• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Football 2013 - The catchall thread

3 drafts, 3rd pick every single time. Standard scoring.

12 Team league:
QB Joe Flacco
RB Marshawn Lynch
RB Reggie Bush
WR Marques Colston
WR Julio Jones
TE Fred Davis
FLEX Giovanni Bernard
D Ravens
K Robbie Gould

QB Andy Dalton
RB Daryl Richardson
WR Wes Welker
WR Kenbrell Thompkins
WR DeAndre Hopkins

14 Team League:
QB Sam Bradford
RB Doug Martin
RB Frank Gore
WR Steve Smith
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Martellus Bennett
FLEX David Wilson
D Bucs
K Steven Hauschka

RB Giovanni Bernard
WR Mike Williams
RB Joique Bell
WR Kenbrell Thompkins
WR Alshon Jeffrey
QB Ryan Tannehill

Shirtless draft in Shirtless thread

Other than QBs I think these turned out alright

I feel i did pretty good for my "main" draft (more expensive/important league)(Starters)

10 man standard league ,, 4th pick

qb- matthew stafford
rb- marshawn lynch
rb- steven jackson
wr- calvin johnson
wr-demaryius thomas
wr/rb- vincent jackson
te- brandon myers
d/st- patriots
k- blair walsh

My 2nd league:
10 man standard league, 10th pick

qb- tony romo
rb- c.j. spiller
rb- lesean mccoy
wr- vincent jackson
wr- reggie wayne
rb/wr- steven ridley
te- brandon myers
d/st- steelers
k- josh brown

So here's a question I find interesting for this season: Who would you guys take second overall (assuming AP is taken first every time)?

I had the second pick in one of my leagues and I found it to be the only semi difficult position to make a decision at. Just for the first round. Normally Foster would be a no brainer but not this year. Guy is busted, has tons of miles in a short amount of time and I just see his body starting to break down, needing more rest and taking games off here or there. Granted, if you can cuff Tate that secures you pretty well. I ended up taking Doug Martin. It was between him or the dependable Lynch but Martin is the home run whereas Lynch is the safe pick. What would/did you guys do with this pick?

Bowser

So here's a question I find interesting for this season: Who would you guys take second overall (assuming AP is taken first every time)?

I had the second pick in one of my leagues and I found it to be the only semi difficult position to make a decision at. Just for the first round. Normally Foster would be a no brainer but not this year. Guy is busted, has tons of miles in a short amount of time and I just see his body starting to break down, needing more rest and taking games off here or there. Granted, if you can cuff Tate that secures you pretty well. I ended up taking Doug Martin. It was between him or the dependable Lynch but Martin is the home run whereas Lynch is the safe pick. What would/did you guys do with this pick?

Doug Martin or CJ Spiller

LevelNth

Banned
Wowowow, Harris to IR on the pack. Lacy's value is blowing up. Damn, I have the 10th pick in my 10 team 4-player keeper league (champ baby!), and I'm not sure he'll fall to me. I doubt it actually.

DSmalls84

I really like Doug Martin at 2. I wanted him this year but my draft spot didn't allow for it. Super versatile and has a ton of upside.

DSmalls84

Well I mean given the news that Harris is going to IR. I'd assume that means Lacy will be the starter now.

Yeah that's the assumption. Honestly it sounds like Lacy is going to start regardless of Harris. He sounds like the guy in Green Bay this year, and most of the other guys on the roster have already had their chance.

squicken

I've got the first pick in the stragglers league and just don't want to take AP. I'm sure I can pencil him in for 1300 yards, but he doesn't catch passes and it's going to be the Ponder/Cassel show there. Defense will be worse and so will the OL. I'm pretty sure he won't be the top scoring player in FF but I don't know who it will be. I'm tempted to say Martin b/c I think TB will have a good defense, good OL, and a burning desire to never let Freeman decide games

Doug Martin or CJ Spiller
Yeah Spiller was the one other consideration at first as he could really explode with all the carries he's going to get but I ruled him out because he's never taken on this large a load before and doesn't have the OL a few other guys have. Not to mention not as proven as Martin or Lynch.
I really like Doug Martin at 2. I wanted him this year but my draft spot didn't allow for it. Super versatile and has a ton of upside.

I feel pretty good about it, I had him last year so I know what he's capable of and this year they know he's a stud and to really utilize him right off the bat. He should only be better and more confident.

DSmalls84

Yeah Spiller was the one other consideration at first as he could really explode with all the carries he's going to get but I ruled him out because he's never taken on this large a load before and doesn't have the OL a few other guys have. Not to mention not as proven as Martin or Lynch.

I feel pretty good about it, I had him last year so I know what he's capable of and this year they know he's a stud and to really utilize him right off the bat. He should only be better and more confident.

Yeah I would probably still take Peterson at #1 but can definitely see Martin as a Legit pick. Peterson doesn't catch much, and if you look at the stats his chances of duplicating last years numbers are slim to none. Foster would have been a good pick as well but he seems like a huge injury risk at this point, and the Texans have pretty much run him into the ground the last few years.

squicken

Trent Truck is also a really good option at #1. Norv always gets production from his backs when they stay healthy. Richardson can catch those little swing passes that Tomlinson and Emmitt Smith live off of. Doubt Trent has a long career but this could be his Larry Johnson flash in the pan monster season

Bowser

Trent Truck is also a really good option at #1. Norv always gets production from his backs when they stay healthy. Richardson can catch those little swing passes that Tomlinson and Emmitt Smith live off of. Doubt Trent has a long career but this could be his Larry Johnson flash in the pan monster season

Trent at #1 would be stupid. I don't think he's worth drafting until 9-12 range.

DSmalls84

Trent at #1 would be stupid. I don't think he's worth drafting until 9-12 range.

Yeah can't say I'm high on him either. He has looked better in the preseason but last year he got a ton of touches and averaged around 3.5 ypc. He's got potential but he wasn't super impressive last year and he plays for the browns. Gonna agree with bowser on this one

If you could get Martin at #2 and pray that Trent drops that could turn into something special. Both seem to be pretty healthy guys from what I can remember. Trent is like the only think the Browns have.

Yeah Squicken brought up some valid points on AP. That said, no one will regret drafting him, I'm sure.

So here are the two drafts I've done thus far, looking for a third league still:

12-man PPR Yahoo league starters: QB, 2 x RB, 2 x WR, Flex, TE, K, DEF, 1 individual defensive player

QB: Drew Brees
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Darren Sproles
WR: Marques Colston
WR: James Jones
FLEX: Anquan Boldin
TE: Jordan Cameron
K: David Akers
D/ST: Arizona
IDP: James Laurinaitis (Will also pick Daryl Washington off wire soon)

BN: Rashard Mendenhall
BN: Tony Romo
BN: Michael Floyd
BN: Le'veon Bell
BN: Tyler Eifert
BN: Mikel Leshoure

I picked last in this league and broke my mantra of RB RB because not only are passing TD's worth 6, but every complete pass nets a point and every incomplete loses a point so you really need a stud QB in this league. I got the best :D I was lucky that Morris fell to my first pick due to some dumb ass going WR (besides megatron) too early but where I got really lucky was Sproles falling to me before I got screwed with a garbage RB2 due to taking Brees. That was pretty scary but he should work out really well in the PPR format. I also took my backup QB way too early (second bench slot) on purpose to screw my top competition over. He waited late of course and thought he was going to get amazing value with Romo..he thought wrong. Now he is starting Vick with garbo as backup and I consider him toast and not in the running for the crown at this point. Last two picks where meh but everyone worth taking was gone by this point and that's what the wire is for.

