• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HS Wrestler refuses to hit a Girl, forfeits match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
You mad? There would be exactly 0 women who would hold their own against the best of men in those sports; if you had said bowling, darts, and e-sports, you wouldn't have sounded crazy.
Would marathons, cycling, swimming count?

Like any sport where you don't actually make contact with your opponents, but instead try to be accurate, showcase stamina etc

Rikyfree

When I wrestled, one of my teammates went against a female wrestler. She was fit and insanely hawt. They went at it, he won. I kid you not, some of you joke about getting a boner wrestling a girl for competition, but he walked off the mat with a raging hardon. It was hilarious.

Lunchbox said:
Would marathons, cycling, swimming count?

Like any sport where you don't actually make contact with your opponents, but instead try to be accurate, showcase stamina etc

Superior strength is a big advantage even in endurance sports, so no. However, strength isn't as important in these sports so women come closer to being able to compete with men. I'd imagine if the race were even longer (let's say 300km) then perhaps a woman could set the world record; but then marathons are already ridiculously long.

Rikyfree said:
When I wrestled, one of my teammates went against a female wrestler. She was fit and insanely hawt. They went at it, he won. I kid you not, some of you joke about getting a boner wrestling a girl for competition, but he walked off the mat with a raging hardon. It was hilarious.
haha That's hilarious. Is there any more to the story? Did he ask her for her phone number?

Rikyfree said:

That's pretty funny. I wouldn't be surprised.

Rikyfree

Bungalow Bob said:
haha That's hilarious. Is there any more to the story? Did he ask her for her phone number?
Nothing like that. His face was pretty red and so was hers. It was just one of those things.

Big-E

This is the fucking 112 pound devision. A women can easily compete at this weight class as strength is not a fundamental attribute that is needed for the weight class. She won 20 fucking matches by merit, stop trying to say she doesn't belong.

cntr

Banned
I see that many GAFfers have problems conceptualizing what "average" means in the sentence "on average, women are weaker than men".

EschatonDX said:
SMH.. Have you ever wrestled before? Or competed in any individual sport or martial art? You're either blinded by your own perceptions of chivalry or honestly, refuse to acknowledge the strength of women as human beings.

You don't know what you're talking about. Real men, and the best competitors give their best out there at every opportunity. And not every man giving his 100% will beat a woman at her best.

agreed, infact I play competitive mixed doubles in tennis and in the middle of a point I don't think about going easy on the girl at all. Infact last week, I remember one point where I was up at the net and got a fairly easy lob, and smacked it at the feet of the net person (because thats a smart play) I accidently missed by a foot and hit the net person in the knee. That net person happened to be the girl, but I would have done the same play if it was the guy. I look over the net and see 2 people, not 1 guy and 1 girl.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
cntrational said:
I see that many GAFfers have problems conceptualizing what "average" means in the sentence "on average, women are weaker than men".
More have a harder time seeing the scenario thats already laid out -there simply isn't the demand, participation, or money necessary for a girl's division in wrestling and that forfeiting a match to someone who's worked just as hard as you have because of sexism is bull.

Also, at that weight class, the difference in strength is almost negligible.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The people in here calling guys like him a coward are insane. Get the fuck out of here.

Do you people have any fucking clue as to how many young boys are raised on the principles of not getting into physical altercations with girls? I know I for one was beaten over the head with that shit my entire life. Guess what? I've never been in a physical altercation with a woman as a result of this. And let me tell you, I've been in my fair share of scenarios where I would have been completely justified in drop kicking a broad in the fucking chin or simply tossing them to the ground. But I never allowed my self to do it.

You can't just throw values like those out the window on a whim, after it's been hammered into your brain your entire fucking life. I don't care what the occasion calls for, be it a competition or an argument starting to turn physical. You can't just flip it on and off like a god damn light-switch.

Personally, from my own competitive standpoint, I think he should have at least tried his best to get over those feelings and compete against her as an equal. I'm sure she wanted nothing less and would have appreciated it whether she won the match or lost it. I don't know if I would call this being the "right" thing to do, but I do believe that it would have been the more "honorable" thing to do from a competitors perspective.

But I also can't fault this guy for not being able to put him self in a position where he may harm someone he has most likely been heavily conditioned his entire life to never to do harm to.

Big-E said:
This is the fucking 112 pound devision. A women can easily compete at this weight class as strength is not a fundamental attribute that is needed for the weight class. She won 20 fucking matches by merit, stop trying to say she doesn't belong.
DY_nasty said:
Also, at that weight class, the difference in strength is almost negligible.
Umm... why do you guys make statements when you have no idea wtf you're talking about. I'd like to see you guys wrestle olympic weightlifters (in your weight class) who are 3 times stronger than you and then hear what you have to say. Strength is far more important than technique in wrestling. And men are pound for pound much stronger than women.

I looked up the strength standards in Practical Programming, and an advanced, 114 pound, male athlete can deadlift 299 pounds on average while a woman can deadlift 200 (measure of strength). The difference is even more marked in power (i.e. explosiveness). The man can power clean 173 pounds while the woman only manages 108. This is why women can't compete against men in weight class sports. To make it fair, you'd need to have a 180 pound female athlete competing against a 110 pound male (or something along those lines).

And one more thing: I saw a photo of the guy who wouldn't face the girl. Dude's like 70 pounds underweight. The people who said he's not a serious athlete are right. He's no more an athlete than the middle aged, 5'6", 300 pound, YMCA basketball player who waddles up and down the court once a week (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
Umm... why do you guys make statements when you have no idea wtf you're talking about. I'd like to see you guys wrestle olympic weightlifters (in your weight class) who are 3 times stronger than you and then hear what you have to say. Strength is far more important than technique in wrestling. And men are pound for pound much stronger than women.

I looked up the strength standards in Practical Programming, and an advanced, 114 pound, male athlete can deadlift 299 pounds on average while a woman can deadlift 200 (measure of strength). The difference is even more marked in power (i.e. explosiveness). The man can power clean 173 pounds while the woman only manages 108. This is why women can't compete against men in weight class sports. To make it fair, you'd need to have a 180 pound female athlete competing against a 110 pound male (or something along those lines).

And one more thing: I saw a photo of the guy who wouldn't face the girl. Dude's like 70 pounds underweight. The people who said he's not a serious athlete are right. He's no more an athlete than the middle aged, 5'6", 300 pound YMCA basketball player who waddles up and down the court once a week.

You are comparing power lifters to high school wrestling. She has 20 fucking wins meaning that she is a better wrestler than a lot of the boys she faced. Dude was scared that he was going to get his ass kicked by a girl and came up with an excuse that could only fly in small town USA. It is bull shit. Strength at that level is not as important as speed and skill because at that weight for high school, you are not going to be too particularly strong.

Big-E said:
You are comparing power lifters to high school wrestling. She has 20 fucking wins meaning that she is a better wrestler than a lot of the boys she faced. Dude was scared that he was going to get his ass kicked by a girl and came up with an excuse that could only fly in small town USA. It is bull shit. Strength at that level is not as important as speed and skill because at that weight for high school, you are not going to be too particularly strong.
Dude, think before you post something else nonsensical. In that weight class in high school, I'd expect deadlift strength to range from from about 135 pounds to 350 pounds. This huge strength differential is the main reason why some wrestlers are good, and others aren't. And yes, a 350 pound deadlift is weak, but it's a hell of a lot better than a 135 pound one. The bottom line is that strength is the most important thing in wrestling; anyone who disagrees is simply ignorant.

Bungalow Bob said:
Dude, think before you post something else nonsensical. In that weight class in high school, I'd expect deadlift strength to range from from about 135 pounds to 350 pounds. This huge strength differential is the main reason why some wrestlers are good, and others aren't. And yes, a 350 pound deadlift is weak, but it's a hell of a lot better than a 135 pound one. The bottom line is that strength is the most important thing in wrestling; anyone who disagrees is simply ignorant.

Actually I would assume at that weight that agility and maneuvering would be more important than strength, since they probably already weight train to be as strong as possible. The biggest factors then that lead to one beating out the other would be quickness and maneuvering.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:

That is why wrestlers dont train anything but their dead lift right? Strength plays apart but it is not the most important thing, technique is. That is why we don't just award the gold medal in wrestling to the person with the best dead lift for the weight class. If strength is so important how come this weak ass female was able to beat 20 boys? Why? Because strength at that weight class for high school wrestlers is not the be all and end all you make it out to be. Dudes are children not fucking men or power lifters.

Devolution said:
Actually I would assume at that weight that agility and maneuvering would be more important than strength, since they probably already weight train to be as strong as possible. The biggest factors then that lead to one beating out the other would be quickness and maneuvering.
Obviously speed is important in wrestling, and some people are simply genetically faster than others. When I say strength is the most important, don't read that as meaning that speed and technique aren't also important.
I'll give an example: if you take 2 identical, untrained people, and then have one weight train for strength, speed and endurance (in that order of importance) until he triples his strength while the other guy becomes a great technical wrestler but does not increase his strength, when they face off in a wrestling match, the first guy will be so much bigger, stronger and more explosive that he'll dominate the second guy in the same way you could dominate a 5 year old even if the kid knew how to wrestle.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
Obviously speed is important in wrestling, and some people are simply genetically faster than others. When I say strength is the most important, don't read that as meaning that speed and technique aren't also important.
I'll give an example: if you take 2 identical, untrained people, and then have one weight train for strength, speed and endurance (in that order of importance) until he triples his strength while the other guy becomes a great technical wrestler but does not increase his strength, when they face off in a wrestling match, the first guy will be so much bigger, stronger and more explosive that he'll dominate the second guy in the same way you could dominate a 5 year old even if the kid knew how to wrestle.

You make it sound like women are so incredibly weak but how come she was able to beat 20 boys if she only had the strength of a 5 year old? The fact is, she is not that much weaker than these boys and that is shown in her record.

Big-E said:
You make it sound like women are so incredibly weak but how come she was able to beat 20 boys if she only had the strength of a 5 year old? The fact is, she is not that much weaker than these boys and that is shown in her record.

One of the girls in my highschool who was a track star could out bench most of the junior and senior football teams. The best athletic women in certain sports are so because they higher strength thresholds than women and men too sometimes.

tiff

Banned
Big-E said:
If strength is so important how come this weak ass female was able to beat 20 boys? Why?
Because she was likely comparable in strength to most of her opponents. She looked pretty well built from the pictures in the OP's articles.

Obviously the ideal wrestler wants to have agility and technique as much as strength, but arguing that a significant strength advantage won't give someone a definite upper hand is pretty absurd. When I wrestled, our team's 112 pounder had no real technique to speak of, but he was strong as fuck and his raw talent carried him to to the state quarterfinals (or maybe it was the semis, I forget).

Bungalow Bob said:

You're missing my point, if strength threshold is about the same, it comes down to agility and maneuvering, which apparently she excels at compared to her competition.

Big-E said:
A trained woman is pound for pound far stronger than an untrained man, yet far weaker than a trained man (this includes teenagers).

It should be obvious why she beats lots of boys; they're bad wrestlers. Take the guy who wouldn't face her; he's 70 pounds underweight so he obviously takes wrestling about as seriously as I take ping-pong (not that there's anything wrong with that).

It's good that she's allowed to compete with guys. Just because someone is naturally weak and has absolutely no chance of becoming a state champ (and most guys also fall into this category) doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to complete and have fun.

And don't make shit up like me saying that wrestlers should only train their deadlift. I used to be a strength and conditioning coach and my athletes only deadlifted once per week or less.

Bungalow Bob said:
A trained woman is pound for pound far stronger than an untrained man, yet far weaker than a trained man (this includes teenagers).

It should be obvious why she beats lots of boys; they're bad wrestlers. Take the guy who wouldn't face her; he's 70 pounds underweight so he obviously takes wrestling about as seriously as I take ping-pong (not that there's anything wrong with that).
And it's good that she's allowed to compete with guys. Just because someone is naturally weak and has absolutely no chance of becoming a state champ (and most guys also fall into this category) doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to complete and have fun.

And don't make shit up like me saying that wrestlers should only train their deadlift. I used to be a strength and conditioning coach and my athletes only deadlifted once per week or less.

You don't believe that there are some women who can be better or stronger than men?

Devolution said:
You don't believe that there are some women who can be better or stronger than men?
Of course not. Just look at history; no woman has ever existed that could compete with men at the highest level in any strength or speed sport.

Bungalow Bob said:
Of course not. Just look at history; no woman has ever existed that could compete with men at the highest level in any strength or speed sport.

You don't even think they can at comparable levels, the way you're talking about this highschool girl.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:

It's good that she's allowed to compete with guys. Just because someone is naturally weak and has absolutely no chance of becoming a state champ (and most guys also fall into this category) doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to complete and have fun.

The comment about the dead lift was because you were saying wresting and dead life were so important then we would logically just see who had the best one to determine the winner in wrestling. I think you are severely underselling women by saying that the boys she is facing are weak as fuck. No shit they are weak as fuck because they are at one of the smallest weight class in high school wrestling. Oh and for your comment on how women have no chance of becoming state champ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/02/06/girl.wrestling.champ.ap/

tiff

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
If he was so underweight then why would he be wrestling at 112?

