped (I can recall Wheel of Fortune and Chariot mentioned during VK's monologue in Checkmate). I'm sure there's a blog post out there already that's gone all over it in detail.

PK Gaming

God I wish Stakes was stretched out for an entire season

Could you imagine? A season's worth of Marceline as the protagonist, PB as the totally platonic best friend", Jake and Finn in top comedic form, various encounters with the vampires (who were amazing), and tons of other good stuff

Banzai

Man Stakes is what Adventure Time should be. Finn and Jake having fun with Adventures, some light character/world lore and a crazy villain that gets defeated in a cool way.

I've definitely gotten used to the show returning to the status quo after telling a story. But if there really is some sort of endgame to the entire series I hope they go with "breaking the cycle" as a theme.

Psxphile

God I wish Stakes was stretched out for an entire season

Could you imagine? A season's worth of Marceline as the protagonist, PB as the totally platonic best friend", Jake and Finn in top comedic form, various encounters with the vampires (who were amazing), and tons of other good stuff

I don't know if they could sustain something like that over an entire season, but it would have been interesting to see. They would have to intersperse it with the usual F&J episodes, episodes about Ooo in general, Ice King eps, etc... but in most it would be subtly revealed that the Ultra Vamps were working behind the scenes to upset Ooo's balance (or just general mischief in the case of The Fool). And then the meat of Stakes! would take place with Marceline and co. hunting them down.

They tried to do something similar during Season 4 as a lead up to "The Lich" by inserting tiny bits of foreshadowing in various episodes but only the one in "In Your Footsteps" (episode with the Finn bear) actually came through in the end - Tom Herpich admitted this on the commentary track of the episode on the Season 4 DVD.

PK Gaming

I don't know if they could sustain something like that over an entire season, but it would have been interesting to see. They would have to intersperse it with the usual F&J episodes, episodes about Ooo in general, Ice King eps, etc... but in most it would be subtly revealed that the Ultra Vamps were working behind the scenes to upset Ooo's balance (or just general mischief in the case of The Fool). And then the meat of Stakes! would take place with Marceline and co. hunting them down.

They tried to do something similar during Season 4 as a lead up to "The Lich" by inserting tiny bits of foreshadowing in various episodes but only the one in "In Your Footsteps" (episode with the Finn bear) actually came through in the end - Tom Herpich admitted this on the commentary track of the episode on the Season 4 DVD.

That's the idea, exactly! It'd definitely be difficult to execute, but undeniably awesome to see it play out.

Hamlet

Really enjoyed the Stake mini series. Nice amount of backstory revealed for Marceline and a surprising amount of progress to the Candy Kingdom side of things also. Wasn't expecting the King of Ooo to show up as much as he did and also get taken out as the princess during it. Pretty brutal way to get rid of him also heh. All hail Princess Crunchy the Unforgiving! Was also pretty neat seeing all the kingdoms of Ooo come together to try and fight the dark cloud. Really nice animation in the last episode too.
Loved the gags throughout this also. Still can't stop laughing at Jake's reaction to the Moon Vampires voice.
Hope they do more of these.

Psxphile

Wait King of Ooo isn't actually dead is he? Pretty sure he was oozing away during the final montage. Thought the banana guard was just hurling insults but I think he really *was* sentient earwax, and he rightly melted into goo when he fell into the fireplace but survived. He's definitely dethroned, though.

All hail Princess Crunchy, his long dream finally realized. Shame his reign was short-lived.

vypek

Wait King of Ooo isn't actually dead is he? Pretty sure he was oozing away during the final montage. Thought the banana guard was just hurling insults but I think he really *was* sentient earwax, and he rightly melted into goo when he fell into the fireplace but survived. He's definitely dethroned, though.

All hail Princess Crunchy, his long dream finally realized. Shame his reign was short-lived.

That is what I remember too. He is alive and oozing/slinking/running/gooping away at the end.

Psxphile

tumblr_ny5hqmU5xz1t0t09yo2_1280.png

The More You Moe, the Moe You Know (a half-hour special) premieres Wednesday, December 2nd at 6:30/5:30c on Cartoon Network

KingofOoo

I like that recently they haven't forgotten to include Neptr like in earlier seasons.

EDIT: Daily ratings for the Stakes! premieres:

• Mon: Part 1 and 2 - 1,868,000
  • Tues: Part 3 and 4 - 1,822,000
  • Wed: Part 5 and 6 - 1,845,000
  • Thur: Part 7 and 8 - 1,703,000

Source

This is very good, considering the average is like 1.2 to 1.5 mil for CN premieres these days. For AT especially, this is a huge increase.