10-man ESPN standard league: QB, x2 RB, x3 WR, Flex, TE, K, DEF

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Doug Martin
RB Chris Johnson
WR: Dez Bryant
WR: Danny Amendola
WR: Anquan Boldin
FLEX: Reggie Bush
TE: Jared Cook
K: Stephen Gostkowski
D/ST: Bengals

BN: T.Y. Hilton
BN: Michael Floyd
BN: Kenbrell Thompkins
BN: Carson Palmer
BN: Ben Tate
BN: Arizona D
BN: Tyler Eifert

Picked second over all and took Martin. I can't convey how happy I am to get Bush in the flex, I'm going to but up serious points with this roster and he acts as insurance if CJ doesn't return to form. Last three picks were luxury picks as I had everything I needed already, wouldn't normally ever take a second D. I feel this roster has a nice balance of proven talent and sleepers that could really blow up (Floyd and Thompkins). I feel pretty confident with this team and Amendola will play a role in just how much of a monster I am. If he's out a lot, I have Hilton. I have the double dip going on in both leagues between QB and their top WR but that was coincidence haha

I pointed out Yahoo or ESPN because their points are spread out very differently, especially for defense. Arizona is top 5-6 option in Yahoo but ended much lower in ESPN last year.

squicken

One of these years I want to play in a non-traditional league. 2 QBs and different point values that reflect the way the NFL has changed

squicken

You don't have any PPR or 6pt passing TD leagues? Both mine award 6 points for passing TD.

No I quit FF a few years back but did a GAF league the last couple of years. As long as it's not for money it's fun. But it's always been standard roster non-PPR. I may create a league with some weird rules and see who is interested. Gonna read around a bit on suggested scoring alternatives

Like one thing is kickers getting points for extra points. It's a 99% success rate. Those points should go to the offensive player(s) that created the score

He was the first rookie taken in my league.

He should be the first rookie. Just got out of a keeper bloodbath where Giovanni Bernard went first, but Lacy is a much safer pick right now. Lacy's worst case is washed-up Grant and flex numbers, but if he's good and lucky there's always Ryan Grant 2009 upside.

He should be the first rookie. Just got out of a keeper bloodbath where Giovanni Bernard went first, but Lacy is a much safer pick right now. Lacy's worst case is washed-up Grant and flex numbers, but if he's good and lucky there's always Ryan Grant 2009 upside.

Bernard blew up in my draft and was second overall. Haven't seen much of him. He look that good?

Spinluck

A team I had to draft for my buddy as a favor, he liked it and decided to make me co-owner, but I feel iffy about it. He kinda asked me last second, so I didn't really have time to prepare. I didn't know what pick I had till it started lol. I was surprised by how smart some of the people in this league drafted, I was totally blind sided.

M4DG6i0.png

Got another draft coming this weekend.

No I quit FF a few years back but did a GAF league the last couple of years. As long as it's not for money it's fun. But it's always been standard roster non-PPR. I may create a league with some weird rules and see who is interested. Gonna read around a bit on suggested scoring alternatives

Like one thing is kickers getting points for extra points. It's a 99% success rate. Those points should go to the offensive player(s) that created the score

Interesting idea. Why did money ruin the fun for you? What I like about it is that it increases the likelihood that people will actually try.

Spindash, you normally know your pick beforehand? My 12 man this year is the first time I've ever known my pick in advance, every other time including my 10 man this year I didn't know until the draft opened up 30 min before, ha.

Bernard blew up in my draft and was second overall. Haven't seen much of him. He look that good?

He's basically the speed back. He can run but he's also being targeted a fair bit; sort of along the lines of LeSean McCoy. Pass protection is apparently a work in progress but if the Bengals continue to be down on Law Firm then Bernard has a chance of leading the platoon this season and then becoming the #1 back next year.

It really depends on (a) if he can keep it up against regular season defenses and (b) if Ellis can score touchdowns or not. He's not as safe as Lacy but has the potential upside to be a top 10 player if he has the job to himself (and if the Bengals line is anything to write home about.)

Vyer

Good to see a thread for stragglers (sort of).

Of really digging the middle of Saturday draft, so if it gets moved up a little that's fine with me

squicken

Interesting idea. Why did money ruin the fun for you? What I like about it is that it increases the likelihood that people will actually try.

When I first started playing, it was in HS w/people I knew and so the draft was a lot of fun and we just played for a little money. Got to college and graduated and still played for relatively little money. But some guys dropped out and we were bringing in people who we didn't really know. Had some issues getting people to pay up after the season. Then the last year I played we just gave the commissioner the money at the draft and he spent it on car repairs and never paid out to the winner. Just really soured on the whole thing. Part of it was rooting for your FF vs your favorite team

I do get the money thing. Last year I think maybe a third of the auction league was done via auto-draft. Seems odd to join a league and then not show up for the draft

WedgeX

Banned
One of these years I want to play in a non-traditional league. 2 QBs and different point values that reflect the way the NFL has changed

I don't know about 2 qbs, but I want to play in a ppr league with a variety of defensive players as well. Craziness all around!

When I first started playing, it was in HS w/people I knew and so the draft was a lot of fun and we just played for a little money. Got to college and graduated and still played for relatively little money. But some guys dropped out and we were bringing in people who we didn't really know. Had some issues getting people to pay up after the season. Then the last year I played we just gave the commissioner the money at the draft and he spent it on car repairs and never paid out to the winner. Just really soured on the whole thing. Part of it was rooting for your FF vs your favorite team

I do get the money thing. Last year I think maybe a third of the auction league was done via auto-draft. Seems odd to join a league and then not show up for the draft

Ah, that's shitty. Yeah always best to play with people you know and trust to pay up. My third league is usually with randoms for free. I'd love to play with some of you gaffers I'm familiar with but don't particularly want to do 14+ leagues.

Also, I'll NEVER root for FF over my real team. At least not when we aren't in tank mode. If we win, I don't give a shit if Fitz makes me lose but I do get pissed if Fitz gets tons of fantasy pts against me, but the team still loses in real life haha

squicken

I don't know about 2 qbs, but I want to play in a ppr league with a variety of defensive players as well. Craziness all around!

It's a QB driven league. Drafting 2 QBs means that they go at the top of a FF draft. They'll give you your points. FF is so divorced from "real" football b/c of how over-valued RBs are. The usual way to counter that is PPR, but that just helps WRs

If anyone is interested in a free, 12 team PPR league w/ 2 QBs, let me know. Rest of the rules and draft type and time are whenever. Flex? Super flex? Defensive players?

It's a QB driven league. Drafting 2 QBs means that they go at the top of a FF draft. They'll give you your points. FF is so divorced from "real" football b/c of how over-valued RBs are. The usual way to counter that is PPR, but that just helps WRs

If anyone is interested in a free, 12 team PPR league w/ 2 QBs, let me know. Rest of the rules and draft type and time are whenever. Flex? Super flex? Defensive players?

I'd have some interest, always been curious to try a 2 QB league. Not crazy about all IDP's, that would be a lot more time consuming and I already have a couple other leagues but let me know what develops.

squicken

12 teams
PPR
2 QBs start
Flex
Snake Draft
Date TBD

Post in the thread if you have interest

I'd have some interest, always been curious to try a 2 QB league. Not crazy about all IDP's, that would be a lot more time consuming and I already have a couple other leagues but let me know what develops.

I don't really want to do IDP either. Since auction drafts take too long it would be a snake draft.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've got the first pick in the stragglers league and just don't want to take AP. I'm sure I can pencil him in for 1300 yards, but he doesn't catch passes and it's going to be the Ponder/Cassel show there. Defense will be worse and so will the OL. I'm pretty sure he won't be the top scoring player in FF but I don't know who it will be. I'm tempted to say Martin b/c I think TB will have a good defense, good OL, and a burning desire to never let Freeman decide games
Please. Please, please don't take AD. Thanks.
12 teams
PPR
2 QBs start
Flex
Snake Draft
Date TBD

Post in the thread if you have interest

2 qbs is a dicey proposition with 12 teams. 10 would probably work better, otherwise lots of people will be starting scrubs or worse on bye weeks. Basically, everyone would need 3 starters.

squicken

Please. Please, please don't take AD. Thanks.

2 qbs is a dicey proposition with 12 teams. 10 would probably work better, otherwise lots of people will be starting scrubs or worse on bye weeks. Basically, everyone would need 3 starters.

haha I'm sure I'll end up taking him. It's just so boring to go chalk

-Good point on team total. I'll see how much interest there is and drop it if need be. I'm doubting there will be much interest this late in the calendar

I've never done Auction anyway, snake sounds good to me! 10 does make more sense, Chuck raises a good point. Well, I'm down, just need 8 more unless Chuck wants to join too!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I've never done Auction anyway, snake sounds good to me! 10 does make more sense, Chuck raises a good point. Well, I'm down, just need 8 more unless Chuck wants to join too!

I'll play if I'm needed. Deacon, Kastrioti and Dominican Power were looking for spots earlier.

Bowser

Alright guys, #2 pick in my old work draft. 8 team league, ESPN standard scoring. Doug Martin or CJ Spiller? Decisions, decisions...both have shit for QBs, but I think I'm leaning Spiller cause I don't want to draft a NFC South guy that I'd hate lol

JABEE

I'm pretty happy I'm sitting at 3 this year. Last year I was last. I'm going to need to think long and hard about my pick.

When is draft? If I can make it, I'll join. If you'll have me.
Please do
I'll play if I'm needed. Deacon, Kastrioti and Dominican Power were looking for spots earlier.
Awesome, we'd only need 3 more if all you guys and Larry joins
Alright guys, #2 pick in my old work draft. 8 team league, ESPN standard scoring. Doug Martin or CJ Spiller? Decisions, decisions...both have shit for QBs, but I think I'm leaning Spiller cause I don't want to draft a NFC South guy that I'd hate lol

Well, you saw who I chose and I think I said why. 1 vote for Martin.

8 team league? Take Jimmy Graham. It's the only position with scarcity that makes a difference in a league that small. If you're not getting AP, and it's not PPR, the next 8 RBs are interchangeable. I'd actually consider Lynch at 2 in a non PPR.

Milabrega

If you change it to Auction i'll play. Auction is a lot more fun as an online draft in my opinion. Espn's client is great for it and all the mind games and strategies are wild. Only auction league I was in was a gaf league a few years ago was great.

Bowser

Here's what I ended up with:

QB A. Luck
RB D. Martin
RB S. Ridley
WR B. Marshall
WR R. Cobb
TE Z. Sudfeld
FLEX D. Wilson
DST St. Louis
K P. Dawson

BE E. Lacy
BE D. Bowe
BE P. Garcon
BE S. Vereen
BE R. Wilson
BE D. Williams (CAR RB)
BE J. Gordon

8 team league? Take Jimmy Graham. It's the only position with scarcity that makes a difference in a league that small. If you're not getting AP, and it's not PPR, the next 8 RBs are interchangeable. I'd actually consider Lynch at 2 in a non PPR.

I was targeting him with my 3rd round pick, but he went early 2nd round.

squicken

No one should feel like "oh I'll join if you guys need extra people". It's supposed to be fun. If you are already occupied with other leagues then enjoy those.

If you change it to Auction i'll play. Auction is a lot more fun as an online draft in my opinion. Espn's client is great for it and all the mind games and strategies are wild. Only auction league I was in was a gaf league a few years ago was great.

Since it is the first time most of the players will have been in a customized league, it will be hard to really know the proper value for players. The goal of the league is for people who play FF to try something different. I agree with you about auction drafts, but for this, it's just not the right setup

Top Bottom