Bungalow Bob said:

Also when you say "look at history" you're effectively talking about a very small pool of women to begin with, just so you know. Women are still trying to catch up in so many ways in sports, you might want to get some perspective on that.

Big-E said:
The comment about the dead lift was because you were saying wresting and dead life were so important then we would logically just see who had the best one to determine the winner in wrestling. I think you are severely underselling women by saying that the boys she is facing are weak as fuck. No shit they are weak as fuck because they are at one of the smallest weight class in high school wrestling. Oh and for your comment on how women have no chance of becoming state champ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/02/06/girl.wrestling.champ.ap/
So a girl won the state championship in Alaska in the 103 pound division, a healthy weight for a young man who stands about 4'6". Now how many guys are 4'6" in Alaska? And how many of those are in highschool and are into wrestling?

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
So a girl won the state championship in Alaska in the 103 pound division, a healthy weight for a young man who stands about 4'6". Now how many guys are 4'6" in Alaska? And how many of those are in highschool and are into wrestling?

Any what is the healthy height for a man who is 6 pounds heavier? You said a woman had no chance to win a state championship in a competition of speed and strength and I showed you one. Face it. The whole male strength dynamic at this level of competition and these weight classes mean jack shit.

Big-E said:
Any what is the healthy height for a man who is 6 pounds heavier? You said a woman had no chance to win a state championship in a competition of speed and strength and I showed you one. Face it. The whole male strength dynamic at this level of competition and these weight classes mean jack shit.
I was implying that there is probably not even ONE 4'6", male, Alaskan highschooler who is passionate about wrestling, meaning that she basically won by default.

Also the bolded shows you're either delusional or ignorant. Good day.

I think you are going a bit overboard here Bob. Yes women on average are weaker than men but at those lower weight classes the lesser differences in strength can easily be overcome with skill and technique. I didn't start wrestling until HS so even though I was extremely strong I was far behind in technique. Even our 125lbs guys who I was bigger and stronger than would beat me (on points since I was too strong for them to pin me). Once I increased my skill I would beat them easily because the weight (30lbs)and strength difference was so great. Either way it's not a fair situation to put girls or boys in which is one reason why most other sports the sexes do not compete against each other.

tiff

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
Maybe cause he enjoys it even though he sucks at it and doesn't really care about improving?
I find it hard to believe that the 5th ranked 112 pounder in the state sucks at wrestling and doesn't really care about getting better.

And that has nothing to do with moving down a weight class anyway.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
I was implying that there is probably not even ONE 4'6", male, Alaskan highschooler who is passionate about wrestling, meaning that she basically won by default.

Also the bolded shows you're either delusional or ignorant. Good day.

I am ignorant? You keep moving the goal posts. Now you say that the women who won faced no one who was passionate for wrestling. You are the one who is delusion if you think 112 pound high school boys are leaps stronger than female wrestlers and how females can't really compete and challenge the boys.

tiff said:
I find it hard to believe that the 5th ranked 112 pounder in the state sucks at wrestling and doesn't really care about getting better.

And that has nothing to do with moving down a weight class anyway.
We're talking about the 112 pound division. It's a joke (and the 103 pound division even more so). Unless you are significantly shorter than 5 feet tall, you have no business being in that division, and there are very few people who are that short. He's basically a kid who's one small step away from being anorexic. If he cared about getting better he would've eatten healthy, gotten far stronger and competed against 180 to 200 pounders.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
We're talking about the 112 pound division. It's a joke. Unless you are significantly shorter than 5 feet tall, you have no business being in that division, and there are very few people who are that short. He's basically a kid who's one small step away from being anorexic. If he cared about getting better he would've eatten healthy, gotten far stronger and competed against 180 to 200 pounders.

WTF are you arguing? People here are saying that women can compete at these weight classes easily but you go on about how males have such a huge advantage that it isn't fair. Evidence is given that women at these classes can compete and one girl even won it all and now you say that all boys at this level are pip squeaks and weak. Of course they are weak and small, they are 112 fucking pounds and thus women at this weight can easily compete in strength, speed and technique. You are not making any sense at all.

daycru

Bob's point about weight is so weird, there are UFC fighters who fight at 126. Do they need to gain 50 pounds to take their careers seriously? Some people are just small.

Big-E said:
WTF are you arguing? People here are saying that women can compete at these weight classes easily but you go on about how males have such a huge advantage that it isn't fair. Evidence is given that women at these classes can compete and one girl even won it all and now you say that all boys at this level are pip squeaks and weak. Of course they are weak and small, they are 112 fucking pounds and thus women at this weight can easily compete in strength, speed and technique. You are not making any sense at all.
Dude, you're getting 2 completely seperate conversations confused. In one conversation I said that this one particular tall, scrawny kid is obviously not a serious athlete or a good wrestler. In the other conversation I said that good, 114 pound male athletes can physically dominate good, 114 pound female athletes. I even provided statistics to back up these claims.

Now do this board a favor and stop talking as if you are knowledgable about stuff you're clueless about.

Slavik81

Shanadeus said:
The reason he'd avoid wrestling with the black man would be because his religion prohibits this. The reason this young fellow didn't want to wrestle with this girl was also because his religion prohibits close contact between females and males:

"As a matter of conscience and faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

Or am I misinterpreting this statement?
Take it one step deeper than that. Why does his religion say that? "My religion says so" isn't a good reason for anything, but perhaps his religion provides a reason. They often do.

Bungalow Bob said:
In my highschool of 200 people, there was one. He was quite good, though I weighed 50 pounds more and could toss him around like a twig.

tiff

Banned
Bungalow Bob said:
Dude, you're getting 2 completely seperate conversations confused. In one conversation I said that this one particular tall, scrawny kid is obviously not a serious athlete or a good wrestler. In the other conversation I said that good, 114 pound male athletes can physically dominate good, 114 pound female athletes. I even provided statistics to back up these claims.

Now do this board a favor and stop talking as if you are knowledgable about stuff you're clueless about.
But if there's no such thing as a good 114 pound male wrestler then what's the point in comparing one to a good 114 pound female one?

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:

Your stats that you did not provide a link to infer dead lifting done by advanced male and female athletes. Do you have the dead lift numbers for all the people competing in high school wrestling? People here are saying that women here can compete at this level because not everyone male at high school is a fucking bantam weight ufc fighter. These are high school kids not fucking jacked up advanced athletes. Some are going to be jacked but a lot aren't so there is no reason why a female can't compete in these divisions.

tiff said:
But if there's no such thing as a good 114 pound male wrestler then what's the point in comparing one to a good 114 pound female one?

Truth. Dudes a joke. Even docpan has more fucking sense than this guy. Blargh men are so much stronger at this weight class it aint even funny, then he goes on to say that the division is a joke and any one worth their salt will be wrestling at light heavy.

tiff said:
They do exist but they're as rare as shiny pokemon (because there are so few guys who are around 4'9"). Just check out the post above yours for an example from a GAFer.

Big-E said:
Your stats that you did not provide a link to infer dead lifting done by advanced male and female athletes. Do you have the dead lift numbers for all the people competing in high school wrestling? People here are saying that women here can compete at this level because not everyone male at high school is a fucking bantam weight ufc fighter. These are high school kids not fucking jacked up advanced athletes. Some are going to be jacked but a lot aren't so there is no reason why a female can't compete in these divisions.
I clearly said that the stats I provided come from Practical Programming. It's a book by Mark Rippetoe. Since you seem like the kind of guy that pretends to be knowledgable about sports, I recommend that you buy his books so that you can actually become knowledgable on this subject.

Big-E

Bungalow Bob said:
I clearly said that the stats I provided come from Practical Programming. It's a book by Mark Rippetoe. Since you seem like the kind of guy that pretends to be knowledgable about sports, I recommend that you buy his books so that you can actually become knowledgable on this subject.

So because I am so ignorant how about you explain the age of the athletes that he was looking at? Stop with the condescending attitude. Fact is that women can compete at these levels and do well and it is not because the boys they are facing have no talent and don't give a damn about the sport.

Draft

Not for nothing, but Rip pulled those charts out of PP rev 2 for numerous reasons, one being they get dragged into ridiculous arguments like this.

Dresden

Bungalow Bob said:
Stop being a condescending ass.

And the fact is that this chick beat down all these dudes to get to where she was. It's simple. She competed. She won. Everything else is just spin.

aeiko

Banned
if a girl hit me, i'd smack her the fuck back. they are for equal rights after all aren't they? oh and that wrestler kid is a little bitch for not wrestling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom