• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

SapientWolf said:
I'm referring to the relatively small increase in performance that the 6xxx series had over its predecessors. It was nowhere near the jump between the 4xxx and 5xxx level of cards.

Yeah, I don't think the 6xxx was meant to be a big jump from the 5xxx series. The big jump should come with the 7xxx series.

Vitet

Shadows, DOF, POM, reflections. Wow this is amazing.
These bags and the garbage are awesome too
E443F12835DF3DD30D82291523984F4F54B60820

F9400F37E5393B482C68623E907D121C81EE6EA3

ChoklitReign said:
The monster-size screens and killer rigs are making me dangerously envious. I have some questions but keep in mind I haven't played C2 nor do I own a gaming PC yet.

1. What are the new general (e.g. Low, Medium, High, Max) graphics settings?
2. Can you play on medium settings in DX11? How far up can you set individual settings like tessellation?
3. Does DX9 have new graphics settings?

I'm confused how to set the graphics now with so many variables. You can have DX9 or DX11, you can have at least 4 different general settings, and then you have half a dozen lesser settings that can have as many as 4 different settings. You can play C2 with dozens of different graphics settings! How the hell do I know which ones are right for my (future) computer? As a model, let's say that I want a computer with an i3 2100 CPU and a 6850 GPU and my monitor's resolution is 1600x900. How far can I push it?

don't buy that for starters.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jesus, I still can't get over how everything goes together. The whole partile-orgasm is just too much for my eyes.

Now that they've fixed the flickering thing with my crossfired 5770's, I can finally justify that second card. It looks really, really nice.

DieH@rd

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I'm referring to the relatively small increase in performance that the 6xxx series had over its predecessors. It was nowhere near the jump between the 4xxx and 5xxx level of cards.

To be fair, TMSC botched their promises and AMD had to do major overhauls to try to adapt planned 32nm process back to 40nm [same as 5xxx]. They did a good job IMO.

7xxx series will be the big one, it will jump straigh into 28nm. Manufacturing is already started and everything is shaping up nicely for q3/q4 launch [just in time for Battlefield 3 :D ]

Smokey

evil solrac v3.0 said:
don't buy that for starters.

From what I understand the 2100 is a damn capable dual core that hangs or beats a quad core in certain situations. Of course it's not the best way to go for future proofing, but I think that processor is in one of the builds in the pc 2011 thread.

Trojan X

Banned
How About No said:
Alright, 5770 doesn't run quite as well during the game proper :p

Hmm, GTX 590 is the best at the moment? How much does that co-*spits coffee*

Still installing mine.

*sigh... Does that potentially mean that you and I are not quite ready for Battlefield 3 yet? :(

any benchies for SLI?

From what I understand the 2100 is a damn capable dual core that hangs or beats a quad core in certain situations. Of course it's not the best way to go for future proofing, but I think that processor is in one of the builds in the pc 2011 thread.

gaming situations? but considering how cheap quad cores are now, isn't worth it just to spend a bit extra?

Smokey

evil solrac v3.0 said:
any benchies for SLI?

gaming situations? but considering how cheap quad cores are now, isn't worth it just to spend a bit extra?

Yeah, but some people are on *strict* budgets and for them the i3 is really good.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
any benchies for SLI?

It very much is...

But you know what, people want to fuck themselves over in near future games that support more than 2 hardware threads to save 5 bucks, let them.

Normal people buy their cpu to last a few years, and bang for buck/future proofing a 955BE still shits on that cpu from great height.

That i3 combined with a feature stripped SB mobo is only for a total penny pinching instant satisfaction boner for intel and their premiums build.
It's also as locked down as can possibly be, no OC'ing if you get one.

neoism

ok so it crashed twice.. :( I have object on Ultra I really can't tell if I have tessellation or not, but the high res text are amazing... I have a i5X4/R5870/8GBram 64bit Win7

Smokey

Alright finally finished. Gonna see what my FPS looks like on Ultra everything.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 580 @ 900mhz
8GB RAM

Prepared for my machine to buckle for the first time.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Eww, my Crysis 2 won't update to 1.9 by itself... wtf, how do I force it to? Goddamn it.

edit: Oh, I was using the Crysis2.exe instead of the launcher. nice.

Trojan X

Banned
Mine not coming up with any ULTRA option. In fact, everything stays as before with graphical options only adjustable up to HARDCORE like before. What am I doing wrong? I installed Patch 1.9, Directx 11 and the high-res maps.

My system specs is:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.30mhz
12GB RAM @ 1600mhz
64-Bit OS
ATI Radeon 5770

Trojan X said:
Mine not coming up with any ULTRA option. In fact, everything stays as before with graphical options only adjustable up to HARDCORE like before. What am I doing wrong? I installed Patch 1.9, Directx 11 and the high-res maps.

My system specs is:

Intel i7 920 @ 3.30mhz
12GB RAM @ 1600mhz
64-Bit OS
ATI Radeon 5770

Hardcore? I don't have that in mine

Ok so performance with a single GTX 580 (unless it's been posted already). My rig is running a 2500k at 3.7ghz, 4GB RAM and a single GTX580 as noted. Hopefully I'll be up to 8GB of RAM by the end of the week.:) I'm playing at 1080p.

It's about a 15fps hit in peformance for me. Average framerate is about 48fps with drops down to 32 and highs at 60 (vsync and triple buffering on with D3DOverrider). I've not seen it drop below 30 as of yet. Though I'm early on right now.

1600x900 shots:

http://i51.tinypic.com/mr9qc6.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/j9pjjr.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2z4ab8p.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/v4036s.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/3093874.jpg

Downsized from 1080p to 720P:

2s10mxc.jpg

29asehj.jpg

2u91y89.jpg

Reallink

Smokey said:

When you consider it's probably already holding you back a bit in a few titles optimized for QC, and the fact that for the price of a single full price game you could upgrade to a CPU that will remain relevant for 3-4+ years (OC'ed i5 2500K), no one who has any idea what they're doing or what they're talking about would opt for a dual core i3. It's just a horrible value and an incredibly foolish purchase. I'm dumb and poor as dirt, and wouldn't even think about it.

Trojan X

Banned
-bakalhau- said:
Hardcore? I don't have that in mine

What preset graphic options do you have on yours?

Mine says GAMER, ADVANCED, HARDCORE. :( Nothing else. Just these same standard default that came with the game.

Trojan X said:
What preset graphic options do you have on yours?

Mine says GAMER, ADVANCED, HARDCORE. :( Nothing else. Just these same standard default that came with the game.
Sounds like completely unpatched crysis 2 to me.

Trojan X said:
*sigh... How annoying. Got to install ANOTHER program? Is there no choice on that matter?
No, there really isn't another choice.

You have to get the updated versions of the game from Origins and you have to download the DX11 texture packs from mycrysis.com. If you've found that nobody seems to be playing Crysis 2 online...it's because of this.

Dreams-Visions said:
yep.

baka & Trojan, you need to install Origins and run the game from there.

I'm fine :lol Been playing for a few hours today already. Guess... I'm gonna hop on multipayer now... Aaand hope I don't get annoyed in less than 15 minutes.

Edit: I don't think it'll work with the demo... It's a multiplaye demo anyway and really not a good way to see the improvements.

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
Okay guys here I go:

32bit OS
Q6600
HD 6850
3GB RAM
1440 x 900

This system could pretty much max the game out on DX9. Wish me luck.

Just tried it out without the hi-res pack. Almost, but not quite. I don't have FRAPS or anything (is there a console command to show fps?), but most of the time it feels like 20-30fps. I would honestly settle for a stable 30fps.

If I could figure out which setting controls tessellation and turn that back down to Extreme I might be okay. In the early parts I can't really see that many surfaces that use tessellation to great effect but the other post processing effects look much better.

Wow, the tessellation on the rocks before the (first) base is TERRIBLE. I would've posted a screen, but I forgot to open thru Steam and Print Screen didn't seem to work.

Everything else looks very nice. Just don't look at stuff close up :p

The swaying trees in the wind look very nice, along with their shadows. I never noticed them before, not sure if this is new.

SneakyStephan said:
It very much is...

But you know what, people want to fuck themselves over in near future games that support more than 2 hardware threads to save 5 bucks, let them.

Normal people buy their cpu to last a few years, and bang for buck/future proofing a 955BE still shits on that cpu from great height.

That i3 combined with a feature stripped SB mobo is only for a total penny pinching instant satisfaction boner for intel and their premiums build.
It's also as locked down as can possibly be, no OC'ing if you get one.

The game doesn't care if it's a "hardware" thread. While 2 HT threads aren't as good as 2 real threads, they provide about 60% of the performance. There is no reason not to get an i3 if you don't want to spend a lot of money just to play games(nothing wrong with that).

I've been PC gaming for close to 20 years and have never bought a high-end rig and never had trouble playing 98% of the games out at the time I've had on each system maxed out.

My current system is an i3 540@4.4, 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz and on overclocked 6870 and couldn't be happier with it. This CPU shits all over anything AMD has out right now for games, and at worst matching it. An i3 2100 is about equal to a Phenom II x4 at 3.5-3.7, so plenty for playing games. In stuff like Starcraft 2 or ports, there is no comparison.

People overestimate what kind of hardware you need,especially since you CAN'T futureproof a rig. It's impossible. People that spend 2k on their system typically upgrade at the same rate someone that spent 700 and at best only enjoyed a few more games running at higher settings at a higher resolution.

I had a Phenom II x4(some Athlon IIs as well) system and it's a joke people(myself included) recommended AMD for budget gaming when the i3s were cheaper and far better suited for gaming.

Kenka

Reallink said:
When you consider it's probably already holding you back a bit in a few titles optimized for QC, and the fact that for the price of a single full price game you could upgrade to a CPU that will remain relevant for 3-4+ years (OC'ed i5 2500K), no one who has any idea what they're doing or what they're talking about would opt for a dual core i3. It's just a horrible value and an incredibly foolish purchase. I'm dumb and poor as dirt, and wouldn't even think about it.

No it isn't. It is a real good purchase, I did buy one after having read the Anandtech test about Sandy Bridge CPUs performance while gaming ;) The dual core is some damn fine weapon.

Reallink said:

Huh? Where can you buy an OC'ed i5 2500k for the $50-60?

Top Bottom