• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

My system keeps crashing when I try to load a multiplayer game if I try running it from Steam---then I try starting from origins and I can't get past the main screen (I Got a disc version)

I"m just going to uninstall/install and hope. 2 gb 6950 unlocked to 6970 here

Red

RoboPlato said:
This is one of my favorite games of the year but I only have the PS3 version so I am living vicariously through all of the screens and videos. Keep 'em coming! Where's my DennisK4 signal when I need it?
He doesn't have a DX11 card.

TheExodu5

Banned
Heh wow, they added a side by side 3D option. I'm going to have to try that out for fun.

edit: maybe my TV is too big to make it work very well. Now my eyes hurt. Enough of that!

edit2: hmmm SLI doesn't really seem to be working anymore.

Tom Penny

I don't get it. Everytime I install DX11 and the texture pack it says I already have them then in the game I don't have any extra options.

I bought this game at launch but was rocking a 6800 GT at the time (rig circa 2003).

I finished my new rig two weeks ago (i7 2600k + GTX 570).

Hell. Yes. These pics and videos have me SALIVATING!

ph33nix said:
Every time I load the game from Origins it crashes before it even starts. WTF :(

Are you by chance using RadeonPro or whatever equivalent Nvidia has? If so either turn that off or disable the profile Crysis 2 is using.

How About No said:
Are you by chance using RadeonPro or whatever equivalent Nvidia has? If so either turn that off or disable the profile Crysis 2 is using.

Catalyst? Yeah---I actually got the game to load, but now it crashes when I join a game. And I was able to play earlier...I'll try this though

^ Catalyst is fine. Mine quit the first time I booted it, then it was fine every time after.
Tom Penny said:
I don't get it. Everytime I install DX11 and the texture pack it says I already have them then in the game I don't have any extra options.
It should be under Graphics and Advanced Graphics.

If you don't see them, it's because you haven't installed the 1.9 patch. Install Origins and start Crysis 2 from there. It will update the game. It's the only way it updates. It's pretty janky like that.

Running @50-60 most of the time for me.

Have yet to see any ocean water to see any framerate drop lower than that.

Will post pics on a bit.

Everything on Ultra @1920x1080

So I didn't do anything but make the GPU clock settings default, then I loaded the game and it seemed fine?

Stay this way please...

Pimpbaa

Pimpbaa said:
Damn, everything looks so goddamn nice on ultra but my geforce 460 screams out in pain. Am I getting any of the dx11 effects with everything set to extreme? I know I'm losing POM and tessellation.

Answering partially my own question here, but I am noticing a definite performance increase using dx11 vs dx9 using the same non ultra settings (I get an almost constant 60fps at 1080p with everything on very high). Still not sure if i'm getting any additional effects in dx11 at those settings however.

Hulud

Wait...so this game is now making 580s sweat? I can't tell from the videos posted, but is there really more going on graphics-wise than in Battlefield 3?

-GOUKI-

Hulud said:
Wait...so this game is now making 580s sweat? I can't tell from the videos posted, but is there really more going on graphics-wise than in Battlefield 3?
Gonna have to say it looks better than the BF3 footage for me. The game in DX9 is already better looking then 95% of games even in DX11. Turning on the DX11 makes it the best looking game available imo.

Not just that but its definatly the best implementation of Tessalation in any game. No game is using it as much as crysis 2.

Smokey

Hulud said:

Yep. I was averaging 46 fps during my play earlier with it dipping into the 30s when it got intense.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried it. It might have just been the section where I was at, but the difference wasn't mind blowing. Performance was still >60fps with my 2x GTX 570 (though it got down to the low 60s), so there's that.

@ Smokey, I guess that judging by that, I'd expect to drop below 60fps at points as well.

Anyways, the changes are nice, but subtle. The lighting doesn't seem all that much better, which is my biggest gripe with the game. The lighting engine might be technically good, but it's implemented with such poor artistic direction that it really hurts the overall product. In my eyes, BF3 looks a lot better thanks to the lighting alone.

scitek

Pimpbaa said:
Answering partially my own question here, but I am noticing a definite performance increase using dx11 vs dx9 using the same non ultra settings (I get an almost constant 60fps at 1080p with everything on very high). Still not sure if i'm getting any additional effects in dx11 at those settings however.

Was gonna say this as well. DX11 with everything on Extreme runs smoother for me than DX9 used to, and so does DX9.

So, I can run the game decently with everything on Ultra, then I hit stages like Corporate Collapse and the tessellation causes my framerate to go into the teens. With everything on Ultra and "Object" on Extreme, I can maintain a solid capped 30fps. Wish I could control the POM separately from the tessellation.

Smokey

So what is tessellation on exactly? I thought it was on bricks? Or is that only certain parts? I'm walking through the levels and the bricks look the same. Don't seem to have that depth that they have in those Crytek shots.

scitek

Smokey said:
So what is tessellation on exactly? I thought it was on bricks? Or is that only certain parts? I'm walking through the levels and the bricks look the same. Don't seem to have that depth that they have in those Crytek shots.

Anything on the walls that has extra depth, I think, since POM is only used on the ground.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is tessellated considering my framerate nosedives when I walk through it.

crysis2.exe_2011-06-27gp9h.png

I just played a bit on Extreme with DX11. Assuming everything is the same as Extreme in DX9 and not ratcheted down a notch with there now being a higher setting, they've done a fucking incredible job with optimization. I now get a rock-solid 60fps provided I don't shoot a wall directly in front of me or something. When the game first launched I was getting 45-60fps. And if I run everything on Ultra with "Object" on Extreme, I'm pulling 50fps much of the time. Just crazy stuff considering how good it looks.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
scitek said:
Anything on the walls that has extra depth, I think, since POM is only used on the ground.

I just played a bit on Extreme with DX11. Assuming everything is the same as Extreme in DX9 and not ratcheted down a notch with there now being a higher setting, they've done a fucking incredible job with optimization. I now get a rock-solid 60fps provided I don't shoot a wall directly in front of me or something. When the game first launched I was getting 45-60fps. And if I run everything on Ultra with "Object" on Extreme, I'm pulling 50fps much of the time. Just crazy stuff considering how good it looks.
What GPU and res are you at?

Waikis

ColonialRaptor said:
Why?

I'm not talking shit out my ass... My single 5970 ran the game at about 40 to 45 frames at 2560 before on Extreme, what's so hard to believe about two 6950's in Crossfire running it at 60+? That's not out there at all!

I forgot I posted in this thread : p. There must have been something wrong with my configuration, I can only run this game at about 50+ fps on average with 4.0ghz i7 and 2x6970 even with the latest caps. (2560 res)

Smokey

Waikis said:
I forgot I posted in this thread : p. There must have been something wrong with my configuration, I can only run this game at about 50+ fps on average with 4.0ghz i7 and 2x6970 even with the latest caps. (2560 res)

That doesn't SOUND right.

I have a 580 and I hovered around the 60 fps range, often times higher. This is on Extreme with everything maxed. I'm assuming you're using latest driver? Or could just be the Nvidia money hats.

Smokey said:
That doesn't right.

I have a 580 and I hovered around the 60 fps range, often times higher. This is on Extreme with everything maxed. I'm assuming you're using latest driver? Or could just be the Nvidia money hats.

Are you sure you enabled DX11? Object set to Ultra? Your GPU should be weeping.

NBtoaster

Special J said:
what kind of anti aliasing is the game using because its causing alot of noise. looks like DLAA.

Cryteks own solutions, postMSAA and edgeAA. There are varying levels of quality and blur (and ghosting).

Veal

Man! I thought the game looked good on DX9! This shit looks like a movie at times, though it's slaughtering my poor compy! Highest I got was 58 fps and the lowest so far was 20. I can deal with 30+blur but once it gets down to 25 and lower it gets REALLY choppy.

Radeon 6870
Phenom II X4 970
4 gigs RAM
D3DOverrider

Everything set to Ultra. I'm pleased that my computer can still pump out very playable frame rates with everything on like that. I guess all that talk they did about optimization wasn't just fluff!

Smokey

How About No said:
Are you sure you enabled DX11? Object set to Ultra? Your GPU should be weeping.

In that post I was referring to DX9. The post he was quoting was also referring to Extreme settings (couple days before this patch hit).

After doing a longer test with FRAPS, looks like I average around 44-47 fps with ULTRA and the Hi-Res pack. Here's a couple pics I took just messing around :

5C75CA755C974416F3618530A78F62C14AA1D973

56A194E27487656116426040EB9E4EB808A664E3

7EED655D2C615084C8D5413401A2D4EB5B8A8F58

strata8

Does the new tone mapping really make this much difference? It looks so much better in this shot:
11cgmsh.jpg

This is the problem I had with CE3 before the update; the lighting didn't seem as 'real' as it did in CE2. It looks like this fixes that.

Also, what the hell is wrong with abload.de? Scitek's pics are loading at around 1kb/s.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep. Tone mapping is without a doubt one of the biggest improvements. That coupled with the new shadow system makes for glorious looking environments.

For those of you who felt Crysis 1 is more impressive visually than Crysis 2 and had a chance to play with DX11 Crysis 2, do you still feel that way? How much more impressive do you find DX11 C2 than DX9 C2?

squicken

Not going to play this until I get a second 460 to SLI, and I won't be doing that until the card makers stop with the rebate stuff and just lower the price.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
If you don't have a dx11 card, what exactly do the ultra settings change? There doesn't seem to be a dx10 path at all. Some of this stuff (like POM) should not require dx11.

Top Bottom