• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Football 2013 - The catchall thread

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
FANTASY FOOTBALL!

pn0VYJ0.jpg

Ooops. Wrong fantasy.

This thread is dedicated to diehard and casual fantasy football degenerates, alike. Feel free to ask questions, about your league, your roster, who you should start, whatever.

It's also going to serve as the default thread for the cat.gif and stragglers' leagues. And any other gaf leagues feel free to join in.

If anyone has some favorite ff resources, post them here and I can link them in the op.

Onto the team list!
cat.gif league said:
Draft on Sun Sep 1 12:00pm MDT

Division 1
Training Camp HOFers
Bellicheck Yourselfs
Baby Back Cribbs
Freeman is Fat
Bolts to LA (Saerk)
chuck's chumps

Division 2
Dark Lord Brady
Monocled Corgis
Tebow Saves
Brady Killers
Dirrty Birdz
AGod2HOFinley4SB

stragglers league said:
Draft on Sat Aug 31 2:00pm MDT

Division 1
Red Dragons
snes alt v22.7
Brinbe
Foles Future
SanchezHogDogXpress
chuckd's chumpsters

Division 2
Newton Ninja Turtles
Tony G's Atkins Diet
Mile High Sexy Asses
Vick'sVaporRub
The Llamas of Wedge
1.21 JJWatts
gl/hf

Greg

Everyone should draft Jermichael Finley in the 3rd round - he's about to put up Megatron numbers.

I know almost nothing about football and here's my autodrafted team in a 10 person league.

1. (9) C.J. Spiller RB
2. (12) Jamaal Charles RB
3. (29) Maurice Jones-Drew RB
4. (32) Stevan Ridley RB
5. (49) Andre Johnson WR
6. (52) Dwayne Bowe WR
7. (69) Antonio Brown WR
8. (72) Jason Witten TE
9. (89) Ben Roethlisberger QB
10. (92) Seattle DEF
11. (109) Phil Dawson K
12. (112) Giovani Bernard RB
13. (129) Ronnie Hillman RB
14. (132) Fred Davis TE
15. (149) Michael Floyd WR
16. (152) Bryce Brown RB

Thoughts? Advice? Scorn? Ridicule?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I know almost nothing about football and here's my autodrafted team in a 10 person league.

1. (9) C.J. Spiller RB
2. (12) Jamaal Charles RB
3. (29) Maurice Jones-Drew RB
4. (32) Stevan Ridley RB
5. (49) Andre Johnson WR
6. (52) Dwayne Bowe WR
7. (69) Antonio Brown WR
8. (72) Jason Witten TE
9. (89) Ben Roethlisberger QB
10. (92) Seattle DEF
11. (109) Phil Dawson K
12. (112) Giovani Bernard RB
13. (129) Ronnie Hillman RB
14. (132) Fred Davis TE
15. (149) Michael Floyd WR
16. (152) Bryce Brown RB

Thoughts? Advice? Scorn? Ridicule?

That's a lot of running backs. Perhaps try to package a couple of them for a top line wr or qb.

WedgeX

Banned
Won my main league last year, and so got the last draft spot of a snake draft. Ended up thusly.

1. Stevan Ridley (RB)
2. Calvin Johnson (WR) - keeper
3. Andre Johnson (WR)
4. Victor Cruz (WR)
5. Lamar Miller (RB)
6. Andrew Luck (QB)
7. Greg Olson (TE)
8. T.Y. Hilton (WR)
9. Travis Kelchy (TE)
10. NYG (DEF)
11. Ben Roethlisburger (QB)
12. Christine Michael (RB)
13. Garrett Hartley (PK)
14. James Laurenitis (LB for IDP)
15. Shonn Greene (RB)

Team setup is qb-wr-wr-rb-rb-te-w/r/t-k-def-idp. There's a 16th roster spot to be filled via waiver wire. Feeling good about my qb's, wd's, and te's. But running back I feel awful shaky about. Have historically been a bad drafter of running backs. Some day.

Bowser

Quick question (I only got one answer in the NFL OT this past weekend): I started a new job two months ago and just signed up for the work league, where to my horror I found out that passing TDs count for 6 points, not the standard 4. WTF?

Anyway, does this mean I should target a read option QB (Cam/Kaep/RG3/Russ/(maybe)Luck) with my first or second pick?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If you're going to target a qb early and td passes are worth 6, shouldn't you go for a qb that passes for td's?

squicken

Quick question (I only got one answer in the NFL OT this past weekend): I started a new job two months ago and just signed up for the work league, where to my horror I found out that passing TDs count for 6 points, not the standard 4. WTF?

Anyway, does this mean I should target a read option QB (Cam/Kaep/RG3/Russ/(maybe)Luck) with my first or second pick?

I would think if anything it makes running QBs less likely to go early. So less reason to go early and get a read-option guy, but probably more urgency to get an elite thrower

All of the leagues I've ever played in are 6 points.

Second or third pick at the highest.

JABEE

I heard Keyshawn Johnson is going to have a great year this season. He's going in the first round in so many leagues.