EDIT:
tumblr_inline_ny9rw5ebDP1ttcvmg_540.png

oh

EDIT:
Very short promo for the Adventure Time Christmas special

Lelcar

Man Stakes is what Adventure Time should be. Finn and Jake having fun with Adventures, some light character/world lore and a crazy villain that gets defeated in a cool way.

Absolutely. It's been a perfect blend of overarching lore, comedy and adventures. What a great mini series.

"Dem a good rule tho" is one of my new favourite Finn lines.

Psxphile

Some updates~

A more detailed description of the upcoming episodes THE MORE YOU MOE and THE MOE YOU KNOW:
tumblr_nyj7gpoYuK1uwb31io1_1280.jpg

"Moe visits the tree house with a special birthday surprise for BMO. While BMO's mission stands on the brink of disaster, Finn and Jake host a strange guest."
Comics Continuum

Comic news:
Source

Teaser image for the upcoming AT comic 6-parter. What's that? You didn't know Ice King was getting his own comic mini-series? Me neither! But this link will set us straight.

STAKES! concept artwork:
tumblr_nyducu0DfQ1s4yagho1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyducu0DfQ1s4yagho2_1280.jpg

*Early concept sketches for the Vampire King and the Dark Cloud.
Tom Herpich

tumblr_nyg5hm06a71qauvvxo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyg5hm06a71qauvvxo2_1280.jpg

from a year ago when we were boarding May I Come In. originally he was a wolf for longer so I took some (self indulgent) time to figure him out. look at that big baby.
Emily Partridge

tumblr_nyhrwwAZML1t0t09yo1_1280.png

concept drawing of Marceline’s mom from Everything Stays by writer/storyboard artist Hanna K Nyström
KingofOoo

Oh man I recently read that Marceline Spoooktacular and was shocked by how good it is, really hoping that this Ice King mini series is good too.
Made me hope that I can get my AT fix from the comics, especially because Marcy and Simon are about the only characters I like in the show anymore.

Hedge

I never actually got into the side-stories of Adventure Time, and googling them now makes me realize that there are a lot. I loved the story behind Marceline in the Stakes episodes: are any of the comics like that? Sort of background story and in-universe lore?

Psxphile

I never actually got into the side-stories of Adventure Time, and googling them now makes me realize that there are a lot. I loved the story behind Marceline in the Stakes episodes: are any of the comics like that? Sort of background story and in-universe lore?

tumblr_nybzpnP4JB1uwb4tno1_540.png

Most aren't really considered show-canon in the strictest sense but the stories are fun from what I've seen. I believe the mini-series Marceline Gone Adrift addresses PB and Marcy's relationship much more directly than the show ever did prior to Stakes! (like, barely... but it's there). But, as mentioned earlier, the recent Spoooktacular issue was a Marceline story set during her vampire-hunting days and from the looks of things was developed as a companion story and first-look to Stakes!.

Just finished off the mini series. Really enjoyed it. Our supreme dark lord Peppermint Butler can do no wrong. Crunchy is now legit as well.

Hedge

tumblr_nybzpnP4JB1uwb4tno1_540.png

Most aren't really considered show-canon in the strictest sense but the stories are fun from what I've seen. I believe the mini-series Marceline Gone Adrift addresses PB and Marcy's relationship much more directly than the show ever did prior to Stakes! (like, barely... but it's there). But, as mentioned earlier, the recent Spoooktacular issue was a Marceline story set during her vampire-hunting days and from the looks of things was developed as a companion story and first-look to Stakes!.

Aye, I've been looking everywhere for a physical release in the EU of Spooktacular '15, but I don't think it exists, sadly.

Psxphile

Well, that was darker than I would have imagined.

The very last scene seems to paint Mo as
the creator of the Sleeping Fire Giants and maybe even Beautopia

The Hermit

Y'know

I did not notice the vamps were named after the major arcana

I love most of the things about the Vampires, but this was one of my fav.

Funny it took me so long, only realized when they were fighting the Hierophant. I only read about Hierophant in Tarot, so thats when I made the connection.

big ander

That may've been my favorite BMO ep. absolute best part: BMO quickly wishing itself happy birthday at the top of the second half while trapped in the trash. such a perfect line reading

Crispy75

Funny it took me so long, only realized when they were fighting the Hierophant. I only read about Hierophant in Tarot, so thats when I made the connection.

I blame Moynihan for that :)

TheOGB

Banned

I picked up on it a little when I noticed Hierophant and The Fool were in the same scene, but it's like my brain didn't complete the connection, lol.

*sees your username/avatar* Ohhhh

Yeah simply an amazing episode. It's amazing how they actually made BMO relatable via all its questioning about life and growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom