• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Seven: It's Never the Right Time to Wear Orange.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
nah, they aren't, they know the TV partners are going to give them some sweetener to not dilute the project

Kill the host to allow short term access to the festering wound. I understand why they are doing it, but I can't tell if they know or care that it will be to their long term detriment.

Don't you have basketball to look forward to now? ND has been pretty good the past couple of seasons, for a part time team.

Basketball is really the only major sport I don't enjoy. I never once went to a basketball game at ND. I did go to football, baseball, hockey, soccer, and lacrosse games.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The decision was UNANIMOUS?! lol! How deluded are the fucking members of this conference?

I don't know why so many people seem surprised at this. No good expansion options are available anymore.

Even TCU and WVU wouldn't have gotten in this round IMO. Not a stretch to say most people think the Big XII is destined to implode but it's still not as imminent today as it was when they were down to 8 and those two got in.

We don't need 12 now like we needed 10 then.

Big XII is trash and I hope they suffer the same fate as the Big East or WAC.

They deserve it. Conference is full of shit teams that think their shit don't stink. Especially outside of OU and UT.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
On throws travelling 20 yards or further downfield, Hurts has gone 14-for-40, and with two of those incompletions coming as a result of dropped passes. He has an adjusted accuracy percentage of 40.0 percent, ranking 18th among all quarterbacks, and the best among freshman signal callers.
I found this interesting. Lot of people (including myself) have felt like Hurts still has a long way to go in the passing game. Looks like he's actually doing pretty well though, and he's been improving nicely. His completion percentage on 20+ yard passes is nearly 20% higher in the last three games than it was in the first three. Think he still needs to work on passing better under pressure, which wasn't covered in that article.

Hurts is going to be a pain in the ass for the rest of the conference for the next 2-3 years. I for one am going to enjoy that.

I don't know why so many people seem surprised at this. No good expansion options are available anymore.

Even TCU and WVU wouldn't have gotten in this round IMO. Not a stretch to say most people think the Big XII is destined to implode but it's still not as imminent today as it was when they were down to 8 and those two got in.

We don't need 12 now like we needed 10 then.

Will the B12 just stay at 10 then? I doubt that's viable long term. It's not like their options are going to get any better either, TV contracts and greater stability are going to keep teams from any of the other P5 conferences from jumping ship to the B12.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
UCONN released its Big 12 presentation... honestly they were the best choice, just too far.

http://uconn.edu/public-notification/big-12/

I've always wondered why the ACC was so dead set against UConn. Rumors were that UConn tried to block BC from leaving the BE and there was bad blood between the schools so BC would veto any move to have them join. At this point there isn't anything marketshare wise they add, and you have to wonder how strong the brand is when selling the matchups. They were top tier in basketball when Calhoun was coach, but he retired, though Kevin Ollie has done pretty well. They are the team everyone loves to hate in women's hoops, but how far does that carry over for the rest of the conference. They are on and off in football, from OK to terrible and I'm not sure they could become a consistent threat.

I've always wondered why the ACC was so dead set against UConn. Rumors were that UConn tried to block BC from leaving the BE and there was bad blood between the schools so BC would veto any move to have them join. At this point there isn't anything marketshare wise they add, and you have to wonder how strong the brand is when selling the matchups. They were top tier in basketball when Calhoun was coach, but he retired, though Kevin Ollie has done pretty well. They are the team everyone loves to hate in women's hoops, but how far does that carry over for the rest of the conference. They are on and off in football, from OK to terrible and I'm not sure they could become a consistent threat.
Randy said it in OT, but apparetly Clemson and Florida State put their foot down and demanded Louisville for football rather than add UConn. Clemson and Florida State won.

Part of me dreams that the ACC would eventually embrace their niche as the basketball conference and add them and try and get Kansas.. that really would make The ACC tourney really fun.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The ACC had two issues.

The southern schools said despite it being a basketball conference that football rules the $$$ roost so they needed to add more football schools.

The ACC second point which the ACC ultimately caved on to some degree is they wanted some semblance of academic good standing. The Big 10 had a similar thought during their expansion. Hence why neither conference wanted say WVU.

They ultimately caved on #2 to satisfy #1 to some degree. They also didn't have a ton of choices in terms of expansion.

PS: Also people forget during that time frame Uconn was under NCAA investigation.

https://twitter.com/bonaguraespn/status/788163523276894208

Almost for percent of UCLA's run plays go for 0 or less yards. They average a conference worst 1.27 yards per carry between the tackles.

Also they were taking a ton of snaps from under center to start the season (as compared to recent years) and have abandoned that the last two games.

