• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Football 2013 - The catchall thread

No one should feel like "oh I'll join if you guys need extra people". It's supposed to be fun. If you are already occupied with other leagues then enjoy those.

I'm in several leagues, and would love to join another with you guys. If I'm in, I'm dedicated. Having said that, because I'm in several, I don't want to take a spot from someone who may not be in any. It's up to you if you want a top tier fantasy guru to join your league, roll you all, and walk out champion.

Considering we haven't made it to 10 yet, that's not an issue. Furthermore, it's most fun playing with posters I'm familiar with so I'd like you to join. All the better if you're good ;) Please don't let this comment deter you if you're new to GAF or think we won't recognize you, all are welcome. It will just be fun to have at least a few I know for banter and maybe trash talking.

If we're going custom, might I suggest limited IDP instead of Def team? I use it in a league I run, so I have an established, tested scoring system. I do 1DL, 1LB, 1DB. As for special teams, the players get the points. I do 1 pt per 30 Return yards.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If any of you do this, I hope you get punched in the face.

BSuwtpVCUAAS17g.jpg

Any free leagues I'm down. I'm in the gaf baseball one so it's fun times.

Also anyone digging the grading system on Yahoo? One of my leagues I got a A+ for the draft. I lol

Any free leagues I'm down. I'm in the gaf baseball one so it's fun times.

Also anyone digging the grading system on Yahoo? One of my leagues I got a A+ for the draft. I lol

I got a B for a draft in which I literally took two TEs back-to-back.

Also somehow projected to finish second when my draft was ranked fifth overall.

Yahoo :what:

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I got a league going with some friends that we started last year as a side league... 2 have dropped out, looking for replacements, but may end up needing more. Any gaffers wanna fill in?

Chuck, can you confirm if the gaffers you listed earlier are for sure interested in joining? If so, with Ebay and Fanatic we only need one more.

LevelNth

Banned
I've got the first pick in the stragglers league and just don't want to take AP. I'm sure I can pencil him in for 1300 yards, but he doesn't catch passes and it's going to be the Ponder/Cassel show there. Defense will be worse and so will the OL. I'm pretty sure he won't be the top scoring player in FF but I don't know who it will be. I'm tempted to say Martin b/c I think TB will have a good defense, good OL, and a burning desire to never let Freeman decide games
Only 6 of the projected Top 15 RBs this year caught more passes than AP last year, and most were less than 8 more.

Cagey

Banned
So, in this 2 QB league, I had Victor Cruz (an admitted overdraft by a few positions, KUBIAK is as big a fan of his as me, but room full of fellow Giants fans), drafted Kaepnerick-McFadden in the 4th/5th round wheel, and targeted another QB (Wilson/Stafford/Romo/etc) at the next wheel.

Well, a couple guys loaded up on QBs (one guy took Rodgers/Brady, another took Peyton/Brees/Romo) and at the 6th/7th round wheel, I had a board of Flacco, Roflsberger, Rivers, Schaub to pick from.

I dealt Cruz for Romo straight up and then drafted Stevie Johnson.

Aside from being treasonous to my beloved Giants and now hating my fantasy football team for real life football purposes, was that the right move?

Briefly on scoring: standard for the most part, 0.3 per catch + 0.1 per target, defenses slightly buffed, penalties for sacks.

oFvIuDC.png

DSmalls84

Anyone got any suggestions for some solid defenses/kickers that can be had off the waiver?

Currently have Randy Bullock from Houston and Cards/Chargers.

Any good sleeper units this year?

squicken

I really need to remember to bring headphones into work :|

Squicken, have you started figuring out the settings you want to run with? I think me might have 9 people on board so I think we should go ahead and create it.

Not really a solid 9 people yet. I've sent some PMs so we'll see, but I'd put the odds of this going forward at 30-70 against. Think at this point people don't want to be in another league

Anyone got any suggestions for some solid defenses/kickers that can be had off the waiver?

Currently have Randy Bullock from Houston and Cards/Chargers.