Bowser

If you're going to target a qb early and td passes are worth 6, shouldn't you go for a qb that passes for td's?

Well since both passing and rushing TDs are worth 6 points, I figured a guy who's good at both would be good to target, but I guess it makes sense to target Stafford/Peypey/Brees/Brady since their passing TD totals are likely to be more than the combined rushing/passing TDs of guys like Cam and Kaep.

DSmalls84

Brees and Rodgers are the gold standard for pass heavy QBs. I would try to get them first and foremost if you are going to spend an early pick on a QB. Stafford offers good late round value and could have a huge year but his TDs dropped from like 45 to 20 last year so he is definitely not a sure thing.

@ Bowser I would still get RBs early even with 6 points per passing td. There is just so much depth to the QB position compared to RB.

mr2xxx

Banned
10 Team PPR @ 5th spot. 2wr, 2rb, 1 flex

P. Manning
Luck

McCoy
Bush
MJD
B. Green Ellis
Danny Woodhead

Reggie Wayne
Hakeem Nicks
Tavon Austin
Josh Gordon
C. Patterson

Gonzo

Chicago D

Janikowski

Meier

Here's my team from an Auction draft. I wasn't paying attention on my 15th pick and the game nominated the Cardinals over the Ravens which surprised me. Probably won't blow a waiver wire use on them but will try and snag a different D once we're past the 29th. Decided to go young with Lacy, Ball and Brown. I have established back-ups behind them.. hoping McFadden can somehow stay healthy. He's burned me in the past on a 1st round pick but also been good to me. I keep ending up with him for better or for worse..

QB Drew Brees NO - QB
WR Andre Johnson Hou - WR
WR Victor Cruz NYG - WR
RB Ray Rice Bal - RB
RB Montee Ball Den - RB
TE Kyle Rudolph Min - TE
W/R/T Eddie Lacy RB - GB
K Blair Walsh Min - K
DEF Chicago Chi - DEF

BN Rob Gronkowski NE - TE
BN Darren McFadden Oak - RB
BN Mike Williams TB - WR
BN Joe Flacco Bal - QB
BN Vincent Brown SD - WR
BN Arizona Ari - DEF

Thats a pretty damn good team. IDK how auction works 100% so I'm not sure if you fleeced the rest of the league but that looks pretty solid.

DSmalls84

So does everyone recommend RB-RB-QB-WR-WR-TE-RB? Or what is your preferred drafting style in snake?

RB-RB-QB-WR-RB-WR were my first six picks this year but it really depends on who you are drafting with/pick. Round 2 is kind of tricky as well depending on your pick. If you can get a guy like Forte or Morris early in the 2nd you are good but if you get a later pick you might want to grab a receiver like Marshall or Green.

For TE this year if you don't get Graham in the second you basically have two more spots to grab one.

Round 5-6 - Witten, Gonzales, Davis
Round 8> - Finley, Myers, Gates, Etc

I just waited until the late rounds at this year because it seems like there is a ton of TE depth at the end of the draft and it's pretty bottom heavy this year.

DSmalls84

My team for my 12 man standard league this year. Note: My league allows a total of 8 combined RB/WR per team as a rule. Thus I have extra DEF/TE on my bench.

QB- Andrew Luck
WR- Marshawn Lynch
WR- Ray Rice
RB- Dermaryous Thomas
RB- Mike Wallace
TE- Brandon Myers
W/R- Eddie Lacy
K- Josh Brown
DEF- Cardinals

BN- Andy Dalton
BN- Giovani Bernard
BN- Antonio Gates
BN- T.Y. Hilton
BN- Emmanual Sanders
BN- Chargers Def

Meier

Thats a pretty damn good team. IDK how auction works 100% so I'm not sure if you fleeced the rest of the league but that looks pretty solid.

It's a 10-team league rather than 12 so there's a pretty deep pool. Auction drafts are great but take awhile.. and if someone isn't there, it can get annoying because the computer will autobid up if it's a position of need to the average price so you can never get a "deal" on someone even if no one else there is interested or bows out from the bidding. Here were my results:

1. (8) Ray Rice (Bal - RB) $52
2. (11) Andre Johnson (Hou - WR) $37
3. (23) Drew Brees (NO - QB) $43
4. (31) Blair Walsh (Min - K) $4
5. (33) Victor Cruz (NYG - WR) $24
6. (37) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE) $11
7. (44) Montee Ball (Den - RB) $10
8. (50) Darren McFadden (Oak - RB) $7
9. (54) Eddie Lacy (GB - RB) $6
10. (84) Chicago (Chi - DEF) $1
11. (94) Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE) $1
12. (121) Mike Williams (TB - WR) $1
13. (129) Joe Flacco (Bal - QB) $1
14. (135) Vincent Brown (SD - WR) $1
15. (141) Arizona (Ari - DEF) $1

Everyone starts with a $200 budget and then you nominate a player and it starts the bidding from whatever you set as the initial price (usually just $1 because people are lazy). Most people are getting low on cash after about the first 6-7 picks so you can get some nice squad players on the cheap. I probably paid too much for AJ but oh well. Walsh for $4 is maybe a $1 too much on average but someone nominated him and I wanted the best kicker so I was happy to buy him then.