Turns out it can get worse than Noel Mazzone.

Tells you how much they miss Perkins when he moved on to the NFL.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Meltdown Time

Georgia, Michigan State, Texas Tech and Tennersee are our contestants this week

FY2rFIY.gif

Draxal

Uconn led the lawsuit against the ACC during the first raid, Blumenthal's folly.

Really though their problem is that you were good enough in basketball and not good enough in football, their one good football year happened to coincide when WVU decided to shit their pants. Just not enough football players in the Northeast, not enought to support BC/Syracuse/and Uconn especially since NJ/NY has become Osum/Mich/Psu recruiting stronghold.

ryseing

Randy said it in OT, but apparetly Clemson and Florida State put their foot down and demanded Louisville for football rather than add UConn. Clemson and Florida State won.

Part of me dreams that the ACC would eventually embrace their niche as the basketball conference and add them and try and get Kansas.. that really would make The ACC tourney really fun.

The ACC tournament is already really fun. If you haven't been in person, I highly recommend it. You have to balance the revenue sports in a world where football is king which is why I was fine with the Louisville add.

The ACC tournament is already really fun. If you haven't been in person, I highly recommend it. You have to balance the revenue sports in a world where football is king which is why I was fine with the Louisville add.
I wouldn't go because I'm not the biggest college basketball fan. I watched a lot of it last season.. it was fun to see. That's why I would hope that UConn would get added one day and maybe Kansas just to see the madness because outside of Kentucky, UCLA, and arguably Sparty.. that would be almost all of the BIG basketball schools right?

Well I guess nobody is gonna jump in Mirror Lake this year. It's drained and closed off for a year
That isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yep. I'm betting the smaller schools wanted to expand to stabilize the conference, but those same schools couldn't agree on teams that wouldn't also hurt them.

There's no way the wheels aren't being put in motion for all the major schools. I hope we get more leaks in the immediate future.

Karl2177

So I messed up last week and had 13 games in the pick 'em instead of 12. Since everyone picked FSU, I just ignored that game. I have to walk the dog, so I'll create this week's pick 'em and post it after that's done.

Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17J0KxBiOpJCixZIh-YPUIZTlFQvG3sUVss4_YlGi494/edit?usp=sharing

Code:
Week 7	Total	Username
8	47	Affeinvasion
12	55	ag
0	33	AlteredBeast
0	37	andycapps
0	29	Battlezone
0	30	BertramCooper
8	46	bpfd
9	50	BTM
10	47	Bucknuticus
9	42	cashman
8	46	Chicko1983
0	6	Chris R
10	46	Deacon
8	13	DorkLord54
11	50	Dsyndrome
10	52	ErnieMcCracken
8	49	felixorion
0	7	fgfdgdfg
8	51	FloydtheFathead
0	8	Frank Beamer
0	26	Frustrated_Grunt
8	43	Ganhyun
0	10	Garryk
0	33	GoldenEye 007
0	28	Googly Eyes Dog
0	14	GreenyMac
0	9	HeySeuss
0	16	Jerm411
7	52	jfkgoblue
0	8	Jhriad
11	60	jstevenson
7	47	Karl2177
0	10	Kawl_USC
0	9	Kenpokesbabrie
0	25	KingBrave1
0	4	LionPride
0	30	Lizardking
9	49	Lonestar
9	49	Mac the KNife
11	33	Monroeski
0	8	mre
11	57	MrJames
0	12	nobuyuki
0	34	OceanicAir
9	44	perfectchaos007
9	40	Quake1028
8	44	ryseing
10	58	sf2fanatic
0	13	Stooge
10	47	Subitai
0	23	Surge
0	36	Tebunker
0	5	tetromibi
0	38	TheLetdown
6	37	timetokill
0	4	Titanoboa
0	33	truly101
0	8	whytemyke
0	32	xeris
0	44	Yaboosh
9	53	zyxwvu4321

Top 20
60 jstevenson
58 sf2fanatic
57 MrJames
55 ag
53 zyxwvu4321
52 ErnieMcCracken
52 jfkgoblue
51 FloydtheFathead
50 BTM
50 Dsyndrome
49 felixorion
49 Lonestar
49 Mac the KNife
47 Affeinvasion
47 Bucknuticus
47 Karl2177
47 Subitai
46 bpfd
46 Chicko1983
46 Deacon

Im making my move! I was down in the basement but 2 strong weeks got me back!

Lonestar somehow doing good in this pickem unlike the podcast one....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I hate that you have a "how many minutes with A&M/Bama be on CBS" question. As someone who's going to the game, I'm not thrilled at the thought of a 6 hour game.

Top Bottom