Any good sleeper units this year?
What site are you playing at? In Yahoo, Arizona will be awesome but for some reason ESPN gave them far less points last season. That said, I expect us to force a lot of turnovers so we should still be at least decent in ESPN too. I couldn't call them a sleeper in Yahoo though considering they scored the sixth most points out of all Ds I think it was? So they get taken in yahoo leagues from my experience. Rams and Bengals are the two good fantasy D's that some people sleep on.
Not really a solid 9 people yet. I've sent some PMs so we'll see, but I'd put the odds of this going forward at 30-70 against. Think at this point people don't want to be in another league
We have at least 6 for sure so I'm guessing you sent PMs to the three Chuck mentioned. If they join, shouldn't be hard to get one more person.

WedgeX

Banned
What rookie wide receivers and running backs are people looking at this year? My past beliefs in AJ Green and Julio Jones paid off mightily...but this year I don't have an answer.

What rookie wide receivers and running backs are people looking at this year? My past beliefs in AJ Green and Julio Jones paid off mightily...but this year I don't have an answer.

RB:
Eddie Lacy (GB) Set as the #1 back, possible Ryan Grant upside.
Montee Ball (DEN) Set to be the goal line back. Broncos have no idea if they want to go with a pass protector (Moreno), useless guy (Hillman) or short goal runner (Ball) yet.
Giovanni Bernard (CIN) Top 10 upside but splitting time with Law Firm.
Christine Michael (SEA) Awesome preseason but #2/3 back behind Lynch/Turbin
Le'Veon Bell (PIT) Probably will start. But also probably out 6 weeks.

WR:
Tavon Austin (STL) AJ Green upside but all depends on Sam Bradford.
Kenbrell Thompkins (NE) Seems to be Brady's most reliable receiver so far.
Kenny Stills (NO) The new, cheaper Devery Henderson.
Markus Wheaton (PIT) Could be the Steelers new long-range threat with Wallace gone.
Cordarrelle Patterson (MIN) Apparently has great hands, playing with Greg Jennings...but QBs are Christian Ponder and Matt Cassel.

Aside from being treasonous to my beloved Giants and now hating my fantasy football team for real life football purposes, was that the right move?

In a vacuum, no. You took on a sack-vulnerable second QB for a possible top 10 receiver. I would rather have Ben (equally vulnerable) but keep Cruz. I do agree that shoring up QB was a good idea (in 2QB leagues I would go Rodgers at #1), but Cruz just still seems more valuable.

The best deal was probably a two for two, like Romo + something for Cruz + something. If EJ Manuel recovers you could eventually start him as a fine QB2 anyway, depending on the Bills fortunes.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
squicken, if you really want to fill that league, you should post about it once a page in the NFL thread.

Cagey

Banned
In a vacuum, no. You took on a sack-vulnerable second QB for a possible top 10 receiver. I would rather have Ben (equally vulnerable) but keep Cruz. I do agree that shoring up QB was a good idea (in 2QB leagues I would go Rodgers at #1), but Cruz just still seems more valuable.

The best deal was probably a two for two, like Romo + something for Cruz + something. If EJ Manuel recovers you could eventually start him as a fine QB2 anyway, depending on the Bills fortunes.

Thanks for the reply. I tend to agree with the bolded statement. I'm annoyed I didn't maximize value there by demanding some sort of pick swap in the 6th/7th.

squicken

Check your pm's. I'm down

Just read your PM, I'm definitely in

Good to hear. I'll shoot out invites once we have enough people. Was planning on using Yahoo since they now have live drafting through their tablet and phone apps

Super-Stragglers

squicken
squall
chuck ?
DK
Eleuin
Larry
sf2fanatic
eBay Huckster

edit: For those in the league, please post when is best for you to do the draft, and any times you can't do it

DSmalls84

What site are you playing at? In Yahoo, Arizona will be awesome but for some reason ESPN gave them far less points last season. That said, I expect us to force a lot of turnovers so we should still be at least decent in ESPN too. I couldn't call them a sleeper in Yahoo though considering they scored the sixth most points out of all Ds I think it was? So they get taken in yahoo leagues from my experience. Rams and Bengals are the two good fantasy D's that some people sleep on.

We have at least 6 for sure so I'm guessing you sent PMs to the three Chuck mentioned. If they join, shouldn't be hard to get one more person.

I'm on NFL.com.

bluehat9

So I was in my local home draft last night, don't know everyone else's team because commish hasn't put it online yet, but yeah, rate it if you want so I can have an idea of how good or terrible it looks on paper.

Had the 4th pick in a 12 man ppr snake draft. Starting lineup is QB/2RB/2WR/TE/WR-RB Flex/D/K.

QB- Russell Wilson
RB- Jamaal Charles
RB- Reggie Bush
WR- Larry Fitzgerald
WR- Reggie Wayne
TE- Jason Witten
K- Mason Crosby
D- Dallas (need to see what Ds and Ks are still available because I stopped keeping track when people starting drafting them in the 7th round and I was the last to take both those positions).

Flex/Bench Guys-
Steve Smith
Ben Tate
Andre Brown
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Marcell Reece
Pierre Thomas
Ben roethlisberger

DSmalls84

So I was in my local home draft last night, don't know everyone else's team because commish hasn't put it online yet, but yeah, rate it if you want so I can have an idea of how good or terrible it looks on paper.

Had the 4th pick in a 12 man ppr snake draft. Starting lineup is QB/2RB/2WR/TE/WR-RB Flex/D/K.

QB- Russell Wilson
RB- Jamaal Charles
RB- Reggie Bush
WR- Larry Fitzgerald
WR- Reggie Wayne
TE- Jason Witten
K- Mason Crosby
D- Dallas (need to see what Ds and Ks are still available because I stopped keeping track when people starting drafting them in the 7th round and I was the last to take both those positions).

Flex/Bench Guys-
Steve Smith
Ben Tate
Andre Brown
Alshon Jeffrey
Josh Gordon
Marcell Reece
Pierre Thomas
Ben roethlisberger

I don't play ppr but it looks solid to me. I would think Charles and Reggie Bush would be stat monsters in that format, and Witten usually catches a ton of passes each year as well. I'm still not sold on Fitz rebounding this year, but he definitely has a better chance than he did last year.

Condolences to anyone who drafted Andre Brown. Gonna miss some/most of the season with a broken leg. Probably not enough for IR but I imagine unless your bench is deep you'll end up dropping him...

A guy in my 12 man league had him as his #2...ouch! He has horrible bench options too. He's going to have to trade and be fleeced by someone. It was silly to go with Brown as #2 in the first place.

As for our draft, Sunday is the only day that's no good for me.

squicken

Invites sent. A couple of you need to check your PMs. Right now, I am going to schedule the draft for Sunday at 3 EDT. Let me know if that doesn't work

Invites sent. A couple of you need to check your PMs. Right now, I am going to schedule the draft for Sunday at 3 EDT. Let me know if that doesn't work

Is there any chance we can do it Sat or Mon? Sunday is literally the only day I can't make it. I know I can set it up for auto draft but drafting is pretty much my favorite part of FF so if everyone doesn't mind doing it a different day that'd be awesome. Again, I can do it any other day. If this is an issue, majority rules, of course.

Eleuin

For some reason I don't think my PMs are going through, did you get mine? The one with my email I mean.

squicken

For some reason I don't think my PMs are going through, did you get mine? The one with my email I mean.

I got your PM. Sent you an email at the address you gave me

Squicken, that draft time is only an hour before the stragglers' draft time.

Thought the Stragglers draft was Saturday. That's what it says when I visit the league site

Is there any chance we can do it Sat or Mon? Sunday is literally the only day I can't make it. I know I can set it up for auto draft but drafting is pretty much my favorite part of FF so if everyone doesn't mind doing it a different day that'd be awesome. Again, I can do it any other day. If this is an issue, majority rules, of course.

Saturday is fine but it will have to be later in the day. I imagine beyond the weekend there will be too many conflicts

Top Bottom