RB-RB-QB-WR-RB-WR were my first six picks this year but it really depends on who you are drafting with/pick. Round 2 is kind of tricky as well depending on your pick. If you can get a guy like Forte or Morris early in the 2nd you are good but if you get a later pick you might want to grab a receiver like Marshall or Green.

For TE this year if you don't get Graham in the second you basically have two more spots to grab one.

Round 5-6 - Witten, Gonzales, Davis
Round 8> - Finley, Myers, Gates, Etc

I just waited until the late rounds at this year because it seems like there is a ton of TE depth at the end of the draft and it's pretty bottom heavy this year.

Hmm okay it just seems that QB at third is always a tricky position because you lose out on those top 2 to 5 guys. But I guess there are so many good QBs in the league right now that it doesn't harm you as much. I find that the TE position is not to be trusted. Gonzales and Graham are the two that are pretty consistent with Witten third. Other than that it can be a shit show.

DSmalls84

Hmm okay it just seems that QB at third is always a tricky position because you lose out on those top 2 to 5 guys. But I guess there are so many good QBs in the league right now that it doesn't harm you as much. I find that the TE position is not to be trusted. Gonzales and Graham are the two that are pretty consistent with Witten third. Other than that it can be a shit show.

This is where your individual league and the people in it make a huge difference. I would not normally take a QB in round 3 BUT this year my league had a huge run on QBs early and I wanted to get a top 10 guy. Lucky for me I was still able to grab Lynch and Rice who are both rated as first rounders, and then come back to get Thomas in the 4th who is rated as a 2/3 round pick. I wouldn't worry about a top tier QB as much honestly. Guys like Luck, Ryan and Romo are all good and there is not as much of a dropoff in points between the different QB tiers. If you don't get good starting RBs though you are pretty much screwed.

It's a 10-team league rather than 12 so there's a pretty deep pool. Auction drafts are great but take awhile.. and if someone isn't there, it can get annoying because the computer will autobid up if it's a position of need to the average price so you can never get a "deal" on someone even if no one else there is interested or bows out from the bidding. Here were my results:

1. (8) Ray Rice (Bal - RB) $52
2. (11) Andre Johnson (Hou - WR) $37
3. (23) Drew Brees (NO - QB) $43
4. (31) Blair Walsh (Min - K) $4
5. (33) Victor Cruz (NYG - WR) $24
6. (37) Rob Gronkowski (NE - TE) $11
7. (44) Montee Ball (Den - RB) $10
8. (50) Darren McFadden (Oak - RB) $7
9. (54) Eddie Lacy (GB - RB) $6
10. (84) Chicago (Chi - DEF) $1
11. (94) Kyle Rudolph (Min - TE) $1
12. (121) Mike Williams (TB - WR) $1
13. (129) Joe Flacco (Bal - QB) $1
14. (135) Vincent Brown (SD - WR) $1
15. (141) Arizona (Ari - DEF) $1

Everyone starts with a $200 budget and then you nominate a player and it starts the bidding from whatever you set as the initial price (usually just $1 because people are lazy). Most people are getting low on cash after about the first 6-7 picks so you can get some nice squad players on the cheap. I probably paid too much for AJ but oh well. Walsh for $4 is maybe a $1 too much on average but someone nominated him and I wanted the best kicker so I was happy to buy him then.

That sounds really interesting. I want to try auction now. Seems like the less popular drafting choice though. Flacco for $1 makes me laugh.

K-K-K-K-K-D-D

Awe shit this is what I've been doing wrong my whole life.

This is where your individual league and the people in it make a huge difference. I would not normally take a QB in round 3 BUT this year my league had a huge run on QBs early and I wanted to get a top 10 guy. Lucky for me I was still able to grab Lynch and Rice who are both rated as first rounders, and then come back to get Thomas in the 4th who is rated as a 2/3 round pick. I wouldn't worry about a top tier QB as much honestly. Guys like Luck, Ryan and Romo are all good and there is not as much of a dropoff in points between the different QB tiers. If you don't get good starting RBs though you are pretty much screwed.

Ya thats true RBs are the rock of your team. I always end up having like 4 RBs on my team as well. Luck Ryan and Romo are going between 4-8 rounds aren't they? I figure Luck would be the first one taken in that group.

DSmalls84

Ya thats true RBs are the rock of your team. I always end up having like 4 RBs on my team as well. Luck Ryan and Romo are going between 4-8 rounds aren't they? I figure Luck would be the first one taken in that group.

From what I have seen in a lot of "expert" mocks Luck is rounds 5-7. That being said in an average league expect the QBs to go a little earlier. I'm not really sure about Ryan because a guy in my league took him with the 6th overall pick...but Romo was definitely an 8 round or higher pick.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I set the draft order in the stragglers league and we have a request to move the draft time back two hours. Speak up or be trampled!

Top Bottom