• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

markao

Not mine, but that new Bokeh (distance) looks even better than the old one.

nachtk7i7.jpg

Pimpbaa

Stupid game keeps wanting to run at 24Hz mode on my tv. Apparently some people had the same issue with Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

vilmer_

Alt tabbing seems to bork the full screen option now for me :/ Have to manually disable and then re-enable it after an alt tab.

BlackDove said:
Not to be a dick, but I found your problem right there.

Not really, I have my PC hooked up to a 60inch plasma. TV's are more or less monitors now anyway.

It's an issue with the game, not whatever TV he has hooked up, I'm sure.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
bloodforge said:
Not really, I have my PC hooked up to a 60inch plasma. TV's are more or less monitors now anyway.

It's an issue with the game, not whatever TV he has hooked up, I'm sure.
The issue is when you combine Cryengine with TVs over HDMI IIRC. Insanely fucking retarded how they refuse to fix it.

n0n44m

Pimpbaa said:
Stupid game keeps wanting to run at 24Hz mode on my tv. Apparently some people had the same issue with Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

I got a fix! (for me at least)

had same issue with Crysis 1/Warhead ... was apparently some DX10 only bug? freakin annoying anyway

actually for me it was 1080p 50hz instead of 24hz, but it still resulted in crappy/laggy framerates and terrible image quality do to the way my TV works

So I just spent another 90 mins (AGAIN) looking for a solution, still not finding anything

-tried to edit and reinstall Nvidia driver so they only show the resolutions/refresh rates I like, no dice (did manage to get rid of a lot of resolutions but 1080p 50/59 hz still exist )

-tried to make custom driver for monitor only support 720p, in hope that when reinstalling nvidia driver it would ignore all those other resolutions, still no results :(

so now I got pissed and booted up crysis 2 for the 10th time this evening, and while dicking around with the options I suddenly noticed I now had 60 hz. How?

==> 1. boot game
2. go to options
3. select a resolution that WILL do 60 hz (for me it was 1280*1024 (not a 16:9 resolution ... interesting?))
4. click cancel when it asks you want to save settings
5. PROFIT as it goes back to 1080p but now sticks to 60 hz

hope it works for you guys as well, definitely made it just as smooth as pre-dx11-patch again (provided I get the same FPS lol)

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Pimpbaa said:
Wrong and wrong. Stop being stupid, I'd rather play on my 40 inch tv while in my recliner.
I'd rather play on my 32 inch that I use for a monitor while sitting about a yard away from it. My eyes hate me, but I'm well entertained.

BlackDove

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Wrong and wrong. Stop being stupid, I'd rather play on my 40 inch tv while in my recliner.

Yes, I play on my 100" Full HD projector, in my recliner, with a custom made support for the PC in wood, retractable monitor on the side, and full 5.1 surround sound.

What's your point?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pimpbaa said:
What don't you understand? The engine has a bug that forces 24 hz when played over HDMI on HDTVs. It isn't a preferential thing and fixing it isn't a guarantee.

TheExodu5

Banned
Pimpbaa said:

Solution: create a custom resolution in your video card control panel. Just create a resolution with 1920*1080 and 60Hz. Use that resolution instead of the default 1080p. Crysis should run at 60Hz then.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
Solution: create a custom resolution in your video card control panel. Just create a resolution with 1920*1080 and 60Hz. Use that resolution instead of the default 1080p. Crysis should run at 60Hz then.
It didn't work for me this time on the Nvidia control panel, it just tells me that it is already in the list.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Stallion Free said:
What don't you understand? The engine has a bug that forces 24 hz when played over HDMI on HDTVs. It isn't a preferential thing and fixing it isn't a guarantee.
Luckily I don't use HDMI! VGA for life. Actually works a shitload better than HDMI with this TV.

Pimpbaa

BlackDove said:
Yes, I play on my 100" Full HD projector.

What's your point?

And I play at 1920x1080p, what's your fucking problem? I don't want to sit in front of a monitor and apparently neither do you.

Pimpbaa

Stallion Free said:

I know it has a bug. He is saying there is something inherently wrong about pc gaming on a HDTV.

It didn't work for me this time on the Nvidia control panel, it just tells me that it is already in the list.

Doesn't work for me either.

n0n44m

Stallion Free said:

yeah same here, I just spent an hour editing Nvidia drivers and monitor .inf's but the control panel just automatically adds a bunch of HDTV resolutions

I guess it gets them from the monitor/TV's EDID or something?

anyway posted a Crysis2 "fix" (workaround) a few posts back that works for me

TheExodu5

Banned
Works for me. =\

NVidia Control Panel
Display -> Change Resolution
Customize
Create Custom Resolution...

Stallion Free said:
Except he isn't?

When he started his post with "Not to be a dick", that was the impression I got.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
When he started his post with "Not to be a dick", that was the impression I got.
...But then I thought about it and read some other posts and it became exceedingly clear that that isn't what he meant.

NeoandGeo

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Works for me. =\

NVidia Control Panel
Customize

Not working for me. It says it is a duplicate resolution.

Pimpbaa

n0n44m said:
yeah same here, I just spent an hour editing Nvidia drivers and monitor .inf's but the control panel just automatically adds a bunch of HDTV resolutions

I guess it gets them from the monitor/TV's EDID or something?

anyway posted a Crysis2 "fix" (workaround) a few posts back that works for me

Yeah, that fix works for now. Absolutely stupid that this issue has been there since Crysis 1 (in dx10 mode).

n0n44m

TheExodu5 said:
Works for me. =\

NVidia Control Panel
Customize

Fuuuuu
uuuuuu...

it just keeps on claiming the resolution already exists, but it's not there :( only 1080p on HDTV with the weird 50/59 refresh rates Cryengine loves

never had an issue with any other game though, just Crysis DX10 and Crysis 2 DX11 :( luckily I can get it working with some steps now ... it's just lazy programming on their side :mad:

Horsemama1956 said:
The game doesn't care if it's a "hardware" thread. While 2 HT threads aren't as good as 2 real threads, they provide about 60% of the performance. There is no reason not to get an i3 if you don't want to spend a lot of money just to play games(nothing wrong with that).

I've been PC gaming for close to 20 years and have never bought a high-end rig and never had trouble playing 98% of the games out at the time I've had on each system maxed out.

My current system is an i3 540@4.4, 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz and on overclocked 6870 and couldn't be happier with it. This CPU shits all over anything AMD has out right now for games, and at worst matching it. An i3 2100 is about equal to a Phenom II x4 at 3.5-3.7, so plenty for playing games. In stuff like Starcraft 2 or ports, there is no comparison.

People overestimate what kind of hardware you need,especially since you CAN'T futureproof a rig. It's impossible. People that spend 2k on their system typically upgrade at the same rate someone that spent 700 and at best only enjoyed a few more games running at higher settings at a higher resolution.

I had a Phenom II x4(some Athlon IIs as well) system and it's a joke people(myself included) recommended AMD for budget gaming when the i3s were cheaper and far better suited for gaming.
High five. I know what to expect with a budget build and the people claiming that AMD or i5 CPUs have better value must not browse the official PC hardware thread. It looks like C2 improves graphics for anyone with a DX11 card and I'll find some combination that will perform well.

Fuck... my two 6950's unlocked to 6970's have NO HOPE running this at 2560x1440.

GOD DAMMIT... there is virtually nothing on the face of the planet that can run that properly other than perhaps 2x 580's but I didn't want to plonk on those yet...

Next Gen of cards... next gen of cards... *sigh* so much cash... too much cash :(

So it looks amazing huh!

BlackDove said:
Yes, I play on my 100" Full HD projector, in my recliner, with a custom made support for the PC in wood, retractable monitor on the side, and full 5.1 surround sound.

What's your point?
Well i play on my personal Imax screen, with my custom made quantum computer, while hanging from a Denel AH-2 (piloted by one of Sikorsky's grandsons) with cables Mission Imposible style.

Now what's your point?

Cryengine has problems with HDTVs over HDMI? I've been playing Crysis 1 and 2 on a Sony Bravia all this time, I didn't seem to have any problems. Unless I didn't notice and have been doing it wrong all this time D:

How well will my 5770 do lol?

If you can play Ocarina of Time on N64 fine, you'll be fine here too.

:p

Edit: Bokeh shot at the top of the page looks incredible!

ChoklitReign said:
High five. I know what to expect with a budget build and the people claiming that AMD or i5 CPUs have better value must not browse the official PC hardware thread. It looks like C2 improves graphics for anyone with a DX11 card and I'll find some combination that will perform well.

As far as I'm concerned it's 3 years late, and still only a dual core.

For the same money (and with a cheaper mobo) you had a phenom II 720BE 3 core back in 2008, which after a simple multiplier change in the bios performed as well as an i7 920 at standard clocks.

Again, that i3 2100 is fully locked so you can't oc it and are stuck with the out of the box performance.

The phenom will perform the same as the i3, scaling with an extra core in games that support it, and once again... was sold at the same price 3 years ago.

If you want to buy a locked dual core that competes with a similarly priced 3 year old cpu, knock yourself out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ChoklitReign said:
It really depends on how often you upgrade. Quad core optimized titles like GTAIV and World in Conflict are the exceptions right now but they could eventually be the rule, and I wouldn't count on cpu prices going down when a socket becomes obsolete. If titles ever become unplayable on a dual core you'd have no cost efficient choice other than to start all over with a new mobo. I got burned by going single core in a similar fashion.

Red

Stallion Free said:
Adding 1920,1080,60 to shortcut properties always fixed the issue for me in C1.

Reallink

LovingSteam said:
Huh? Where can you buy an OC'ed i5 2500k for the $50-60?

Do huh now? Core i3 2100 is like $130. i5 2500k is like $200. It's a $70 difference, more or less the cost of a single full price title.

Smokey

Smokey said:
Alright finally finished. Gonna see what my FPS looks like on Ultra everything.

Core i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz
GTX 580 @ 900mhz
8GB RAM

Prepared for my machine to buckle for the first time.

Alright. After messing around it looks like my min framerate is 32 max 52. I got an average of 46.29 according to FRAPS. This is with 8x AF in the Control Panel along with Triple Buffering and V Sync forced through the Control Panel. Everything at ULTRA.

16X AA just kills my card. Game kept crashing. It was also using 1200MB or so of RAM on my card :O

Damn if it didn't look good though :p

Pimpbaa

Damn, everything looks so goddamn nice on ultra but my geforce 460 screams out in pain. Am I getting any of the dx11 effects with everything set to extreme? I know I'm losing POM and tessellation.

vilmer_

Pimpbaa said:
Damn, everything looks so goddamn nice on ultra but my geforce 460 screams out in pain. Am I getting any of the dx11 effects with everything set to extreme? I know I'm losing POM and tessellation.

I hear you on that. This 460 is begging for mercy lol. I tried everything on ultra, then knocked shading back to extreme and gained a good 10+ fps. Still dips into the mid 20's at times though :/ Need to find that sweet spot with the settings.

Multiplayer with 6950 with ULTRA set for Game Effects, Object, Particles and Post-Processing, and EXTREME set for Shading, Shadows, and Water)

Sanctuary: 30-45fps
Terminal: 35-55fps
Statue/Evac Zone: 24-40fps
Lighthouse: 30-40fps
Impact: 32-57fps
Downed Bird: 27-45fps
Wall Street: 40-60fps
Parking Deck: 35-45fps

To nobody's surprise, smaller maps are more stable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is one of my favorite games of the year but I only have the PS3 version so I am living vicariously through all of the screens and videos. Keep 'em coming! Where's my DennisK4 signal when I need it?

Top Bottom